PDA

View Full Version : Age excuse wearing thin?

fpv_gtho
02-18-2004, 04:33 AM
This is probably something on alot of peoples minds and hasnt until now been brought forward with its own thread. Theres probably countless instances where, lets just say, an under 18 member has put forward their first post on the forums and its gone something like this:

"hi, im new to the forums. firstly i would like to say that the absolute god of a car is the skyline GTR. my uncle has one and everytime im at his place he lets me drive it and i go drifting around the corners and the other day i almost hit this cat asleep on the road, so my uncle made me slow down a bit. im a real big fan of cars so i hope you guys can help me. PS, im only 14 so dont be hard on me"

Well, any thoughts on the matter?

NoOne
02-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Tough call, I gotta say its a case by case scenario, some people are able to post good mature opinions that doesn't reflect their age (such as yourself), while others post a totally uneducated opinion that is mostly laughable, but the underlining factor in both cases is the love of cars and hopefully the desire to learn more and be able to share that knowledge later on.

Its pretty easy to just ignore a post that you feel is not up to par with the forums, its not worth getting worked up over tho. ;)

Matra et Alpine
02-18-2004, 10:24 AM
its not worth getting worked up over tho. ;)
Definately, but if we don't 'guide' new members then we'll end up with the site full of arguments aboutnothing in incomprehesnible text !!
Isn't their a FAQ for the forum where the expectations and limits are written down for all to read and they can chose to either agree and post or get out ??

Niko_Fx
02-18-2004, 12:39 PM
I've never seen a post such as "I ran over a cat with my uncle's skyline" take it easy guys, if you don't like what you read just ignore it

Matra et Alpine
02-18-2004, 12:42 PM
I've never seen a post such as "I ran over a cat with my uncle's skyline" take it easy guys, if you don't like what you read just ignore it
Been there, got the T-shirt and the bobbing-head doll !!
If things aren't kept reassonably controlled by FAQs and guiding new users when posting anappropriately then the forum becomes a wasteland of drivel and loses value and then the good members.
When what you don't like takes up 80% of a forum everyone leaves the children to play alone in the pit :)

Niko_Fx
02-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Well there is stuff posted that doesn't make sense, but not 80% I would say less. Maybe you have a point, but it is a free forum and anyone can acces it so it's kind of hard to control it. But I wouldn't worry about loosing the good members..... this is the best car web page I have ever seen.

Egg Nog
02-18-2004, 03:17 PM
"hi, im new to the forums. firstly i would like to say that the absolute god of a car is the skyline GTR. my uncle has one and everytime im at his place he lets me drive it and i go drifting around the corners and the other day i almost hit this cat asleep on the road, so my uncle made me slow down a bit. im a real big fan of cars so i hope you guys can help me. PS, im only 14 so dont be hard on me"

Utterly hilarious, yet so true its almost painful :) Its basically all of the typical comments merged into one ;)

Doza
02-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Well, any thoughts on the matter?
OmG yOuR uNcLe HaS a SkYlInE? mInE tOo..... KeWlIeS! P.S.S.S, I'm only 15 1/2 and don't be hard one me cuz my mom can't efford mi pillz because WE SPEND ALL OUR OMNEY ON CLK_GTRSS'S. Oh yeah, and the MCLAREWN RULES YOU>!!!!1111

I think it's entertaining. If everyone was always speaking competently and civilly.... it wouldn't be any fun.

fpv_gtho
02-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Utterly hilarious, yet so true its almost painful :) Its basically all of the typical comments merged into one ;)

lol well that was the kind of angle i was aiming for, luckily i never had to go through something like that, as when i joined everyone was new lol

fpv_gtho
02-18-2004, 10:45 PM
OmG yOuR uNcLe HaS a SkYlInE? mInE tOo..... KeWlIeS! P.S.S.S, I'm only 15 1/2 and don't be hard one me cuz my mom can't efford mi pillz because WE SPEND ALL OUR OMNEY ON CLK_GTRSS'S. Oh yeah, and the MCLAREWN RULES YOU>!!!!1111

I think it's entertaining. If everyone was always speaking competently and civilly.... it wouldn't be any fun.

