PDA

View Full Version : *Project Pagani Zonda C12

Dino Scuderia
10-28-2005, 02:26 PM
This will be a diecast conversion...yes I said the D-werd...but it's the only game in town for a 1/24 Pagani. The proportions of the body are good and so is the size. The interior is good enough to work with too but the rims are too small, my pics are shown with Corvette C6 rims because they are bigs and littles, always a pain to find rims for these type cars.

I'm looking forward to stripping off the super thick paint and fixing the panel lines. The doors and engine cover will be glued permanently shut. I will find a striking color for it and a nice set of rims.

P3RG4R3C
10-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Looking forward to another great project by Dino. :)

6'bore
10-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Should be good.

Will be exciting to see the updates.

Cotterik
10-28-2005, 03:58 PM
that kit looks realy poor quality

do something good with it.

Dino Scuderia
10-28-2005, 04:03 PM
that kit looks realy poor quality

do something good with it.

It is poor quality even compared to Maisto....but then all diecast are poor quality except for CMC, Exoto, and Auto Art IMO.

Esperante
10-28-2005, 05:56 PM
It is poor quality even compared to Maisto....but then all diecast are poor quality except for CMC, Exoto, and Auto Art IMO.
I think Maisto has reasonable quality. Better than most of the same price. Beanstalk Group has quality in their Ford GT 1:18 that would rival AutoArt-for only $32. :D

I briefly considered doing somthing similar when I saw this car at the local hobby shop, but decided against it because I really had no time to strip off all those globs of paint. What will be your approach?

Dino Scuderia
10-28-2005, 06:11 PM
I think Maisto has reasonable quality. Better than most of the same price. Beanstalk Group has quality in their Ford GT 1:18 that would rival AutoArt-for only $32. :D

I briefly considered doing somthing similar when I saw this car at the local hobby shop, but decided against it because I really had no time to strip off all those globs of paint. What will be your approach?

Since it's metal it's easy, you can use very harsh paint stripper on it without any damage. I buy spray on paint stripper that you can find in most hardware stores, Wal Mart etc. that removes the paint in about 15 minutes. Next I wash it and prime with a metal etching primer, Tamiya makes one but I use an automotive type.

Esperante
10-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Since it's metal it's easy, you can use very harsh paint stripper on it without any damage. I buy spray on paint stripper that you can find in most hardware stores, Wal Mart etc. that removes the paint in about 15 minutes. Next I wash it and prime with a metal etching primer, Tamiya makes one but I use an automotive type.
That doesn't sound bad. I've got a handful of poorly done diecasts that could be in use of some TLC.

carsnut
10-28-2005, 06:42 PM

What about BBR, GMP, and Minichamps? BBR has much higher quality than Autoart;)

carsnut
10-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Dino. Whatever you do, just don't fit the Zonda with Corvette rims

Zondaboy1
10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
exellent

Dino Scuderia
10-28-2005, 07:33 PM
What about BBR, GMP, and Minichamps? BBR has much higher quality than Autoart;)

No BBR doesn't, and Minichamps is close on some of their subjects but mostly they're just one step above Maisto.

carsnut
10-29-2005, 06:43 PM
BBR is very close. The 1:18 BBR Enzo blows the doors off any Autoart model

Dino Scuderia
10-30-2005, 12:39 PM
BBR is very close. The 1:18 BBR Enzo blows the doors off any Autoart model

Not IMO, and I believe that's the only 1/18 offering BBR has made so they aren't really a player in that scale.

Esperante
10-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Jadi released an awesome TVR Tuscan and Sagaris for under $30, too.

carsnut
11-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Not IMO, and I believe that's the only 1/18 offering BBR has made so they aren't really a player in that scale.

