PDA

View Full Version : Broken Bones

Viper007
10-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Hey guys, I was playing football at the park the otherday and got tackled and my ankle went inwards. I went to the E.R. where they told me it was broken, but could not put a real cast on because it was so swollen (if you have a picture phone i can send you the picture of my ankle). Anyway after two days I went to the orthopedic doctor, he told me i had broken my ankle in two places, ruptured a ligament, and displaced my fibula and it would require surgery to fix and they would insert a metal rod and three screws into my ankle. I had surgery thursday and everything went quite well, but now i am in extreme pain. I will be getting a cast in two weeks after they take out the stitches and make sure the metal rod is okay. After getting out of the cast I will be in a air cast, and then in late January I should begin rehab. The worst part is that I cannot play lacrosse this year my senior year, and there was a possibility I would have received a partial scholarship. That is why I have not posted in a while. Well anyway, anyone else ever had a similar experience and how did you deal with watching your year fall away.

6'bore
10-28-2005, 05:25 PM
I know a guy who got run over and most of his leg was squashed, missed a whole year of school and had to drop back a year. Still hasn't returned to school properly yet and the doctors have said it will be another few months until it is fully healed. This was a serious job though.

Soctors said that if he wasn't so muscly he would have died.

CdocZ
10-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Um.....to both of those stories....OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get better man! That sucks :(

my porsche
10-28-2005, 05:55 PM
wait how could you die by getting your foot run over?

sucks dude, you know you can send the picture to your email address (just choose send then type in your email) and post it here ;)

Coventrysucks
10-28-2005, 06:08 PM
wait how could you die by getting your foot run over?

got run over and most of his leg was squashed,

RTFA.

Nothing broken, touch wood.

my porsche
10-28-2005, 06:26 PM
RTFA? read the ****ing....um...article?

Zondaboy1
10-28-2005, 07:06 PM
oooww

baddabang
10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
I played lacrosse up to my junior year, then my knee blew out. The doctors said I should quit before surgery was needed to repair it, I was also hoping for a scholarship from a local college. But I played for 6 years and in that time iv broken 8 fingers my wrist and cracked 4 ribs and tore the cartilage on the lower right side of my rib cage, that made breathing fun. Good luck with your recovery, Get well soon.

Forever92
10-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Never had anything broken and probably never will at this point... thankfully :knock on wood: I had Arthritis of the foot for X-country once though... wth?

Vindesh17
10-28-2005, 07:14 PM
I never knew lacrosse was that popular in the states.

Sauc3
10-28-2005, 07:45 PM
I wish ya good luck man. 7 months ago I managed to tear my PCL in my knee (Posterior Crucia Ligament) and was unable to walk for 6 of the 7 months...
Only just been able to get back on the bike. In the same time that I've been recovering mates have had broken ankle, wrist and elbow and have all recovered back to their original state while I'm still in physio and having all sorts of trouble recovering properly...
The bones wil heal easily, you gotta hope the same for your ligament.... They're hell.
Again, good luck.

On a minor note I think I just ruptured a vein in my thumb, it may be minor but **** it hurts! Can't use my left hand now either :mad:.

sleekeywoowoo
10-28-2005, 07:49 PM
That will suck if thats your scholarship gone but the reality is that it could very well be. Only thingI've broken other than my ankle(which was only cracked) is my elbow,I shattered it falling 15 feet off a ramp onto a set of stairs,that was like..10 years ago and its still not healed, If I do a push up or lift somethung heavy,I can hear my elbow cracking and grinding,not good.

shr0olvl
10-28-2005, 08:07 PM
I sorta broke my collar bone I think but not really sure. I got in a fight a few weeks ago and the dude ended up punching me in the collar bone. Hurt like hell for about a day and now it just feels/looks like a dent in my collar bone like its cracked or something. So im not sure wtf I did to it.

my porsche
10-28-2005, 08:57 PM
i broke my foot once...

aNOBLEman
10-28-2005, 08:59 PM
In 5th grade i broke my upper left arm at church. I cracked it all the way through and it wasn't very fun. The rehab sucked big time and if I sleep with my arm curled up I trouble straightening it out, and that's been five years ago. There's also still a bump because the bone healed bent and when I lift weights my left arm lags behind my right one.

Good luck with the healing. :)

Bob
10-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Never knew their were so many other lacrosse players here... I've been lucky so far, never broken anything or had any serious injuries.

werty
10-28-2005, 09:08 PM
I've never broken a bone...but one time my right index finger got crushed in between a sprocket and bike chain....basically looked like I hit a nail through my finger....It made me more sick to my stomach then it hurt...actually it really hurt...but you get the idea.:(

r1ckst4
10-28-2005, 09:46 PM
I never break a bone, and i'm glad too.. must be a painful experience eh?
At one time i was practising b-ball, did a lay up and landed on one foot... sideways!!! the pain was excruciating... but i was lucky not to break my ankle. *phew*

get well soon viper:)

my porsche
10-28-2005, 09:48 PM
actually you could have broken it and not noticed, i broke my foot and didnt go to the doctor for 2 weeks, once i realised that maybe i needed some help :p