i disagree there. i can quite easily have a reasonable conversation with crisis about something to do with Holdens and Fords, and whilst we may not agree with what each other says it doesnt turn into some juvenile sledge fest

crisis
02-18-2004, 10:57 PM
this is the best car web page I have ever seen.
This is how most of us would like to keep it. It is sometimes more than about cars with many other interesting topics which I enjoy just as much. There has been somewhat of an influx of new members which is always welcome. Unfortunately there seems to be a consistant style with some of them. It has caused this member to loose the plot and become a little "out of order" which I take full responsibility for. But I find juvenile , ill concieved comments sometimes ask for certain responses. My comments were judged accordingly and I accept that. You live and die by you words here as they stay around to haunt you. In the end it is no use asking to be excused for what you think is a stupid comment, dont make it or expect consequences. Everyone is welcome to ask questions. As Mr Garrison said, "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." (joking guys really) :)

fpv_gtho
02-19-2004, 02:07 AM
thats a good point there crisis, but i think i can expand on it a lil. the moderators and most of the senior members want to keep UCP more or less a gentlemans forum. in other words, all the teenagers wanting to brag about what theyve gotten up to in their uncles grey imported japanese car should keep it to forums of the likes of import forums, skylines downunder and other various sites dedicated to those sorts of cars and activities.

Suka
02-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Well i am 15 and simply try not to sound like a complete arse when i post, being a forum member here is nice.

NoOne
02-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Well i am 15 and simply try not to sound like a complete arse when i post, being a forum member here is nice.

Not to worry, you have established yourself as a quality poster. :)

Matt
02-19-2004, 08:09 AM
thats a good point there crisis, but i think i can expand on it a lil. the moderators and most of the senior members want to keep UCP more or less a gentlemans forum. in other words, all the teenagers wanting to brag about what theyve gotten up to in their uncles grey imported japanese car should keep it to forums of the likes of import forums, skylines downunder and other various sites dedicated to those sorts of cars and activities.

It's fine to say that this is how you want the forums to be. For the most part, I agree ( I think a little playful immaturity here and there keeps things light ). But, how do you suggest going about enforcing these rules? Do you delete posts/threads simply because you don't like the way they talk or you don't believe what they say? How you do you keep these types of members from joining the forums in the first place?

Matra et Alpine
02-19-2004, 10:45 AM
It's fine to say that this is how you want the forums to be. For the most part, I agree ( I think a little playful immaturity here and there keeps things light ). But, how do you suggest going about enforcing these rules? Do you delete posts/threads simply because you don't like the way they talk or you don't believe what they say? How you do you keep these types of members from joining the forums in the first place?
By gently reminding them of standards of conduct.

Nothing too heavy - I think we've maybe all been guilty of a little bit heavy-handed at times :)

As you say, a little of it is OK and can be fun.

And quality posts should always give a person leaway to do some silly stuff :)

crisis
02-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Its as simple as that.

Pliz
02-19-2004, 10:29 PM
the absolute god of a car is the skyline GTR. hey at least thats one thing the under 18's get right :D ;)

fpv_gtho
02-19-2004, 10:38 PM

well i had the idea of making some aptitude test for new members for things like knowledge and maturity, but its probably easier just to make clear the epxectations for posts and what the consequences would be for repeat offenses

Jesus H. Christ
02-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Hell, I'm two thousand and three friggin' years old, and I still act like an asshole.

fpv_gtho
02-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Jesus wasn't born in the year 0 C.E.

Falcon500
02-20-2004, 07:29 AM
That is true he was born 4 years before or somthing like that hence wyere 4 yeares behin the AD time were supposed to be in>
I persoanlly view imaturity by the wrong person is a killer in these forums if a person lacks any humor/maturity (in my opion some people can get away with alot more even in text then others) they will die amost horrible death in these forums. I eprsonaly viw quality posts are essential in the first few posts and after a while when people gwt used to you some horseplay is all in good fun. Some people just dont get it abnd view lieing on th net as fun....

fpv_gtho
02-20-2004, 09:43 PM
That is true he was born 4 years before or somthing like that hence wyere 4 yeares behin the AD time were supposed to be in

yeah ive had it breathed down my neck in religion at school that he was born somewhere between 6-4 BCE. same with the use of AD and BC in relation to dates, apparently its been dropped and your supposed to use CE and BCE for common era and before common era. maks no difference to me really

henk4
02-21-2004, 02:10 AM
Hell, I'm two thousand and three friggin' years old, and I still act like an asshole.

but you certainly must have driven many interesting cars during all your time on earth, please share your priceless experience with us. :D

I am 55 and when I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was about senility but reading it now I think I am allowed to participate. My uncle had a BMW 2000 CS by the way.

crisis
02-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I persoanlly view imaturity by the wrong person is a killer in these forums if a person lacks any humor/maturity (in my opion some people can get away with alot more even in text then others) they will die amost horrible death in these forums. I eprsonaly viw quality posts are essential in the first few posts and after a while when people gwt used to you some horseplay is all in good fun. Some people just dont get it abnd view lieing on th net as fun....
I agree. Idiots die a natrual death here without having to be banned. You will get the general idea of what your up against after a couple of posts. That is why I may come accross a little harsh at times. That and becasue Im an asshole.

