PDA

View Full Version : Renault To Revive Sporty Alpine

Matra et Alpine
11-11-2005, 06:04 AM
Tuesday 8th November
RENAULT TO REVIVE SPORTY ALPINE

French carmaker plans new F1-inspired RWD coupé

Renault is to make more of its F1 technology link and revive the Alpine name. It will launch a new high-performance sports coupé within the next two years, according to a story in Autocar.

Front-engined with rear-wheel drive, it'll be the first Renault with this layout since the 1952 Frégate, and the first Alpine since 1995's A610 V6 Turbo.
( ED: BOOO, For Alpine it shoudl be rear :( )

The underpinnings come from Nissan, thanks to the technology transfer arrangement between the two companies.
The report suggests that Renault is still considering whether to base the car on Nissan's 350Z or use a bigger chassis that's still under development. The crucial issue here is price: the smaller car would sell for around £25-30k, while larger one would go for around £40,000 -- where the air is thinner and the sales fewer.
The aim is to fill a gap in Renault's portfolio. Since the demise of the Clio V6, the company has no overtly sporty model, and nothing on the road that demonstrates its F1 investment and expertise. Autocar also reports that Renault boss Carlos Ghosn is impressed by the way that the 350Z has turned Nissan's image around -- in part at least -- and aims to do the same.
It makes sense for Renault to be able to point to a sporty car that includes some F1 technology, even if it's only a paddle shift gearbox. Let's hope Ghosn decides to go ahead with it. ( ed: and lets hope he moves the engine :D )

drakkie
11-11-2005, 06:08 AM
it better be as good looking as all those alpines from the past, or i will kick that boss his ass :D

henk4
11-11-2005, 06:11 AM
they might want to consult Jean Redele how to make a proper one, not stuffed up with all sorts of unnecessities like route planners and cupholders

Lagonda
11-11-2005, 06:50 AM
**** yeah bring it on !

Great news.

Sant'Agata
11-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Can't wait.

Pando
11-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Woohoo another French Nissan! ;)

Piacki_117
11-11-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm looking forward to a real french sportscar. I hope the Fluence concept will be produced.

Woohoo another French Nissan! ;)

Renault owns 51% of Nissan, not the reverse.;) :cool: :rolleyes: :D

pimento
11-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Lets hope there isn't any F1 on it, like a flappy paddle gearbox.

QuattroMan
11-11-2005, 11:33 AM
ha!ha!! half breed French/jap car,im really looking forward to drive this car.

PerfAdv
11-11-2005, 11:51 AM
If it's a FR, wouldn't that just make it another car made off the Z and G35 chassis? A reskinned 'Z'? Atleast, per Matra stick the Nissan motor in the back so it's not an Alpine in name only.

Matra et Alpine
11-11-2005, 11:52 AM
If they design it with Alpine focus and intent then it will wipe the floor.

The "last" one, the A610, outhandled the best Porsche of the day :D

Spastik_Roach
11-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Meh. I'm not getting my hopes up. But if anyone can pull something like this off, its probably Renault. And now thanks to Nissan they have reliability in the mix aswell.

Matra et Alpine
11-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Meh. I'm not getting my hopes up. But if anyone can pull something like this off, its probably Renault. And now thanks to Nissan they have reliability in the mix aswell.
Interesting viewpoint.
Ghosn is widely reported as having taken RENAULT reliability and customer focus to sort out Nissan's problems :D

henk4
11-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Interesting viewpoint.
Ghosn is widely reported as having taken RENAULT reliability and customer focus to sort out Nissan's problems :D

I hope the Laguna reliability (keyless doors anybody?) will not be part of any Alpine:D

Spastik_Roach
11-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Interesting viewpoint.

Well I meant compared to the Alpine Era.

Zytek_Fan
11-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Planning on test driving one Matra?

Matra et Alpine
11-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Planning on test driving one Matra?
hell yes and woudl go to Dieppe too :D

Zytek_Fan
11-11-2005, 02:50 PM
hell yes and woudl go to Dieppe too :D
Make sure you get lots of pictures

Lagonda
11-11-2005, 04:00 PM
I hope the Fluence concept will be produced.
Now THAT would be a dream come true.

