PDA

View Full Version : Eurpean Car of the Year 2006: Renault Clio

jorismo
11-14-2005, 02:24 AM
The Renault Clio became for the second time in its lifetime "Car of the Year." But it sure was a close finish...

In contrast to last year, when the Toyota Prius had a pownding victory (406 pts), this year was rather close. Remarkable enough the Clio wasn't the first choise for all the 58 jury members. The Clio got voted 11 times as first and 14 times as second. The Passat on the other hand got 14 number one votes and 11 number two votes.

The decision for the victory was that only one jurymember didn't reckon any points to the Clio. The Passat didn't get any points from three judges.

It's the second time that the Clio was voted the best. In 1991 was the Clio also voted as "Car of the Year."

Result and Points:

1. Renault Clio 256 pts.
2. VW Passat 251 pts.
3. Alfa Romeo 159 212 pts.
4. BMW 3-Series 203 pts.
5. Mazda 5 198 pts.
6. Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygo 187 pts.
7. Toyota Yaris 143 pts.

From this wednesday the public can vote for their "Car of the Year."

henk4
11-14-2005, 02:30 AM
Bullshit. There is nothing new on the Clio, except that it got bigger and heavier.

Where is the C6?????:mad:

jorismo
11-14-2005, 02:40 AM

I didn't even make it to the final 7.

But look at Toyota: two nominated cars and both at last two spots. Many people say that the low score of the Yaris can be explained by the fact that the most of the judges haven't been able yet to drive it. Why is it even by the final 7?? How could they know if it's that good if they couldn't even drive it??? :confused:

henk4
11-14-2005, 02:51 AM
so much for "independent" journalists:mad:

SPN:DOC
11-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Bullshit. There is nothing new on the Clio, except that it got bigger and heavier.

Do I sense a little jealousy fron the Citroen fan...:D

derekthetree
11-14-2005, 03:45 AM

i think we all learnt to ignore the decisions of the Euro Car of the Year Judges a long time ago. They can't be trusted with anything :D

henk4
11-14-2005, 03:56 AM
Do I sense a little jealousy fron the Citroen fan...:D

a little, but even out of the cars that made it to the finals, the Clio is nothing special.

I knew already that the C6 did not make it to the finals, but just to see the Clio of all cars win over the C6 astounds me.

Wouter Melissen
11-14-2005, 04:12 AM
a little, but even out of the cars that made it to the finals, the Clio is nothing special.

I knew already that the C6 did not make it to the finals, but just to see the Clio of all cars win over the C6 astounds me.

Maybe you should take some time off playing solitaire and take a closer look at the new Clio. It is a completely new car, so it had to cope with the latest safety regulations, which is why it grew in size slightly. The C6 is too much of a niche car to ever be considered to be car of the year. Personally I would have picked the 159 over any of the others.

Rijoh
11-14-2005, 04:20 AM
The new Renault Clio is soooooo boring, it doesn't deserve this title at all. There is absolutely nothing new, or refreshing about it. Just because the VW Passat, Alfa 159 and BMW 3-series are more expensive they won't become the winner. Back in the old days if a car had revolutional new technics it could become a winner, wether it was in a higher market or not, like the Porsche 928. This really is a disgrace, don't take this election serious anymore people (if you still did)!!!

Wouter Melissen
11-14-2005, 04:22 AM
The new Renault Clio is soooooo boring, it doesn't deserve this title at all. There is absolutely nothing new, or refreshing about it. Just because the VW Passat, Alfa 159 and BMW 3-series are more expensive they won't become the winner. Back in the old days if a car had revolutional new technics it could become a winner, wether it was in a higher market or not, like the Porsche 928. This really is a disgrace, don't take this election serious anymore people (if you still did)!!!

The 928 was the exception, not the rule.

henk4
11-14-2005, 04:23 AM
Maybe you should take some time off playing solitaire and take a closer look at the new Clio.

