PDA

View Full Version : British car identification, expert help required

Coventrysucks
10-21-2005, 02:03 PM
I need some people to throw some names/ pictures of obscure British low volume mid-engined sports cars at me, since I am thinking of something but can't remember what the hell it is and who makes it.

Noble sized, but quite rounded bodywork, a bit like the Ascari KZ1.

Looks quite good, with a nifty interior, probably about the £50,000 or less mark.

Very, very, very low production were talking here, possibly not even in production yet, but I am fairly sure it has been around for a while.

Regards,
CS

Matra et Alpine
10-21-2005, 02:10 PM
GTM Libra ?? :D

Matra et Alpine
10-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Can you give more details that might help differnentiate ? How about lights, seats ??

Egg Nog
10-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Minotaur Mk2?

VtecMini
10-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Banham x21?

*hides*

dydzi
10-21-2005, 02:45 PM
too bad there are so many british low-volume cars
i can think of those ones (exept from the minotaur)
spectre r42, 45
pell genesis
candy apple finale
delfino feroce
quaife r4 gts
ginetta g35 has very similar headlights
or maybe claydon supersport? :p

Matra et Alpine
10-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Phantom Vortex ? and all the ones dydzi listed and ther eare LOTS LOTS more, we need better guidance :D

Coventrysucks
10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Phantom Vortex - that's the one!

It wasn't what I thought it was.

I know there are a lot of them, I was having difficulty wading through them all trying to find it!

I didn't want to be too specific in case I wasn't remembering it correctly, and giving people disinformation.

Anyway;- the plot thickens!

P.S. Wouldn't it be nice if they'd updated their website in the last 4 years?

Matra et Alpine
10-21-2005, 05:12 PM
I know there are a lot of them, I was having difficulty wading through them all trying to find it!
So was I :)
Coudlnt' face posting hundreds of pics. Lucky guess grabbing this one. Mainly coz dydzi had named some of my first choices :D

Tourbillon
10-22-2005, 03:08 AM
P.S. Wouldn't it be nice if they'd updated their website in the last 4 years?

WHAT? They haven't touched their site in 4 years?

But then again, the cars are great. So I guess that compensates for the site.

gregvl52
10-22-2005, 08:18 AM
How do all of these low-volume British sports cars compare to each other, price and performance wise? Am I right in assuming that Noble is the best, because it seems to get the most press?

Matra et Alpine
10-22-2005, 08:42 AM
How do all of these low-volume British sports cars compare to each other, price and performance wise? Am I right in assuming that Noble is the best, because it seems to get the most press?
only the best at attracting the kind of PR that gets covered in the press you get to read.

The Ultima is the best for outright performance. The Atom is the best for outright fun AND performance. The Caterham/Westfield/Stryker et al are the best for feel, directional control and fun. The Noble is best for having a good overall package close to mass production quality and fewer drawbacks. The Deronda is best for 2 up track fun. The Lotus is best at being a Lotus :D The TVR is best for the sound and the feel. The xxxxxx ... hope you get the idea by now, there are many many more !!!!!

We're REALLY spoiled for choice in the UK and I love it :D

MrKipling
10-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Just wanted to add something small. I've drive a few different types of Lotus 7s and the best, by a mile, is the Caterham. Apparently it has something to do with the rear suspension set-up & geometry they use - either way, it works really well. It's much more forgiving than the other two, quicker and better built as well.

I still like the Ultima though - see video on this page:

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/record.html

Matra et Alpine
10-23-2005, 05:10 AM
MrK, try a Sylva Strker. The front suspension setup is way better than the C imho until recently when C has now copied it's layout. Not had the chance to push a new caterham CSR yet, but hopefully soon and will see how it matches.

For road use the front possibly wans't a big issue.

Coventrysucks
01-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Phantom Vortex - that's the one!

Oh No it isn't!

It was in fact a Virago coupe, which just happens to look exactly identical to the Phantom.

Pando
01-18-2006, 04:43 PM
We're REALLY spoiled for choice in the UK and I love it :DI hate it. And it isn't the dislike sort of hate, it's the jealousy type.

h00t_h00t
01-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Its not that awesome, they were all designed by the same man with a piece of tracing paper.

Are cars such as the Phantom Vortex proper production cars that have to pass all the safety and emissions rules or are just "kits" that the company builds to order and then SVAs for you?

Cadillac Imaj
01-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Any pics of a Virago Coupe???
I googled it and an S Class Coupe appeared.

Coventrysucks
01-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Any pics of a Virago Coupe???

Virago coupe, which just happens to look exactly identical to the Phantom.

So... that would be exactly identical to the picture of the Phantom Vortex that Matra posted...

You could have tried the UCP "search" function:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21797&highlight=virago+coupe

www.virago-cars.co.uk would be the "home" site, but it has crap pictures.

6speed
01-19-2006, 07:12 AM
I was gonna say Tommy Kaira ZZS. But whatever.

Suka
07-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh No it isn't!

It was in fact a Virago coupe, which just happens to look exactly identical to the Phantom.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just for complete-ness. The Phantom and the Virago are the same car...

Coventrysucks
07-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, yes, but at the same time no.

From Virago's website:
"An existing custom-build vehicle's design rights were procured..."

I.e. Phantom didn't have the funds ao didn't build their 177bhp Honda-powered kit car version, Virago bought the car and still don't have the funds to build their factory-built 230/280bhp Ford-powered version.

The one I saw was a Virago, not a Phantom, I know that from where it was.

Suka
07-19-2006, 11:56 PM
Yes. If you are interested anymore in it i know a man who is re-building a crash damaged one.
www.ricola.co.uk (http://www.ricola.co.uk/)