PDA

View Full Version : Which country makes or has made the best supercar?

UK CARS
02-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Italy - ferrari enzo, lamborghini muira, ferrari 250 gt......
England - Mclaren f1, jaguar xj220, tvr speed 12.........
Germany - porsche 911, mercedes benz 300 sl,....
france - buggati veyron (soon), citroen ds.....
America - chevrolet corvette, ford mustang, Dodge viper

What country do you think has made the best supercar,?

eros
02-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Begium the gillet we had the world record for teh fastest from 0-100km/h
It is not only fast but absolutly the most beautiful car we have made

porschegt1
02-14-2004, 11:22 AM
germany!! porsche!

Dino Scuderia
02-14-2004, 11:34 AM
From what you've listed the McLaren is the best.

The Corvette, 911 and Mustang do not qualify as supercars.

Matra et Alpine
02-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Don't you have to put a timeframe on this ?
Best today ?Best ever ? Best of it's time ??

I claim Scotland and the 1906 Argyll !!

UK CARS
02-14-2004, 12:16 PM

If the 911 is not a supercar then what is it?
I agree about the vette and the mustang thier perthetic, i know, their the only cars that come close to a supercar in America, apart from the saleen s7

SL500
02-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Begium the gillet we had the world record for teh fastest from 0-100km/h Alfa Engine with British Style,wtf

I agree about the vette and the mustang thier perthetic, i know, their the only cars that come close to a supercar in America, apart from the saleen s7
Ford GT,S7,Shelby Cobras,Viper Venoms

Dino Scuderia
02-14-2004, 12:25 PM

One could argue that the 911 GT2, GT3 or 930 Turbo are supercars but the 911 and even original 911's aren't supercars.

UK CARS
02-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Alfa Engine with British Style,wtf

Ford GT,S7,Shelby Cobras,Viper Venoms

The original Ford gt40 was british built, and the cobra was a modified ac cobra which is british. But the the new Ford GT is sensational.

UK CARS
02-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Any way its gotta be the mclaren f1, what do you think SL500?

SL500
02-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Any way its gotta be the mclaren f1, what do you think SL500?
damn,this is crazy,
the new shelby Cobra:
Displacement: 6.392 cm³
Power KW / HP: 445 / 605
Torque: 680 Nm
Top Speed: 415 Km/h (!!!!!!!!!!!)

anyway,i think the 962 LM is the best

Matra et Alpine
02-14-2004, 01:06 PM
A tuned VW Beetle with a slightly nicer body :)

Doza
02-14-2004, 02:56 PM
The Mustang is a Pony car, and the Corvette is fast, but not a supercar, because it is cheap in terms of price. The Corvette beats a good amount vehicles that cost more than it does. Its not quite a fair comparo... but the Corvette beats the Espirit and Both of the Astons, which are supercars costing much more than they do. It also beats the NSX, another excessively expensive car, for only 50k(0-60 times considered.).

The Corvette isn't pathetic. And.... it does this on about 23.5 miles combined economy. Any (non-hybrid)car with that type of economy isn't a supercar.

Falcon500
02-15-2004, 02:49 AM
A tuned VW Beetle with a slightly nicer body :)
Youwant a tuned VWbeetle with a nicer body? Come to australia we have plenty of kits for example the alvis and purvis eurka...your be suprised how fast they go with stock engines let alonemodified ones.
To throw something else into the mix australia has builta large number of sports cars likethe chimera,Gvang,Buckle,Bolwell and numerous others i couldactually give you more info on these cars when i get my book back only i have off the top of my head are the bolwell magaris and sometruely incredible facts about the Gvang (twin cylender steam engine no gearbox or diff and capeable of 300km/h...never took off though)
Andbecause of mypersonal likeing to american cars and with such vehicals as the dodge viper,Saleen S7,gt40(new) and numerous others it gets my vote...closely followed by england for owning lotus,lister and all their work on ford.

Mustang
02-15-2004, 03:12 AM
italy for the lambos not the ferraris

but the koenigsegg is amazing and america aswell if they can make the me 4-12

Rijoh
02-15-2004, 04:04 AM
Hard choice between Italy (F50, Enzo, F40, Murcie, Diablo Countach, Miura...) and Germany (Carrera GT, SLR, GT2, GT3, Z8),
but I'll go for Italy.

UK CARS
02-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Sorry lads but urm i think England:
mclaren f1
jaguar xj220
jaguar e type
aston martin db5
aston martin v8
aston martin vantage
lotus esprit
lotus elise gt1
lister storm
tvr speed 12
tvr tuscan
bentley continental gt
bentley speed 8 (le mans winner 2003)

The list is endless

de_michelis
02-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Those cars not only are fast, but they're also beautiful :D

sandwich
02-16-2004, 08:39 PM
UK Cars....get off the f.cking fanboy rant. Britain makes some great cars, but they don't make the be all end all of automobiles. Shit, they don't even build the F1 anymore.

I don't understand what it is with the freaking fanboys on this message board. It seems to be divided into morons who love only german cars, morons who only love asian cars, people who actually know quite a bit, people who actually want to learn something, and who knows what else? Open your minds people. Pride is one thing, but ignorance seems to be tied right into it. Maybe I'm misjudging you, but judging by your title and your qoutes in this thread, I've made a fair judgement.

That being said, I live in America, appreciate American and Foreign cars (to me), and I have to say that Italy makes the best supercars of all. Ferrari is constantly raising the bar, Lamborghini is close behind, now Zonda comes out with a slammer...not to mention the history of fantastic cars that come out of italy.

As much as I hate listening to the fanboys on this site talk about german cars, Audi and porsche among others do make some fine cars. You've got to admit that America does have some extremely fast cars also....no way are they the best, but not to be ignored, either.

I don't think any other nation quite compares to the output of supercars from italy. Year after year, they are pushing the limits.

crisis
02-16-2004, 09:57 PM

As everyone is naming their favorite you are unlikely to get a difinitive answer. You are getting what you deserve however. The question needs some explanation. ie best looking, best performance, best cup holders etc.

ShadowMoses
02-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Sorry lads but urm i think England:
The list is endless

Excuse me? WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT IN ASKING A QUESTION and then ANSWERING IT? Why ask for peoples opinions and then TELL them whats right?

Sandwich is right, Americans make fast cars, as do the Itilians, but that wasn't the question was it? I believe the question was WHO MAKES THE BEST supercars, not the fastest.

The question was vague, im slightly offended to be answering it, and im going to say England, though im slightly embarressed to be echoing that arrogant idiot.

Purely because of the status, engineering excellence and beauty eminated by the thee Astons, Bentleys and TVRs of this world.

I realise the f1 is no longer in creation, and that its 1 car, but it represents a pure and utter lack of common sense, resourcefulness andinginuity that is required to create a great car.

Therefore England, and i feel a little dirty...

Egg Nog
02-18-2004, 03:27 PM
I realise the f1 is no longer in creation, and that its 1 car, but it represents a pure and utter lack of common sense, resourcefulness andinginuity that is required to create a great car....

Please explain how the F1 reprsents a lack of resourcefulness and inginuity. This doesn't make any sense to me, seeing as it basically represents the polar opposite of these...

werty
02-18-2004, 04:14 PM
You go Sandwich!!!

Hey, America may not have an extreme supercar right now. But sooner or later it will come, the new Chrysler may be the first step in creating an American Supercar race.
Other companies are soon going to build their own and the competion will begin, possibly some day out doing many european cars in the areas of styling, horsepower, and pride
I'm willing to bet that the day is near when the American forum on this website will be more popular than the European one

But i will still always love a good old Ferrari :cool:

crisis
02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=werty]
I'm willing to bet that the day is near when the American forum on this website will be more popular than the European one[QUOTE]
I expect the day will come when the American car manufacturers will own everyone else. Chilling!

ShadowMoses
02-19-2004, 05:37 AM
Please explain how the F1 reprsents a lack of resourcefulness and inginuity. This doesn't make any sense to me, seeing as it basically represents the polar opposite of these...

I think you misunderstand the concept? How is using gold for its conductive properties in the engine resourceful? Or ingenuitive, for example? The F1 was not designed to meet a price bracket and so was designed with complete extravagansce, Mclaren did whatever the hell they wanted, they didnt scrimp or save on the little things, thats why its a great car. :D, but it is NOT in ANY WAY resourceful or ingenuitive. That doesn't make it any less of a great car though.

UK CARS
02-19-2004, 05:52 AM
I think you misunderstand the concept? How is using gold for its conductive properties in the engine resourceful? Or ingenuitive, for example? The F1 was not designed to meet a price bracket and so was designed with complete extravagansce, Mclaren did whatever the hell they wanted, they didnt scrimp or save on the little things, thats why its a great car. :D, but it is NOT in ANY WAY resourceful or ingenuitive. That doesn't make it any less of a great car though.

pity your football team couldnt be as succesful as the mclaren f1!!!

ha ha

ShadowMoses
02-19-2004, 10:01 AM
pity your football team couldnt be as succesful as the mclaren f1!!!

Cheap shots anyone?
Go think of an argument and come back.

1-1 Against Man. U? Were scrappy, we'll be fine ;) .

irarref
02-19-2004, 01:56 PM

First Place: Italy
Second: Germany
Third: Britain

No honorable mentions

whiteballz
02-19-2004, 02:26 PM
do subarus count? like the wrx sti 22b! thats a killer car! 0-100 4 flat! top speed of i think 295kph not sure on the 400m times (quarter mile). but it is very cheep compared to all these cars you guys are talking about, not 2 mention the skyline, but the 22b killed it at a trackday event recently!

