PDA

View Full Version : Which combination do you prefer?

Homem de Gelo
02-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Vote and post, please.

Homem de Gelo
02-11-2004, 06:53 PM
please assume that in any case the performance of your imaginary car would be the same

jameswithington
02-11-2004, 07:35 PM
I reckon that in a sportscar RWD is always preferable for entertainment value, regardless of where the engine is, so I voted for the first option. AWD may provide better traction and roadholding but it also causes understeer when on the limit. We all love a bit of power oversteer now and then, and front-engine RWD is always the easiest and most rewarding to control in these circumstances. To provoke a cheeky little tailslide in a well sorted AWD car you have to really thrash it about! I generally prefer NA engines, no lag or torque/power spike, far more linear power delivery with NA.

If I was out for the fastest laptime or whatever I'd have an NA engine mid-ships with RWD, but for an all round drive front or front-mid configuration is best for driveability and practicality/packaging (giving proper trunk space).

sandwich
02-13-2004, 04:47 PM
i picked midengine.....

but it depends severely....are you rallying? road racing?

i'd still pick midengined for everything but racing...if I were racing, rwd would be best...if we were rallying, duh....and if it were my car, the awd midengine na would win...

DasModell
02-13-2004, 08:56 PM
mid - NA - RWD ... but I could do some other combinations .. :)

NoOne
02-14-2004, 07:22 AM
I chose the mid-engine, naturally aspirated AWD, for balance and handling .... hard to believe that I'm actually starting to care about how a car does anything other than accelerate in a straight line. ;)

Matra et Alpine
02-14-2004, 08:10 AM
I chose the mid-engine, naturally aspirated AWD, for balance and handling .... hard to believe that I'm actually starting to care about how a car does anything other than accelerate in a straight line. ;)
aha, you've spotted the devious plan :)
Soon everyone will want to rally and race their cars on circuits :) :)
What nobody knows is I own all the tracks :) :) :)

Seriously, I almost agree except normally aspirated means a bigger engine.
I'd still go with a small fast revving high-boost turbo in the middle with AWD for serious use. For fun, it has got to be rear engine RWD. More critical of the driver than front-engine RWD and more fun

Course down-side of the mid-engine in light weight cars is the heat. The RS200 is almost impossible to sit in for longer than 30 minutes. It's a permanent heat room. Except when you're in damp Scotland and it's a SAUNA :)

crisis
02-15-2004, 05:20 PM
Seriously, I almost agree except normally aspirated means a bigger engine.
I'd still go with a small fast revving high-boost turbo in the middle with AWD for serious use. For fun, it has got to be rear engine RWD. More critical of the driver than front-engine RWD and more fun
Except when you're in damp Scotland and it's a SAUNA :)
Thats it. Mid engine for balance but rear wheel drive front engine for fun and games. Make min an 8.
You want heat. We had 44C in Adelaide on Saturday, 46C where I was ( my brother in laws back yard around his pool). This is supposed to be a coastal city too, not a f*cking desert.