PDA

View Full Version : Under 35K car

MrVette83
02-17-2004, 07:18 PM
What Car would you purchase for under $35,000? This is the car itself, not buying a car and with the left over money modding.

kko
02-17-2004, 08:17 PM
does it have to be a current car? if not, a camaro

MrVette83
02-17-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm gonna go with current. Mainly because of the huge selection of new under 35k cars on the market today,

Spastik_Roach
02-18-2004, 03:15 AM
Is this 35,000 US Currency? If so, a Infiniti G35 Coupe or a Pontiac Bonneville.

fpv_gtho
02-18-2004, 03:55 AM
XR6 Turbo

240kw
450nm
0-100km/h in 5.9 seconds

Matra et Alpine
02-18-2004, 12:27 PM
For the next couple of months get an extra job or sell the family dog to get up to $40K .....

Then get a real sports car - the Lotus Elise is supposedly going to be $39,995.

:)

Niko_Fx
02-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Get a Subaru WRX STI

300hp 0-60 4.8 secs

Matra et Alpine
02-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Get a Subaru WRX STI

300hp 0-60 4.8 secs
10% slower than a standard Elise :)

NAZCA C2
02-18-2004, 07:20 PM
Subaru STI

sandwich
02-18-2004, 08:02 PM
10% slower than a standard Elise :)

and 10k dollars cheaper....plus it's a hardtop, and I bet a lot more comfortable than an elise. (I see the hardtop being an advantage, clearly it could be taken either way....it improves stiffness and reduces risk of injury, which is big in my book). No doubt the elise is a great car...but the sube and the evo are quite possibly the best for the price....plus with 10k in difference you could mod either to go way past the elise....or throw a huge crasher...or develop a nice coke addiction...just some ideas :D

seriously though...you could get a cobra replicar for 30....maybe even with a 427...that would be a sweet car.....also the rx8 is nice, not my favorite but nice....

Doza
02-18-2004, 09:06 PM
Grand Prix GTP
260hp, 280Ft-lbs of torque.
Looks to match speed :D

crisis
02-18-2004, 11:08 PM
I always preferred the S15 Sylvia over the WRX. I know the WRX has a lot going for it but appearance wise it is not exactly pretty. The Sylvia was pretty quick in standard form and nice to drive. ( I test drove one once) and it looks good. Only really needed a bit bigger/flashier wheels as Nissan are stingy that way. No one is right or wrong here as we are talking a personal preference. Which gives me an idea.

Matra et Alpine
02-19-2004, 04:46 AM
and 10k dollars cheaper.
Sorry, I keep forgetting how much cheaper you guys are for cars :(

I bet a lot more comfortable than an elise.
It's OK if you're 5'6" and weigh 100lbs :)
Yep, an Elise ain't the car to sit on a highway at 65mph for 2 hours !
If that's the kind of driving you do, can't argue.
But, it's fine ( even for a 5'11", 220lbs guy :) ) for short drives. It's all context - - in the UK, the longest highway journey you can make is 500miles - 6 hours :)

it improves stiffness and reduces risk of injury
A car is designed to handle well and in many cases that requires a bit of flex. The Elise is one of the best sorted chassis ( shassy :) ) for the money. It's safe as long as you don't get barrelled into by some 3 ton SUV - hmm, good point for your location :(

plus with 10k in difference you could mod either to go way past the elise
The STi is pretty much got all it needs and 'modding' it is likely to make it unstable with either power-induced understeer or just more weight to slow it down.
We've covered the cultural difference between the keep it light and balanced to go very fast and the keep adding power ( and weight - needing more power ) to go fast.

seriously though...you could get a cobra replicar for 30....maybe even with a 427...that would be a sweet car
Having driven and raced both on track, I can assure you the Elise wins. I think it would be different at Oulton which has a VERY long sweeper at full speed. But in and out of corners, the Elise is a superb machine - only bettered by the (less practical) Caterham/Westfields.