MrVette83
02-19-2004, 03:06 PM
1. As you can very well see I am somewhat Corvette biased. But as much as I love the Vettes I'm going to have to agree that they don't belong here. Unless you are considering the Viper Venoms and other such tuned american cars. In this category the Lingenfelter Corvette is simply amazing in all acounts.

2. I'm not even going to attempt to name a particular country even though I do realize that's the point of this discussion. I'm simply going to say that the Europeans in general make a great well rounded car hands down.

carlover
02-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Hey, America may not have an extreme supercar right now. But sooner or later it will come, the new Chrysler may be the first step in creating an American Supercar race.

Yeah they do. Saleen S7 and Ford GT40.And what about the Venom Vipers?

Doza
02-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah they do. Saleen S7 and Ford GT40.And what about the Venom Vipers?
Yeah... or... The Chevy Aveo?

Chinky_boi
02-19-2004, 10:50 PM
do subarus count? like the wrx sti 22b! thats a killer car! 0-100 4 flat! top speed of i think 295kph not sure on the 400m times (quarter mile). but it is very cheep compared to all these cars you guys are talking about, not 2 mention the skyline, but the 22b killed it at a trackday event recently!
this is european cars not japanese .

McLareN
09-25-2004, 05:29 AM
Dunno, maybe germany or Italy.

Turbonutter55
09-25-2004, 12:34 PM
USA- ME 4-12
Or maybe UK-Bristol Fighter
But my vote has to go to...
Sweden, for the Koenigsegg

Mustang
09-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Has to be britain, Astons, TVR, Ultima, there amazing :)

dave_fonz_164
09-25-2004, 03:46 PM
UK Cars....get off the f.cking fanboy rant. Britain makes some great cars, but they don't make the be all end all of automobiles. Shit, they don't even build the F1 anymore.

I don't understand what it is with the freaking fanboys on this message board. It seems to be divided into morons who love only german cars, morons who only love asian cars, people who actually know quite a bit, people who actually want to learn something, and who knows what else? Open your minds people. Pride is one thing, but ignorance seems to be tied right into it. Maybe I'm misjudging you, but judging by your title and your qoutes in this thread, I've made a fair judgement.

That being said, I live in America, appreciate American and Foreign cars (to me), and I have to say that Italy makes the best supercars of all. Ferrari is constantly raising the bar, Lamborghini is close behind, now Zonda comes out with a slammer...not to mention the history of fantastic cars that come out of italy.

As much as I hate listening to the fanboys on this site talk about german cars, Audi and porsche among others do make some fine cars. You've got to admit that America does have some extremely fast cars also....no way are they the best, but not to be ignored, either.

I don't think any other nation quite compares to the output of supercars from italy. Year after year, they are pushing the limits.

amen bro, i have to agree with you

every year, italy produces the most desirable supercars ever. ther hot, fast, sound great and have history behind their badges

with cars like the Enzo, Zonda, Murcielago Rodster and Maserati MC12, i think they are on top of the world for supercars

aNOBLEman
09-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Has to be britain, Astons, TVR, Ultima, there amazing :)

I agree with that. But have we forgotten the Stealth B6? :D

bigjim
09-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Belgium for sure

The best car is the Gillet Vertigo - It's the fastest car in the world to do a 0-100 Km/h

andy.muc
09-30-2004, 02:46 AM
Sweden ---> Koenigsegg CCR

#edit

Belgium for sure

The best car is the Gillet Vertigo - It's the fastest car in the world to do a 0-100 Km/h

What source do you have???

According to UCP.com:
Gillet Vertigo 0-60 mph Acceleration: 4.2 s

According to gilletvertigo.com:
Gillet Vertigo 0-60 mph Acceleration: 3,266 s (world record... so they claim)

According to UCP.com:
Koenigsegg CCR 0-60 mph Acceleration: 3.1 s

According to koenigsegg.com:
Koenigsegg CCR Acceleration 0-100 km/h (0–62 mph): 3.2 s

RS6
09-30-2004, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't say the Chrysler ME412 is really a 'true' American supercar. For starters, the engine is made by Mercedes-Benz and the chassis was developed by Pagani. The Saleen S7 is the first true American supercar. I must say that I thought America was just incapable of building a proper supercar but when the Saleen S7 came along, it changed my opinion.

Italy makes the best supercars. I mean the Pagani Zonda and the Ferrari Enzo. Britain makes very beauitiful supercars and germany has had some big hits too.

QuattroMan
10-01-2004, 07:32 AM
will i ll take this way... :D
1}FRANCE-BUGATTI :D
2}ITALY-LAMORGHINI
3}GERMANY-PORSCHE
4}AMERICAN-CORVETTE
5}ENGLAND-? :confused:

cuntukimushroom
10-01-2004, 10:26 AM
SWEDEN has the best supercars...............koenigsegg CCR

england: aston martin, noble, TVR used to be british now its russian

QuattroMan
10-01-2004, 11:26 AM
You go Sandwich!!!

Other companies are soon going to build their own and the competion will begin, possibly some day out doing many european cars in the areas of styling, horsepower, and pride
I'm willing to bet that the day is near when the American forum on this website will be more popular than the European one

But i will still always love a good old Ferrari :cool:

American car makers don't care about super cars all they want is mass production cheep cars my friend, thanks to GM for keeping the Corvette,Europeans build there cars whit pride we have long, long ways to go,and as far as "sooner or later" goes? Audi is coming out whit this new super cars soon Le Mans Quattro, Nuvolari w/600 hp.

P.S I like the pic's you put for use.... :D

RS6
10-02-2004, 06:44 AM
will i ll take this way... :D
1}FRANCE-BUGATTI :D
2}ITALY-LAMORGHINI
3}GERMANY-PORSCHE
4}AMERICAN-CORVETTE

That is a bit of a half-assed opinion. I take it you put Bugatti first because the Veyron will be the fastest supercar so that automatically makes it the best. BTW, the Veyron might never make it into production so it isn't a supercar, but a concept car. And you put the corvette instead of Chevrolet because the corvette is Chevrolet's only superca,r if you can call it a supercar that is.

Rockefella
10-02-2004, 08:40 AM
That is a bit of a half-assed opinion. I take it you put Bugatti first because the Veyron will be the fastest supercar so that automatically makes it the best. BTW, the Veyron might never make it into production so it isn't a supercar, but a concept car. And you put the corvette instead of Chevrolet because the corvette is Chevrolet's only superca,r if you can call it a supercar that is.
No need to bash him on his opinion. :(

Coventrysucks
10-02-2004, 11:59 AM

Ariel
Ascari
Aston Martin
Caterham
Farboud
Jaguar
Lister
Lola
Lotus
Marcos
McLaren
MG
Morgan
Noble
Radical
Stealth
TVR
Ultima
Westfield
:)

phathash
10-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Great Britain definatly makes the best supercars heres some of the best

Mclaren F1
Jag XJ220
Noble M400
Ascari KZ1
Lotus Esprit
TVR Sagaris
TVR Typhon (if they bother to make it)

phathash
10-02-2004, 01:04 PM
A few things, firstly the Enzo is hideous and doesnt do justice to the great man himself, secondly just because TVR is owned by one russian man doesnt automatically make it russian and by the way is MG going to make the the SVR with the added nitrous kit???

QuattroMan
10-02-2004, 05:10 PM

what car do you think should get first place???? :confused:

jcp123
10-02-2004, 05:32 PM
the Enzo is hideous

Word. Except for the back, that angle isn't bad.

But I still say that the Supercar arena is and always has been the Italian domain. Other supercars just don't get regarded with the kind of awe as as italian one - any Italian one - does.

QuattroMan
10-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Ariel
Ascari
Aston Martin
Caterham
Farboud
Jaguar
Lister
Lola
Lotus
Marcos
McLaren
MG
Morgan
Noble
Radical
Stealth
TVR
Ultima
Westfield

I know I was just kidding :D

jcp123
10-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Is Aston really a Supercar marque? I've always thought of it as super premium, but never really Supercar status...

Ferrari Tifosi
10-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Hmmmm, very close between Italy, Germany, and Britain, with Italy coming out on top. The Enzo and the Zonda are amazing.

Fabio Ferrari
10-03-2004, 02:04 AM
Italy, is the out right champion of supercar creators, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani. But just Ferrari and Lamborghini are worlds most famous Supercar makers. I think the only actuall British Supercar maker is Aston Martin, because none of the other british makers could even make anything that could compare to a passionate Italian supercar maker. I find it rather humourous that Coventrysucks considered MG to be a supercar maker. Oh well everyone has there own opinion, it is interesting to see how different everyone is. Cheers mates.

Fabio Ferrari
10-03-2004, 02:08 AM
amen bro, i have to agree with you

every year, italy produces the most desirable supercars ever. ther hot, fast, sound great and have history behind their badges

with cars like the Enzo, Zonda, Murcielago Rodster and Maserati MC12, i think they are on top of the world for supercars

Took the words right out of my mouth mate.

Matra et Alpine
10-03-2004, 02:39 AM
I find it rather humourous that Coventrysucks considered MG to be a supercar maker. Oh well everyone has there own opinion, it is interesting to see how different everyone is. Cheers mates.
Rather than listing the long LONG list of British marquese which ARE supercars and some of which coudl be considered 'best' I'll just add a piece of fact on the MG which maybe you've not seen/heard.....

