PDA

View Full Version : Racing circuits from the air

Plutus
09-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I was flying to Munich on Monday for business and looked out of the window about half way through my journey. I recognised a shape carved out of the dark green carpet below - it was an amazingly clear day! Took me a few seconds to realise that I was staring down at Spa Francorchamps. Have any of you seen GP (or any racing) circuits from the air? Which ones? (and no Google Earth doesn't count!!)

Edit: I can move this to Misc. threads if it bothers anyone that it is in the Racing forum.

henk4
09-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Spa as well, on trip down from Amsterdam

and I hope and expect that you consider Munich to be one of the lousiests airports in Europe

Plutus
09-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Depends if you fly Lufthansa (or Star Alliance). If you do, you get to fly from the new terminal and it's OK. If not, it's pretty sh!tty.

Do you get to Spa very often - as a "local" lad? One of my sales guys in Belgium has been promising to get tickets for the Belgian GP as corporate entertainment for clients and says I'll be one of the first in the queue. 5 years on, I've still not been :(

henk4
09-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Depends if you fly Lufthansa (or Star Alliance). If you do, you get to fly from the new terminal and it's OK. If not, it's pretty sh!tty.

Do you get to Spa very often - as a "local" lad? One of my sales guys in Belgium has been promising to get tickets for the Belgian GP as corporate entertainment for clients and says I'll be one of the first in the queue. 5 years on, I've still not been :(

normally once a year, but only for the historics, modern F1 does not provide enough value for money.

(if Munich is your destination then you are lucky, if you have to catch a transfer, then you are in deep shit...even with Lufthansa, they don't like the airport either)

Plutus
09-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Thankfully I rarely transfer, usually I am lucky enough that there is a direct flight heading to my destination. Or at least I stay in Munich and get driven around at ridiculous speeds by colleagues.

Last F1 race I went to at Silverstone was 2 years ago. Tickets were ridiculous. Pretty good race tho'. Where would you recommend sitting at Spa? Radillon must have a good (if not rather brief) view of the cars.

henk4
09-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Thankfully I rarely transfer, usually I am lucky enough that there is a direct flight heading to my destination. Or at least I stay in Munich and get driven around at ridiculous speeds by colleagues.

Last F1 race I went to at Silverstone was 2 years ago. Tickets were ridiculous. Pretty good race tho'. Where would you recommend sitting at Spa? Radillon must have a good (if not rather brief) view of the cars.

The Raidillon grandstand shows the cars coming out of La source (in the distance) and then until they really pass you. The Grandstand opposite the original pit box section (so after the La source hairpin) has may be a better view, because you can see them going up the Raidillon from there.

johnnyperl
09-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Monza...

adamfraser
09-23-2005, 04:11 PM
If you have Google Earth then you can see most race tracks from the sky. I will try find a link to Matra's thread about it.

adamfraser
09-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Here we go.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16617

henk4
09-24-2005, 12:57 AM
If you have Google Earth then you can see most race tracks from the sky. I will try find a link to Matra's thread about it.

see post number 1: Google Earth does NOT count :D

TVR IS KING
09-24-2005, 01:32 AM
i dont have google earth...
can anyone find me some pics of nurburgring from the air?
nurburgring nordschlief in germany
i dont tihnk the last word is right
its an awesome track though

adamfraser
09-24-2005, 02:55 AM
see post number 1: Google Earth does NOT count :D

Damn!

TVR - Give me a few minutes, il see if i can get something from google earth.

adamfraser
09-24-2005, 03:00 AM
nurburgring - with an outline.

TVR IS KING
09-24-2005, 03:25 AM
thanks dude thats kool
i love nurburgring GT4!!!!

Matra et Alpine
09-24-2005, 05:50 AM
nurburgring - with an outline.
Hey you haven't asked my permission to use the images created for the UCP tracks file.

That doubles my fee. Please send TWO pints to me at ........... :D :D :D

sunk
09-25-2005, 03:18 AM
I think I saw Silverastone while flying to France.

adamfraser
09-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Crap!!! How am i gonna get two pints to you?

what beer do you want? :p

spi-ti-tout
09-25-2005, 04:28 AM

Don't complain! Send him the druggiest beer and steal his Matra while he's sleeping!

Uh-oh, security breach :eek:

See the harm of drink :D

adamfraser
09-25-2005, 05:43 AM
Hire some thugs and steal his 2 Matras and his Alpine! Muahahahaha

*Peter runs out the house and drives his cars to a safe place*

spi-ti-tout
09-25-2005, 07:55 AM
*Peter runs out the house and drives his cars to a safe place*
*Ahem*
That's for HIM to say :p

Matra et Alpine
09-25-2005, 01:53 PM

Kames Speed challenge this weekend ???

Mates Alpine GTA will be looking to take 3rd place in the championship :)

I'm originally from Airdrie, ANY kind of beer :D. Hell ANY kind of ALCOHOL :D

Matra et Alpine
09-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Hire some thugs and steal his 2 Matras and his Alpine! Muahahahaha
You'll need crane and a flat-bed for the Matras :(

adamfraser
09-25-2005, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately, wont be able to make it. too many essays to do for english!

Err... we will hire 2 vans and tow the Matras :p

Matra et Alpine
09-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately, wont be able to make it. too many essays to do for english!

Err... we will hire 2 vans and tow the Matras :p
As one of them is a stripped chassis with bits spread over mates garages and the other one is seized SOLID, you'll be lucky :D

TVR IS KING
09-26-2005, 01:13 AM
what does matra et alpine mean?
if i may say so this thread has gone to hell

Matra et Alpine
09-26-2005, 07:35 AM
what does matra et alpine mean?
I own some classic French sports cars.
The "voitures-francais'R'nous" == French cars'r'us
"matra et alpine" == French for matra and alpine ... two great marques

if i may say so this thread has gone to hell
Wow, it's a FIRST.
An Aussie complaining about a thread going off topic :)

it's OK, "TVR", we're used to things strayign occasionally. your countrymen are the worst offenders :D

Don't worry, the thread will come back on topic or die out.... or at some point turn into a defense of GWB !!!!

TVR IS KING
09-27-2005, 02:32 AM
oh its not a first, i complain tons. "TVR"? whats that supposed 2 mean??
lol
ill have you know i poseted this as i was annoyed because i didnt know what you were talking about
i have many threads which now have no resemblence to their name. and im not from the country, just a small town.
GWB?
ill have you know also, that i am a n00b.
what does matra et alpine mean???