PDA

View Full Version : Dodge viper vs F16 is this true?

guyonblackYBX
09-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Hiya
guys,
a friend of mine mailed me the following story, how many of you came across this story, is that true? if it is true then can anyone elaborate tha story again if you dont mind, or can anyone give me any related link where ic an fin pics or more info about this intresting pice of info. n thx a lot for your awesome response on my first thread. the story is as follows

you will be surprised to know that in one
replies-belive it or not, they showed a race between
doge viper and f16 fighter plane. The race was like
this, they both start from zero and since the plane is
on groud before take off, they fixed a distance that
was to be covered. Now the thing is people think that
the best figher plane can win this race without any
prob. and yes it won, but only in photo finish, plane
nose was fraction ahead of car at the line.

Naveen :cool:

:Exige:
09-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Monster Bullsh*t. A Ferrari F1 car only fractionally beat an F16.

guyonblackYBX
09-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Thx for that opinion :Exige:

Dino Scuderia
09-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Monster Bullsh*t. A Ferrari F1 car only fractionally beat an F16.

Not only that but as well a Viper is not a European Car. ;)

Mustang
09-23-2005, 12:36 PM
its true

Mustang
09-23-2005, 12:36 PM
look viper Vs F16

http://new-cars.com/news/photos/030317-dodge-viper-vs-viper.jpg

and the finish

http://www.roadcompanion.ca/edito/mag/articles/31910/viper_vs_F16_g.jpg

Rockefella
09-23-2005, 12:37 PM
It depends on the distance I suppose. If the race was to 1,000 feet, then they would prob. be about even, but after that, it'd be F16 ownage.

dydzi
09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
It depends on the distance I suppose. If the race was to 1,000 feet, then they would prob. be about even, but after that, it'd be F16 ownage.

if it'd be more f16 would fly away... :rolleyes:

guyonblackYBX
09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Hiya
Dino, didnt realise that, how can i shift this post to american forum?
Naveen

Coventrysucks
09-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Michael Schumacher lost to a Eurofighter over 900 and 1200 metres, but was fractionally ahead at 600 metres.

If an F16 is slower than a Eurofighter from a standing start, and the "race distance" was relatively short, 4-500 metres for example, then the Viper could win.

Or you could just use Google :rolleyes:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0506_dodge_viper_f16/

Dino Scuderia
09-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Hiya
Dino, didnt realise that, how can i shift this post to american forum?
Naveen

Only the gods of moderation can do that.
:p

Mustang
09-23-2005, 12:42 PM
oh and there was always this viper ...

New Dodge Viper Stages Low-Altitude Dogfight Against Air Force F-16

In a head-to-head match up of tire-shredding horsepower against high-flying afterburner thrust, the new 500 hp Dodge Viper SRT-10 challenged the United States Air Force's leading multi-role fighter in acceleration trials held at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale, Arizona.

The event was held March 23-24 2002, as part of the annual Luke Days air show. "Ripley's Believe It Or Not," TBS Superstation's original reality series hosted by Dean Cain, was on hand to tape the race. The program will air the outcome of the race July 10.

"It was an absolutely awesome ride," said Herb Helbig, Senior Manager, Vehicle Synthesis, Performance Vehicle Operations (PVO) at DaimlerChrysler Corp. "Ripley's got us racing the jet both times -- with and without afterburners -- using the Dodge Viper SRT-10 and the Competition Coupe. There were almost 140,000 people in attendance, and they were all lining the fences cheering their hearts out for their favorite Viper."

Billed as "Viper vs. Viper," the race pitted car against jet in a side-by-side, standing-start, 1/2-mile drag race on parallel air base runways. Dodge Vipers raced the F-16 -- nicknamed the "Viper" -- to the speed at which the jet became airborne: approximately 150 mph. The Dodge Viper covered the course in around 15 seconds.

Both the first and second days' races featured a pre-production version of the 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible, driven by Helbig, against the Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon, flown at military power by Captain Glen "Nugget" Richards of the 309th Fighter Squadron (known as the "Wild Ducks") based at Luke AFB.