Go take a look at the BBR enzo 1:18. But i do have to agree that BBR isn't too competitive. Their 1:43 scale cars are overpriced(ebay, ferraristore, wahtever). Guess i'll go minichamps for 1:43 scale cars. soooooo much sympathy that AUTOart workers get paid less than the people working at the hotwheels factory down the street. Stupid Jimmy Yao. Minichamps dominates 1:43 scale cars. They have a couple of Ferraris, an MSC collection, F1 cars, almost everything.

carsnut
11-01-2005, 04:30 PM
BTW the only good hotwheels models I know of are some of their 1:64 cars(not $1 cars), a couple of 1:43 cars, their f1 cars and the 1:12 corvette. all reasoanbly priced.

I really want the MS F2004 Bahrain edition. Tell me if anyone can find one at a good price(usually $70)

Esperante
11-01-2005, 04:41 PM
BTW the only good hotwheels models I know of are some of their 1:64 cars(not $1 cars), a couple of 1:43 cars, their f1 cars and the 1:12 corvette. all reasoanbly priced.

I really want the MS F2004 Bahrain edition. Tell me if anyone can find one at a good price(usually $70)
I have to praise Hot Wheels somewhat. I just bought their Mustang GT the otherday and did an overhaul of it. If you get over the lack of paint detail and materials, it's not bad. The parts are acurrate and the body is dead on.

carsnut
11-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I have to praise Hot Wheels somewhat. I just bought their Mustang GT the otherday and did an overhaul of it. If you get over the lack of paint detail and materials, it's not bad. The parts are acurrate and the body is dead on.

Thats the mustang. The HW F430 just needs smaller rims(rims are too big, how do you remove them?) and a little more detail. That will do the trick. Any tips on removing the bodies from HW's 1:64 cars?

Esperante
11-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Thats the mustang. The HW F430 just needs smaller rims(rims are too big, how do you remove them?) and a little more detail. That will do the trick. Any tips on removing the bodies from HW's 1:64 cars?
I had done that a while ago. See my thread....
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10201&highlight=mustang+hot+wheels

You have to drill off the little sodered bits to get the car apart. From there it's the chassis, the body, the windscreen(and sometimes headlights, in the same piece) and the interior. Pretty straightforward. From there I just glue it all back together in the holes where the sodered pylons used to be, and then seal it up with some putty.

I think the wheels on the 1:18 Mustang are oversized too. I didn't bother taking them off because there's a simple locking mechanicsm (it's phallic, to give you an idea of its shape) that if you pulled it out, you'd leave the tip in.

carsnut
11-02-2005, 04:48 PM
I c. Aren't the pylons made of metal? Doesn't it wear down the drill bit? Oh well, I tried it and it didn't go right. I'll post a pic of the car and my drill bit.

Edit: is the carrera RS in the background the fujimi superior enthusiast kit?

Coventrysucks
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
Jadi released an awesome TVR Tuscan and Sagaris for under $30, too.

Interestingly the Jadi Sagaris appears to be exactly the same as the Sagaris model offered by Revell, apart from the different colour.

I've got the Tuscan S model, it is quite good, but not great.

The shape and detailing is fairly accurate, just some of the quality is a bit poor; like the fact that the rear spoiler doesn't fit on to the boot properly.

For £20 though I suppose it is good enough.

Esperante
11-02-2005, 06:33 PM
I c. Aren't the pylons made of metal? Doesn't it wear down the drill bit? Oh well, I tried it and it didn't go right. I'll post a pic of the car and my drill bit.

Edit: is the carrera RS in the background the fujimi superior enthusiast kit?
It is. It's the Fujimi kit rebadged as Revell.

On the pylons-you don't have to take out the entire pylons, just the tips so that the chassis can slip off. They're usually fairly soft, so wear down of the drill isn't severe.

CoventrySucks-For the price, you have to admit that Jadi models are pretty good. Not AutoArt good, but still nice.

Coventrysucks
11-02-2005, 06:47 PM
I know they are good for the price, but it is a bit dissapointing that considering the overall high quality of most of the model they couldn't have gone just that little bit further and finished the detailing off properly.

