PDA

View Full Version : How do i remove this virus?

Orefus
09-19-2005, 07:48 PM
i got this off aim Hacktool.Rootkit, how do i remove it, my firewall is keeping it secluded in my pc, but i want it out, im running norton anti virus, but thats being weird, cuz i didint purchase it, got it with pc, and it tells me to update.... w.e? How can i remove it manuallly?

Rockefella
09-19-2005, 07:49 PM
i got this off aim Hacktool.Rootkit, how do i remove it, my firewall is keeping it secluded in my pc, but i want it out, im running norton anti virus, but thats being weird, cuz i didint purchase it, got it with pc, and it tells me to update.... w.e? How can i remove it manuallly?
If it's an AIM problem, hit me up on AIM or MSN.

scottie300z
09-19-2005, 08:57 PM
just double click on your norton antivirus, then click on your quarintine and there will be an option to delete it.

car_fiend
09-19-2005, 09:13 PM
or if that doesnt help, try finding an online virus detecter/remover. um... i think pandasoftware.com is good for that if i remember correctly. one of my friends told me about the site after i got into a little virus trouble a couple of years back, and their "free", not sure if its still there havent checked in like maybe 2-3 years, online virus scan told me the virus, and disinfected my computer after scanning the whole hard drive. im not spamming, just giving some help here!!!

ZemoButts
09-19-2005, 09:49 PM
wht dont you just update norton anti virus. if your live update isnt working you can manually download the updates form download.com
or
if norton knows which virus it is go to thier website and look for it on there and they should tell you how to get rid of it.

i guess it has something to do with system restore(cuz thats the virus i had)

Matra et Alpine
09-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Yeah 'free' Norton with your PC is only for the first year.
If you don't pay the annual fees then you sdon't get the updates for the new virus patterns.

Removing virus manually isn't for the faint-hearted as it often requries registry edits and restarting in safe mode etc etc.

No need to though as there are a number of 'free' on-line scanners that will remove it.
I always point folks here first -- http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
It's fast, ALWAYS up to date and very effective in auto-removal. It has even in the past removed ones that Norton didn't !!!!
Panda is good, but not maybe as well supported as Trend's.

2ndclasscitizen
09-20-2005, 03:22 AM
AVG Free edition is good, also get the latest version of Lavasoft Ad Aware, that is really good and might get it as well.

Prius
09-20-2005, 03:37 AM
SPyware doctor would probilly find it, but about Norton, you don't get free updates after 90s within purchase.

Alastor
09-20-2005, 04:58 AM
AVG Free edition is good, also get the latest version of Lavasoft Ad Aware, that is really good and might get it as well.

AVG is ok, but there is better free anti-virus software out there.

Both:

Avast: http://www.avast.com/

and,

BitDefender: http://www.bitdefender.com/

have a better success rate at detecting viruses.

tmnt_ppn
09-20-2005, 07:57 AM
how about Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal? it works quiet well for me.

The_Canuck
09-20-2005, 12:46 PM
my question is how to get rid of lycos dam that things annoying

my porsche
09-20-2005, 04:36 PM
i thought this was another "orefice seeks medical advice" thread