I prefer playing any game over looking at this thing:D

Lagonda
11-14-2005, 05:14 AM
Go Renault ! The new Clio really is great, it's a bit bigger but it also finally offers all the high tech gizmos that weren't in this category before.
I'd would've liked the 159 in 1st place as well. The Passat 2nd ? Good lord what a joke, the same goes for the 3 series. Altough I must admit that the 3 is technically very good it just doesn't deserver to be on the roads because it's soo damn ugly.

drakkie
11-14-2005, 07:34 AM
for the dutch people:

two of the journalists of the "Autokampioen" magazine are in jury.they always write good articles about their choices and the other cars. it is likely that they will soon write another article about this election including all scores etcetera. So watch the stres for it !!

Piacki_117
11-14-2005, 09:52 AM
The new Renault Clio is soooooo boring, it doesn't deserve this title at all! There is absolutely nothing new, or refreshing about it
What is new in the 159 (the new GM V6?!), in the Passat (design?) and in the BMW 1er (RWD?) ???????:confused:

IBrake4Rainbows
11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
If the Citroen XM was a winner, why not the C6?

I really don't listen to ECOTY anyway. It's very biased.

Rijoh
11-14-2005, 03:35 PM
What is new in the 159 (the new GM V6?!), in the Passat (design?) and in the BMW 1er (RWD?) ???????:confused:
What is new in the Clio??????:confused:

Dull looks, ok your right:rolleyes:

6'bore
11-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I prefer playing any game over looking at this thing:D

I find the car to be very well designed. I don't think you could buy a brand new car that looks as good as this for the same money.

http://idata.over-blog.com/0/10/88/60/imagescliors/1706208707.jpg

11-14-2005, 09:04 PM
I find the car to be very well designed. I don't think you could buy a brand new car that looks as good as this for the same money.

http://idata.over-blog.com/0/10/88/60/imagescliors/1706208707.jpg

Ye except that’s the Concept Renault sport Clio.. not the one that won eurpean car of the year 2006.. :)

carlover0126
11-24-2005, 07:05 PM
OMG French cars are gay!

Matra et Alpine
11-24-2005, 07:11 PM
OMG French cars are gay!

OMFG, rednecks are um ...... erm ........ rednecks !!!

Only partly :D

Get a life !!!!!

xsara
11-26-2005, 02:21 AM
I think Clio`s New design is so fascinating and the shiny & Dynamic designplus spacious interior deserves the bes europian car in it`s Class

Rijoh
11-26-2005, 02:32 AM
I think Clio`s New design is so fascinating and the shiny & Dynamic designplus spacious interior deserves the bes europian car in it`s Class
You obviously haven't seen it for real, have you:rolleyes:

11-26-2005, 07:08 AM
OMG French cars are gay!
OMG your gay... :rolleyes:

11-26-2005, 07:09 AM
You obviously haven't seen it for real, have you:rolleyes:

i think it looks great aswell, something about the french, they really know how to make small cars...:p

11-26-2005, 07:14 AM
OMG French cars are gay!
why??

Pando
11-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Bullshit. There is nothing new on the Clio, except that it got bigger and heavier. Unfortunately bigger and heavier is things that the broad public appreciate as long as it doesn't affect fuel consumption. Bigger means more space for shopping bags and heavier means more gizmos inside.

I'm not supporting the Clio since I havn't driven the new one. The 2001 version (smallest engine) was one of the most dissapointing cars I've ever driven, especially since I thought the '98 sport was really nice.

Rijoh
11-27-2005, 04:15 AM
Unfortunately bigger and heavier is things that the broad public appreciate as long as it doesn't affect fuel consumption. Bigger means more space for shopping bags and heavier means more gizmos inside.

I'm not supporting the Clio since I havn't driven the new one. The 2001 version (smallest engine) was one of the most dissapointing cars I've ever driven, especially since I thought the '98 sport was really nice.
I've read in several articles about the new Clio that the powered steering is very bad indeed, so the new one probably will not drive a lot better!

11-27-2005, 04:25 AM
I've read in several articles about the new Clio that the powered steering is very bad indeed, so the new one probably will not drive a lot better!
what... the x65 clio drives like a dream, like no FWD, the Sport handles like a dream and goes like a rocket, believe me… look below…:D :D

The steering is a little on the heavy side just the way I like it so i can feel the road, My BMW steering was much heavier…