The MG XPower SV-R, see http://www.mgxpowersv.com/

It's not MY preference, but at Knockhill earlier this year it was the SV that was attracting people attention over the F40 that was there. The only Ferrari to 'beat it' was the 360 racing cars from Scuderia Ecosse :)

oh .... and the Noble :) up with them all for a FRACTION of the price. Which raises the question ... do we decide 'supercar' based on price or quality ??

Fabio Ferrari
10-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Rather than listing the long LONG list of British marquese which ARE supercars and some of which coudl be considered 'best' I'll just add a piece of fact on the MG which maybe you've not seen/heard.....

The MG XPower SV-R, see http://www.mgxpowersv.com/

It's not MY preference, but at Knockhill earlier this year it was the SV that was attracting people attention over the F40 that was there. The only Ferrari to 'beat it' was the 360 racing cars from Scuderia Ecosse :)

oh .... and the Noble :) up with them all for a FRACTION of the price. Which raises the question ... do we decide 'supercar' based on price or quality ??

Well I am aware that MG produce this car, and the fact is that just because an Auto maker produces one supercar it doesnt make it a Supercar Make, if we go along these lines then nearly every car company is a Supercar maker, for example Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Acura, that is just a short list but there are more, and for makes like Mclaren who produce 1 car every 10 years or so should not be considered a supercar maker either. To me it seems that anyone who has alot of money can make a supercar, and if it is fast then people will automatically think it is the best. I just want people to realize that some of these makes should not even be considered.

phathash
10-03-2004, 12:24 PM
When is the ascari KZ1 out?

Matra et Alpine
10-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Well I am aware that MG produce this car, and the fact is that just because an Auto maker produces one supercar it doesnt make it a Supercar Make, if we go along these lines then nearly every car company is a Supercar maker, for example Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Acura, that is just a short list but there are more, and for makes like Mclaren who produce 1 car every 10 years or so should not be considered a supercar maker either. To me it seems that anyone who has alot of money can make a supercar, and if it is fast then people will automatically think it is the best. I just want people to realize that some of these makes should not even be considered.

I see what you're saying Fabio.

can I perhaps rephrase it ?

"A supercar is made in a Ferrari factory.
Any car made anywhere else or by anyone else IS NOT a supercar because it's not built liek or by Ferrari."

Well that's how it read to me :)

PS: Fiat own Ferrari, Fiat make crap cars and lots of them so the Ferrari marque can't be a supercar. Well that's the logic proposed anyway :D

RS6
10-03-2004, 02:37 PM
I see what you're saying Fabio.

can I perhaps rephrase it ?

"A supercar is made in a Ferrari factory.
Any car made anywhere else or by anyone else IS NOT a supercar because it's not built liek or by Ferrari."

Well that's how it read to me :)

PS: Fiat own Ferrari, Fiat make crap cars and lots of them so the Ferrari marque can't be a supercar. Well that's the logic proposed anyway :D

Those are some logical and wise words there. :)

And fabio, how can McLaren not be considered a supercar marque. All the road cars they have produced have been bloody supercars.

PS: You like Ferrari a bit too much.

Fabio Ferrari
10-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Those are some logical and wise words there. :)

And fabio, how can McLaren not be considered a supercar marque. All the road cars they have produced have been bloody supercars.

PS: You like Ferrari a bit too much.

Alright ignore the fact that I like Ferrari for just one second, please Every single Mclaren yes sure has been a supercar sure but how many have there been, next to nothin, and the same goes for Pagani they made a supercar and just because it is fast people for reason think it is better than a Lamborghini or Ferrari or Aston Martin who all have great history behind there names, to me the 3 best Supercar makers are 1. Ferrari 2. Lamborghini 3. Aston Martin because they have history they are built with pride and passion and earn the right to be called supercars, it is hard to explain exactly what I mean but I hope that you can somehow understand what I mean.

PS: Fiat own Ferrari, Fiat make crap cars and lots of them so the Ferrari marque can't be a supercar. Well that's the logic proposed anyway

No mate because then neither would Aston Martin be a supercar because it is owned by Ford, come one mate you bloody 46 wake up and think about what you are saying.

Matra et Alpine
10-03-2004, 11:47 PM
No mate because then neither would Aston Martin be a supercar because it is owned by Ford, come one mate you bloody 46 wake up and think about what you are saying.
I was and you clearly weren't thinking about what you were saying earlier.

Please re-read my comments and think then why MG or Ford can't make a supercar then - it was just 4 posts earlier you were arguing that point.
You can't have it both ways.
Oh, wait, you're a Ferrari fan ( and I presume F1 ) so you do think you can have it both ways :) :) :)

Fabio Ferrari
10-04-2004, 12:35 AM
I was and you clearly weren't thinking about what you were saying earlier.

Please re-read my comments and think then why MG or Ford can't make a supercar then - it was just 4 posts earlier you were arguing that point.
You can't have it both ways.
Oh, wait, you're a Ferrari fan ( and I presume F1 ) so you do think you can have it both ways :) :) :)

Alright first off Fiat and Ford are not supercar makers eventhough they own Companies who do make supercars. So now listen to me Fiat and Ford are not supercar makers but Ferrari and Aston Martin are. MG is not either. I do know exactly what you mean when you said "Oh, wait, you're a Ferrari fan ( and I presume F1 ) so you do think you can have it both ways" but I am sure it is a shot at me being a Ferrari fan

Matra et Alpine
10-04-2004, 12:41 AM
I do know exactly what you mean when you said "Oh, wait, you're a Ferrari fan ( and I presume F1 ) so you do think you can have it both ways" but I am sure it is a shot at me being a Ferrari fan
No it's at you being a fanboy and blind to anything else.
Read your position on who is and isn't allowed to be a supercar company and remember Ferrari is just a badge on a car made in a fcatory owned by a company called FIAT.
I know you won't see it, that's the definition of 'fanboy'.
hey, I'm close to 'fanboy' on Matra's and Alpine's but even I don't believe they're the greatest ever ( despite having succeeded in mroe events than Ferrari - it's easy to be a king of one :) )
So we'll agree to disagree, you think Fiat make a small number of supercars with a special badge amongst the millions of FIATs and I think MG make a supercar amongst a few hundred thousand of MGs.
Let's leave it at that as any more won't change the POV.

Koenigsegg_CC
10-04-2004, 02:39 AM
England; the maclaran F1 is still the best supercar out, the XJ220 was the best before that and the TVR speed 12 is just mentally brilliant!! :)

RS6
10-04-2004, 07:09 AM
Alright ignore the fact that I like Ferrari for just one second, please Every single Mclaren yes sure has been a supercar sure but how many have there been, next to nothin, and the same goes for Pagani they made a supercar and just because it is fast people for reason think it is better than a Lamborghini or Ferrari or Aston Martin who all have great history behind there names, to me the 3 best Supercar makers are 1. Ferrari 2. Lamborghini 3. Aston Martin because they have history they are built with pride and passion and earn the right to be called supercars, it is hard to explain exactly what I mean but I hope that you can somehow understand what I mean.

I don't believe your opinion on the Pagani Zonda to be correct. Have you actually driven the Zonda. If you pay attention to car reviews you will see that everyone who has 'actually' driven the Zonda sees it as better than any Ferrari or Lamborghini equivalent. Being a person who has sat in a Zonda and being up very close, I can certainly say that the car is built with more passion than any Ferrari or Lamborghini of recent times. :)

QuattroMan
10-04-2004, 07:29 AM
will guys I have been reading and reading what car is a super car you guys are all wrong...... this car is my choysssssss..... :D

andy.muc
10-04-2004, 08:00 AM
Get back to topic!!!
It's not the question what company or wht country makes the best supercars overall...

The question is: Which country makes or has made the best supercar?

Just look for the best supercar ever made. Then see what company built it.
Not the other way around!
That's what this thread is supposed to find out!

QuattroMan
10-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Get back to topic!!!
It's not the question what company or wht country makes the best supercars overall...

The question is: Which country makes or has made the best supercar?

Just look for the best supercar ever made. Then see what company built it.
Not the other way around!
That's what this thread is supposed to find out!

GEEEEE!!! smile my friend :D all doe I love German cars ill take Italy

Fabio Ferrari
10-04-2004, 09:02 PM
GEEEEE!!! smile my friend :D all doe I love German cars ill take Italy

A Madonna finnaly someone who knows a thing or two. Sure I love Ferrari as all of you know and I am a fanboy sure I put Ferrari ahead of everything because Ferrari is the heart and sole of the automotive industry in my mind, but I know when other cars are better than a Ferrari, for example I always like the Diablo more the F50, and Ferrari do not produces Luxury Sedans or SUV's so they lose in those categories as well. Alright now Ferrari is not just a special badge on a Fiat, Ferrari is not made in a Fiat Factory, Ferrari is made in the Ferrari factory, and the people who work there are employed by Ferrari not Fiat so I suggest that you get your facts correct, you clearly do not know to much about Ferrari or Italian automobiles, and I can guarantee you that Ferrari, Lamoborghini, Alfa Romeo, Pagani are all built with more passion and more care, and more quality than anything from England or France. I think that people would much rather sit behind the wheel of a Ferrari 288 GTO over a Matra or Alpine.

