PDA

View Full Version : Lancer Evo FQ 400

Zondaboy1
10-23-2005, 07:01 AM
I heard this little review in Mph magazine and it said it was crazy fast but didnt put any numbers and stats down.
i google searched it and that didtn help eiter
could you guys?

Matra et Alpine
10-23-2005, 07:06 AM
probably coz it's full title is MR FQ-400, try that and you'll get loads.

A superb car

Vaigra
10-23-2005, 07:24 AM
truly an amazing car. Having driven the MR FQ-340, this is next on my list...IF I can find one :(

Clique
10-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Great car but doesnt it suffer with turbo lag...
((PS Theres a TVR outside my house))

10-23-2005, 09:15 AM
0-62 faster than a Carrera GT...

Vindesh17
10-23-2005, 09:30 AM
as soon as these become available in Canada Im getting one.

bmwpower
10-23-2005, 10:44 AM
sry but i hate all evo's i know they apparently handel and move like true racers but they look like scrap metal

Vaigra
10-23-2005, 11:10 AM
sry but i hate all evo's i know they apparently handel and move like true racers but they look like scrap metal
the new BMW's look more like scrap metal than the Evolution.

QBridge
10-23-2005, 03:43 PM
What's funny to me is that its putting to shame cars from Porsche and others that cost 4 times as much.

h00t_h00t
10-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Top Gear raced one against some bland estate car from 30mph in 5th gear (I think), the estate was still ahead at the end of the runway, the car has no power when it is off the turbo boost, Porsches don't have to worry about that.

Rockefella
10-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Top Gear raced one against some bland estate car from 30mph in 5th gear (I think), the estate was still ahead at the end of the runway, the car has no power when it is off the turbo boost, Porsches don't have to worry about that.
I'm quite sure the Evo isn't intended to drive at 20-40 mph in fifth gear though. ;)

Forever92
10-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I saw a shipment of them on the freeway the other day. :D

Matra et Alpine
10-23-2005, 03:59 PM
so ? .... Porsches dont' pull from 500 revs.
It was a silly test as you don't drive the car that way.
If the driver WANTS to be a grannie then get a grannies car :D

QBridge
10-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Anybody know when this car is going up for sale or is it already on sale? I don't know anything about it.

Matra et Alpine
10-23-2005, 04:13 PM
It was a special anniversary model with only 100 being built.
I'm presuming they've all gone :D

SPecs and good write-up on test drive by enthusiast at http://www.lancerregister.com/art_fq400report.php and launch info at http://www.lancerregister.com/news_fq400.php

h00t_h00t
10-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I thought it was the WRC homologation car, actually, do they still have to make those?

spi-ti-tout
10-23-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm so sick of this turbo lag thing why don't the n00bs start come to argue now.

And no, they don't have to make homoligation versions, rather it's the opposite today. A WRC car has to be based on a car which has sold 25,000 units worldwide.

MrKipling
10-24-2005, 07:24 AM
That is homologation. Making a certain number of road cars in order for the car to be competition legal. The Italians used to get around it by moving cars around the compound while they distracted the FIA lot.

The point of that top gear test remains though, if you make a mistake and come off boost when you're pressing on, you have to wait for bloody ages for the thing to spool up again. It a question of whether getting that sort of power by those methods is completely ignoring the realistic point of diminishing returns for road use. You'd probably find that the FQ-340 would be quicker than the MR400 in most real-world circumstances.

Matra et Alpine
10-24-2005, 08:38 AM
That is homologation. Making a certain number of road cars in order for the car to be competition legal. The Italians used to get around it by moving cars around the compound while they distracted the FIA lot.
What ?
The homologation inspection procedure checks the chassis numbers and documentation. It is NOT a couple of guys turning up and nonchalantly wandering around while a manufacturer moves chassis around :) Would bu funny if it was though, nice joke :D

The point of that top gear test remains though, if you make a mistake and come off boost when you're pressing on, you have to wait for bloody ages for the thing to spool up again.
IF you are "Pressing on" then you are already changing gears to keep the engine in it's power band. Anyone caught with an EVO that far off boost either missed a gear change or was sleeping :D and who doesnt' react immediately to get back in a lower gear shouldn't be driving :eek:

It a question of whether getting that sort of power by those methods is completely ignoring the realistic point of diminishing returns for road use. You'd probably find that the FQ-340 would be quicker than the MR400 in most real-world circumstances.
The conclusion from guys with 340s was that you were pretty much on the traction limit so more power wasn't a big win. So yep, but it's nothing to do with the intentionally funny item by Top Gear :)

2ndclasscitizen
10-24-2005, 05:17 PM
The conclusion from guys with 340s was that you were pretty much on the traction limit so more power wasn't a big win.
is the 340 fitted with semi-slicks like the 400 or are they still on treaded sport tyres

Matra et Alpine
10-24-2005, 05:19 PM
is the 340 fitted with semi-slicks like the 400 or are they still on treaded sport tyres
He's running road tyres. Semi-slicks aren't legal in the UK.
BUT there are a few tyres that are mouldede tread but very very sticky.
I'll find out, I'm meeting up with him for a blast next Monday.

