PDA

View Full Version : Bmw 507

henk4
11-11-2005, 04:15 AM
As it was the closest by on my pile I took out a BMW 507 by Revell, which came as a premium version with white metal parts, including the engine block, the exhausts and the wheels. (All metal parts are in the kit as plastic parts as well)

So far I have been working on the body and put the engine together and though the result may look nice it a bit of a nuisance to find the oil pan being warped. Probably it will not be too much visible from any angle, but still.

The body is in the paint shop and following Matt's suggestion it will be white, (easy enough as the plastic came in white too).

Anybody else ever made this one?

Dino Scuderia
11-11-2005, 05:50 AM
I've seen a few of them built and they do look fabulous...but I don't know any tips about building this particular kit. I have the convert. and hard top versions, just haven't gotten to them yet.

henk4
11-11-2005, 06:08 AM
I've seen a few of them built and they do look fabulous...but I don't know any tips about building this particular kit. I have the convert. and hard top versions, just haven't gotten to them yet.

got the other versions two, but without the white metal. The body looks very well proportioned. The white metal will probably give the model some solid weight.

derekthetree
11-11-2005, 06:33 AM
i reckon it will look great i white as in real life they do look stunning.

i look forward to seeing the finished product

Dino Scuderia
11-11-2005, 06:38 AM
I hate white metal parts and I don't think they look real at all, much more realistic finishes can be gotten in scale by using metalizer paints.

henk4
11-11-2005, 06:41 AM
I hate white metal parts and I don't think they look real at all, much more realistic finishes can be gotten in scale by using metalizer paints.

I was tempted to build the engine with the plastic parts, but I can always do that with the other ones. Let's see how it works out. Additional wiring does not look like an option.

carsnut
11-13-2005, 08:21 PM

and if there are fitting problems, how do you fix it(can you sand metal)?

henk4
11-14-2005, 01:57 AM
and if there are fitting problems, how do you fix it(can you sand metal)?

White metal is rather soft, so you can work with it if necessary. Fitting problems can also be dealt with by using various putties, and then sand those and apply some paint.

Dino Scuderia
11-17-2005, 07:46 AM
To fix problems with white metal you use metal files, not sandpaper. The same files need to be in your modeling tool collection for plastic too.

henk4
11-30-2005, 04:41 AM
finally some progress, the chassis is basically finished, with the engine installed. According to the instructions large parts of the chassis shoud be body colour, (white in my case) but I only painted the engine bay. The exhaust system should be painted bronze, but I just polished the metal (with metal brush in the Dremel) and leave it as it is. The metal parts give a nice heavy feel to the chassis, but may need some more detail, the air filters are just plain discs, without accentuating the sides.
The not so nice fit the engine halves is clearly visible before the gear box, but I did not bother too much. For those who never saw a torsion bar suspension this kit provides a good insight how that works.

next step will be fitting the interior and firewall, both will be built out of the box.

Detail of the kit is pretty good, but each part needs flesh removal and seam line cleaning.

carsnut
11-30-2005, 05:46 PM
not bad. even with the flaws. much better looking than i could ever do

Dino Scuderia
12-01-2005, 05:41 AM
Can't say that I would have done anything different there. The exhaust looks very good, is that bare metal?

henk4
12-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Can't say that I would have done anything different there. The exhaust looks very good, is that bare metal?

Yes, white metal, just noted that I still need to attach the forward shocks and stabiliser

henk4
12-06-2005, 02:27 AM
Ready, the 507, with which I am reasonably happy, the only setback is the hood that does not fit properly, but also be put in an open position anyway.
I have still not decided on the metal wheels. To paint them white as now is more original, but polishing them (like the outer rims) is also looking nice.

The roof cover may also receive additional treatment, by drilling out the fasteners and replacing them by pinheads, when that will take place however has yet to be decided:)

The original car, with the same license plate (the H at the end indicating that the car is rarely driven classic) showed up at Villa d'Este this year, so here it is as well. This car is not owned by BMW, as that would require an Munich license plate, which would not result in such a cherished number. It needs a car registered in Berlin for that:)

Esperante
12-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Wow, fantastic job! Hood fit looks rather abysmal (I had to punch in the engine a good deal on the Z1 Revell in order to fit properly) but otherwise it has all the detail! You did a fine job, too, I should add.

carsnut
12-06-2005, 05:25 PM
nice....if only I could find kits like that

Esperante
12-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Ah, but you can. I see the newly packaged Revell 507 at the hobby shop whenever I go in.

PerfAdv
12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
I have some 1:18 and 1:24 die-cast models but have never built any. About how many hours of work goes in? Is this 1:24 scale or...? Look great, nice job! :)

henk4
12-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Wow, fantastic job! Hood fit looks rather abysmal (I had to punch in the engine a good deal on the Z1 Revell in order to fit properly) but otherwise it has all the detail! You did a fine job, too, I should add.

basically the fitting of the metal engine to the chassis is the problem. It is also not sitting perfectly straight, but I only noted that when fitting the propshaft. Revell also has a full plastic version of the car, which probably has some more room to play with the fittings. However, the fitting of the hood on the bare body, (without the engine) was not that good.

carsnut
12-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Ah, but you can. I see the newly packaged Revell 507 at the hobby shop whenever I go in.

too bad my local hobby shop is a small one almost smaller than the size of a master bedroom, so there isn't too much there