PDA

View Full Version : Some good cruzin music

rollnrocker
02-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Since we all love classic cars, we probally like classic rock too. Just got the Joe Cocker Ultimate Collection, and it is a good cd of his best hits. I'm interning over at Universal, so when I got this cd I liked that it had "With a little help from my friends" you know the Wonder Years theme song, with Winnie cooper :eek: ooohhh.. It also has the kareoke anthem "You are so beatiful" which is fun to put on if your driving a sweetie in your ride. Check it out, and let me know what you think

peace :)

Doza
02-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Sounds like some good music to me. What else is good? Dragging Grand and Ghetto Blasting. It's an old tradition that when you have nothing better to do, you go up and down our town's Grand Avenue and listen to gangster rap music as loud as you can. Now, this is well and good, but, me and my friends decide that rap music all the time is too harsh. Solution: Listen to the worst music you can possibly find, right in the face of Baby Bloods and Crypts. What music would that be? Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, LINKIN PAKR!!!!1, Disney Movie Themes, Old Disco music(its raining men, funkytown), cartoon themes in other languages, and spanish music. Good times, as all we've got are death threats.

Ghetto Blasting(See also Burb Blasting): Again, play music as loud as possible, this time, in the town ghetto or suburbs. Good times. :D

Matra et Alpine
02-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Sounds like some good music to me. What else is good? Dragging Grand and Ghetto Blasting.
Uuuurgh :(
Show some class and play Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band :)

Evil Ewok
02-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Any kind of fantasy metal: Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth :D

The Tuner
02-09-2004, 10:13 PM
anythin wit a nice beat....
shake ure tailfeather especially! rap's pretty good as well. and the golden rule is: if u can hear ure car, other cars around, ure own horn, other drivers hooting, or the cop siren, ure not playin it loud enuff! :D

btw, evil ewok, i love ure avatar!

Quiggs
02-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Chevelle (the band, not the Chevy...) and Story of the Year on rotation in the Golf right now. Louder = better.

crisis
02-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Any kind of fantasy metal: Opeth, :D
Intriguing. Never heard of them but they sound interesting. They are playing in little old Adelaide of all things in March. I might check it out. Heard of Chalice. Adelaide band.

fpv_gtho
02-10-2004, 12:38 AM
well a radio station here called Triple M actually came out with a CD called best driving songs, i havent got it but im pretty sure it was alot of old school rock and such. stuff like thats what i'd mroe than likely choose for cruising around in a 60's or early 70's muscle car, but any new car i'd wanna have something like Linkin Park or Metallica blaring out the windows. rap just doesnt do it for me

NoOne
02-10-2004, 08:20 AM
I think I found the ultimate cruising disc, The Clash's "London Calling" , nice heavy bassline, kickass drumming ... I love it ;)

BTW: running a Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate 300x amp, 2 Kenwood 10" in a bandpass box, 2 JBL 8" running free air and 4 kenwood 6 1/2" running off deck power (55x4), needless to say I usually don't have to tolerate the local ricer pulling up next to me playing Sean Paul. :p

crisis
02-10-2004, 04:16 PM
I think I found the ultimate cruising disc, The Clash's "London Calling" , nice heavy bassline, kickass drumming ... I love it ;)

BTW: running a Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate 300x amp, 2 Kenwood 10" in a bandpass box, 2 JBL 8" running free air and 4 kenwood 6 1/2" running off deck power (55x4), needless to say I usually don't have to tolerate the local ricer pulling up next to me playing Sean Paul. :p
Thats a lot of bass reinforcement. Who built the band pass box? They are supposed to be a bitch to design properly.My SV8 has a stock Blaupunkt head unit which sucks big time. I cant get a plug to connect an after market job to all the BCM goodies. I may have to forget the bells an whistles for better sound. I have DLS 6.5" splits in the fron and DLS 6.5" two ways in the back . I have a Crossfire 4x35rms amp running them. I have only one 10" JL in a sealed enclosure for a tighter sound with a built in 170rms amp. This is so I can drop it into my Landcruiser as well. I have an Alpine head unit in that which is beautiful with a 6 stacker. I have a 4 x 60rms Fusion amp running 5" Phillips splits and some two way 4" in the doors. The Cruiser sound is vastly superior to the SV8. I also tap into it with plugs to output to a pair of three way speaker boxes I made up so I can have good sound when we go camping. I run dual batteries in the Cruiser so I can generally get about 6-8 hours without running the car. All my cars are custom wired by moi using hd cable and direct to the battery. My mates think Ive got problems.

crisis
02-10-2004, 04:22 PM
deck power (55x4),
Just a word on this. You may be aware but the high power ratings on a lot of head units is mainly peak power or music power or some thing like that. What it means is power with plenty of distortion. The RMS power of these things would most probably be less than 20rms. Still enough for good sound but car hifi is really a numbers game. I love it when a sales person tells me that speakers are 200watts. Ive never seen a speaker produce even 1 watt. I rarely even speak to the sales people until I want to actually make a purchase.