Matra et Alpine
10-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Alright now Ferrari is not just a special badge on a Fiat, Ferrari is not made in a Fiat Factory, Ferrari is made in the Ferrari factory, and the people who work there are employed by Ferrari not Fiat so I suggest that you get your facts correct, you clearly do not know to much about Ferrari or Italian automobiles,
BS !!
Every 'marque' is built in a factory owned by the marque and built by employees of that marqe. bentely, Asont, Jaguar et al
So your argumetn is AGAIN wrong in that it says some marquesa can't be coz they're Ford.
You try to win both ways and only show lack of understanding of the car industry yourself :)
But lets put THAT aside.....

and I can guarantee you that Ferrari, Lamoborghini, Alfa Romeo, Pagani are all built with more passion and more care, and more quality than anything from England or France
YOU SERIOUSLY THINK THAT ?
You really are a fanboy aren't you.
I'm not aware of ANY top marque which isn't designed and built with passion.
Can you please name one ?
'quality' ? Porsche are MUCH higher quality over the life of the car than Ferrari, I've seen it at first hand !!

. I think that people would much rather sit behind the wheel of a Ferrari 288 GTO over a Matra or Alpine.
OK, but I bet most folks would rather sit behidn the wheel of a Ford Mondeao than a Ferrari 400GT.
Single car comparisons are pointless and irrelevant.
I've not claimed that Matra or Alpine are supercars :) Letting the usual 'fanboy defense' get in the way - ie rubbish what you THINK the other persons said.
I contributed to this thread because your bias is SO HUGE I thought it worthy of asking you to explore other poosibilities. You don't want to are unwilling to or are scared to. Shame as there are LOTS of cars as good as and better than Ferrari out there.
and in the history of Supercars, there are many contenders with only a hairs-breadth of difference.
In those differences come our own personal preferences and we shoudl recognise and relish THOSE :)

fpv_gtho
10-05-2004, 03:08 AM
My favourite types of supercars are the hardcore types like Koenigsegg, TVR, Noble etc and individual ones like the Zonda, Joss and S7...out of all the countries of origin for them, i dont know if i could accurately rate them as each manufacturer would have different demands and influences on their designs etc. from them being in different countries, like for example, Matthew Thomas when he designed the JOSS, i dare say wouldve gone through things alot differently to say Noble or TVR..

QuattroMan
10-05-2004, 06:17 PM
A Madonna finnaly someone who knows a thing or two. Sure I love Ferrari as all of you know and I am a fanboy sure I put Ferrari ahead of everything because Ferrari is the heart and sole of the automotive industry in my mind, but I know when other cars are better than a Ferrari, for example I always like the Diablo more the F50, and Ferrari do not produces Luxury Sedans or SUV's so they lose in those categories as well. Alright now Ferrari is not just a special badge on a Fiat, Ferrari is not made in a Fiat Factory, Ferrari is made in the Ferrari factory, and the people who work there are employed by Ferrari not Fiat so I suggest that you get your facts correct, you clearly do not know to much about Ferrari or Italian automobiles, and I can guarantee you that Ferrari, Lamoborghini, Alfa Romeo, Pagani are all built with more passion and more care, and more quality than anything from England or France. I think that people would much rather sit behind the wheel of a Ferrari 288 GTO over a Matra or Alpine.

All doe I admire your love for Ferrari but truly there are other super cars out there isn't it? I truly love Italian cars but I do also love other cars,please don't get me wrong but I think it will boring just to have one favorite car,,,,and yes we all have our opinions, for example,,,many people think Koenigsegg is the super car,,,,,I don't think so,but its my opinion only....I would not trade Lamborghini or Ferrari whit this car never,,,,will what I am trying to say is Ferrari is not the only super car out there....P.S I love Italy.......beautiful country....

except KOENIGEGG this are my favoritess....

QuattroMan
10-05-2004, 06:19 PM
All doe I admire your love for Ferrari but truly there are other super cars out there isn't it? I truly love Italian cars but I do also love other cars,please don't get me wrong but I think it will boring just to have one favorite car,,,,and yes we all have our opinions, for example,,,many people think Koenigsegg is the super car,,,,,I don't think so,but its my opinion only....I would not trade Lamborghini or Ferrari whit this car never,,,,will what I am trying to say is Ferrari is not the only super car out there....P.S I love Italy.......beautiful country....

part two :D

F1_Master
10-05-2004, 06:25 PM
The Vette, Viper, and 911 (Depends which) are supercars.
Mustang is a sports car.

The cars you listed are also classified as Exotics or Ultimate Machines.

The Ferrari F40 and 50 are considered Extreme machines, while the Enzo is an Ultimate Machine.

It may also depend on the classification.

QuattroMan
10-05-2004, 06:26 PM
part two :D

part three :D

QuattroMan
10-05-2004, 06:27 PM

you got my 5 star vote...

Fabio Ferrari
10-05-2004, 06:29 PM

Your absolutley right mate, I need to broaden my horizons, and see beyond Italy. Well I apologize to Matra for some of things that I have said, but I would like to tell him that I do know how the automotive industry works just to let you know. Quattro-Man you have great taste mate. Cheers.

QuattroMan
10-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Mustang is a sports car.

The Ferrari F40 and 50 are considered Extreme machines, while the Enzo is an Ultimate Machine.

to me this are super cars :D

fpv_gtho
10-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Mustang is a sports car.

That just doesnt make sense to me though......America's sports car is now a supercar?

r1ckst4
10-05-2004, 09:21 PM
i dont think those americans sport cars are supercars... but when u think about it....what makes a car to deserve the title supercar???

jcp123
10-05-2004, 09:28 PM
i dont think those americans sport cars are supercars... but when u think about it....what makes a car to deserve the title supercar???

speed and exclusivity.

r1ckst4
10-05-2004, 09:47 PM
speed and exclusivity.
ok then... here i give u a SUPER CAR!!!

:D :D :D :p

jcp123
10-05-2004, 10:05 PM
That's a box body. No exclusivity.

PerfAdv
10-06-2004, 12:22 AM
ace, bad, best kind, beyond compare, boss, capital, champion, chief, choicest, cool, crowing, culminating, finest, first, first-class, first-rate, foremost, greatest, highest, incomparable, inimitable, leading, matchless, nonpareil, number one, optimum, outstanding, paramount, peerless, perfect, pre-eminent, premium, prime, primo, principal, sans pareil, super, superlative, supreme, terrific, tops, tough, transcendent, unequaled, unparalleled, unrivaled

These are the synonyms for BEST. To say that a country makes the best supercars is to make an exaggerated claim. Which can only lead to debate and argument: maybe that's the point. But there are no cars which are peerless or incomparable or perfect or unparalled...etc. They might be better than another in some respect. They can be considered better for a certain quality. They can be considered best only if you state the criteria.

For supercars the criteria might differ for different people but some qualities are a must: IMO speed is vital. Superiority of speed can be established with instrumented tests and is therefore an objective non-negotiable. Handling too is an objective numbers related criterion but some subjectives of how does it feel at speed come into play here. Then its mostly subjectives. The feel of the brakes. The feel of the steering. The feel of the suspension. The feel of the controls: the shifter, the clutch, and for the driver one of the most important pieces, the seat. How does the seat hold the person in a position of control. Ergonomics has advanced greatly, where older exotics the seating was determined by the exterior design and not much else and many times that meant a leaning back(almost lying down) position with head propped up. Another criteria is image. Very difficult criterion but vital in overall judging. For me the show 'Miami Vice' destroyed the image of the Testarossa. A drugsrelated-impounded-tacky-whiteleathered-redlightdistrictcruising machine. The only Ferrari I don't like. By putting all these criteria together and you have the answer for BEST overall. Soccer: the teams duke it out and establish best after about 90 minutes. This is very different. So unless you establish criterion to be used and then compare, there is no way of coming to any agreement.

Handling feel, really overall feel of the car can only be perfected through having built and rebuilt cars, each time bettering these subjectives. That's why I can't see in the subjectives atleast, how a clean-sheet design can better established or evolutionary designs. Unless we could compare these cars side-by-side it's difficult to measure such differences. Second best thing is have an impartial driver give his input on the subjective differences and judge based on that.

r1ckst4
10-06-2004, 01:50 AM
:eek: wow... ur opinion is spot on!... u sound like a real expert! :cool: u know i think you should work at top gear or sumthin or work at a car magazine!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive4.jpg

PsychoChimp22
10-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Id was Italy, Germany, and England, For the obvoious Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, Jag.

QuattroMan
10-06-2004, 03:00 PM

I have no idea how I miss this on... :confused:
I agree on the Mustang, but come on Corvette-911 !!!
OH!!! YAAAA! it is your opinion only and cant blame you...

QuattroMan
10-08-2004, 02:49 PM

some guys think there Honda civic is a super car lol :D

Deutscher Adler
10-13-2004, 02:15 PM
GERMANY hands down everytime.

The McClaren F1......okay but it has a big GERMAN HEART the BMW engine that makes the car move.

Deutscher Adler
10-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Chew on this for a tit and then tell me about it....

REPRESENTING THE TRUE GERMAN POWER

Checky :

Deutscher Adler
10-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Germany rules what??

Deutscher Adler
10-13-2004, 05:07 PM
By the way the Germans own Lambo too.

Fabio Ferrari
10-13-2004, 05:16 PM
By the way the Germans own Lambo too.

