carreragt_crazy
Porsche Carrera GT amd Porsche 996 911 GT2
Mont Tremblant Racetrack
This past Tuesday
HP PhotoSmart 850
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=129536

adamfraser
09-24-2005, 03:28 PM
It is very close this week, although i have to sat Fumacher has it for me. It is just an awesome pic.

250 GTO
09-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Fumacher's pic is great, but carreragt_crazy's pic is amazing.

Esperante
09-24-2005, 04:52 PM
I still think this voting system is completely flawed.

250 GTO
09-24-2005, 04:59 PM
I still think this voting system is completely flawed.
why do think its flawed? :confused:

Esperante
09-24-2005, 05:04 PM
why do think its flawed? :confused:
It's bit complex, but here it goes....

Let's say you, 250 GTO entered a photo, and it got placed into thread 1 where it went against stiff competition. Your pic recieved 3 votes, while, say, Rok's pic got about 25. Rox has an amazing pic this week, so your pic, although good, gets next to nil attention. Had yours been placed in thread 2, with much easier to handle competition, your pic could've easily garnered enough to compete with Rok's. While this 'new and improved' voting system will still determine a winner, it's absolutely ridiculous because every single standing outside of first place is skewed.

That's the simplest I can put it. I could go deeper, but it's hard to explain.

250 GTO
09-24-2005, 05:17 PM

Let's say you, 250 GTO entered a photo, and it got placed into thread 1 where it went against stiff competition. Your pic recieved 3 votes, while, say, Rok's pic got about 25. Rox has an amazing pic this week, so your pic, although good, gets next to nil attention. Had yours been placed in thread 2, with much easier to handle competition, your pic could've easily garnered enough to compete with Rok's. While this 'new and improved' voting system will still determine a winner, it's absolutely ridiculous because every single standing outside of first place is skewed.

O.k. thanks for explaining it. :)

my porsche
09-24-2005, 05:20 PM
i understand, but if it loses to the stiff competition early on, isnt it better than winning and getting a false sense of hope and then losing to the same photo in the final?

Niko_Fx
09-24-2005, 05:26 PM

"Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions" :)

Seriously, I know what you mean but what can be done about it? Polls hold a maximum of 15 entries and we are getting about 20 each week.

Your pic got several votes (including one I gave you ;)) so I see where you're coming from.... But given the fact that you lost against CGT_Crazy in the "preliminaries", wouldn't the outcome of the run-off be the same?

my porsche
09-24-2005, 05:32 PM
i voted for you too if it matters:D

Esperante
09-24-2005, 05:34 PM
"Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions" :)

Seriously, I know what you mean but what can be done about it? Polls hold a maximum of 15 entries and we are getting about 20 each week.

Your pic got several votes (including one I gave you ;)) so I see where you're coming from.... But given the fact that you lost against CGT_Crazy in the "preliminaries", wouldn't the outcome of the run-off be the same?
I'm not complaining about my loss-had the new idea not come along I would've gotten dramatically less votes, as CGT truly had the better picture. What can be done? Still have two threads, but make it a lot more clear that you can only vote in one thread, for one person. I said before that the winner of each comp will still be properly selected, but all other standings are skewed.

I really don't want to sound like a whiner, but the photography comps here are acquiring a notorious reputation for being a bit skewed themseelves. :)

my porsche
09-24-2005, 05:41 PM
yeah especially since i have had a few pictures (probably 5 if you count auto and general) where i felt they were better or much better than the winning picture

Niko_Fx
09-24-2005, 05:42 PM
What can be done? Still have two threads, but make it a lot more clear that you can only vote in one thread

We tried that before and people kept voting in both threads. Having to ask everyone which vote they actually wanted to keep was a pain in the butt... It also was a hassle to go through both polls writing down names to acknowledge who were the ones who voted twice...

I really don't want to sound like a whiner, but the photography comps here are acquiring a notorious reputation for being a bit skewed themseelves.

You're not :) You brought up the issue in a very decent way.

I believe the 15 limit is part of the VBulletin format and Wouter can do little about it. IMO there's no better way to run the comps... (2 winners per comp would be even worse and having ppl voting in only one thread is almost impossible)

Esperante
09-24-2005, 05:43 PM
yeah especially since i have had a few pictures (probably 5 if you count auto and general) where i felt they were better or much better than the winning picture
But that's beside the point-the point is how votes are misused/misdirected, not how you feel. ;)
We tried that before and people kept voting in both threads. Having to ask everyone which vote they actually wanted to keep was a pain in the butt... It also was a hassle to go through both polls writing down names to acknowledge who were the ones who voted twice...

Yes, I realize that, but maybe if there were just a moderator of the Multimedia forums, just to take care of issues like these, and that at the beginning of each comp thread (or even in the comp question's place) it should be made brutally clear that those who vote twice's votes will be deleted. It's just a proposal, though. :)

my porsche
09-24-2005, 05:44 PM
also i think voting should be more on the techniqu of the photo, too many pictures win because they are an ordinary picture of an extraordinary thing, rather than an extraordinary picture of an ordinary thing

Esperante
09-24-2005, 05:48 PM
also i think voting should be more on the techniqu of the photo, too many pictures win because they are an ordinary picture of an extraordinary thing, rather than an extraordinary picture of an ordinary thing
That's a different matter, once again. I would encourage people to use the Civic rule (ie, would the picture look good if the focus of the pic were a Honda Civic?) but it's just defacto that people will vote for cool cars. Sometimes the car and the way it fits into the pic work hand in hand-my pic from the latest comp would've failed miserably in a Civic test because the headlamps on a Civic just don't work nearly as great as objects of focus as the Jag does. ;)

RacingManiac
09-24-2005, 07:18 PM
That CGT+GT2 pic has it all though, good panning shot, 2 extrodinary car, clear and in focus.....no brainer IMO....

my porsche
09-24-2005, 07:30 PM
i see i never knew the civic rule :p

Fumacher
09-25-2005, 01:14 AM
i'm beaten by carreragt_crazy ...;)
But true it's the best pic! i also have voted for you in the other part of the automotive photo comp.