PDA

View Full Version : Cox GTM

UCR
10-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Now i dont know alot about these cars,
I know there based on a mini with an A series engine but i need info and pictures.

Im wondering if Suka or Matra know anything, help would be much appreciated.

My mate has one in his garage you see in bits, and he wants me and my brother to build it.

Matra et Alpine
10-25-2005, 11:58 AM
what do you need to know.

Mate had one for a year, put in a 1380 adn then a trubo MG lump. It just got faster and faster.

Nice and strong, with a few simple mods VERY easy to work on :D

It's dead easy. GO get started asap !!!!!

Suka
10-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Me and my Dad had one. It was gorgeous. So very nice, mini subframe in the front and a subframe turned round in the back. A member of TeamGTM has one with a Honda VTEC in the back, insane.
The gel coat on it will be poor, if its been sitting there for a while. It drove wonderfully. The only reason we got rid of it was because we could fit it in the garage with the Libra. We sold it to Ian Stent (Peter might recognise the name).

Ferg
10-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Ours wasn't stricly speaking a Cox, but a GTM Cars one. The Cox had 10" wheels which to my mind was improved enormously with the 13" wheel cars of 1981. If it's a kit that hasn't been built then I would steel myself for some SVA mods before you can get it on the road, if it's an old car which has been used I would look carefully at the area where the rear spaceframe joins the steel tub and the tub where the body sits on it just behind the doors. As Suka says there is a cracking Honda (not VTEC) engined one about and as Matra says quite a few Turbo versions. Having said that standard 1275 Metro power is fairly startling although don't expect the acceleration of a featherweight Seven-clone. Red ones fade quite badly, but is there really any other colour for one????:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/coupe.jpg

UCR
10-27-2005, 02:57 AM
Wow thanks lads.
Its a nice looking thing, if its basically a mini there wil be no problem. I dunno whether to buy the cox in bits off my mate or to build it for a fee.

If i was to build it, all done, nice and sparkley... how much do you think i could sell it for? (not sure what engine yet, tho).

Ferg
10-27-2005, 06:39 AM
With an 'A'series.......£2000 tops I would imagine. Having said that I do have a feeling that there is starting to be a market for 'classic' kit-cars. Dutton prices have definately strengthened as people look for 'Seven' alternatives (in my opinion). (Real) Minis have never been so popular and I think there is probably demand for an alternative Mini....

Matra et Alpine
10-27-2005, 06:52 AM
mates last GTM went for just over £1400 and that was with an MG Turbo engine and an interior that was WAY better than most kits.
Some kit cars get sodl for silly money, if you can take your time, make it known aruond the local kit car scene that you're looking you can get them cheap. We've even seen a few shange hands for ZERO jsut to get them out of garages !! Kit car builders are always overly optimistic on how quickly they'll get it built and many lose interest. Usually when moving home or getting a kid is the trigger for them to need to clear the garage space.

Keep your eyes open and you can pick em up for a fraction of their cost !
It took nearly 6 months to find kit for my daughter and the deal was worth the wait :D

UCR
10-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Id probably sell it if i was to restore it, but i dont know if it'll be worth the time and effort, and id robably make hardly any profet.

I might just do it for fun though :)

Ferg
10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Build it and DRIVE IT!!!!!:D :D