Well Lamborghini is built in Italy, at St. Agata Bolongese. This is the only Lamborghini Factory in the world. So sure it may be own by a German company but they are still built in Italy. Therefore they are Italian

Deutscher Adler
10-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Ok I give you that. But there is still a sourkraut running around in that factory I bet. :)

Deutscher Adler
10-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Ok how about this car as a super car?

Does a super car have to be ungodly fast????
German Triumph is almost upon us.

Checky:

Matra et Alpine
10-13-2004, 05:38 PM
hey, D-A, where's the picture of the Audi over the yump from ?
That's one of the GBM RallySport cars :)

Deutscher Adler
10-13-2004, 05:46 PM
hey, D-A, where's the picture of the Audi over the yump from ?
That's one of the GBM RallySport cars :)

Do you like that? :)
I love rally. I have a personal friend who has a tunershop for strictly prodrive in England. He has an Audi like myself and we chit chat about rally, tuning, and motorsport all the time. He gave me several photos from the rallys he has attended. He goes to England all the time to see his friends at Prodrive.
That's where I got the photo from.

phathash
10-15-2004, 03:21 PM
imo heres the best cars from each country
USA- Saleen S7 (soon to be out gunned by Chrysler ME412 if they make it)
UK- McLaren F1
Italy- Enzo (still think its ugly)
Germany- Porsche Carrera GT
Sweden- Koenigsegg CCR

Mustang
10-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Do you like that? :)
I love rally. I have a personal friend who has a tunershop for strictly prodrive in England. He has an Audi like myself and we chit chat about rally, tuning, and motorsport all the time. He gave me several photos from the rallys he has attended. He goes to England all the time to see his friends at Prodrive.
That's where I got the photo from.

Wow prodrive is Hauge, any chance that you could get me a pass to go there one day ? ;) :)

Hehe you chit chat about it, im doing it next year :D and Matra already does it :o

Deutscher Adler
10-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Hehe you chit chat about it, im doing it next year :D and Matra already does it :o

What are you referring too? Just curious? :confused:

cuntukimushroom
10-16-2004, 07:07 AM
for me again i think either italy germany or sweden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MCMZ4E
10-16-2004, 09:07 AM
germany porsche of course

Deutscher Adler
10-16-2004, 04:42 PM
germany porsche of course

You rock!

charged
10-16-2004, 04:51 PM
this is european cars not japanese .Last time I checked Japan was a country in Asia somewhere,get a atlas buffhead,also if its Euro cars why are they including Corvettes etc,read the start of the thread :mad:

Deutscher Adler
10-17-2004, 11:27 AM
:eek: wow... ur opinion is spot on!... u sound like a real expert! :cool: u know i think you should work at top gear or sumthin or work at a car magazine!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/positive4.jpg

Dude your Avatar is crazy. :)

Deutscher Adler
10-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Germany makes the best supercar in the world and this is what dat car looks like! Take a good look at this model I threw in the 4th and 2nd generations for your viewing pleasure. :D

Checky:

Matt Doe
10-20-2004, 03:11 AM
ITALY NO Qs ASKED!!!!

Zonda_man
10-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Italy- pagani, lambo ferrari

marcus_wickwar
10-23-2004, 10:21 AM
England obiously!!! although the bugatti is a gr8 car!

Lambo r-gt
11-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Exactly Mustang Italy for the LAMBOS

F1_Master
11-27-2004, 01:39 AM
Hmm...

I always thought Bugatti was Italian. Guess I learned something new. Maybe I thought it was Italian due to the looks.

Anyways, Italy! With the Lamborghini Diablo VT.

jyi1693
12-07-2004, 08:19 AM
germany....porsches and bmws!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

ashes2ashes
12-08-2004, 08:15 AM
germany....porsches and bmws!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
BMW don't have a supercar.
Best country with supercars... I can't say, altoughI guess I wouldhave to go with Italy. Their supercars seem to fit more into the world of reality driving

quattro_20v
12-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Well Lamborghini is built in Italy, at St. Agata Bolongese. This is the only Lamborghini Factory in the world. So sure it may be own by a German company but they are still built in Italy. Therefore they are Italian

There are also lambo's being manufactured at audisport where the S and RS models are made. But this doesnt take away its still an italian sportscar, with some german blood maybe.

And to go ontopic... Because it only includes the really top end sportscars I'd go for italy, but any other matter I would choose germany

LandQuail
06-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Are you people all ****ing stupid? Surely I'm not the only one here who doesn't write and think like a fool. If the first 911's weren't supercars then I'm a goddamn barn owl.

... Excuse me... Let me try to make a point more eloquently.

Lots of people around the world make supercars. The roadgoing Cobras and GT 40's and Shelby GT 350 and GT 500 Muskrats rank among the finest cars ever, with the racy 'Vettes getting a very honorable mention, and sometimes even more credit (ZR-1, Z-06). Somehow the Corvette just doesn't capture me as it should... The latest Z-06 being the exception. It is what the C-5 Z-06 should have been, had the "guys from corporate" not signed off on the final design.

Australia? Are you ****ing kidding me? The Best Supercar? Everything Australia has or has had has come from the pandering hand of Ford or GM. Let me explain myself: Australia never quit making musclecars. They make those Ford Falcon V-8's and Holden Monaro's and whatever else I don't know about and they're GREAT. Fantastic cars and it brings a pridefull tear to my American eye to think that Australia NEVER quit making musclecars. God bless you for all that but you never made a supercar.

France. ****ing France. They give us the Clio 182, but that's all we get. A taste of what their engineers are capable of, without satisfying anybody's appetite fully.

England. Oh, yeah, here we go. The same country that planted a foot in the sand and held off Hitler with the Spitfire, powered by the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine: The only engine that really mattered in the 20th Century. They gave us both the fastest motorcycle and car in the early 60's with the E-Type and the Vincent Black Shadow. Gives me the ****ing shivers, that name, Vincent Black Shadow... Can't get better. And then came the Heroic attempts of the Bluebirds... It's the Can-Do spirit of the English that gives them a hell of a foothold on any claim to best mechanical anything. What have we got supercar-wise though? Pretty much all the sporting Bentleys from 1920 to 1940, the Triumph TR-2, the Frazier Nash LM (still regarded and feared by everybody who matters,) The Jensen Interceptor, the line of TVR's going up and through the purchase of TVR by Teenage Russian Zillionaire Nikolai Smolenski, The Jag XK-E, XK-13, XK-220, and Jag C and D-types. God save the Queen. Makes me wish the colonies never split off.

Germany. Oh, dear. Those Nazi scum made some pretty ****ing impressive cars pre-war. How about TWO HUNDRED AND SIXTY SOME-ODD ****ING MILES PER HOUR IN 1938??? That's what Mercedes-Benz were up to back in the day. Then came the war... It's hard to come back from that kind of shame, but they made us love them again with the 300 SL Gullwing. Everybody rembers everybody they ever saw step out of a Gullwing onto an unworthy curb. Then came the heady days of the Porsche RSK Spyder, in which James Dean was killed by a guy with the last name Turnipseed. Then, after a dormant spell, came the BMW CSL "Batmobile," whose biplane spoiler setup is being copied by Subaru today, and the Porsche 911s and 911 Turbos and the stupifying Porsche 959. These days, however "Zee Germans" like to play it safe, relying on ever-faster 911 derivatives and gigantic-engined Mercs to do their dirty work.

Sweden's Gillette Vertigo looks like shit, but goes like stink. Sure it's fast, but Who Drives One? Nobody could crawl out of bed, put their trowsers on, and drive a Vertigo to work. It was built to smash the Nurburgring record, and it did it. Great ****ing work, Sweden. You could have just asked Audi nicely to pin your badge on last season's RS-8 and done the same thing.

Japan had some mighty fine cars, but none qualify the country for Best Ever status. They all were fine copies of European ideas, many surpassing their inspiration on an engineering level, but never in emotive terms. The Skylines make me ache to own one, and the NSX was a masterpiece, but they don't pull at the heatstrings like say, a...

FERRARI, LAMBORGHINI, MASERATI, PAGANI, OR LANCIA STRATOS. That's right. It's Italy that gets the nod. Those wacky wops make the most desirable cars in the world, bar none. I think that any explanation for this would be a waste of letters for anybody who knows shit from shinola, but I'll give some numbers and names anyway:
Ferrari 250Mille Miglia, 250 Tour De France, 250 GTO, 250 LM, 250 California 275 GTB, 365 California, 365GTB (Daytona), 288 GTO, 308, 328, 512 Berlinetta Boxter, 288 GTO EVO, F-40 (!), 512 Testarossa, F-50, Enzo.
Lamborghini Miura, Espada, Jalpa, Countach, Diablo, Murthielago, Gallardo.
Lancia Flamina, Delta Evolutzione, S4 Stradale, Stratos.
Alfas of all sorts that escape my memory...

Hands down, the Italians have the market cornered on Supercars, followed closely by the Brits. Any disagreements will only lead to enjoyable debate. Replies please, but only if you're not the sort of dumbass who uses a certain number when trying to say "also."

henk4
06-10-2006, 02:18 AM
France. ****ing France. They give us the Clio 182, but that's all we get. A taste of what their engineers are capable of, without satisfying anybody's appetite fully.

Sweden's Gillette Vertigo looks like shit, but goes like stink. Sure it's fast, but Who Drives One?

there will probably people who say not to reopen a dead thread, but anyway, now that we are at it, you are in need of some factual corrections.

