PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Palmer unveils new Quantum 240GT

Matra et Alpine
09-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Quantum 240GT has been unveiled by Jonathan Palmer attracting unprescendented attention from both media and enthuasists.

Ex Formula One driver and owner of Motorsport Vision, Jonathan Palmer, launched Quantum's brand new model at the Totalkitcarlive! show at Brands Hatch.

The Quantum 240GT has been under development over the past 12 months, its phenomenal road holding and handling - will no doubt make it a force to be reckoned with.

Jonathan Palmer, talking to QSC Technical Director, John Sampson, at the launch of the Quantum 240GT, was impressed with the new model, predicting it would have an exciting future.

Hopefully will be able to get a hands-on report for UCPers :)

Looking good EXCEPT rumoured price is about the same as a second hand Ultima. THAT's going to be a hard sell :D

spi-ti-tout
09-22-2005, 08:11 AM
It looks a bit like an NSX
Don't like those wheels - but I suppose they help

And I think you get these second hand ones pretty cheap nowadays ;)

http://www007.upp.so-net.ne.jp/go-tatsu/leopard.jpg/ultima.jpg

:D :D

Matra et Alpine
09-22-2005, 08:17 AM
It looks a bit like an NSX
Don't like those wheels - but I suppose they help
hmm didnt' see any NSX about it but that's because to me it's all Darrian.

Yeah, the wheels are Compomotive MO - competition rims reflecting the intended purpose of the car. It's not for the posers and bling-bling set :D Functional/strong/light.

spi-ti-tout
09-22-2005, 08:42 AM
hmm didnt' see any NSX about it but that's because to me it's all Darrian.
Aaahhhh Darrian. James told me about them once. British right?
Couldn't believe something that low was rallying nearly-offroad in the pic he showed me :eek:

Anyways, about the relevance. Notice the long low 2-seater body panel and air intakes from the side, the only difference being that the one in the NSX is at the back end and the one in the Quantum near the front wheels. But I do agree that next to eachother, the 240GT looks very plain and simple, but competiton like.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=130827

NSX

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/6135/blacknsx6bp.jpg

Yeah, the wheels are Compomotive MO - competition rims reflecting the intended purpose of the car. It's not for the posers and bling-bling set :D Functional/strong/light.
I remember once you mentioned something about WRC and racing wheels being designed to allow air to enter in the car from down there and to cool the brakes, or something like that. Can't remember the forum/thread but it was long ago. Now notice the wheels on the Darrian, they (to me) seem to bigger with not-all-to-big-'holes', especially in the front. How come?

Coventrysucks
09-22-2005, 10:59 AM
1980s styling definately could have used a little development.

And these manufacturers wonder why no one wants to buy their cars...

You'll sell to a couple of "enthusiasts" maybe, but with that poor F40 rip-off you'll never be able to take on the likes of Radical, Ariel, Westfield, Grinnall, Deronda, Ultima, Caterham etc, etc, etc.

How much does it really cost to design and build a FRP bodyshell?

magracer
09-22-2005, 11:06 AM
1980s styling definately could have used a little development.?

Exactly what I had in my head. I think he's going to have a though time getting rid of them.

If it's track oriented (as I suspect it is) I think Radical will have them covered, and if it's road, well, hmm... nobody needs such a retro looking kit car.

Matra et Alpine
09-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Aaahhhh Darrian. James told me about them once. British right?
yep, amazingly strong and very agile ( sorry about the big wing, everybody has one fitted now :) )
http://www.darrianireland.com/darrian3.gif

I remember once you mentioned something about WRC and racing wheels being designed to allow air to enter in the car from down there and to cool the brakes, or something like that. Can't remember the forum/thread but it was long ago. Now notice the wheels on the Darrian, they (to me) seem to bigger with not-all-to-big-'holes', especially in the front. How come?
Did you mean to post a pic of the Darrian or are you referring to the Quantum ?

Wheels are all about strength and weight and cooling.
So there are trade-offs to make.
Notice on the Quantum that they've got Compo CRX (I think) wheels on the rear with wider spoke pattern. That might be for weight OR it may be for cooling. Couldn't' tell without much closer inspection and experience of the car.
The fronts are wider web so more capable of handling twist stresses and surviving the occasional kerbing :)

If wheel choice was a simple static decision then they'd all look the same.
Trade-offs are inevitable and for light cars one of the problems can be keeping the brakes UP to temperature :) Another reason why the fronts may be MOs.

Of course it may just be that those were the wheels they fitted on that run because they had the right compounds mounted :D

Dino Scuderia
09-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Light and functional don't have to be ugly...this beast is though.

Suka
09-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Quantum 240GT has been unveiled by Jonathan Palmer attracting unprescendented attention from both media and enthuasists.

Ex Formula One driver and owner of Motorsport Vision, Jonathan Palmer, launched Quantum's brand new model at the Totalkitcarlive! show at Brands Hatch.

The Quantum 240GT has been under development over the past 12 months, its phenomenal road holding and handling - will no doubt make it a force to be reckoned with.

Jonathan Palmer, talking to QSC Technical Director, John Sampson, at the launch of the Quantum 240GT, was impressed with the new model, predicting it would have an exciting future.