Each day then pitted a prototype 2003 Dodge Viper Competition Coupe against another F-16 Viper flown by Captain Dan Potas -- call sign "Scrappy" -- also from the Wild Ducks. For the second showdown, DaimlerChrysler's PVO team would tap more horsepower and make their runs on racing slicks, while the USAF countered with a takeoff run at full afterburner.

In the "tale of the tape," the F-16 boasts approximately 25,000 pounds of thrust in a compact, 19,000-pound package capable of more than 1,500 mph. In comparison, the Dodge Viper's 500-plus pound-feet of torque, 3,357-pound curb weight and 190 mph top speed earn it the honor of being America's Ultimate Sportscar.

"It was a chance for us to have a little fun," added Helbig. "We're proud of the Dodge Viper's performance capabilities, and this was a chance to race for bragging rights against one of the few things capable of matching the Viper's acceleration. We're also very proud to have been invited here to support Luke Air Force Base and our nation's military."

The Luke Days air show is hosted by the USAF 56th Fighter Wing, the nation's largest, under the command of Brig. General Steve Sargeant. Luke AFB is the primary training ground for United States F-16 pilots, playing a key role in U.S. national defense.

The Competition Coupe's predecessor -- called the Dodge Viper GTS-R -- earned five international GT championships including the 1999 and 2000 American Le Mans Series GTS Class titles, and the 1997-1999 FIA GT Championships. The Viper finished 1-2 in the Le Mans 24 Hours GTS class in three consecutive years and notched an overall win at the 2000 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, the first for an American production-based car.

Next

New Dodge Viper Stages Low-Altitude Dogfight Against Air Force F-16

http://www.modernracer.com/features/dodgevipervsf16headline2.jpg

09-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I thought you meant over a proper distance ... not something that short!

d-quik
09-23-2005, 12:50 PM
whoever thinks the f-16 is the best fighter is a dumbass

bobobobo
09-23-2005, 01:09 PM
the viper is the best car ever done

MOPAR KICKS ASS
09-23-2005, 01:09 PM
hmm wut about the fastest cars on the planet vs. the best fighter planes in the world?

MOPAR KICKS ASS
09-23-2005, 01:13 PM
think on that

suzq044
09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
its actually true, when the F16 is on its wheels, not in the air. lol [i saw it on tv]

dydzi
09-23-2005, 01:27 PM
whoever thinks the f-16 is the best fighter is a dumbass

even if f16 is not the best fighter is the most popular one and is always associated with fastest planes, it's not about performance it's only gimmicky

guyonblackYBX
09-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Hiya
Guys,
thx a lot for the info, am awestruck, i mean te responce time was real quick. Thx a lot. n thx to moderator who moved this thread from "European Forum" to "American Forum"
Naveen

Rockefella
09-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Hiya
Guys,
thx a lot for the info, am awestruck, i mean te responce time was real quick. Thx a lot. n thx to moderator who moved this thread from "European Forum" to "American Forum"
Naveen
UCP > Internet. You have experienced it, now go spread the word. :)

d-quik
09-23-2005, 03:14 PM
is the most popular one...in the western world
is always associated with fastest planes...no wth?

09-23-2005, 03:22 PM
the viper is the best car ever done
http://tuxick.net/pics/leet.jpg

Smithman
09-23-2005, 03:24 PM

ROFL! That's getting bookmarked.

CdocZ
09-23-2005, 03:40 PM

Oh
My
God
That
Is
AWESOME

EDIT: Wow, that was messed!! I just saw this again, and saw "edited by Rock", and I was like "HOLY CRAP I forgot he was a mod!!!" I was so confused hahahaha.

"Clevor" Angel
09-23-2005, 05:44 PM
I watched the episode. Thats an older one from like 1 or 2 years ago and its completely true. It was a stock, red, 03 or 04 viper srt-10.

ps- the FA-18 is the most "popular", everyone uses 'em.

Matra et Alpine
09-23-2005, 05:56 PM
The distance chosen is picked to provide the desired result.

Just like the famous Top Gear F1 versus WRC Focus versus Ford 'thing'. Each passed the other on the last corner. hey WOW, liek it's not hard to clacualte lap timesnad then decide what gap to start them off at to have them pass the next slower on the last corner.