Smoke
02-22-2004, 10:47 PM
I agree.(not with you being that, because I don't think you are, and probably wont ever.)

We should every now and then be able to have a little fun, like from 1 or 2 posts at the max, but otherwise be a sensable forum.

But running a cat over with a Skyline? :eek:
I'm 13, and my uncle has a a black honda civic I think....

DasModell
02-23-2004, 05:02 AM
UCP is still small ... and doesn;t have big problems for now .. but to keep it that way .. sometime . you will have to delete posts or topics or ban members .. the world is full of idiots .. :) and some have a few lifes to spare :) . the problem is . i don;t :)

Pliz
02-24-2004, 10:05 PM
yeah ive had it breathed down my neck in religion at school that he was born somewhere between 6-4 BCE. same with the use of AD and BC in relation to dates, apparently its been dropped and your supposed to use CE and BCE for common era and before common era. maks no difference to me really its 6 BCE

NoOne
02-25-2004, 06:14 AM
yeah ive had it breathed down my neck in religion at school that he was born somewhere between 6-4 BCE. same with the use of AD and BC in relation to dates, apparently its been dropped and your supposed to use CE and BCE for common era and before common era. maks no difference to me really
I can honestly say that I've never before heard of the abbreviations B.C. and A.D. replaced with C.E. and B.C.E. is this an international thing or are my kids too young to be learning of this?

henk4
02-25-2004, 06:24 AM
I can honestly say that I've never before heard of the abbreviations B.C. and A.D. replaced with C.E. and B.C.E. is this an international thing or are my kids too young to be learning of this?

me neither, but could it mean: Before Christ Existed and Christ Existed? That presupposes that he existed in the first place.

Matra et Alpine
02-25-2004, 07:51 AM
It's another "polital correctness" being foisted on us.
Most folks didn't know or use AD and certainly probably didn't know what BC meant other than dates went negative.
However, the nannies of the world have decreeed that to bo 'fair' we should use the term "Common Era" in place of AD and "Before Common Era" for after it.
Jesus would turn in his grave if he was still there :)

henk4
02-25-2004, 08:00 AM
It's another "polital correctness" being foisted on us.
Most folks didn't know or use AD and certainly probably didn't know what BC meant other than dates went negative.
However, the nannies of the world have decreeed that to bo 'fair' we should use the term "Common Era" in place of AD and "Before Common Era" for after it.
Jesus would turn in his grave if he was still there :)

Thanks, I had no idea at all. Just thinking what Islamic nannies (or ayatollahs) woukd come up with.

Misho
02-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Just thinking what Islamic nannies (or ayatollahs) woukd come up with.

there is a different Islamic calendar that started from the migration of Prophet Mohammed (PBUH). a few days ago was the start of the new year 1425.
just thought a little info could be useful !!

Batmobile_Turbo
02-25-2004, 08:27 PM
i just found this thread, anyway i was 15 when i joined this forum. i don't know as much about cars as the rest of some of you guys but i keep my mouth shut about things that i don't know about. :D
i'm not your typical 14-17 year old either, my likes aren't just confined to supercars and sportscars i like classic VWs, which aren't really the fastest or flashyest cars.

crisis
02-25-2004, 10:34 PM
That would explain your rep points. Good philosophy.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-25-2004, 10:40 PM
That would explain your rep points. Good philosophy.
was that a burn or a compliment?

crisis
02-25-2004, 10:43 PM
was that a burn or a compliment?
31 points mate, look around. Its a compliment!

