PDA

View Full Version : Extra Photography Competition?

Sauc3
09-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Basically because of all the discussion about the cars being the object of the Automotive Photography Competition, I thought it might be an idea to host the following competition:

Standard Automotive Competition.

Along with the normal competition, it might be an idea to have this competition to showcase the photography skills with normal cars, as opposed to having a competition which is dictated by who has the rarest car in their photo. There have been some absolutelly marvellous winners with normal cars, just extraordinary photographs, but they don't come along often. Rijoh with his Fiat 500 is an example.
What I was wondering is whether people find this idea a reasonable one. It would be on a weekly basis, and would have certain extra guidelines such as price/power (I'm open to suggestions), so as to retain an even field.
On the other hand, I don't want to make the current Automotive Photography Competition into one which doesn't have any more talented photos, just pictures of something fancy.

I see this as a two sided idea, and if people keep level heads I believe it can work.
I am including a poll, please vote, but also post the reason behind your vote. This includes, if you like the proposition, ideas to improve the competition on all levels.

RacingManiac
09-29-2005, 07:04 AM
So far most pic I've seen are pretty good with the subject and how they are taken.....ones with only good subject don't usually win...

Besides, it'd be hard to govern exactly how to decide whats valid and not valid...

drakkie
09-29-2005, 07:25 AM
I found the automtie comp a farce.That is why i have stopped posting pictures in there.I rarely see a car worth over 100.000€.Perhaps the level of validaty should be established at certain value.Perhap something like 30-40.000 € (which is a lot of money for common people,like most are.)

On one hand , i find it a good idea, on the other though, it would be confusing.Perhaps the automotive comp, should just be improved.

The same kind of voting is going on in the general photography comp too.
Look at the votes Niko_fx got for the pic of his girlfriend.There were much better pictures, but they got lesser votes.

Sauc3
09-29-2005, 07:37 AM
Besides, it'd be hard to govern exactly how to decide whats valid and not valid...
That's why I'm asking what people would find an acceptable category of cars that would be used in this competition.

I found the automtie comp a farce.That is why i have stopped posting pictures in there.I rarely see a car worth over 100.000€.Perhaps the level of validaty should be established at certain value.Perhap something like 30-40.000 € (which is a lot of money for common people,like most are.)

On one hand , i find it a good idea, on the other though, it would be confusing.Perhaps the automotive comp, should just be improved.

The same kind of voting is going on in the general photography comp too.
Look at the votes Niko_fx got for the pic of his girlfriend.There were much better pictures, but they got lesser votes.
Exactly why I propose this new competition, although I don't really see how the automotive competition could be improved. Basically good cars are what make that competition what it is. The combination of a wonderful car and a relatively good photo usually makes the winner. There are most certainly exceptions, but they're hard to find in the massive amounts of very good cars in the competition.

You can't start an automotive photography competition in a car based forum which revolves mainly around the performance car aspect and expect everyone to post brilliant photos of ordinary/supercars every single competition. That's basically what that competition is, who has a nice photo of the best car, and that's to be expected. Several members have certainly voiced (typed) their opinion over this thus far, and I must say to a certain extent I agree.
On the other hand I'm afraid that this competition would alienate the other competition from good pictures altogether, and would make it basically a free for all for car spotters. Which is why I made this thread :).

Cotterik
09-29-2005, 08:55 AM
finally someone listened to me.

RacingManiac
09-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see your point, I mean I only submit pic when I go to a race track to see stuff, the pic I used for Comp 44 has a MG Lola in it, but it could might as well be a Civic but the technique would've been no different(well some difference in the timing to adjust for speed difference at the same corner between the 2), but the one with the Civic is unlikely to make it as far as the Lola one did. But I find it unfair then if my subject just happens to be a more expensive car in the same situation and then it became not eligible......

Sauc3
09-29-2005, 09:28 AM
I agree with that, and fully understand where you're coming from. That's why I'd also assume that the other photography competition will still be running, in which you can enter those particular photographs. But, again, the question remains what WILL become of the other competition if this one happens to get under way...

drakkie
09-29-2005, 09:43 AM
to be honest, i would certainly have expected this picture to get more than one vote.However in a comp dominated by Ferarri's and Lambo's this did even got a chance.Apparently a Audi on a very remote mountain location was not considered worth looking at. I fear that even in this new comp, the nicest car gets a few more votes.

Sauc3
09-29-2005, 09:50 AM
I fear that even in this new comp, the nicest car gets a few more votes.
Then what would you classify as nicer cars? I think that that picture is remarkable, and that 1 vote certainly does not justify it. An A4 entered in the competition is about the highest level of cars that I'd suggest going to (i.e. BMW 3 series, only maybe 5, Alfas, VW Passat etc.), and there most certainly won't be any Ferraris or Lamborghinis to knock your picture down. This is why I'm also asking what the specifications of a car should be in order to enter this competition, such as a car ranging from 25-35 grand (whatever currency), no sports cars and no modified cars.