Same here. get the specs for each, work out when the plane passes the car and draw an arbitrary finish line just before it. Run race. Hey wow, the car won, no sh!t :)

2ndclasscitizen
09-24-2005, 12:03 AM
they can only do it over these distances because after the distance, the plane would take off

dydzi
09-24-2005, 02:19 AM
...in the western world...no wth?

i wanted to say that when someone say f16 you think about something really fast. please remember english isn't my first language and i'm still learning :o

Matra et Alpine
09-24-2005, 05:48 AM
they can only do it over these distances because after the distance, the plane would take off
again, PR-speak.

The plane COULD be run with no flaps and slight pitch down and delay V1 - the normal rotation point to pitch the nose up and take off.

It's a stupid comparison in my mind anyway and alwasy will be. Cars get traction by tyres. Planes get "traction" by exhaust speed. Of course a car will beat a plane away from scratch, that's physics, and of course a plane will beat a car on top sped for the same reasons - physics. EVERYTHING else in the comparison is only car manufacturers getting publicity.

They'd be as well saying there car can be painted quicker than a plane :D
Worryingly , SOME fanboys would still think that important if it let them notch up another for their favourite :D

Dino Scuderia
09-24-2005, 05:51 AM
again, PR-speak.

The plane COULD be run with no flaps and slight pitch down and delay V1 - the normal rotation point to pitch the nose up and take off.

It's a stupid comparison in my mind anyway and alwasy will be. Cars get traction by tyres. Planes get "traction" by exhaust speed. Of course a car will beat a plane away from scratch, that's physics, and of course a plane will beat a car on top sped for the same reasons - physics. EVERYTHING else in the comparison is only car manufacturers getting publicity.

They'd be as well saying there car can be painted quicker than a plane :D
Worryingly , SOME fanboys would still think that important if it let them notch up another for their favourite :D

So true.

CdocZ
09-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Interesting. Matra, once again, you have my admiration (but not for knowing an insane fact this time)

Smithman
09-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Oh
My
God
That
Is
AWESOME

EDIT: Wow, that was messed!! I just saw this again, and saw "edited by Rock", and I was like "HOLY CRAP I forgot he was a mod!!!" I was so confused hahahaha.

LOL...I never realized Rock was a mod either. Gogo paying attention me! :p

Sorry 'bout the bandwidth, didn't even think about it. I'll make a point of not quoting pictures again. :D

crisis
09-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Or you could just use Google :rolleyes:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0506_dodge_viper_f16/
"The idea was originally concocted by Tony Estes, a past president of the Viper Club of America, and Cameron White, who were both honorary base commanders at the time."
I think not. I think a F1 raced a F18 in Australia and this cr@p pops up nearly every year. Initially a jet will take more time to accelerate than almost any high powered car. It obviously all comes down to the length of the race. but these races are not about winners anyway.

10-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Hiya
guys,
a friend of mine mailed me the following story, how many of you came across this story, is that true? if it is true then can anyone elaborate tha story again if you dont mind, or can anyone give me any related link where ic an fin pics or more info about this intresting pice of info. n thx a lot for your awesome response on my first thread. the story is as follows

you will be surprised to know that in one
replies-belive it or not, they showed a race between
doge viper and f16 fighter plane. The race was like
this, they both start from zero and since the plane is
on groud before take off, they fixed a distance that
was to be covered. Now the thing is people think that
the best figher plane can win this race without any
prob. and yes it won, but only in photo finish, plane
nose was fraction ahead of car at the line.

Naveen :cool:

I read about in car and driver
they raced them because the F16 was special version with extra weapons known as the Viper
the dodge viper lost badly

Forever92
10-12-2005, 04:32 PM
yep yep... saw it. :Dhttp://img110.exs.cx/img110/2305/tupanirev1wl.gif

F1_Master
10-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I read about in car and driver
they raced them because the F16 was special version with extra weapons known as the Viper
the dodge viper lost badly
OH yeah, it lost badly.
I know you guys don't like reading a whole thread, but for god's sake, at least read the 1st page.:rolleyes:

I brought this up before a long time ago, and everyone called "bullsh*t" on me.:rolleyes:

SolidStradale
10-15-2005, 09:53 PM
How about a race between any car and a F-14 launched off a catapult, like on an aircraft carrier.(But not actually on the carrier.)