PDA

View Full Version : Should Ford bring Mustang to Oz?

adrenaline
10-20-2005, 06:33 AM
Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on it....the mustang sells heaps in the US and Ford dont have a coupe here...i reckon theyd sell tonnes here..

Cotterik
10-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Nobody would buy it, not enough people are interested in it over here so why would they be in australia. Most cars considered worth-buying in europe and the US arent in australia.

Mustang
10-20-2005, 10:09 AM
if they were still like the 67 then yes but not now there too fat and ... just not as good

SlickHolden
10-20-2005, 10:32 AM
WE had them not long ago maybe 2001? Anyway the price to change them to RHD was a mint, In the end i think they had to sell it about $80,000 They couldnt sell it at that price no way. It's the same with Holden the vette is to expensive they have there own cars that are just as good but cheaper so Ford Oz won't do it again.

nota
10-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Like most product ex-US they don't bother to build the new Mustang in R/H/D do they? So that automatically makes this car irrelevant to Oz

Like Slick writes, the last gen Cobra was sold here by Ford Aust who almost had to remanufacture it to bring it up to local standards and make it saleable. It was supposed to be a foil against the upcoming Monaro. Tickford even made a few unique Cobra RA-spec homologation versions. But due to the costs involved the Mustang flopped big-time downunder and examples lurked around unsold for years

A tad jingoistsic :rolleyes: but this Mustang review from Motor magazine is hardly flattering is it?

rev440
10-20-2005, 04:18 PM
The 05 mustang is a hefty car i think they weigh in at 3800. But the 99-04 style mustang is a sweet car and i mean for 25k can u really go wrong. But i can see where you guys coming from if you have to pay 80k for one.

TVR IS KING
10-20-2005, 05:27 PM
i dont think it should come here. sure, we have had mustangs in the past, but i dont think they sold THAT well, AND now ford has FPV. wernt they originally sent here to give ford a flagship car when tickford flopped?
i dont like the retro styling anyway. not much at all.

SlickHolden
10-20-2005, 10:44 PM
A think a Base Vette would be around $90,000+ here. So who is going to pay that out? 1 in 50,000 people maybe if lucky?.

On Drive.com.au i found a 2003 Mustang Convt for $68,000
To be honest they are very low tech even more so then the VZ's rear.
So in that case i guess they cant justify selling them that high in price.

There are 2 Mustangs here right now 2 2005 models check out the prices.
Here........ http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!goauto_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2541888&current_rec=3&total_rec=5&sort_type=1&make_id=6&model_id=198&state_id=-1&search_distance=25

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!goauto_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2541837&current_rec=4&total_rec=5&sort_type=1&make_id=6&model_id=198&state_id=-1&search_distance=25 (http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!goauto_content.dealer_vehicle?vehicle_id=2541837&current_rec=4&total_rec=5&sort_type=1&make_id=6&model_id=198&state_id=-1&search_distance=25)

adrenaline
10-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Holly SHIT!!

Thats like....Expensive!!....WTF!!

fpv_gtho
10-21-2005, 02:01 AM
i dont think it should come here. sure, we have had mustangs in the past, but i dont think they sold THAT well, AND now ford has FPV. wernt they originally sent here to give ford a flagship car when tickford flopped?
i dont like the retro styling anyway. not much at all.

Tickford didnt flop, they were bought by Prodrive, who then made FPV with Ford Australia.

The current Mustangs are the wrong sorts of cars for the local market. Theyre only saving grace is that the US can make cars cheaper than us, but even then theyre overly expensive compared to the Falcon and Commodore. Ever looked into how much private importers are charging for late model Mustangs? Ive seen people asking $60K for '99 models, and almost $100K for '04 GT's, let alone the Cobras that Tickford converted over.

danno
10-21-2005, 06:09 AM
yeah it would be expensive here probably, but if they didnt make it too much they would sell.

SlickHolden
10-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Best is for Aussies to go over and bring one back and convert it in there garage like my uncle did with a camaro. Took him so bloody long i was thinking he would never get it done. Then the DH sold it 2 weeks later:eek:.WTF!

fpv_gtho
10-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Perhaps. The big issue with Ford trying to do it is having it at an acceptable quality level, then passing ADR's. One major issue they ran into before was they couldnt reconfigure the headlights highbeams to point towards the road, as opposed to away from the road, so they added an extra set of lights into the bumper assembly to act as highbeams

KELSA
10-25-2005, 02:48 AM
the problem is in Australia, we have more 4 doors than 2 doors where in USA and Europe its different. 2 Doors are more of a personal car, while here down under, the culture is still big 4 door v8. something a 2 door can never surpass.

take the monaro for example, they had confirmation from GM USA that they will use the monaro as a base car for GTO that's why they built it (yes not the other way around), or else it will remain as a prototype for the rest of its life.

as far as mustang goes, if they start mass importing, it'll hurt local V8 market especially for ford; like right now its not too bad, individual importors are doing the conversions themselves for a very hefty price. but what ford Australia need is a hero image 2/4 door car.

