10-13-2005, 01:07 AM
Awesome!!

danno
10-13-2005, 01:08 AM
6L V8 supercharged = 480kw

SlickHolden
10-13-2005, 05:47 AM
When i saw this thing i went gagar.
Dam when holden does a concept they really go all out:).
Amazing the new in the old woo it's hot a real speachless car.

danno
10-13-2005, 06:43 AM
cant wait to see it for real!

only 10 hours 15 mins to go :D

jorismo
10-13-2005, 06:45 AM
I've got more pics of this great car!!

jorismo
10-13-2005, 06:46 AM
More...

danno
10-13-2005, 06:47 AM
workmanship is exquisite, as a hot rod should.

jorismo
10-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Again more...

jorismo
10-13-2005, 06:48 AM
And last 3...

jorismo
10-13-2005, 06:49 AM
This car is really unbelievable nice...

shaht
10-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Superb I love it
any high resolution pix?
specs ?

danno
10-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Holden's Wild Hot Rod Brings FJ Back to Life

Sydney showcar delivers retro, mumbo and gizmos

EFFIGY (EF-ij-GEE) n. Stylistic representation of someone or something famous
FJ (EF-JAY) n. Iconic Australian motor vehicle released by Holden in 1953

Australian International Motor Show Photography

Australian International Motor Show, 13 October 2005 : A wild 21st Century hot rod reincarnating Australia ’s most famous car, the FJ Holden, was unveiled today at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney.

EFIJY is a radical pillarless custom coupe boasting V8 Supercar power under the bonnet, Chevrolet Corvette underbody and state-of-the-art automotive technology throughout.

The ‘Soprano Purple’ paintwork highlights its curvaceous 5.2-metre body, reinterpreting the classic design cues of the iconic 1953 FJ Holden. It delivers retro, mumbo and gizmos in one glorious package.

Obviously not intended for production, EFIJY has been a passionate side project for some Holden Design team members otherwise dedicated to creating the all-new 2006 Commodore.

A long-term dream for Chief Designer Richard Ferlazzo, EFIJY brought together almost 20 suppliers to highlight the latest in mechanical, electronic and material products and ideas.

Automotive excess pounds through a 480-kilowatt, supercharged six-litre V8 engine and air-adjustable shock absorbers through to a touch control LCD screen and fan-cooled LED headlamps.

GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Denny Mooney, today said the EFIJY project was a bold statement on the creative talent available within Holden’s design ranks.

Mr Mooney said the project was developed as a collaboration with suppliers which reduced impact on the company’s heavy work schedule and ensured the highest possible quality result for the showcar.

“EFIJY is all about fun, emotion and imagination. It shows what a bunch of clever and talented design people can do when they are let loose to create something really wild,” Mr Mooney said.

“This year was a fantastic opportunity for us to create something which highlights our designers’ ability and versatility.

“EFIJY is sure to evoke different memories for everyone who sees it. People might focus on the FJ links, the glorious custom coupes of the 1930s or the great design flair of the 1950s.”

Design philosophies

Holden Chief Designer and EFIJY project leader Richard Ferlazzo, who sketched the first EFIJY designs in 1989 and is a long-time custom car fanatic, said the car existed purely for automotive entertainment.

“Invariably, people smile when they see it for the first time. EFIJY is our accolade to the talented designers who cut loose with some fantastically flamboyant styling in the post-war 1940s and 1950s,” Ferlazzo said.

“Ask the question, ‘what would these people have created using all the skill sets and technology we have now’, and EFIJY might be the all-Australian answer to that question.

“EFIJY is also aimed at the legions of custom car and hot rod enthusiasts out there whose appetites aren’t generally met in the concept car arena.

“Most importantly, itsends the message that the same people who have sensible day jobs designing entirely practical cars have the passion and inspiration to create something as outrageous as EFIJY.

“We’re all car nuts together and the fact that EFIJY stands on our Sydney motorshow stand goes some way to legitimising this form of automotive design in the mainstream.”