Dino Scuderia
11-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Stripped off the very thick paint which revealed some nice detail but also some nasty mold lines and ill fitting parts. Had to file a lot of metal away at the leading edge of the door to get them flush with the fenders and lower body work. The body will requre a bit of putty to clean up the mold lines, then I will epoxy the doors and engine cover shut and begin work on the panel lines.

Suka
11-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Looking good.

(BTW this is mainly a post so i can subscribe to it :D :rolleyes: )

Zondaboy1
11-06-2005, 12:20 PM
how do you remove the paint. just scratch it off?

Dino Scuderia
11-06-2005, 01:15 PM
how do you remove the paint. just scratch it off?

Since it's metal it's easy, you can use very harsh paint stripper on it without any damage. I buy spray on paint stripper that you can find in most hardware stores, Wal Mart etc. that removes the paint in about 15 minutes.

carsnut
11-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Spray-on Paint stripper, eh??

Dino, do you know any stores like wal mart etc... that sell flocking?

Dino Scuderia
11-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Spray-on Paint stripper, eh??

Dino, do you know any stores like wal mart etc... that sell flocking?

Your best bet is either a Hobby Town or Hobby Lobby store.

carsnut
11-06-2005, 10:40 PM
oh. I meant easy-to-find stores like Wal Mart or Big Lots or something. is Hobby Lobby the name of a store? Meant stores with Franchises.

Forever92
11-06-2005, 10:49 PM
What's Flocking?

carsnut
11-06-2005, 10:53 PM
something used to simulate interior carpeting

Esperante
11-07-2005, 08:20 AM
What's Flocking?
Flocking is tiny bits of fluff. You sift it onto a car's interior (with glue) to make the car look carpeted. Flocking is sometimes used on Christmas wreaths. ;)

Suka
11-07-2005, 09:11 AM
Flocking is tiny bits of fluff. You sift it onto a car's interior (with glue) to make the car look carpeted. Flocking is sometimes used on Christmas wreaths. ;)
There is a bit more to it than that. You have to run an electric charge through it to get the hairs (not fluff) to stand on end when they are fired at the object.

Esperante
11-07-2005, 03:34 PM
There is a bit more to it than that. You have to run an electric charge through it to get the hairs (not fluff) to stand on end when they are fired at the object.
If you'd like to get technical. ;)

Suka
11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
If you'd like to get technical. ;)
He he he. My friend has just brought a flocking machine so...
Yes i would... lol

carsnut
11-07-2005, 03:53 PM
oh. I meant easy-to-find stores like Wal Mart or Big Lots or something. is Hobby Lobby the name of a store? Meant stores with Franchises.

Can anyone answer my question about flocking??

Esperante
11-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Can anyone answer my question about flocking??
Hobby Lobby is a franchised store.

Suka-In modelling with flocking polarizing isn't necessary. ;)

carsnut
11-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Any other places to buy flocking(for example, an easy-to-find franchise)?

Suka
11-09-2005, 12:48 AM

Well thats just lazy! lol

carsnut
11-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Any other places to buy flocking(for example, an easy-to-find franchise)?

answer anyone?

netburner
12-17-2005, 11:03 AM
How long will the Pagani Project take place until it is finished?

Dino Scuderia
12-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Will finish it in January or Feb '06...more progress pics soon.

carsnut
12-18-2005, 02:18 PM
seeing in the pics that you stripped the paint off the entire body, How will you put on the Pagani logos?

Dino Scuderia
12-18-2005, 02:20 PM
seeing in the pics that you stripped the paint off the entire body, How will you put on the Pagani logos?

It won't have any.

henk4
12-18-2005, 02:23 PM
It won't have any.

can you make your own decals, say if you have a proper digital pic of the badge?

carsnut
12-18-2005, 02:23 PM
o. then how did you do on you Z4 rebuild? (one of your older projects, I wanna learn how to do the same thing, a totourial would be nice)

Dino Scuderia
12-19-2005, 04:55 PM
I could make decals with a laser printer and blank decal paper...but I'm not for this car.

On the Z4 roadster I reused the emblems that were on it, they happened to peel off nicely.