Matra et Alpine
10-29-2005, 05:31 AM
actually you could have broken it and not noticed, i broke my foot and didnt go to the doctor for 2 weeks, once i realised that maybe i needed some help :p
was severely winded in a maul in Rugby and had pain breathing for weeks, strapped my chest whilst playing, reckoned I'd just badly bruised or maybe tore a muscle.
Many years later after emergency admittance to hospital having buried a car at speed in Armco. Full x-rays, scans and no serious injury ( 'cept brain :) ) and the nice doctor told me the scan showed my 3 broken ribs had healed fine. Did one of those "oh shit" moments realising I'd played Scottish division rugby with floating ribs for last 3 months of that season years earlier :( Made me MUCH more careful about getting things checked professionally - but at the time I didnt' want dropped from the team, The stupidity of youth :D

As an aside, the car "off" had torn muscles in my groin as i braced for the impact. I was still drowsy in Accident&Emergency whilst this blonde young doctor checked me out. She was checking my groin and then smiled and said out loud "Well there's no damage THERE then". I was 18 and testosterone city :D Would have been embarrassing if I wasnt' still on the gas :D

man 430gt
10-29-2005, 05:52 AM
I've never broken a bone...but one time my right index finger got crushed in between a sprocket and bike chain....basically looked like I hit a nail through my finger....It made me more sick to my stomach then it hurt...actually it really hurt...but you get the idea.:(
The same thing happened to me! but i just picked up the bike (with great differculty) and managed to spin the pedal round to get it out. nasty stuff.:D

I once got my right leg deeply cut in a football accident, the scar is now like 4 cm long starting just at the top of my knee:(

man 430gt
10-29-2005, 05:54 AM
As an aside, the car "off" had torn muscles in my groin as i braced for the impact. I was still drowsy in Accident&Emergency whilst this blonde young doctor checked me out. She was checking my groin and then smiled and said out loud "Well there's no damage THERE then". I was 18 and testosterone city :D Would have been embarrassing if I wasnt' still on the gas :D
The HUMALNATI!!!(sp?:o )Omg that has to be the funniest, and quite painfull injury here!!!:D :D :D :D

my porsche
10-29-2005, 06:00 AM
matra wins, did you get her number?

Sauc3
10-29-2005, 06:16 AM
To make you feel better about your injury, here's mine :p.

The scar is at the back of the left knee, 5cm per leg in height, 11cm in total, and 4cm across.

Matra et Alpine
10-29-2005, 06:44 AM
matra wins, did you get her number?
nah, I was too slow, the gas still had me woozy.

And when she checked on me later I was too embarrased :D

my porsche
10-29-2005, 06:50 AM
since when are scots shy?

Matra et Alpine
10-29-2005, 08:35 AM
since when are scots shy?
when they were kids and had a boner in full view of Accident&Emergency staff :D

my porsche
10-29-2005, 10:24 AM
hahahah you left out the boner part! that would account for some shyness yes...i can then conclude it was a very attractive nurse?

Rockefella
10-29-2005, 10:46 AM
I think I've fractured and/or broken a few of my fingers, and partially tore some ligaments/rotator cuff in my shoulders and knees, but I've never been to the doctor about it. Maybe that was a bad thing... but whatever.

6'bore
10-29-2005, 12:06 PM
To make you feel better about your injury, here's mine :p.

The scar is at the back of the left knee, 5cm per leg in height, 11cm in total, and 4cm across.

That really isnt too nice.

RazaBlade
10-29-2005, 02:15 PM
She was checking my groin and then smiled and said out loud "Well there's no damage THERE then". I was 18 and testosterone city :D Would have been embarrassing if I wasnt' still on the gas :D

Ha ha ha!!!! We always hear funny stories from our surgical demonstators about the hilarious episodes in hospital.... I bet yours circulated around the hospital pretty fast!!!

2ndclasscitizen
10-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Broken leg, badly dislocated thumb that required surgery to straighten and almost had to be wired, and i've done something to toe about 6 months ago and now it doesn't bend properly and aches all the time. I had an Xray the other day but they said that there's no definite signs of a previous fracture

deanee
10-31-2005, 01:40 AM
Hey guys, I was playing football at the park the otherday and got tackled and my ankle went inwards. I went to the E.R. where they told me it was broken, but could not put a real cast on because it was so swollen (if you have a picture phone i can send you the picture of my ankle). Anyway after two days I went to the orthopedic doctor, he told me i had broken my ankle in two places, ruptured a ligament, and displaced my fibula and it would require surgery to fix and they would insert a metal rod and three screws into my ankle. I had surgery thursday and everything went quite well, but now i am in extreme pain. I will be getting a cast in two weeks after they take out the stitches and make sure the metal rod is okay. After getting out of the cast I will be in a air cast, and then in late January I should begin rehab. The worst part is that I cannot play lacrosse this year my senior year, and there was a possibility I would have received a partial scholarship. That is why I have not posted in a while. Well anyway, anyone else ever had a similar experience and how did you deal with watching your year fall away.

ooouch...