PDA

View Full Version : Video editing

drakkie
10-27-2005, 03:51 AM
I have just downloaded a movie called "Green street hooligans". The quality is rather bad.Is it possible to make it beter quality and if so, which programme does the job ?

cheers,
sjoerd ;)

Matra et Alpine
10-27-2005, 04:01 AM
I'm presuming this is a "rip" of the new movies "Green St" - ps a scary view of British soccer sub-culture :(

If so then it's a new cinema release. So you're in all likelihood watching what is called a "screener". Someone set up a video camera in a theatre and recorded the movie. The quality of these are nearly always cr@p and often you get audience noise and the occasional person walking in front of the camera

The recording doesn't have any details to make "better". EXCEPT the psychological one and that's to watch it in a smaller screen - the brain then does a better job at filling in all that's missing.

Welcome to lesson one on movie theft. They're poor quality 90% of the time, lacking colour and contrast and sound clarity !! Go to the theatre or wait for the DVD release ( or the DVD rip or the Chinese subtitling rip :D )

sorry

drakkie
10-27-2005, 04:07 AM
I'm presuming this is a "rip" of the new movies "Green St" - ps a scary view of British soccer sub-culture :(

If so then it's a new cinema release. So you're in all likelihood watching what is called a "screener". Someone set up a video camera in a theatre and recorded the movie. The quality of these are nearly always cr@p and often you get audience noise and the occasional person walking in front of the camera

The recording doesn't have any details to make "better". EXCEPT the psychological one and that's to watch it in a smaller screen - the brain then does a better job at filling in all that's missing.

Welcome to lesson one on movie theft. They're poor quality 90% of the time, lacking colour and contrast and sound clarity !! Go to the theatre or wait for the DVD release ( or the DVD rip or the Chinese subtitling rip :D )

sorry

it ain't a "theatre" rip. it is just the movie in horrible .divx extension. the sound is quite good, but the movie itself is quite blurred :(

EDIT: i rewatched pieces of it, and it is one theatre rip ....

Matra et Alpine
10-27-2005, 04:21 AM
yep, the hint is that if a movie is available for download the month it releases in the theatre, then' it's 99% certain a screener. Sadly some are not bad and the rest are atrocious. Some of the guys who screen and encode only distribute the good ones. We stopped d/ling screeners long time ago so dont know the current "best".

It's less hassle to go watch it and see it in full colour and sound :D

drakkie
10-27-2005, 04:26 AM
It's less hassle to go watch it and see it in full colour and sound :D

but not cheaper :D we dutch have a reputation of being cheap, so......:)

Roy Visser
10-27-2005, 04:36 AM

thats not what a screener is :rolleyes:
A screener is an advance video or DVD copy of a film sent to critics, awards voters, and other movie industry professionals, including producers and distributors. They are ussually just a tad worse then the normal DVD, but a non movie fan, wont see the difference!

There is no name for what you are referring to, i do often read TC, but dont know what its short of.

Matra et Alpine
10-27-2005, 04:39 AM
but not cheaper :D we dutch have a reputation of being cheap, so......:)
I think the Scots invented it :D

Tha's why I only said it was the hassle.
Watch out for comedies they are just frustrating to watch a screener as you can't hear half the dialogue for the audience laughing. Also the pop-corn eater beside the camera is REALLY annoying.

BUt with downloads they are cheap for sure :) BTW, "a friend" uses pirate bay and bittorrent. But of course it's illegal so we dont' do it, do we :D
PS: Best part of PirateBay are his e-mails to everyeon who threatens him with legal action - y kind of guy ! See http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php anyone know of any on-line Swedish to English translater ? I'd liek to read them all :D

Matra et Alpine
10-27-2005, 04:45 AM
thats not what a screener is :rolleyes:
A screener is an advance video or DVD copy of a film sent to critics, awards voters, and other movie industry professionals, including producers and distributors. They are ussually just a tad worse then the normal DVD, but a non movie fan, wont see the difference!

There is no name for what you are referring to, i do often read TC, but dont know what its short of.
Screeners are shown in theatres to guage audience reaction before release then these are the most common source and hence their usage.
A number of screener masters ( they are film ) are sometimes 'borrowed' and scanned more professionaly but he industry has responded by embedding identifiers into every screener reel produced so they can trace it. You often find bits "missing" on screeners :D

"cam" is the normal term used for mainstream release but are quite often VERY shaky, missing parts etc as they try to avoid being caught !!!

Yeah, my earlier comment should have called them screeners/cams :D

The review releases are VERY closely tracked and arne't usually ripped. Some do show up and can be identified with letters usually overlaid on the image. Not seen one for a couple of years now, so I suspect the studios have taken a few to court and plugged that route. Hard to be a film reviewr if nobody sends you copies :D

LotusLocost
10-27-2005, 03:35 PM
See http://thepiratebay.org/legal.php anyone know of any on-line Swedish to English translater ? I'd liek to read them all :D

LOL.. thats amusing!!!!!!:D
Hehe.. The things in Swedish is very much like the english things..
Exept the one from "Uppsala university".. The guy who was sending the mail to TPB actualy folded his own case in the last mail:p hehe..

2ndclasscitizen
10-27-2005, 07:13 PM
The quality is rather bad.Is it possible to make it beter quality and if so, which programme does the job ?
short answer, no. It's the same as if you resize a digital photo then save it, you can't resize the saved, smaller image back up to its original size, the pixel information isn't there anymore. It's a basic principle of digital imaging