Exterior and interior highlights

The design team has cleverly incorporated FJ design cues into EFIJY’s radicalcustom coupe body, acknowledging the most important aspects of the iconic 1953 release.

The famously familiar FJ grille looms larger than life, fronting a low, wide and handsome body extravagantly elongated and brimming with retro chic style.

The Corvette rolling chassis was lengthened to accommodate the EFIJY body, which is more than 700 millimetres longer than the FJ by which it was inspired.

The Soprano Purple paint has multiple layers of translucent pigmented topcoats which creates the rich, deep effect.

All brightwork on the vehicle is hand-made billet aluminium to maximise its authentic look, nowhere more evident than the stunning grill salute to FJ’s distinctive front.

A proximity sensor opens the door automatically as the driver approaches, revealing deep cream leather twin tombstone-shaped seats equipped with integral belts.

The drop-down, touch control LCD screen and an instrument cluster glowing with the number ‘53’– another FJ gesture – are set in the body-coloured metal dash and pulsate with a radiogram retro orange glow.

There are pearlescent, Bakelite-look push button controls for the electronic automatic transmission and the hard curved floor is finished in figured maple timber veneer with aluminium inserts.

EFIJY’s prowling appearance can be accentuated by the air-adjustable suspension. At the touch an LCD screen, At a touch of the LCD screen, EFIJY can hunker down to just 27 millimetres from the ground or rise to a more practical drive height.

The use of LED headlights and tail lights is accompanied by liberal LED applications inside the vehicle, including courtesy lamps and sill plate illumination lamps. Several are dual filament, allowing them to throw different colors depending on the application.

Like any great showcar, EFIJY is stocked with a cutting edge entertainment system featuring hard drive audio and video storage driven through a major amplifier and speaker setup.

Mechanical highlights

The 6.0-litre LS2 V8 engine has been supercharged and modified by Ron Harrop, well known throughout the Australian automotive and motorsport industry and an ex-FJ Holden racer.

Driven by a Roots-type supercharger, the engine delivers peak power of 480kW (645 horsepower) at 6400rpm and peak torque of 775Nm (560 foot-pound) at 4200rpm. Such performance figures are equal to the stated output from 2005 Series V8 Supercars, and almost 11 times greater than the 45kW (60 horsepower) offered in the 1953 FJ Holden.

EFIJY’s engine is mated to a rear-mounted four-speed automatic transmission featuring push button electronic control. Limited slip differential has been fitted for obvious reasons.

The custom designed exhaust is a stainless steel 2.5-inch dual system with customised compact headers and billet aluminium exhaust tips.

The power output is transferred to massive 22-inch by 10-inch billet aluminium wheels with fluting which echoes the FJ’s more modest original 15-inch by 4-inch wheels. Reflecting its street sled heritage, the front wheels are 20-inch by 9-inch.

The brakes feature 381mm (15-inch) grooved and ventilated rotors front and rear, combined with six-piston aluminium calipers at the front and four-piston aluminium calipers at the rear.

Development schedule

Advanced designs for EFIJY were prepared during 2003, the 50 th anniversary of the original FJ release. Clay models were prepared but plans were shelved to make way for other stunning concept cars such as last year’s Torana TT36.

The project was finally approved early this year for the 2005 Australian International Motor Show in Sydney. This gave the team eight months to bring like-minded suppliers on board and complete the EFIJY build in a way which greatly reduced costs compared with most showcars.

“EFIJY has been a real labor of love for everyone involved and it shows in the way it feels. It gave us a unique opportunity to showcase Holden’s creative abilities, and those of some of our key partners, in a way which will appeal to a broader audience,” Ferlazzo said.

“It’s been a long road to bring this to reality and the perfect time to do it before we pull the covers off our new Commodore range. We’re pretty sure that an Australian motor show has never seen anything like EFIJY from a local carmaker before.”

Holden Design plans to show the car at a series of street machine and hot rod shows around Australia after its Australian International Motor Show debut.

jorismo
10-13-2005, 07:03 AM
Superb I love it
any high resolution pix?
specs ?