France did a little more than the Clio, you may recall some of the Alpines and the latest GTA Turbo versions were quite capable cars. Furthermore we had a brief spell of the existence of the Venturi, which also did not rank among the slowest cars.

The Gillet (not the cosmetics name:D )Vertigo is produced in Belgium, while Sweden is now giving us the Koenigsegg....

best

Piacki_117
06-10-2006, 03:24 AM
France. ****ing France. They give us the Clio 182, but that's all we get.

We have also the 206 HDi.

dydzi
06-10-2006, 04:45 AM
Are you people all ****ing stupid? Surely I'm not the only one here who doesn't write and think like a fool. If the first 911's weren't supercars then I'm a goddamn barn owl.

too bad you don't know anything about cars :)

german has always undoubtly had the very best supercars - starting from pre-war benz and mercedes-benz, they reached the apogeum in early 90's - porsche 962 (and all the later versions of it - DP 962, Dauer 962, Koenig C62, Schuppan 962 CR) and lotec's projects have no competitors up to this day

not mentioning amazing tuners like brabus, kleeman, amg or alpina - now you need to have some skills to make a limo with topspeed reaching 330 km/h!

i'll give up a lesson with france, cause names like venturi, mega or matra don't say anything to you anyway. only bugatti, which was making some amazing cars before the war as well (and they ARE NOT italian)

italy make beatiful supercars, but they've never been the best

clutch-monkey
06-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Australia? Are you ****ing kidding me? The Best Supercar? Everything Australia has or has had has come from the pandering hand of Ford or GM. Let me explain myself: Australia never quit making musclecars. They make those Ford Falcon V-8's and Holden Monaro's and whatever else I don't know about and they're GREAT. Fantastic cars and it brings a pridefull tear to my American eye to think that Australia NEVER quit making musclecars. God bless you for all that but you never made a supercar.
uh... actually holden made it's own V8 during the 90's and used nissan RB30's in the 80's. And Fords 4.0L inline six, especially the turbo versions, are all locally built and designed, which is why you never see them in american fords.
But yeah, supercar? one, and they're still trying to get investors for it, lol.

Kooper
06-10-2006, 10:56 AM
None of the above, as far as countries go.

I think the McLaren is the best supercar yet. Maybe not the best handling, or the best price or whatever, but I think it set the ball rolling for a supercar reneissance.

You could say it's a British car, and officially it is, but look behind the scenes: Engine designed and engineered in Germany by BMW (no doubt also consisted of an international team), chassis made in UK by McLaren (international team no doubt) and designed by... ...a South African. Gordon Murray.

So my answer would be: The UN designs the best cars! :D

Ferrer
06-10-2006, 03:02 PM
there will probably people who say not to reopen a death thread, but anyway, now that we are at it, you are in need of some factual corrections.

France did a little more than the Clio, you may recall some of the Alpines and the latest GTA Turbo versions were quite capable cars. Furthermore we had a brief spell of the existence of the Venturi, which also did not rank among the slowest cars.

The Gillet (not the cosmetics name:D )Vertigo is produced in Belgium, while Sweden is now giving us the Koenigsegg....

best
And in France if you looked outside the 90's you've got the simply amazing Bugatti Type 57 SC or the Type 35 Gransport, those are most definitely supercars. But I have to agree that Italians are the best whe making supercars, Britain might have give us the sportscar, but Italy "invented" the supercar, hence they get my vote also.

spi-ti-tout
06-10-2006, 03:44 PM
China, because they make small toy models of supercars that we can actually put in our room, see, and enjoy every single day.

clutch-monkey
06-10-2006, 03:49 PM
China, because they make small toy models of supercars that we can actually put in our room, see, and enjoy every single day.
good answer! :eek: :)

2ndclasscitizen
06-10-2006, 05:08 PM
uh... actually holden made it's own V8 during the 90's and used nissan RB30's in the 80'sOh come on clutch, they made their own V8 for longer than in the 90's. The 308 and 243 V8s were around for like 30-odd years. Plus the triple carb, hi-compression 186s and 202s powering the XU-1s made them what I 'd consider a supercar of it's time, massive performance, racing pedigree, all that's missing is some badge

clutch-monkey
06-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh come on clutch, they made their own V8 for longer than in the 90's. The 308 and 243 V8s were around for like 30-odd years. Plus the triple carb, hi-compression 186s and 202s powering the XU-1s made them what I 'd consider a supercar of it's time, massive performance, racing pedigree, all that's missing is some badge
yeah, but i wasn't around for those/didn't know about them :D

mavanhaasteren
06-11-2006, 12:44 AM
Ferrari makes and has made the best en beautiful cars

Falcon500
06-11-2006, 02:14 AM
Oh come on clutch, they made their own V8 for longer than in the 90's. The 308 and 243 V8s were around for like 30-odd years. Plus the triple carb, hi-compression 186s and 202s powering the XU-1s made them what I 'd consider a supercar of it's time, massive performance, racing pedigree, all that's missing is some badge
First holden v8 (253) debued in the holden Hurracane concept which was a driveable concept and manged a 13 flat 1/4 mile time in the late 60s so i think it can be counted as a super car.

And if people count the DeTomaso i think the Bolwell Nagari can be counted as well as a super car

spi-ti-tout
06-11-2006, 02:19 AM
good answer! :eek: :)
It's the BoJ perspective. ;)

Markie Boy
06-11-2006, 04:38 AM
Ey just a correction if im actually right about the veyron because last time i read an article about it it stated that Volkswagon funded bugatti to make the veyron and it was made in sicily not in france where bugatti origionaly came from. If im wrong tell me.

dydzi
06-11-2006, 05:49 AM
Ey just a correction if im actually right about the veyron because last time i read an article about it it stated that Volkswagon funded bugatti to make the veyron and it was made in sicily not in france where bugatti origionaly came from. If im wrong tell me.

bugatti was born in france. ettore founded his factory in molsheim, which was a german city before the war. after the war it was on french territory

Markie Boy
06-11-2006, 07:36 PM
bugatti was born in france. ettore founded his factory in molsheim, which was a german city before the war. after the war it was on french territory

Alrighty Then.

kingofthering
06-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Germany or Italy

john14
06-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Land Quail

Land_Quail, I hope the American vice-president Dick Cheney... will go Quail hunting again soon (hopefully, he will not shoot another innocent human during his next hunting session) :D

DesmoRob
06-12-2006, 10:49 PM

I think at least the GT2 desserves the title of Supercar, but definetly the GT1. The 911s are a debatable group of cars.

LandQuail
06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Yeah. I was drinking when I wrote my last post. Sorry. Ok, I didn't know that Venturi was French, but they didn't make very many cars and I've kind of classified them (perhapse erroneously) into the "90's supercar gold-rush vehicles that didn't have enough thrust (money) behind them to escape their own gravity" file. As for the Dauer 959, or whatever number they finally put behind it, it was a racecar with indicator lights, in no way practical or comfortable. Not that I wouldn't be thrilled to have the option of hopping in one and driving down the road to get a coke and bag of dorritos, but how long does the clutch last?, and how often will it need a hugely expensive service? You'd be better off going to Lola, or buying one of MG's LMP2 cars. Or, as I have often said, an old Formula Ford car, or the equivalent.

And I can't stress enough how much respect I have for Australia's Can-Do spirit when it comes to cars, but as somebody pointed out, they haven't had the funding to build a supercar, which is a great shame.

Yeah, I know that the French gave us Bugatti, and they were indeed supercars of the finest order, but Bugatti crumbled during the second Big Stupid War and (EB-110 aside) haven't regrouped. And I'm not fooled by that big 1,000 bhp, 250 mph Audi. It's as German as the V-2. Rumor has it that Audi purchased the rights to the Bugatti name after producing for its former owners a box filled with strips of shiny paper, which they all carried back to their nests in lofty corners of the old Bugatti factory like big magpies. While they were gone, Audi stole an emblem from the back of an old Royale and said that anybody who didn't like it would get "the old dutch rub." That rumor hasn't been fully substantiated, but I think that the truth wouldn't be far removed.

And france did, at one point, buil fine rally cars, like the Peugeot whateveritwas that broke the Pikes Peak record at the hands of Ari Vanatten (probably spelled wrong.) And I imagine that Pescarolo is French, and those aren't slow, but what world-changing supercars have they made?

Oh, I didn't know that Gillet was Belgian. Thanks.

And I suppose that the Koenigsegg is a worthy supercar, though I really haven't heard anything about them other than that they have devestating accelleration and that the company's founder is as hairless as a newborn porpoise. (he's got that wierd Lex Luthor condition) But they aren't really bringing any new techniques to the table, and frankly, I'm getting bored with the new top-speed wars. If the Koenigsegg exceeds 260, or 270, or whatever they're aiming at, then Audi will have to build a 10,000 horsepower EB-147 Harbeteuse 3 or something and go 300mph, and so on and so forth until the richest speed freaks will have no choice but to park a Thrust SSC in their drives. Or maybe an SR-71 with clipped wings, if they want to be percieved by their billionaire neighbors as someone who appreciates classics.

The thrill of the original E-Type was chasing that magic 150, which I've read that only a few very carefully built examples could do. 150 was an insane speed considering the tire and brake technology of the day, but with a straight clear road, it's eminently possible. You can't go 250 on the road today, even an "almost deserted" stretch of autobahn would be too crowded. Imagine overtaking at closing speeds approaching two hundred... Top speed would simply depend to how many chances the driver wanted to take.