There is a company(Carpena) that makes sheets of 1/24 scale emblems for British, German and Italian cars that come in very handy at times...though the sheets are hard to find for me, maybe easier in Europe.

netburner
12-20-2005, 02:22 AM
I could make decals with a laser printer and blank decal paper...but I'm not for this car.

On the Z4 roadster I reused the emblems that were on it, they happened to peel off nicely.

There is a company(Carpena) that makes sheets of 1/24 scale emblems for British, German and Italian cars that come in very handy at times...though the sheets are hard to find for me, maybe easier in Europe.

If you want those and you find them in Europe tell me, maybe its easier for me to get them and send them to you as if you try to get them to the US.

henk4
12-20-2005, 02:25 AM
If you want those and you find them in Europe tell me, maybe its easier for me to get them and send them to you as if you try to get them to the US.

Carpena is in Portugal so we could send McReis on the hunt..:)

http://www.decalco.com/intro_i.htm

carsnut
12-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Cool. I never knew that Tampos could come off. Just was wondering how to get them off, say, a maisto Porsche Carrera GT

Dino Scuderia
12-20-2005, 10:41 AM
I wasn't reffering to tampos, only decals, tampos you have to desolve off just like paint and aren't reusable.

carsnut
12-20-2005, 11:00 AM
I wasn't reffering to tampos, only decals, tampos you have to desolve off just like paint and aren't reusable.

which kit was the Z4? is there a way to paint parts around the tampo(like the area around a porsche emblem) without the need to dissolve the tampo?

Dino Scuderia
12-20-2005, 12:43 PM
which kit was the Z4? is there a way to paint parts around the tampo(like the area around a porsche emblem) without the need to dissolve the tampo?

I wouldn't try masking around it, it's going to end up looking worse than it would without an emblem, so here you take the lesser of two evils.

The first Z4 I did was Maisto as mentioned above. It had foil decals which could be peeled off and reused, the Motor Max are tampo'd on so they're trash.

carsnut
12-20-2005, 04:51 PM
o. for black I'd say just go around the emblem with a fine sharpie to cover up the area enough so theres no risk of the paint touching the logo

Dino Scuderia
12-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Here's the body with doors and engine cover epoxied shut and first round of putty to tighten the panel lines.

carsnut
12-21-2005, 04:13 PM
whats the point of getting rid of the engine and doors? the "dogleg" hinges?

Dino Scuderia
12-21-2005, 05:22 PM
whats the point of getting rid of the engine and doors? the "dogleg" hinges?

The engine bay sucked and I hate opening doors on models.

carsnut
12-21-2005, 10:33 PM
The engine bay sucked and I hate opening doors on models.

lol why? Is that why you freakin buy a near $100 resin kit of a Panoz GTR-1 in 1/24????????????, when the AUTOart is even cheaper that a freakin resin kit?;) Whatever, nowadays manufactures are starting to stop it with the dogleg hinges and make more realistic hinges. My MM Calsonic Skyline was cheapter than the Tamiya kit and has AUTOart hinges for the doors

Dino Scuderia
12-22-2005, 05:42 AM
The hinges aren't as bad as the unrealistically wide door gap that's there when the doors are closed. Some diecast are better than others but none of them look as good as a well built 1/24 model.

carsnut
12-24-2005, 09:58 PM
so whats up with diecasts' carbon fibre patterns. they're usually just molded patterns that you can feel

Dino Scuderia
12-27-2005, 06:24 AM
so whats up with diecasts' carbon fibre patterns. they're usually just molded patterns that you can feel

Because it's the cheapest way to make the carbon look, once the mold is made with the patttern already there they acheive the look without an extra labor step of applying a decal or something. It's all about bang for the buck.

carsnut
12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
isn't all that bad. easy to paint like on my 1/18 Porsche Carrera GT. The pattern was correrctly molded but was too silver. A little paint and it looks almost like the real thing

Zondaboy1
02-22-2006, 03:03 PM
lets see some more progress photos dino