PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Kit Cars

adamfraser
10-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, it does say kits though :p

Anyway, i am considering building a kit car, even though i am only 14, nearly 15, i have already started getting the money together.

So i was having a look round, and i had heard about Tiger Cars before. Now, i have been to many shows, and have seen these cars, specifically the Avon Locost (probably the one i will go for), and i do have to say, good build quality! Not too bad for a tad over £4000, not including Tax and various other stuff to help me build it, so lets say £5500.

What i was wondering, is this a good kit for the money, or can you recommend other kits in the same price range? I would be getting a few mates with good experience to help me along with the build, so that isnt a problem. Oh, and what size of engine should i drop in, remembering insurance? I was thinking maybe a 1.4, but they say that the kit is built with the Ford Sierra as a donor car, and could either use a Pinto engine, or a 16v Zetec (probably too much for insurance)

Is this the way to go?

Cheers

EDIT: Oops, forgot the site... www.tigerracing.com

Suka
10-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Don't get a tiger.

adamfraser
10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
And why not.. :p

Suka
10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
The build quality is poor and the price is a bit steep for what it does. I would only get a Tiger if i was buying an ERA. Tiger get there reputation from the Z100WR, and that was built buy Z-Cars. The ones to consider are Luego or MK. They offer the cheapest way to get onto the scene.

adamfraser
10-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Ok, thanks :D

Suka
10-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Anytime.

Matra et Alpine
10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Well the real cheapest is Robin Hood 2B, but dont' go there :)

Every 7-esque kit has advantages/disadvantages. Some affect the build, some the price, some the quality, some the drive, some the space for your ass and legs :)

I'd always advise trygin to at least get a seat in each and TRY to get a ride. Join teh Scottish Kit Car Club adam, www.skcc.co.uk, we meet last monday of every month in Grangemouth Rugby Club, so get this monday cleared :) but there is also a west scotland meetin in Kilmarnock or thereabouts. Come along and see LOTS of kits, everyone will let you have a shot and share the horrors ( and occasional ups ) of the experience of buildign a kit :)

Are you wanting to build from scratch ? there are lots of part-built or compelted kits around. Some you can pick up for pennies :D

WHy going for a 7 ? Have you looked at the others ?

adamfraser
10-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Wow, thanks for the info Matra!

Had a look at the Robin Hood cars, didnt particularly like them. 1. whenever you see the kit, they dont look that good as in build quality, and i also dont like the Chrome on it.

Unfortunately, school takes up my mondays :( but, whenever there is a monday-tuesday holiday(there are more than you think!) i will try to get up there with my mate, who is wanting to help me. I will try and look at more info for West scotland meets, as i am only 15 minutes to Kilmarnock by car, about 30 mins on the train, so can easily get there :D

I would actually prefer not to build from scratch, at least have the engine in the chassis, and wheels/brakes/suspension on, so you can roll it about. Electrics and bodywork i could do myself probably. I dont really know why i went for a 7 style, i suppose they look pretty good, but i like the idea of Suka's libra, as in closed top, it would make me feel more safe, and have more room in it :D

Il just go register to the site!

EDT: ahh, just noticed that it is at 8PM it starts on a monday! Could possibly make it up there for an hour or so, il need to see.