I know that the game has moved on since the XKE, and I made it a point to lift the styrofoam cup from the cupholder (with a shaking hand) and sip some coffee the last time I maxxed out my Subaru at 150mph, but really, come on, 250? Where's the joke to go with that punchline?

I've said too much, I suppose, but it's all in good fun, and hopefully somebody will correct any stupid points I make and serve to narrow my ignorance in this wacky-races field of study that is the supercar. Squawk.

henk4
06-13-2006, 01:09 PM
you sound a whole lot better when you are sober:) Not suffering from sleep deprivation because of lack of darkness in the north during the summer?

nicadraus
06-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi to all.

This thread is very entertaining. Because people who post here are arguing about which country makes the best supercar and yet one topic leads to another... and another... and so on.

Ok here are my opinions and some facts as well.

The term "Supercar" was first used and given to Lamborghini Miura when it first came out and was shown to the public in 1965. Some people here would surely not agree but if you read the history, then you'll know. Before the Miura, Ferrari made GT cars. Not supercars.

McLaren F1 is british made but it is powered by the Germans (BMW).

Among all American made sportscars, only Saleen S7 will qualify as a real American supercar.

The Acura NSX is considered as the only Japanese supercar. As mentioned in BBC's topgear. Though its speed doesn't reach the 200mph+ mark, its design and performance makes it a supercar.

The first ever production supercar by Porsche is the 959.

In terms of supercars, Lamborghini started it all. Followed by Ferrari. Then the list goes on. As a matter of fact, everywhere you go in the world, more people know that when it comes to supercars, Italians are the pioneer and probably the best makers. Who would argue with that?

Ferrer
06-15-2006, 12:44 PM
In terms of supercars, Lamborghini started it all. Followed by Ferrari. Then the list goes on. As a matter of fact, everywhere you go in the world, more people know that when it comes to supercars, Italians are the pioneer and probably the best makers. Who would argue with that?

I can't agree with that. What Lamborghini invented with the Miura is the modern supercar, but supercars existed long before Lamborghini had decided to make cars. The supercar was invented, probably, with the desire of man of going faster and faster. So in the very begginings of the car history that is. We could consider one of the first supercars the Lightining Benz for instance, and there could be examples before it (don't remeber it now, and can't be bothered to look it up... :p).

nicadraus
06-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I can't agree with that. What Lamborghini invented with the Miura is the modern supercar, but supercars existed long before Lamborghini had decided to make cars. The supercar was invented, probably, with the desire of man of going faster and faster. So in the very begginings of the car history that is. We could consider one of the first supercars the Lightining Benz for instance, and there could be examples before it (don't remeber it now, and can't be bothered to look it up... :p).

The terms that existed before "Supercar", were "Sportscar", "Musclecar" or "GT" (Gran Turismo, Gran Touring, etc) that were commonly used on high speed cars during the earlier decades before 1965. The Miura was not just a modern supercar at its time. It was the first supercar. :)

LandQuail
06-16-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't know... Supercar is a very emotive and (subjectively), rather than objectively defined word. Also, the line between racing and sports cars blurs the further back you go. Theoretically, a Ferrari GTO is perfectly street legal. Just get it registered and MOTD'd or whatever and use it to beat around town paying bills and buying milk. You can't do that in an Audi RS8 (or an Ultima GTR, for all practical purposes.) Even the "ultimate supercar," the Mclaren F1 requires a new clutch every 2,000 miles... or is it 3,000? It's too fickle with clutch discs at any rate.

I've gone off-topic. The Jaguar XKSS cannot be called anything, if not a Supercar. It was produced in the (mid?) 50's and was effectively a roadgoing D-type racer. There was nothing as extreme on the road at the time. It fit the ethos of a supercar, even as it is understood today, to a T. Now the quest is for ever higher top speeds, a pursuit that sparks some of the most pathetic discusson this ground-dwelling bird ever did see back at Supercars.net. Sure, the Callaway Wedgehammer Doorvette Slingray-12Mk.15/3-Zakk Wylde Edition may have been capable of 300mph, but who gives a ****? I could strap a top-fuel drag engine to my grandmother's antique claw-footed bathtub and do that.

Also, as an aside, Berndt Rosenmayer put all questions aside as to who makes the fastest street-legal car in 1938. I beleive that the 6.5 liter Auto Union was close enough to a road car of the time to count, and the attempt was on a public road (albeit freshly laid autobahn.) The record books recorded 266.938mph on the first attempt, and legend stretches the speed at which Rosenmayer left the road and crashed fatally to the neighborhood of 270mph. As a testiment one man's trousers-full of unfathomably big and weighty brass balls, Rosenmayer and Auto Union close the books on production car speed records in my mind.

Besides, who really needs to go that fast anyway? Nobody can drive 250, except maybe at Nardo or the Salt Flats. And the pure racers aren't making much sense either. Former pilots claim that the Lockheed Shooting Star would outrun the Thrust SSC if they put proper wheels on it. Why not just fire off the space shuttle out at bonneville for that matter? It all getting a bit dizzy to this tired old gamebird.

IWantAnAudiRS6
06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I think at least the GT2 desserves the title of Supercar, but definetly the GT1. The 911s are a debatable group of cars.
NO.

These are NOT supercars, under any circumstances. A supercar involves starting with a clean sheet, the 911 "Special Editions" and whatnot are merely extending the 911's performance window, not as bespoke machines created as supercars.

Ferrer
06-16-2006, 10:38 AM
I've gone off-topic. The Jaguar XKSS cannot be called anything, if not a Supercar. It was produced in the (mid?) 50's and was effectively a roadgoing D-type racer. There was nothing as extreme on the road at the time.
16 were built in 1957. They had 3.4-litre engines developping 250bhp and could do 150mph.

Ferrer
06-16-2006, 10:39 AM
NO.

These are NOT supercars, under any circumstances. A supercar involves starting with a clean sheet, the 911 "Special Editions" and whatnot are merely extending the 911's performance window, not as bespoke machines created as supercars.
Well the 911 GT1 may carry the name and some parts of the body (light and doors perhaps). But that aside it could be considered as a bespoke machine...

IWantAnAudiRS6
06-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Well the 911 GT1 may carry the name and some parts of the body (light and doors perhaps). But that aside it could be considered as a bespoke machine...
It was designed as a homologation model for a racecar, not the same circumstances as a machine created for extremely fast road driving.

Ferrer
06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
It was designed as a homologation model for a racecar, not the same circumstances as a machine created for extremely fast road driving.
Obviously race cars are too tame for extremely fast road driving, hence they shouldn't be considered supercars... ;)

IWantAnAudiRS6
06-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Obviously race cars are too tame for extremely fast road driving, hence they shouldn't be considered supercars... ;)
I mean that it was designed for the racetrack, not as a road car (or supercar), therefore ruining the logic- the same way that dictates a Ford RS200 or Lancia Delta S4 to not be supercars, despite amazing performance.

Ferrer
06-16-2006, 10:56 AM
I mean that it was designed for the racetrack, not as a road car (or supercar), therefore ruining the logic- the same way that dictates a Ford RS200 or Lancia Delta S4 to not be supercars, despite amazing performance.
Yes you've got a point there, but the 911 GT1 Strassenversion has the performance and the looks and everything. In fact supercars belong to the endurance races (if anywhere) most than any other race series. Look at the McLaren F1. Yes I know it was the other way round (first road car, the race car) but that doesn't make it less of a supercar. On the other hand the Delta S4 Stradale (and the other road going Group B cars) was much slower than its racing brother and much slower than other supercars of the era. In fact I follower your reasoning the Porsche 959 isn't a supercar at all as it was designed in the first place to be a Group B race/rally car, but changes in the regulations meant that after a short period of time it couldn't be race anymore.

IWantAnAudiRS6
06-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Yes you've got a point there, but the 911 GT1 Strassenversion has the performance and the looks and everything. In fact supercars belong to the endurance races (if anywhere) most than any other race series. Look at the McLaren F1. Yes I know it was the other way round (first road car, the race car) but that doesn't make it less of a supercar. On the other hand the Delta S4 Stradale (and the other road going Group B cars) was much slower than its racing brother and much slower than other supercars of the era. In fact I follower your reasoning the Porsche 959 isn't a supercar at all as it was designed in the first place to be a Group B race/rally car, but changes in the regulations meant that after a short period of time it couldn't be race anymore.
That's what makes the McLaren F1 a supercar, and you said it yourself- it was developed for the road first!

The Porsche 959 I would class as a supercar- it may have been [i]designed[/b] as one, but it made much more sense as a road car. I know it was used in rallies, but was this before or after it was released as a road car?

As far as I can see, the very definition of a supercar is hard to pigeonhole- there are always going to be shades of grey, as with any other category. The 911 I think of as a sportscar, even the hardcore versions like the GT2 and Turbo are just very fast sportscars.

The GT1 slightly conflicts, but the homologation argument can be used, as it wasn't designed as a road car.

Then the 959 blurs it further (unless it was released as a road car first...

Ferrer
06-16-2006, 11:59 AM
That's what makes the McLaren F1 a supercar, and you said it yourself- it was developed for the road first!

The Porsche 959 I would class as a supercar- it may have been [i]designed[/b] as one, but it made much more sense as a road car. I know it was used in rallies, but was this before or after it was released as a road car?