Hopefully will be able to get a hands-on report for UCPers :)

Looking good EXCEPT rumoured price is about the same as a second hand Ultima. THAT's going to be a hard sell :D

I might have been a bit too quiet on this subject! I was at Brands Hatch to watch it race round the track. The car is amazing, and it shot round the track very fast indeed. Jonathan Palmer flew in, in his helicopter and stayed a few hours. It sounds amazing and goes to match. On the track it was pushed right to its limits and then they lost control as the back stepped out of line on one of the final corners of the track, this event i watched myself because the GTM Cars show stand (which our Libra was on) was on the outside of that corner.
I stood next to Steve Hole (the owner of totalkitcar and the organiser of the event) while he interviewed the french man behind the project. It was funny to watch Steve (who is also a GTM owner) as he tried to look interested in what the Frenchman said.
I spose i should post my pictures of the day.
Here we go.
Steve Hole's Spyder going round the track, our Libra on the GTM Cars stand, a Chevy 5.7 V8 in the Factory Luego Viento and a few cars out on track.

Suka
09-22-2005, 11:36 AM
A Libra (which i had a ride in, and it was so very fast) out on track, Steve Hole trying to look interested in what the Frenchman has to say, Steve Hole's Daughters (?) going out in his Spyder and me out in the Factory Luego Viento, which is so, so fast with that V8 in.

Suka
09-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Me again in the Luego Viento, Jonathan Palmer leaving in his helicopter, a 1.6 Libra driven and owned by Peter Osbourne and a 1.8 Libra driven and owned by Lee Champion. Both the Libras are customers cars but as a club (TeamGTM) we do the track action for the factory, so potential customers can experience the ride for themselves. Thats all my photos that are of any interest. I was being mean and keeping the news of the new Quantum/french thing from Peter but i spose it wasn't going to last long.

Matra et Alpine
09-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Where's the pics of the Quantum :(

Was it on the full GP track or the Indy ?

Was it exit stage left when the back stepped out or did it get back ??
Which corner ? Left hander Surtees folliwing right hander McLaren or final Clark ? There is a NASTY transition at the pit entrance on Clark, caught me out a few times too :D

Suka
09-22-2005, 12:18 PM
My Dad had the camera for the whole day, he was doing a lot of photo taking for the TeamGTM caption competition, so he never got round to taking one of the Quantum.
It was on the Indy circuit, as he came off the Cooper straight and into Surtees, i think he must have clipped the curb on the inside as he threw it into the corner. He was going very fast and it swapped ends, no hope of holding it, he kind of caught it on the slide but it just slowed the rotations so he gave up. It did a few rotations as it span towards the barrier but it stopped short and he carried on. I think he was just right on the limit coming through Surtees and over-cooked it.

Matra et Alpine
09-22-2005, 12:23 PM
oh hell yes, down the hill and onto Cooper is flat out and you HAVE to brake for Surtees and it's not straight. So easy :( Glad they didnt' rap it, THAT would have been embarrassing :D

Dino Scuderia
09-22-2005, 12:23 PM
How many cars does GTM sell per year approx.?

Suka
09-22-2005, 12:25 PM
oh hell yes, down the hill and onto Cooper is flat out and you HAVE to brake for Surtees and it's not straight. So easy :( Glad they didnt' rap it, THAT would have been embarrassing :D
Yes especially since they brought it over from France esspecially and the owner of the French company was there to witness.

Suka
09-22-2005, 12:28 PM
How many cars does GTM sell per year approx.?
I am not sure, i would say around 25, 50. I'm really not sure, maybe even up to 75.

Matra et Alpine
09-23-2005, 03:38 AM
Update from Quantum factory ......

hello peter ,
the 240gt will be eligible for hill climb and sprints. we are also aiming for saloon / circuit racing , the queron designer is currently investigating its eligibility in different classes . we do not yet have a brochure as the vehicle has just been launched. i will keep your details on file and as soon as we have more info will be in contact. the first 240gt will be ready mid march 2006 and subsequent cars thereafter . trackday / testing facilities will be organised

Still a long time to go, but at least track tests for potential (:)) owners will be in warmer/driery weather :D

Suka
09-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Update from Quantum factory ......

hello peter ,
the 240gt will be eligible for hill climb and sprints. we are also aiming for saloon / circuit racing , the queron designer is currently investigating its eligibility in different classes . we do not yet have a brochure as the vehicle has just been launched. i will keep your details on file and as soon as we have more info will be in contact. the first 240gt will be ready mid march 2006 and subsequent cars thereafter . trackday / testing facilities will be organised

Still a long time to go, but at least track tests for potential (:)) owners will be in warmer/driery weather :D
Think of putting in an order?

Matra et Alpine
09-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Think of putting in an order?
If it gets me a test ride I'll tell them anything they want to hear :D

The rumoured price is crazy, but is only a rumour :) If it was lower then it would be worth looking at. Second hand Radical SR-3 are getting cheaper now the SR8's out there :) Still trygin to find an elusive A110 for rally/hillclimb/sprint, but as decent ones are like hens teeth I need to get something to compete in and stop holding out for the Alpine.

Alternatively - but I would need to get "fitter" - I know where there's an ex Formula Renault single seater going very VERY cheap :) Too many choices and none of them my perfect one :(

Ferg
09-24-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't know how much the thing weighs, but the thing I noticed about it was how all the rear bodywork vibrated when it was ticking over. The GRP was incredibly thin. When I first noticed it 'round the track it reminded me of the old Nimbus.

Cadillac Imaj
09-26-2005, 06:19 PM
i kinda like that car.
the first quantum i liked.

Suka
09-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Its not a Quantum, its a Queron. Quantum Just sell it for them in the UK. Its a French car.