RS6
11-12-2005, 08:08 AM
This is good news, but I really don't like the 350Z's engine.

Matra et Alpine
11-12-2005, 08:18 AM
This is good news, but I really don't like the 350Z's engine.
Why not ?
Recognised as one of the best V6s around

Esperante
11-12-2005, 08:39 AM
So wait-this things not going to be rear or even mid mounted? :(

Matra et Alpine
11-12-2005, 08:58 AM
So wait-this things not going to be rear or even mid mounted? :(
doesn't look like it :(

Letter to Ghosn will be in the mail this week !!!!!!

Esperante
11-12-2005, 09:00 AM
I suppose if it's front-mid it'd be reasonable, but a rear engine would be soo much more preferable. I mean, this is the reinvention of the Alpine we're talking about. It's like if Porsche were to drop off the face for a decade and then the new model would be a front engined homage to the 944. :(

RS6
11-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Why not ?
Recognised as one of the best V6s around

Maybe, but not in the sound department.

forza_autodelta
11-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm looking forward to a real french sportscar. I hope the Fluence concept will be produced.

Renault owns 51% of Nissan, not the reverse.;) :cool: :rolleyes: :D
AHAHAH
Renault survive for the moment 'cause Nissan seels cars , "not the reverse":p

Matra et Alpine
11-12-2005, 02:17 PM
AHAHAH
Renault survive for the moment 'cause Nissan seels cars , "not the reverse":p
Both seem to be selligng well according to the first half financials posted at renault.com

Renault's sales seem to be holding well in most markets and market share is mainly unchanged.

Without the alliance there woudl be issues for both manufacturers for sure.
But I dont' think it's as simple as one "sell" mopre than the other.

Matra et Alpine
11-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Maybe, but not in the sound department.
So far the V6 has been used in cars aimed to conform to mass market requirements for the new EEC and Japan noise directives :(

Hopefully a lower volume sports car can be a little more "inventive" about addressing these legal requirements :D

ZeTurbo
11-12-2005, 04:45 PM
I suppose if it's front-mid it'd be reasonable, but a rear engine would be soo much more preferable. I mean, this is the reinvention of the Alpine we're talking about. It's like if Porsche were to drop off the face for a decade and then the new model would be a front engined homage to the 944. :(
Im afraid you dont understand what is going on here.

Rnault is not reviving Alpine. Renault is using the respectable image alpine left behind to show case some of theyr F1 technology. Like GM did with the new Charger (only them it was worse, at least renault will make the new alpines decent cars unlike GM did with the charger).

I hate to see this happen.

Esperante
11-12-2005, 07:43 PM

Rnault is not reviving Alpine. Renault is using the respectable image alpine left behind to show case some of theyr F1 technology. Like GM did with the new Charger (only them it was worse, at least renault will make the new alpines decent cars unlike GM did with the charger).

I understand what's happening. It's the revival of the name, probably the most popular fad in the car industry today. I still find it upsetting that this thing's not going to be rear mounted...

pimento
11-12-2005, 09:13 PM
It certainly should be at least mid mounted. Given that the Clio V6 is dead, they could have had something along those lines for it. Hmmm, a Clio V6 with the 3.5 in the back...

forza_autodelta
11-13-2005, 05:38 AM
Both seem to be selligng well according to the first half financials posted at renault.com

Renault's sales seem to be holding well in most markets and market share is mainly unchanged.

Without the alliance there woudl be issues for both manufacturers for sure.
But I dont' think it's as simple as one "sell" mopre than the other.
perhaps , but I don't think they'll be able to hold it on a long period , they're trying to sell cars in markets which aren't theirs , as the Clio , which is bigger and bigger , if they keep this eyar , customers might change (is it understandable:confused: )

Matra et Alpine
11-13-2005, 05:51 AM
How are sales of the Modus and Twingo in France ?

There are LOTS of Modus around now and it was always a shame they never built a RHD Twingo. Quite a few of people imported LHD Twingos :D

I think the Clio is following the market as all the small cars get biggger - eg VW, Citroen, Peugeot. All there "small" models are getting larger.