As far as I can see, the very definition of a supercar is hard to pigeonhole- there are always going to be shades of grey, as with any other category. The 911 I think of as a sportscar, even the hardcore versions like the GT2 and Turbo are just very fast sportscars.

The GT1 slightly conflicts, but the homologation argument can be used, as it wasn't designed as a road car.

Then the 959 blurs it further (unless it was released as a road car first...
First of all I completely agree with you on the 911, it may be fast or ultra fast, but it still isn't a supercar. The problems is, whenever homolagtion cars have to be built they always have to be built prior to the cars racing in that category. So that means that actually the 959 and I believe the 911 GT1 was first built and then raced (or at least at the same time). The 959 was intended to be a Group B car from day one, in fact until the 959 name was given to it it was known as the "Gruppe B studie". Porsche believed it would recover its past glory in rallying. Production of the actual 959 started in 1987. In 1985 the 959 had taken part in the Paris-Dakar (altough with a 911 drivetrain) and in 1986 the 959 won the Paris-Dakar (this time the actual 959) and came 7th overall in the 24h of Le Mans. So the car was actually racing before hitting the road...

Markie Boy
06-16-2006, 07:54 PM
I'd say the Bugatti Veyron or the Ferrari F430 but thats just using my head to decide which one is the best because it just comes down to personal opinion.

acfsambo
06-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Sweden
Koenigsegg are the best supercars going around.

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-16-2006, 10:22 PM
supercars must push the performance envelope to the absolute limit without comprimise

for that reason i dont believe the bugatti is a supercar just because it's too civilized

though i cant remember this far i can imagine the days of the F40 and diablo, it's just you, and your ass planted an inch from the floor with no sound deadening and electronic controls, supercars dont neccesarily have to be the fastest thing around a cirquit (that's a race car's job), they just have to thrill you and make you feel alive

Markie Boy
06-16-2006, 11:10 PM
supercars must push the performance envelope to the absolute limit without comprimise

for that reason i dont believe the bugatti is a supercar just because it's too civilized

though i cant remember this far i can imagine the days of the F40 and diablo, it's just you, and your ass planted an inch from the floor with no sound deadening and electronic controls, supercars dont neccesarily have to be the fastest thing around a cirquit (that's a race car's job), they just have to thrill you and make you feel alive

Yeh mate supercars today do all that besides the boring ones. i.e. SLR most boring ride ever.

2ndclasscitizen
06-17-2006, 01:53 AM
I think the only reason the Veyron is civilised is due to the AWD system. I think the Zonda has a better interior, and I don't believe the Veyron's is any moer plush or fancy than the current crop of supercars.

06-17-2006, 06:53 PM
england-TVRs,Xj220,F1,Lotus

Zondaboy1
06-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Italy - Pagani, Ferrari, Lamborghini (the power 3)
England - Aston, Lotus, Jag, TVR, McLaren, (isnt the Stealth B6 from there)
Holland - Spyker
Sweden - Koenigsegg
Germany - Porsche, Mercedes, BMW
USA - Saleen

Ferrer
06-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Germany - Porsche, Mercedes, BMW
Yes, a Mercedes A150 and a BMW 116i are definitely supercars... :p And yet Lancia? Alfa Romeo? Bugatti?...

RazaBlade
06-18-2006, 04:50 AM
I would def have to go with Germany

Porsche - Carrera GT
Mercedes - SLR, engine for the Pagani Zonda F
BMW - Engine for the Mclaren F1

SaleenFiend
05-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Italy has the best Supercars,BAR NONE!! Lamborghini,Ferrari,Maserati to name a few. What other country comes close? Don't bother answering,it's not even just that,close?

DanWheldon
05-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Yes, a Mercedes A150 and a BMW 116i are definitely supercars... :p And yet Lancia? Alfa Romeo? Bugatti?...

Mercedes once wished to produce the C112i Silver Arrow, but Isdera made it

AMG also made the engines for the Zonda

Ferrer
05-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Mercedes once wished to produce the C112i Silver Arrow, but Isdera made it

AMG also made the engines for the Zonda
And they had the Gullwing.

But italians have manufacturers devoted to making only supercars.

That has to count for something.

key1710
05-26-2008, 03:24 PM
I would say Britian.
McLaren F1 - Held the record for fastest road car for ages.
Ultima GTR - Broke loads of records.
Ariel Atom - One of the best handling cars in the world.
Jaguar E type - Probably the best looking car in the world.
And thers many more.

Ingolstadt
05-27-2008, 11:56 PM
IMPRESSION

America - Trucks, huge Cadillacs
Germany - High quality, powerful sedans
Japan - Cheap, reliable fast cars
UK - Heritage, Awesome brand power, $0 in the piggy bank manufacturers
Italy - Supercars

Italy, no country comes close.

Falcon500
05-29-2008, 12:55 AM
IMPRESSION

America - Trucks, huge Cadillacs
Germany - High quality, powerful sedans
Japan - Cheap, reliable fast cars
UK - Heritage, Awesome brand power, $0 in the piggy bank manufacturers
Italy - Supercars

Italy, no country comes close.

When i think italy i think alfas and fiats especially the first fiat500.....so plenty of broken down cars and squashed adults and risking life and auto to get a parking space......

Pilot
05-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Italy, of course. Maranello, Santagatha Bolognese... What can be more?...

E280-24
05-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Italy - Pagani Zonda.
England - Mclaren f1.
Germany - Lotec Sirius.
france - Bugatti EB110.
America - Saleen S7.

P4g4nite
05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
My vote goes for the Carrera GT. The fantastic engine sound, impeccable build (so I'm told), the difficulty of driving as an ordinary vehicle and general impracticality (so I'm told), Race car links and allusions....oh and of course the standard performance you expect.

Italy - Pagani Zonda.
England - Mclaren f1.
Germany - Lotec Sirius.
france - Bugatti EB110.
America - Saleen S7.
I hate to nark on someone's choices but 1) I'm pretty sure that the EB110 was made by Italians in Italy and 2) the Lotec Sirius never made it past prototype.

Ingolstadt
05-30-2008, 12:23 AM
When i think italy i think alfas and fiats especially the first fiat500.....so plenty of broken down cars and squashed adults and risking life and auto to get a parking space......

I can only answer you that you don't really think that well. :p

So which country stands at the top for Supercars for you?

E280-24
05-30-2008, 04:19 AM
My vote goes for the Carrera GT. The fantastic engine sound, impeccable build (so I'm told), the difficulty of driving as an ordinary vehicle and general impracticality (so I'm told), Race car links and allusions....oh and of course the standard performance you expect.

I hate to nark on someone's choices but 1) I'm pretty sure that the EB110 was made by Italians in Italy and 2) the Lotec Sirius never made it past prototype.

1. Sure or pretty sure?
2. Well then the Porsche GT get my wote for Germany,the SLR are produced in England,right?

E280-24
05-30-2008, 04:20 AM
The first real supercar by my opinion is the Lamborghini Miura :)

Wouter Melissen
05-30-2008, 04:26 AM

Ettore Bugatti was also an Italian. There cars built in Romania by Romanians, does that make them Romanian cars (Audi TT)?

Falcon500
05-30-2008, 04:53 AM
I can only answer you that you don't really think that well. :p

So which country stands at the top for Supercars for you?

My father was always a fan of american cars so i like them not classy and often odd looking but they done well in their time. Their still not my fave (although my faveorite car is the ford gt40 but no chance at owning one 1mil with not racing history)

English ones arent reliable enough and have really iffy looks.

Italian ones again reliability and are fine automobiles but expensive in every way and older ones use ALOT of oil.

So that narrows it down to ze german marques reliable,good looks, plenty fast enough and have one of the most enduring and progressive car makers in the world today porsche.

Ferrer
05-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Ettore Bugatti was also an Italian. There cars built in Romania by Romanians, does that make them Romanian cars (Audi TT)?
But Automobili Bugatti SpA was an italian company which made their cars in Italy, so I guess the EB110 could be considered an italian supercar.

Ingolstadt
05-31-2008, 03:15 AM
Without doubt, Porsche is an established supercar manufacturer, same goes Mclaren, Koeniggsegg, yeah surely Porsche has the longevity, heritage to claim, but these are also in the same league as Porsches. But if you're saying which country is most significant in making supercars, Italy's still the one.

ccj457
06-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Germany: Benz CLK-GTR, Porsche carrera GT
Italy: Lamborghini Countach, Diablo and Reventon, Ferrari F40 and Enzo, Pagain Zonda, Maserati MC-12.Cizeta Moroder.

DirtLuck
06-27-2008, 09:44 PM
I think Italy for the Ferraris...yes the lambos have lots of power but the Ferrari combines speed with an elegant design that has a much better appeal. The lambo is only about power the design doesn't take your breath away like the style of a Ferrari.

digitalcraft
06-30-2008, 01:18 PM
U.S. currently has both the highest top speed car(Ultimate Aero TT) and the fastest production car lap at Nur(Corvette ZR1). :p

America! F*** yeah!

As far as just overall good at the supercar thing though, I'd have to go with Italy of course.

izikog
07-02-2008, 02:58 AM
Italy - Pagani Zonda

nota
07-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Any votes for the Mercer Raceabout? (USA 1910-15)

Wouter Melissen
07-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Any votes for the Mercer Raceabout? (USA 1910-15)

I just completed an article on that, so you expect it on the main page soon. It's an absolutely fantastic machine.