Batmobile_Turbo
02-25-2004, 10:47 PM
31 points mate, look around. Its a compliment!
thanks, but you have 21 more rep points than me, so i thought it was a burn :D
+1

crisis
02-25-2004, 10:54 PM
thanks, but you have 21 more rep points than me, so i thought it was a burn :D
+1
Thats because I have too much to say. Weight of averages means someone will like it. You way works too. Maybe I should try that a little more.

crisis
02-25-2004, 10:59 PM
you have 21 more rep points than me
It shouldnt be a race. Its important to keep the point system in context. As I posted elsewhere, there are many people who post comments here who In my opinion have more knowledge, experience and intelligence than me. Now Im being serious.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Thats because I have too much to say. Weight of averages means someone will like it. You way works too. Maybe I should try that a little more.
i think it is because you have more wit than a lot of people, and who doesn't love a good burn?
burn * some idiot who is new to the forums = +1
i've received a rep point for a burn before.
maybe i should try saying more sometimes.

crisis
02-25-2004, 11:13 PM
i think it is because you have more wit than a lot of people, and who doesn't love a good burn?
burn * some idiot who is new to the forums = +1
i've received a rep point for a burn before.
maybe i should try saying more sometimes.
Remember you live and die by your words. What you post here cannot be unposted (by us anyway) so it sticks around forever (figuratvely speaking).

Smoke
02-25-2004, 11:14 PM
I think you should.

Is it me, or has this topic been straying away from the main topic?

Doza
02-26-2004, 04:42 PM
me neither, but could it mean: Before Christ Existed and Christ Existed? That presupposes that he existed in the first place.
Common and Before Common Era.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-26-2004, 04:51 PM
I think you should.

Is it me, or has this topic been straying away from the main topic?
it is sort of a branch of the main topic because the new members who are idiots and are not very old usually get a -1 and a burn.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Remember you live and die by your words. What you post here cannot be unposted (by us anyway) so it sticks around forever (figuratvely speaking).
the thing that should be most rewarded is a quality post, not a burn, even though if you go around burning peple you will bet either a +1because someone will think it is hilarious or a -1 because the person who received the burn will hate you, but if you make only quality and positive posts you will merit only +1s.

crisis
02-26-2004, 05:01 PM
it is sort of a branch of the main topic because the new members who are idiots and are not very old usually get a -1 and a burn.
On the question of wit, as you kindly complimented me on earlier, you may want to avail youself to some of EggNogs cruel and cutting see-offs of the likes of Motorer1 etc. Along the line of clever wit seeing off a f*ck wit.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697

Blue Supra
02-26-2004, 05:10 PM
in the first post i ever made i opened my mouth a bit wider than i should have and paid the price and got burned, iv lerned from that and am now more careful that what i type is substantial and worth saying then just a bunch of bs. :p

Batmobile_Turbo
02-26-2004, 05:10 PM
On the question of wit, as you kindly complimented me on earlier, you may want to avail youself to some of EggNogs cruel and cutting see-offs of the likes of Motorer1 etc. Along the line of clever wit seeing off a f*ck wit.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697
i think everyone had there practise with insulting the idiots that posted on that thread, look at post #68 of that thread, i got this guy that didn't read the thread and was trying to tell Motorer1 that he didn't have the car that he aleady addmitted to not having.

crisis
02-26-2004, 05:17 PM
in the first post i ever made i opened my mouth a bit wider than i should have and paid the price and got burned, iv lerned from that and am now more careful that what i type is substantial and worth saying then just a bunch of bs. :p
You will come to appreciate the result of the, at times, ruthless treatment of people who repeatedly post crap by the fact that most of what you see here is worth reading. Introducing yourself with a dumb comment ( I dont know what it was in your case) will invariably draw a negatvie response. As you stated, you learnt from it. Some other do not.

Blue Supra
02-26-2004, 10:01 PM
thats true with everything. you either learn from your mistakes or you continually make them until the cost something dearly. i read the thread of moterer1s and egg nogs. that was fair enough to me. damned funniest thing i read too. :p

fpv_gtho
02-27-2004, 04:47 AM
the thing that should be most rewarded is a quality post, not a burn, even though if you go around burning peple you will bet either a +1because someone will think it is hilarious or a -1 because the person who received the burn will hate you, but if you make only quality and positive posts you will merit only +1s.

if you were to "burn" a new member, with the way the reputation system works they wouldnt be able to affect your rep points, just leave a nasty comment if they wished so that might make you feel a lil better

Batmobile_Turbo
02-28-2004, 12:32 PM
if you were to "burn" a new member, with the way the reputation system works they wouldnt be able to affect your rep points, just leave a nasty comment if they wished so that might make you feel a lil better
oh yea, i didn't think of the new members being able affect your rep points.