10-25-2005, 02:54 AM
the big question is could the Mustang cut it with the Typhoon's and the Holden's?

clutch-monkey
10-25-2005, 02:57 AM
the big question is could the Mustang cut it with the Typhoon's and the Holden's?
not at the current price.
if it was cheaper (like it is in america) then probably.

Ride 440
10-25-2005, 04:01 AM
hey fellas

Mustang Motorsport Australia (http://www.mustangmotorsport.com.au/) are actually bringing new RHD 'Stangs to Oz at the moment, and as Slick's link showed, they're not exactly a bargain...

the site says that they are also offering Saeleens, which would be totally uber
link to site above

SlickHolden
10-25-2005, 07:03 AM
If it's priced around $70,000 No back when it first came here and tickford did some good work on it they made it better then it was in N/A.
If i could only find the book it was in they ran it againts a VX HSV R8, It did allright but was still beat, Now today i dont think it could match a VZ SS or BA XR8. It wouldnt even be on the same page as the Typhoon not many are to be honest:).

Blue Supra
10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Keep it where ancient suspension setups are normal... live rear axle... WTF the Datsun 1600 has more advanced suspension then the 05 mustang!

SlickHolden
10-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Keep it where ancient suspension setups are normal... live rear axle... WTF the Datsun 1600 has more advanced suspension then the 05 mustang!
Even the kingswoods:p I herd the FJ was more modern:p.

With live rear if they cant keep it cheap then it's a waste of time.

whiteballz
10-26-2005, 11:49 PM
ford OZ is ford OZ, the mustang doesn't belong. we like our cars with 4 doors.

what is the difference performance wise? GT vs falcon GT?

nota
10-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Even the kingswoods:p I herd the FJ was more modern:p.

With live rear if they cant keep it cheap then it's a waste of time.
That sums it up very well

Unlike current Mustang (and Commodore) at least those old FX/FJs and Kingos featured a proper double wishbone front end

SlickHolden
10-27-2005, 12:06 AM
ford OZ is ford OZ, the mustang doesn't belong. we like our cars with 4 doors.

what is the difference performance wise? GT vs falcon GT?
Isnt it the same car? Or is that old GT with current GT?

2ndclasscitizen
10-27-2005, 01:58 AM
its actually an S-type chassis, nice and modern, which Ford then completely cripples with a crappy axle

whiteballz
10-27-2005, 01:59 AM
Isnt it the same car? Or is that old GT with current GT?

i meant to type mustang GT VS falc

Spastik_Roach
10-27-2005, 02:03 AM
If they were as dirt cheap as they are in America yes. But once they're over around here they're too damned exspensive to consider.

SlickHolden
10-27-2005, 02:15 AM
i meant to type mustang GT VS falc
Ohhh. i think the engine is a 4.6lt Supercharged engine maybe?
Might clock low 5's and low 13's 1/4.
ut as corners came up i think the Stang would go straight and the Falc would turn into corners:D

chevronracer
11-23-2005, 07:25 PM
a guy i know told me the other day he used to have an HT monaro
but what he told me next horrified me, "it went rusty so i took out the running gear and dumped the body"

i couldnt believe it, to make matters worse he told it was a bathurst 350 monaro.

what i want to know is if the running gear he has sitting in the garage is the original parts out of a 350 monaro.

parts are 1 x 350 chev engine
1 x two speed auto
1 x chev 12 bolt diff

are these what they came out with and if so is the diff likely to limited slip??

any feedback would be great

cheers:

Esperante
11-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Don't SPAM.

You've made two posts, of which are exactly alike and completely out of place.

SupraMan22
11-23-2005, 09:13 PM
I don't see why not. Then agian i know nothing about Australians. But as many others have said. It could very well hurt them then help them.

Peter PaP
11-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Im pretty sure the Mustang has been imported into Australia for a couple of years now, the only reason it was imported here was because Ford had nothing else. Now they have thier "FPV" range they wont be comming here anymore. Something to do with money and the plant that they were converting them is now used for the FPV range. I read this in the Cars Guide.

fpv_gtho
12-02-2005, 03:17 AM
The part about the plant's right, the space previously occupied by the RHD assembly line is now used for assembling the DOHC V8's. 2001 when they were actually importing them, i can well imagine Ford were between projects, having just dumped the AU Coupe idea in favour of further investment into the BA and Territory.