PDA

View Full Version : Audi R10 news

Zytek_Fan
10-19-2005, 09:02 PM
File this under spurious rumor for now (though note where you heard it!). But it is with enough detail and from a reliable source that I felt justified in publishing it as there is a large information void regarding the subject of the new Audi LMP car. Word is that the car will be diesel V12 powered. It is no secret that Audi is coming back with a new car that will be diesel powered. But up until now all talk had centered around a V10 turbo diesel. My source, who knows better than I, indicates that a move to a V12, "reveals that they are after the maximum allowed volume and/or the highest possible revs in the diesel." Simplified, diesels generate power by increasing boost pressure or throwing more fuel into the cylinder. Both of these methods increase the likelihood that the head will separate from the block and aren't necessarily conducive to endurance racing reliability. A V12 will allow for more revs which, while not eliminating reliability issues, moves the stress on the engine from the head bolts to elsewhere (the cylinder heads will be under enough stress as it is!).

And while we're at it, why diesels anyway? Again, simplified, with the regulations pegging engine power to around 650 via the engine inlet restrictor, few gains (if any can) be found in trying to increase absolute horsepower; the inlet restrictor is very effective and works by simply limiting the amount of air that can be brought into the engine and therefore the absolute power. So engine performance gains are found by improving engine drivability, fuel efficiency, and torque, all the areas low in the rev. range where the inlet restrictor can't effect. This is one of the reasons Audi introduced the FSI engine (direct injection) as it showed gains in drivability and fuel efficiency. While a racing diesel engine does have its challenges and compromises (weight and a premium on intercooling efficiency which potentially effects aerodynamics), the benefits are massive amounts of torque (750+ lb-ft vs. 500) and increased fuel economy. It is predicted that with a similar fuel tank size (to a gasoline powered LMP1 engine), a diesel will be able to run 2-4 laps longer at Le Mans. So the performance gains are worth any engineering headaches.

10-19-2005, 11:52 PM
if thats true, im gonna want one!

henk4
10-20-2005, 12:22 AM
at least it is an area of technology where American participation is going to be very unlikely.

Cadillac Imaj
10-20-2005, 12:38 AM
I think this is a repost.
Zytek Fan, I remember you posting in the original topic.
Anyway, I could be wrong about the repost.

RacingManiac
10-20-2005, 07:02 AM
I somehow vaguely remember that the immediate successor to R8 will NOT be diesel but the diesel engine will be introduced at somepoint...

Cadillac Imaj
10-20-2005, 07:13 AM
I think it will be.

Wouter Melissen
10-20-2005, 07:36 AM
I think this is a repost.
Zytek Fan, I remember you posting in the original topic.
Anyway, I could be wrong about the repost.

I think it will be.

Usually adding a post is aimed at contributing. Looking at your posts you are only here to boost your post count. This is NEWS, so it can't be a repost.

Zytek_Fan
10-20-2005, 01:14 PM
There probably will be two versions of the R10;the diesel and the R8 V8