For high-res you need to ask Matt.

Some specs:
Engine- 6.0 liter V8 producing 652 bhp and 775 Nm.
Sizes- Length: 5.20 meter
Rims: 20 Inch
Brakes: 381 mm in diameter.

That's all I'm afraid...

danno
10-13-2005, 07:04 AM
SPECIFICATIONS AND FEATURES

Dimensions

Length:

5162mm

Width:

1999mm

Height – drive setting:

1386mm

Height – show setting:

1274mm

Ground clearance - drive:

139mm

Ground clearance - show:

27mm

Track front:

1640mm

Track rear:

1660mm

Wheelbase:

2946mm

Powertrain

Engine:

GM 6.0-litre, LS2 aluminium V8 with Roots-type supercharger

Bore and stroke:

101.6 mm x 92.0 mm

Compression ratio:

10.9:1

Power and torque:

480kW (645 bhp) @ 6400 rpm

Torque:

775Nm (560 ft/lb) @ 4200 rpm

Exhaust:

Custom designed, block hugger headers, stainless steel 2.5-inch dual system, billet aluminium exhaust tips

Transaxle:

GM four-speed electronic automatic transmission, push button electronic control, limited slip differential

Exterior

Body:

Two door pillarless coupe, glass fibre bodyshell; remote door release and proximity sensor systems; polished billet aluminium brightwork

Colour:

“Soprano Purple” custom ‘ kandy ’ mix

Head lamps:

High intensity LED head lamps; LED park and turn-signal lamps

Tail lamps:

LED dual color stop/tail and turn signal lamps; LED single ’blue dot’; LED centre high mount stoplamp

Chassis:

Modified Chevrolet Corvette. Front mounted engine, torque tube driveline, rear mounted transaxle

Suspension:

Modified Chevrolet Corvette. Forged upper and lower control arms; height adjustable airbag suspension units with electronic control

Steering:

Variable ratio rack and pinion

Wheels:

Billet aluminium – 20 x 9-inch front, 22 x 10-inch rear

Tyres:

Dunlop SP Sport - 9090 255/35 ZR 20 front, 9000 285/30 ZR 22 rear

Brakes:

381mm grooved and ventilated rotors; six-piston aluminium calipers (front), four-piston aluminium calipers (rear); e lectric park brake

Interior

Seats:

Electric tombstone-style bucket, leather trimmed, integral seat belts

Headliner:

Leather trimmed

Steering wheel:

Billet aluminium and leather

Flooring:

Figured maple timber veneer with aluminium inserts

Instruments:

LCD screen display, drop-down touch control LCD screen

Entertainment:

Hard drive audio and video file system; 2000W amplifier, 1000W RMS subwoofer, two x 200W RMS mid-bass, two x 100W RMS split mid-range, two x 100W RMS directional tweeters

Lighting:

LED interior courtesy lamps; LED sill plate illumination lamps

jorismo
10-13-2005, 07:07 AM
^^ that's gotta be the largest post ever... lol

danno
10-13-2005, 07:12 AM
yup it was too long to fit all in one post (1059 words)

10-13-2005, 08:41 AM
wow! that will look incredible on bathurst!

nota
10-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Awesome! :eek:

All FJs are too kewl & it's a fantastic salute to our beloved 'Humpy'

Immediately reminded of the Gatt Bros street rod from two years ago, really I wouldn't be suprised if that gobsmacker inspired Holden and this FJ ..

SlickHolden
10-13-2005, 08:28 PM
They didnt say much about it's rear but you have to wonder is the zeta underneath the FJ with 2900+mm Wheelbase?

2ndclasscitizen
10-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Na its got a Corvette chassis

danno
10-14-2005, 12:18 AM
corvette base and suspension, but modified obviously.