But as you say, you CAN do a lot with the extra $10K.
Good luck with whatever your choice.

sandwich
02-19-2004, 05:33 AM
excellent points...no doubt the elise is a well sorted car....and it can beat most anything on the road stock...it's just a little...well....british for me. I rebuilt a triumph tr6 with my father, as well as toyed with an MGB...they're not too different...small, lightweight, underpowered. Fun cars, but every day i'm stacked up against 3000 suv's on may way to work in a little civic...

It does depend on location and taste though...the elise is definately better on track, but as a car to own, I think the evowrx would be better.

can't go wrong either way...and as for the cobra...I know it's not that great of a car, handling wise etc., but it sure would be fun as hell to own one.

Oh yeah and matra, there's a djet on ebay for 6200...

Matra et Alpine
02-19-2004, 06:09 AM
excellent points...no doubt the elise is a well sorted car....and it can beat most anything on the road stock...it's just a little...well....british for me. I rebuilt a triumph tr6 with my father, as well as toyed with an MGB...they're not too different...small, lightweight, underpowered.
That's 50s designs.
The Elise is much more advanced and is a custom design from chassis (shassy :) ) up.
Triumph and MG's trace their suspension back to 50s family saloons :)

Fun cars, but every day i'm stacked up against 3000 suv's on may way to work in a little civic...
Any sports car is going to feel vulnerable.
I got tagged by a motorhome last year who "didn't see me because the car was too low".
His insurance loved him for that :)

can't go wrong either way...and as for the cobra...I know it's not that great of a car, handling wise etc., but it sure would be fun as hell to own one.
I think everyone should try to own every type pf car, sometime in their lives.
That way you get to experience the good, the bad and (if lucky) the fan-bloody-tastic :)
I'm trying to convinve my 16 year old to get a kit-car for her first vehicle. We could build it over the year and start of with a small I4, but prep the chassis (shassy:)) for a V8 or 10 :)

Oh yeah and matra, there's a djet on ebay for 6200...
Thanks, on my way .......

Suka
02-19-2004, 06:12 AM
GTM Libra V6: 178bhp
0-60=4.5secs
top speed-160mph
20 grand!
You could get two (almost).

It is in the same market as the Elise but to ride in its great, you get loads of leg room and when my Dad and I were riding back from Donnington race track down towards London I reclined the seat and had a nap! How great, and it still manages to be a tiny car, with a boot big enough to fit a bag of golf clubs in.

fpv_gtho
02-19-2004, 10:26 PM
chassis (shassy :) )

i just gotta ask, but whats the go with this?

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2004, 09:35 AM
i just gotta ask, but whats the go with this?
Sorry I carried over some 'humour' from another group discussion I'm invovled int elsewhere :)

Chassis - in the UK pronounced shassy.
In the US, it's chassy ( ch as in church )

In Oz, you probably call it chas knowing the propensity for abbreviating everything :)

With lots of members reading then maybe I can help educate the world in the English (!) language :)

Except that the mood has now passed and it won't be repeated !!

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2004, 09:38 AM
GTM
Well friends 1340cc GTM Rossa lasted for about a month.
We're fitting MG Metro Turbo in this weekend.
That extra power will likely last him a month (!) and he'll be looking to up the turbo and add intercoolers.

Suka
02-20-2004, 10:27 AM
GTM's are great! We had a coupe before the Libra, that was a laugh.

fpv_gtho
02-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Sorry I carried over some 'humour' from another group discussion I'm invovled int elsewhere :)

Chassis - in the UK pronounced shassy.
In the US, it's chassy ( ch as in church )

In Oz, you probably call it chas knowing the propensity for abbreviating everything :)

With lots of members reading then maybe I can help educate the world in the English (!) language :)

Except that the mood has now passed and it won't be repeated !!

actually we take the english pronunciation, most people probably compare the spelling to the pronunciation and probably think its abbreviated already....