Zondaboy1
10-24-2005, 06:32 PM
wow....

MrKipling
10-25-2005, 09:23 AM
That really is a true story, back in the 70's and 80's when homologation numbers were in the hundreds rather than tens of thousands FIA officials would come to the factory to check they had all been made. Ferrari would park the ones that had been made in a lot at the front of the building and, while they took the inspectors to see 'the rest', the cars would be moved to where the inspectors were being taken. Hand-on-heart.

As for the boost issue, when you have a turbo that huge, only a tiny mistake can really **** you over at certain speeds. Basically, if it can bugger The Stig, it can bugger you, me or any of the 'more money than driving skill' twats that can actually buy the thing!

johnnyperl
10-25-2005, 10:16 AM
He's running road tyres. Semi-slicks aren't legal in the UK.
BUT there are a few tyres that are mouldede tread but very very sticky.
I'll find out, I'm meeting up with him for a blast next Monday.
not sure where the definition of semi-slick cuts off, but wouldnt one call the Advan A048 a semi-slick? theyre legal (see Lotus).
http://www.e-berg.co.jp/images/c2/s02/yo/tyo031l.jpg
The Fq-400 also has Advans but a different model (not as "slick")

Matra et Alpine
10-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah I run Advans on the Alpine :D

These are properly "legal" because they are moulded.
True slicks ar not legal, even if matching cuts to a moulded tyre. Only moulded treads are road legal - in the UK at least.

It may just be the use of the term "slick" which is very specific adn I was takign the "pure track" definition :) point taken !!

6'bore
10-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Doesn't the M3 CSL run on slicks...

...Are they illegal?

derekthetree
10-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Doesn't the M3 CSL run on slicks...

...Are they illegal?

it runs on michelins that are very sticky road tyres. i think they count as semi slick. they are great in the dry but dangerous in the wet

2ndclasscitizen
10-25-2005, 05:13 PM
http://www.e-berg.co.jp/images/c2/s02/yo/tyo031l.jpg

i see to have created some confusion. These are what i meant by semi slicks, really soft and sticky tyres with grooves to make them slightly legal on the road, like the 05- STi, M3 CSL, EVO 9 TMR, FQ400, Exige, HSV DTS, 996 GT3 RS have

Matra et Alpine
10-25-2005, 05:31 PM
i see to have created some confusion. These are what i meant by semi slicks, really soft and sticky tyres with grooves to make them slightly legal on the road, like the 05- STi, M3 CSL, EVO 9 TMR, FQ400, Exige, HSV DTS, 996 GT3 RS have
no probs, '2', its the terminology that sent me on a wild goose chase.
traditionally "grooves" are cut into a slick.
A moulded tyre has "tread" of whatever shape or limited shapes.
Modern usage seems to suggest that if ther eare few treads then it gets called groove - because back when you cut a tyre then you nevere did put many in or the tyre woudl shred itself on pretty much the first corner !!!!

Nowadays it seems to get used to mean anythign the author at the tme felt with little regard to original usage. I'm the old-fart around so tend to have the origianl usage stuck in there :D

MrKipling
10-26-2005, 05:55 AM
My god! I actually learnt something on a car forum! Cheers Matra.

Sabiego
11-08-2005, 08:21 AM
I love EVO's! :)
I think all of this car are sold.
Next Evo FQ can have many hp, but 400 ? I don't now...

Matra et Alpine
11-08-2005, 08:35 AM
I love EVO's! :)
I think all of this car are sold.
Next Evo FQ can have many hp, but 400 ? I don't now...
"Current" is available with 405 so why worry abotu only 400 :D ???

These guys reckon they can get them ... at http://mitsubishi-evolution.sgpetch.co.uk/pages/new/single/make=mitsubishi/model=evolution/type=2.0_Turbo_VIII_MR_FQ-400_Manual

IWantAnAudiRS6
11-08-2005, 02:24 PM
I've had a ride in one. It's pretty mind-blowing. I got quite a few pictures and some videos! Amazing car.

ForT MinoR
11-08-2005, 06:46 PM
have seen the evo x its awsome but lame front if u ask me

The_Canuck
11-08-2005, 06:48 PM
^ my friend posting hes still learning the forums. :p

cmcpokey
11-08-2005, 07:01 PM
the FQ-400 was available only in the UK. It was a specialty car produced by a specialty firm in England for Mitsu, to celebrate their anniversary in the UK. I could go dig up my old CAR mag where it raced a Zonda, but I'm lazy.