Blue Supra
10-14-2005, 01:43 AM
ive seen bigger posts, street lamps tend to be pretty big...

that_looks_AWESOME!!!_

charged
10-14-2005, 04:17 AM
Fantastic detail work,wished I was a car designer

SlickHolden
10-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Only holden can make a pie with only sauce to start with:p

SteveV
10-16-2005, 07:37 PM
It looks like a poor copy of the Boyd Coddinton built, Billy Gibon Cadzilla from 1989, he does point out that he designed it then, so it's obviously the inspiration, nothing special that's for sure, Rex Websters billet FJ from the mid eighties was far more revolutionary.

I see the the 39 Mercury "kit car" styling of Benny Gatts rod as well, a fibreglass body you can buy in the states with all the body mods done.

Even the paint colour and hub caps are straight off Cadzilla.

Interesting, but completely free from originality of any sort, a hot rod copy of an eighties idea at best. Not worthy of a 2005 manufacturers "concept" car title.

henk4
10-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I honestly thought that we were going to see pictures of classic Formula Juniors. That shows how much I have missed out on developments:)

danno
10-17-2005, 12:28 AM
It looks like a poor copy of the Boyd Coddinton built, Billy Gibon Cadzilla from 1989, he does point out that he designed it then, so it's obviously the inspiration, nothing special that's for sure, Rex Websters billet FJ from the mid eighties was far more revolutionary.

I see the the 39 Mercury "kit car" styling of Benny Gatts rod as well, a fibreglass body you can buy in the states with all the body mods done.

Even the paint colour and hub caps are straight off Cadzilla.

Interesting, but completely free from originality of any sort, a hot rod copy of an eighties idea at best. Not worthy of a 2005 manufacturers "concept" car title.

a design does not have to be original to look good.

Taking all the good elements from past hot rods, and putting them together is as good a way as any to get an awesome looking car.

SlickHolden
10-17-2005, 02:54 AM
I honestly thought that we were going to see pictures of classic Formula Juniors. That shows how much I have missed out on developments:)
Hey you make older people look bad j/k's:D come on even when you don't know just say yes yes yes like me:p We are ment to know everything arn't we?:D

henk4
10-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Hey you make older people look bad j/k's:D come on even when you don't know just say yes yes yes like me:p We are ment to know everything arn't we?:D

I am not sure whether I fully understand what you mean:), but here is a real FJ

SlickHolden
10-17-2005, 03:31 AM
You wont be the last that doesnt get me:p

henk4
10-17-2005, 03:33 AM
You wont be the last that doesnt get me:p

a really encouraging prospect:)

SlickHolden
10-17-2005, 03:55 AM
a really encouraging prospect:)
And to think my IQ is 128:eek:

henk4
10-17-2005, 04:02 AM
And to think my IQ is 128:eek:

yeah, where does that show?

SlickHolden
10-17-2005, 04:04 AM
yeah, where does that show?
In my finger painting skills lol:D Top of the class in play dough;)

henk4
10-17-2005, 04:05 AM
In my finger painting skills lol:D Top of the class in play dough;)

indeed that is where you need it most:D

nota
10-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Ahem thats too new .. THIS is a real FJ racer :D

btw the cliff on that corner is about an 80ft drop :eek: onto huge rocks & surf!

10-17-2005, 09:14 AM
on 3 wheels! he must be crazy...

SlickHolden
10-17-2005, 09:33 AM
Ahem thats too new .. THIS is a real FJ racer :D

btw the cliff on that corner is about an 80ft drop :eek: onto huge rocks & surf!
And they think them sandbags are going to stop them:eek:

nota
10-17-2005, 10:17 AM
on 3 wheels! he must be crazy...
Caption on the original pic said he lifted two wheels through there, at Newcastle NSW's Mattara Hillclimb at King Edward Park. A fantastic event & always risky, they recently had to relocate the startline (bottom right of pic) due to falling boulders :D

"(F1 designer) Ron Tauranac won a NSW Hillclimb Championship staged there in 1954 just beating a driver named Jack Brabham. Jack was quoted as saying King Edward Park was the most demanding and best set up Hillclimb in all of Australia."

http://www.mgcarclub.com.au/htmpages/amedia/Images/KEAirP.jpg