What is also possible that every week is a week with a chosen subject, such as week 1 being hatchbacks, 2 being small RWD, 3 being ordinary parked cars etc.

RacingManiac
09-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Why don't we do it like the GT4 pic comp, from my understanding in that you get a theme and let people run with it....

Sauc3
09-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Why don't we do it like the GT4 pic comp, from my understanding in that you get a theme and let people run with it....
That was my intention with my last post. I believe that the GT4 comp is a theme 1 week, free picture the next, then another theme. This would most certainly keep the new competition in order, as it leaves no space for people to somehow slot in an exotic. Would it be alternate weeks for themes, or every week a new theme? Would the theme be chosen by the previous week's winner or the competition host (i.e. myself)?

Fumacher
09-29-2005, 10:11 AM
a theme for each week would be ideal, but i do not take pics of cars every day.
For example, when you create a theme at the GT4 comp, like drifting, you just have to play some and make a drift, aite?

Making a theme for the automotive comp would be a "limit" for some ppl

09-29-2005, 11:17 AM
i think that you should just insert a sentance in bold along the lines of "Remember, you are not voting on the actual car, but the photo itself"

Piacki_117
09-29-2005, 12:02 PM
it would be good if it was a thematic version of the general photo comp

The_Canuck
09-29-2005, 12:33 PM
yes its a good idea i got a pic id post in autocomp but i know it wontget any votes cause its only a common suv

Sauc3
09-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Ok so the idea overall would be a weekly themed competition, keeping the plain cars in mind so that the better the photo, the better the chance the person who enters it has to win.
Does anyone else have anything that they think would improve this competition?

RacingManiac
09-30-2005, 06:32 AM
I think if you make a theme specific enough that there would be no need to restrict car cost/type. I mean if a theme says a macro shot of something on a car, if a pic of an expensive car is poorly taken or does not satisfy the theme, then the pic shouldn't win....

drakkie
09-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Ok so the idea overall would be a weekly themed competition, keeping the plain cars in mind so that the better the photo, the better the chance the person who enters it has to win.
Does anyone else have anything that they think would improve this competition?

since i too do not have time to take pictures every week, perhaps it should be a two week or a monthly competition.

all my pictures in the general photography comp from last year, are made on only four occasions.Two of them are vacations.

BMW325
09-30-2005, 08:54 AM
i didnt read through all of every post so forgive me if its been said...but

I think there should be a comp just for personal automotive photography...meaning that the comp is only for cars that the photographer owns...perhaps it could also be extended to cars that the photographer drives (test drives, friends cars, parents cars) but does not own, so long as the photographer also includes proof that they were in fact driving the car (a photo of the photographer sitting in the drivers seat while the car is moving)

good idea?

Sauc3
09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Personally I don't think that that would work as well, because then pretty much every shot will be composed, not something that you can just shoot spontaneously. Also, the varyity would start lacking after the first 2-3 weeks, as I don't think many members have more than 2 cars. It might be a good idea, but I think that that should just be reserved to the rides forum.

For those that don't always have time to photograph cars, I could make it weekly but have a limit of pictures taken 6 months ago? I think that that should give enough of a time space to upload pictures you might have already taken and you can still of course enter the newest pictures. I presonally find that a two or more week competition lasts ages, and usually gets lost in all the threads.

forza_autodelta
09-30-2005, 11:18 AM
k' , good idea , could we take pics of historic cars , as sprint 1600 or a MG B ?

BMW325
09-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Personally I don't think that that would work as well, because then pretty much every shot will be composed, not something that you can just shoot spontaneously. Also, the varyity would start lacking after the first 2-3 weeks, as I don't think many members have more than 2 cars. It might be a good idea, but I think that that should just be reserved to the rides forum.

For those that don't always have time to photograph cars, I could make it weekly but have a limit of pictures taken 6 months ago? I think that that should give enough of a time space to upload pictures you might have already taken and you can still of course enter the newest pictures. I presonally find that a two or more week competition lasts ages, and usually gets lost in all the threads.

i agree that it should be put in the Rides forum; good idea

6 months ago? sweet!...time for me to dig up some shots of the bimmer :D

Sauc3
10-01-2005, 03:21 AM
k' , good idea , could we take pics of historic cars , as sprint 1600 or a MG B ?
If they're kept within a certain limit of price/rarity, then I'm sure that those could be included.
Themes could range from "old car parked in the street" to something like "new stationwagon".
The reason why I suggest 6 months is because, as drakkie has said, is that there might not be time for everyone to find a random car and thus leaves them out of the running. Now there's a possibility that not everyone will be able to enter every week, but I encourage everyone to try, and with some luck some people might even have an enterable shot that they can enter easily.

McReis
10-10-2005, 08:32 AM
I believe this competition will come to an end soon.
1st because having 3 comps will reduce entrants en each.
2nd because theres no way to define clearly what is a common car. If I lived at California a Maranello would be something normal. Here in Portugal any Dodge is uncommon.
3rd that will take out the fun of competing for the previous ranking.

I just hope you guys don't try to forbid normal cars on the former competition. I won't enter the new one.