Also corporate strategy is important and it is possible that Renualt will be happy providing the mechanicals for the production line in UK building the Nissan Micra :D

forza_autodelta
11-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Also corporate strategy is important and it is possible that Renualt will be happy providing the mechanicals for the production line in UK building the Nissan Micra :D
why not...but here we don't see lots of Nissans...but strangly new Renaults sounds popular , I find them ugly...

Lagonda
11-13-2005, 08:18 AM
why not...but here we don't see lots of Nissans...but strangly new Renaults sounds popular , I find them ugly...
Renault has always been popular. They've always been one of the top selling manufacturers in France. The Laguna was number 1, the Scénic was number one, the Clio was the best selling car in it's category in Europe, the Espace the number one people carrier (and most stolen car in France) etc..

You don't see to many Nissans around because Nissan has a relatively bad image in Europe. But they're doing better now. They should bring the big Nissans (like the Fuga) and Infiniti to Europe though.

And Renault doesn't survive because of Nissan, it's probably the other way around.

forza_autodelta
11-13-2005, 09:50 AM
You don't see to many Nissans around because Nissan has a relatively bad image in Europe. But they're doing better now. They should bring the big Nissans (like the Fuga) and Infiniti to Europe though.

And Renault doesn't survive because of Nissan, it's probably the other way around.
sure , apart the Micra and the X-trail for big families , we don't really have a look to the Nissans .About Renault , actually , they sell some new Clios and an enormous quantity of Scenics , 'cause the Espace is too big and the Clio(althought it took some centimetres more)still too little for families who have two chidren.

henk4
11-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Apparently the Modus is not selling as well as expected and apart from the 10year old Twingo, there is nothing below the Clio (Citroen has the C3,C2 and now C1 and so has Peugeot)

forza_autodelta
11-13-2005, 10:35 AM
(Citroen has the C3,C2 and now C1 and so has Peugeot)
do you think there's a future for the 107 and the 1007?the style is difficult , just seen two 107 until right now

Piacki_117
11-13-2005, 10:41 AM
do you think there's a future for the 107 and the 1007?the style is difficult , just seen two 107 until right now
...but no C1 and no Aygo, right?

forza_autodelta
11-13-2005, 10:48 AM
...but no C1 and no Aygo, right?
right , not at all

IBrake4Rainbows
11-13-2005, 03:36 PM
The Main reason that the Renault/Nissan Merger works well is because of a corporate attitude that both companies are equal. Hence they can share with no shame.

This should be good, But it won't sell as well as it's Nissan counterpart.

It'd have to have a major point of difference, also. Adding some lovely Renault Styling or an Alpine badge will not do.

Esperante
11-19-2005, 08:16 PM
Here's my plug for my design of this car. I'm very fond of it, myself.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=150537&stc=1&d=1132456426

eltrono
11-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Here's my plug for my design of this car. I'm very fond of it, myself.

nice caar, you drew it yourself??

forza_autodelta
11-20-2005, 12:12 PM
you've just recreated the TVR :p pretty drawing guy

Bob
11-20-2005, 03:23 PM

GM doesn't make the Charger. That's DaimlerChrysler. GM makes the GTO, which is actually a Holden.

Zytek_Fan
11-20-2005, 04:43 PM
you've just recreated the TVR :p pretty drawing guy
It looks exactly like the TVR Cerbera Speed 12

ZeTurbo
11-20-2005, 04:55 PM
GM doesn't make the Charger. That's DaimlerChrysler. GM makes the GTO, which is actually a Holden.
My bad, sorry :( .
still, you can see the point.

I do agree it should be rear mounted, maybe give the cayman a run for its money.

carlover0126
11-21-2005, 08:20 PM
renault is one of the worst car branches ever!
lol i hate french cars!

ZeTurbo
11-21-2005, 09:27 PM
lol moronic comment of the day ^...lol

lol

forza_autodelta
11-22-2005, 12:17 AM
lol i hate french cars!
good , you're on the right path man:)

go.pawel
11-22-2005, 12:40 AM
lol i hate french cars!
Good! Someone has to.:cool:
It's not good when everyone loves you.