Matra et Alpine
02-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Well friends 1340cc GTM Rossa lasted for about a month.
We're fitting MG Metro Turbo in this weekend.
That extra power will likely last him a month (!) and he'll be looking to up the turbo and add intercoolers.
OH NO !!
Having shared the story of brother dropping th engine out of the Bagheera in trying to get off the line, I think I've cursed friends son's Rossa.
He got the MG Turbo engine in with a bit of shoe-horning and modifications.
I never got a chance to see it fully installed - maybe if I had ...
Well the sad tale is that after a shake down run and everything looking OK, he started giving it some lick.
Tried for a fast launch and the engine broke the bottom mounts. Luckily there's no room in the Rossa engine bay so the engine jsut hit the bulkheads !
He was able to coax it home.
So today is engine out (again) and we're going to fabricate engine stabilisers for the top end.
I vaguely remember the works Mini setup and suggested we copy it's twin bar design ( I've seen some Minis with only one stabiliser )
Shame as it's unlikely we can get it all together in time for this weekend's 1/4mile at Crail :(
SUKA ? Do you know of any off-the-shelf stabiliser kits for the Rossa ?
Engineering principles suggest we pin both to the passenger compartment bulkhead and large spreader plates inside - thoughts ??

Batmobile_Turbo
02-28-2004, 12:30 PM
yeah, what's the deal with all of the previous British colonies, Canadiens do this too, like we took the already shortened 'chevy' and turned it into 'chev'

anyway, i think that the C4s are good cars for under 35k and also Dodge stealths plus their counterpart the 3000GT.

Brabus of Doom
02-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Srt-4

bk4uyeah
03-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Although $25k less than what you are in the market for, mid-1970's Porsche 911's are fairly abundent and sell for about $15k. However, if you want to buy new, the Lotus would be you best bet.

Vassar
03-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Is this 35,000 US Currency? If so, a Infiniti G35 Coupe or a Pontiac Bonneville.

The Infiniti G35 is probably the best choice. The G35 has gotten #1 car for its class in just about every magazine. Not to mention, $32,000 is quite affordable for what you're getting. ;)

Matra et Alpine
03-06-2004, 09:41 AM
He got the MG Turbo engine in with a bit of shoe-horning and modifications.
Finished working on the Rossa this morning.
Engine out and in twice - do NOT ask :(
It now has no boot. We had to commandeer it for piping, fans and oil cooler.
Sounds great ( he added a pop-off valve ) and it's taking part in a show tomorrow as one of the featured SS-R cars.
I'll post some good pics of it.
Suka, if you've any contacts for engine stabilising in the Rossa I'd appreciate dropping me a line.
We've fabricated a stronger copy of the original mount but the engine still kicks.
I've told him that fitting the competition clutch is contributing to that and he maybe should return to one with clutch-plate springs !!
I gave it a shake-down run this morning and it's handling is excellent.
Sory for repeating myself ( again and again ) but nothing matches a lightweright car with sharp handling :)

Suka
03-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Finished working on the Rossa this morning.
Engine out and in twice - do NOT ask :(
It now has no boot. We had to commandeer it for piping, fans and oil cooler.
Sounds great ( he added a pop-off valve ) and it's taking part in a show tomorrow as one of the featured SS-R cars.
I'll post some good pics of it.
Suka, if you've any contacts for engine stabilising in the Rossa I'd appreciate dropping me a line.
We've fabricated a stronger copy of the original mount but the engine still kicks.
I've told him that fitting the competition clutch is contributing to that and he maybe should return to one with clutch-plate springs !!
I gave it a shake-down run this morning and it's handling is excellent.
Sory for repeating myself ( again and again ) but nothing matches a lightweright car with sharp handling :)

Sorry Matra i dont no much about the Rossa's build! I could describe in detail about the libra but that wouldn't help being completely different in design.
We are deciding wether to attach a second stabaliser bar to the libra because that kicks quite a bit when you cane it. We have the Libra up on some jacks if you want me to tell you anything.