fpv_gtho
02-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Just a word on this. You may be aware but the high power ratings on a lot of head units is mainly peak power or music power or some thing like that.

its Peak Music Power Output or PMPO. basically RMS is a much harsher method of recording the power output and probably a more real world figure if you were to always be playing them

crisis
02-10-2004, 11:36 PM
its Peak Music Power Output or PMPO. basically RMS is a much harsher method of recording the power output and probably a more real world figure if you were to always be playing them
RMS means root mean square which is a way of measuring a kind of average sustained voltage output. It is usually measured at a given distortion level, ideally as low as possible but generally between .1 and .01%. PMPO and its other names usually give no distortion figure but would be generally 5% or higher. Depending on the accuracy of the rest of your system this may or may not bother you. Certain people can apparently tolerate listening to distorted sound more than others. I have heard dreadful sounds eminating from certain cars and even domestic sound systems where the sound is clearly distorted but some people dont care. It kills me. Distortion is also a great way to blow speakers in particular tweeters which have a much lower power handling than mid and low range drivers. In a typical two way system rated at 100w the main drivers will generally handle in excess of this but the tweeters would only handle 20-50watts. This is all taken care by the crossover which limits the frequency and as a consequence the amount of power routed to these drivers. Sorry I do tend to go on.

fpv_gtho
02-11-2004, 01:39 AM
dont worry, car audio's all a learning experience for me. you could describe the system youve got in one of your cars and i wouldnt have a clue what your talking about

NoOne
02-11-2004, 07:25 AM
Thats a lot of bass reinforcement. Who built the band pass box? They are supposed to be a bitch to design properly.My SV8 has a stock Blaupunkt head unit which sucks big time. I cant get a plug to connect an after market job to all the BCM goodies. I may have to forget the bells an whistles for better sound. I have DLS 6.5" splits in the fron and DLS 6.5" two ways in the back . I have a Crossfire 4x35rms amp running them. I have only one 10" JL in a sealed enclosure for a tighter sound with a built in 170rms amp. This is so I can drop it into my Landcruiser as well. I have an Alpine head unit in that which is beautiful with a 6 stacker. I have a 4 x 60rms Fusion amp running 5" Phillips splits and some two way 4" in the doors. The Cruiser sound is vastly superior to the SV8. I also tap into it with plugs to output to a pair of three way speaker boxes I made up so I can have good sound when we go camping. I run dual batteries in the Cruiser so I can generally get about 6-8 hours without running the car. All my cars are custom wired by moi using hd cable and direct to the battery. My mates think Ive got problems.

Actually its an old POS Jensen bandpass box, it works, but not as well as my brothers Bassworx box. It is a lot of bass, but its clean and well rounded, I run the 2 10" on the "low filter" and the 2 8" full range - I know thats not supposed to work well, but it really sounds great.

I took it to one of those amateur car audio competitions and managed 132.6 db ... from what I understand thats pretty decent. My brother took care of all the installs, I just buy what he says will work :D.

My wife thinks I've got problems, says I'm immitating those "young guys in their little Honda cars" .. I say I'm no ricer, but then I think ... '98 Hyundai Tiburon, big stereo, alarm system, tinted windows, CAI .... could I really ????? :confused: :( :rolleyes: :p ... NAH !!!!

crisis
02-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Actually its an old POS Jensen bandpass box, it works, but not as well as my brothers Bassworx box. It is a lot of bass, but its clean and well rounded, I run the 2 10" on the "low filter" and the 2 8" full range - I know thats not supposed to work well, but it really sounds great.

I took it to one of those amateur car audio competitions and managed 132.6 db ... from what I understand thats pretty decent. My brother took care of all the installs, I just buy what he says will work
Too many bass drivers can cause cancellation if the sound waves, which are long in low frequencies, are out of phase. Positioning of bass drivers is important. It can be rectified by reversing the polarity of the offending drivers. It sound like you bro has set it up properly though. Im not into sound comps but they are pretty good numbers you big kid!

Runum
02-12-2004, 08:59 AM
New guy here. I guess I'm going to show my age and old school ways but I like anything from ZZ Top or Boston. Oh, also some Jackson Brown :)

crisis
02-12-2004, 04:28 PM
New guy here. I guess I'm going to show my age and old school ways but I like anything from ZZ Top or Boston. Oh, also some Jackson Brown :)
Never be ashamed of Boston!

NoOne
02-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Never be ashamed of Boston!
Ditto !! .. I'm going through a bit of a retro phase right now - Disturbed, Slipknot, White Stripes have taken the backseat (so to speak) and made room for The Clash, Bad Company, Triumph and Van Halen ( Roth not Hagar) :cool:

crisis
02-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Ditto !! .. I'm going through a bit of a retro phase right now - Disturbed, Slipknot, White Stripes have taken the backseat (so to speak) and made room for The Clash, Bad Company, Triumph and Van Halen ( Roth not Hagar) :cool:
I rekon theres onlt 5 people in Australia who even know the band Triumph. And I know them all. Fight the good fight!