Zytek_Fan
11-22-2005, 04:44 PM
I like Citroen more than Renault

crisis
11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
lol i hate french cars!
:D
We will have to wait to see if it is another "GTO, Mini, Beetle etc" bandwagon job. Hopefully the design can be less "French" in aesthetics, Clio indeed! It should look like a sports car at least.
Will the French be able to handle a rear wheel drive car?:D

Matra et Alpine
11-22-2005, 06:41 PM
:D
We will have to wait to see if it is another "GTO, Mini, Beetle etc" bandwagon job. Hopefully the design can be less "French" in aesthetics, Clio indeed! It should look like a sports car at least.
Will the French be able to handle a rear wheel drive car?:D
Let's see. Matra, Alpine, Ligier, Venturi, Renault (Spider), Pescarolo -- and remember it was Oreco who made the Viper a winning race car :D
And of course the Renault RS25 -- the pinnacle of RWD wining cars !!!
There's plenty of heritage and skill there ......

Zytek_Fan
11-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Let's see. Matra, Alpine, Ligier, Venturi, Renault (Spider), Pescarolo -- and remember it was Oreco who made the Viper a winning race car :D
The Oreca Chrysler Viper GTS/R sounds amazing

SPN:DOC
11-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Dieppe Renault sport hand assembles Clio sport 182, and 255, since those two models are not in production, leaves me wondering what the Factory is doing now? Have they all taken a long Holiday, till new models come? :confused:

crisis
11-22-2005, 11:16 PM
leads with the chin
Any in the last 30 years? Viper nonwithstanding.

Zytek_Fan
11-22-2005, 11:37 PM
If the new Alpine comes to the US I'll buy one

Matra et Alpine
11-23-2005, 01:58 AM
leads with the chin
Any in the last 30 years? Viper nonwithstanding.
HEY !! The A610s are only 10 years old :D
THe SPider, Venturi all within the last 10.
But a little "quiet" for the last few, a couple of kits :(

EXCEPT OF COURSE ....... CLIO V6 :) :zing:

He's down, 1...2...3...4...5....6.....7....8...9...10 HE'S OUT !!!!!!

"Reanutl Dieppe" is Alpine factory. A few protos have been built over the years but "new" Renault don't seem to be usign them for much ither than assembling special Clio versions like the 182.

MrKipling
11-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Matra, you're forgetting the Oreca Audi R8s that have been ruling LMES.

I saw a bodykitted Clio at Oulton Park the other week, it had been done to look like on of the JWRC cars and it looked mega. I've got a pic somewhere – I'll dig it out.

I for one am all for Renault reviving the Alpine name - why not? They have a world championship winning F1 team, can lay claim to some of the best hot hatches ever made and are now in possesion of a rather tasty V6 from Japan. Bring it on, just don't balls it up!

Matra et Alpine
11-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Matra, you're forgetting the Oreca Audi R8s that have been ruling LMES.
not so sure on that :D

The Audi R8's dominance comes from the Audi development.
I think my granny could run an Audi R8 team and win :D

ZeTurbo
11-23-2005, 01:40 PM
There is no doubt Renault can build a decent sports car.
The questios is rather will they be able to build a lightweight, Rear engine, rear wheel drive sports car.

Zytek_Fan
11-23-2005, 01:49 PM
The Oreca R8 wasn't dominating the LMES, its best result was first at Silverstone and the rest of the season it got third place finishes

Zytek_Fan
11-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Pescarolo and Zytek were dominating

MrKipling
11-24-2005, 04:18 AM
Yeah it's also more than five years old! And I didn't say dominating.

Matra et Alpine
11-24-2005, 04:56 AM
Yeah it's also more than five years old! And I didn't say dominating.
ruling ....... dominating

you say tomayto, I say tomatoe :D

sebas
11-25-2005, 08:33 PM
lightweight, Rear engine, rear wheel drive sports car ----> this is exactly an Alpine. I´m sure they are able to do that car.
I prefer an small, lightweight, rear engined (2 lt. or similar), very sporty car than a 350z derivative. A new Alpine berlinette, in the spirit of the A110