PDA

View Full Version : Removing Carbon dioxide from the engine...

Hell_Unleashed
02-12-2004, 11:30 AM
A friend told me that as carbon builds up inside a car's engine, performance of that car decreases. And if there is too much carbon dioxide... it can really screw up the engine so bad that the engine will have to be replaced... He says... that it is possible to remove the carbon from the engine... if while ur driving... u rev as much as you can. Apparently you will be able to see thick black clouds of carbon coming out of the exhaust as carbon is removed...
What I want to know is... is it true, and does it really work? Is it bad for the car... Can anyone comment on this or make any suggestions... should I try it or not?

Matra et Alpine
02-12-2004, 05:28 PM
A friend told me that as carbon builds up inside a car's engine, performance of that car decreases. And if there is too much carbon dioxide... it can really screw up the engine so bad that the engine will have to be replaced... He says... that it is possible to remove the carbon from the engine... if while ur driving... u rev as much as you can. Apparently you will be able to see thick black clouds of carbon coming out of the exhaust as carbon is removed...
What I want to know is... is it true, and does it really work? Is it bad for the car... Can anyone comment on this or make any suggestions... should I try it or not?
It's carbon deposits that build up, not Carbon Dioxide ( which is a gas ).
It's much lower a problem now then it used to be with better additives in the fuel at the petrochemical plant !
However, if the car is not tuned propoerly then it can still happen.
Just revving the engine is not enough to break carbon deposits - you're friend is maybe confusing an engine burning oil :)
There are many additives to put in the petrol ( or inject direct into intakes ) which will help break up the deposits.
These can 'de-coke' the engine but if really bad it may be necessary to take the head off and clean the piiston crown, chambers and valves. This was a common necessity in the 70s with tuning the BMC and Ford engines.
Redex is a common additive to chemically de'coke an engine.
If a large amount is sprayed into the inlets IT will brun with very black smoke.

Again, NOT something you'd expect to find now that engines run a lot leaner than they once did.

Hell_Unleashed
02-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanx Matra... I appreciate really appreciate that...
One more thing... if I rev to the max while Im driving, is that harmful to the engine in anyway?