PDA

View Full Version : "Silent" Assasin - (AC Propulsion Tzero)

Egg Nog
02-14-2004, 09:00 PM
I just thought I'd share this amazing car with you guys :) The AC Propulsion Tzero*

Amazing thing #1: Efficiency. Measured in a comparison using British Thermal Units, the TZero manages 2,032 BTU per mile, as compared to the Honda Insight at 2,050BTU/mile, and the Ferrari 550 Maranello at 13,350BTU/mile.

Amazing thing #2: Range. As you probably all realise, this is the one thing that most electric cars struggle with. However, (this is from their web site):

Wednesday, August 27th, the Li-Ion tzero was driven for the first time. The 90-mile test drive included climbing to the top of Mt. Baldy road, a 40-mile loop including a climb to 6000+ feet elevation, and a 35-mile highway loop at 70-75 mph. At the end of the test drive less than 1/3 of the measured battery capacity had been used. During the test drive, the tzero battery exhibited excellent voltage uniformity, excellent temperature distribution and control, and high discharge rate capability. The Mt. Baldy trip gave the highest regenerative energy recapture ratio that we have ever observed, demonstrating the high cycle-efficiency of the cells.

Amazing thing #3: Performance. You might be laughing at the comparison above between it and the 550 Maranello, but you wouldn't be laughing if you were the Ferrari Driver :)

How does a consistent 0-60 in 4.1 sound to you? ;)

200hp from 6000 to 10,000rpm, and 183 lbs-ft of Torque from 0 to 5000rpm. Sounds pretty amazing to me.

A couple of movie clips:

Tzero at the drag strip (http://www.acpropulsion.com/ACP_movies/tzero_drag_strip.mov)
Tzeo accelerating hard (sounds really cool!) (http://www.acpropulsion.com/ACP_movies/Considine.mov)

*In advance, to anyone who says they don't like this car because they don't appreciate its asthetics: You fail, utterly. Cope.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-14-2004, 10:55 PM
:confused: wow!this is a very very wicked car, i don't think it looks all that great but it is not ugly. do you have the top speed or 1/4 mile times? if i could sum this car up in one word it would be 'bitchin'

Egg Nog
02-14-2004, 11:02 PM
The quarter mile time is 13.2 at 90mph.

Not bad, considering that the top speed is 90mph. We all have to keep in mind that it doesn't have gears. Nearly 150km/h is pretty amazing for an electric car.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-15-2004, 10:58 AM
The quarter mile time is 13.2 at 90mph.

Not bad, considering that the top speed is 90mph. We all have to keep in mind that it doesn't have gears. Nearly 150km/h is pretty amazing for an electric car.
low top speed but it has the 0-60 performance of a 2001 Z06, a little slower on the 1/4 mile though.

Doza
02-15-2004, 01:14 PM
*In advance, to anyone who says they don't like this car because they don't appreciate its asthetics: You fail, utterly. Cope.
This is a decent looking car for an electric. Looks kind of like some sort of concept Saturn Ion.

Misho
02-17-2004, 09:49 AM
top speed of 90mph ?? i guess then the 0-60 mph acceleration test is also a form of top speed testing ?!! i guess the ferrari driver would be laughing now !! :)
honestly this is a great car. i do have a question however. we all know that recheargable batteries used for mobile phones, laptops and the like, all lose performance with use. u buy the cell phone and u charge it once every 3 days, a year later u gotta charge it every night at least. has anyone heard of such problems with electric cars ?? battery reliability is an essential factor if electric cars are ever to be practical.

Matra et Alpine
02-17-2004, 10:06 AM
has anyone heard of such problems with electric cars ?? battery reliability is an essential factor if electric cars are ever to be practical.
Nope, because electric cars don't use chemical paste batteries.
It is the biggest area of research on electric vehicles and has been going on for over a hundred years :)
So you get about 3 years out of the current best-in-class.
But it's then avout half the price of the car to replace them !!! :(
We're still looking at a difficult technoology and the hope if for advanced fuel cell technology to make electricity from a chemical reaction rather than a stored potential ( still a checmical reaction I know ! )

Homem de Gelo
02-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Eletric cares will rock the world in about a decade. Imagine what they'll do by then! :o

crisis
02-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Eletric cares will rock the world in about a decade. Imagine what they'll do by then! :o
We're getting closer but people have been making those statements for a long time. The most effective electric motors are still those charged or powered by diesel engines.