PDA

View Full Version : Best car for under 10k?

sandwich
02-19-2004, 08:02 AM
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey you guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys

what in your opinion is the best car available for under 10k? I am looking for performance here...mostly.

I ask this because I'm looking for a new car...I want something quick, but I also want something with class. I'm in love with AWD, but not completely against RWD. No FWD at all. I can get a cheaper car and modify it, or get a more expensive one and drive it as is. My limit is 10k. Please don't say,"if you could go up to 12,000, you could get a...blahblahblah". 10k Will be a stretch for me, and I won't have it till the summertime.

Right now my options include:
a 1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac GTS, completely prepared for rally, new intercooler and blah blah, no interior or radio though...the guy wants 6300 CAD.
Find an AMC eagle, perform a V8 swap and a jaguar rear axle conversion. Could be difficult, but gives me the ability to upgrade in stages. Also SCCA prorally legal if the displacement is below 389.7 CI.
A busted old Impreza, with an engine swap and various other mods. Might be nice, might not cost too much, but how ugly would it be? Or rather, how pretty could I make it?

At the other end of the scale...
In CT a guy has a Lancia Delta integrale for sale. He wants 9500 for it, I believe it to be a 16v turbo, but he says it's an EVO 1. The fenders are not that wide and the wheels are 4 bolt, not five, like every other evo has...so it's a little shady.
He also has a toyota celica ST205, the 3rd gen AWD celica....one of my favorite cars ever...but it doesn't have a title and he wants 11500.
He also has a nissan pulsar gtiR....which I know nothing about but sounds fun, at 9300.

I prefer AWD, midengine, and NA....any other ideas? I've considered big crusisers (1967 Lincoln Continental) and motorcycles (Duke monster or 1950's harley). I just can't make up my mind though. The car can't be too much of a project, it's got to be something I can drive and mod at the same time.

Suka
02-19-2004, 10:25 AM
Up for a Kit Car?

sandwich
02-19-2004, 10:54 AM
yes...i own one. Alas, I can't afford the time space or money needed to finish it.

Suka
02-19-2004, 12:35 PM
How about the new Veranti? Just over 7 grand factory built or build it yourself for 6? Or maybe rapid productions Murcielago replica, Comprehensive kit costs £4995, this price probably doesn't include the donor a Jag XJ40.

sandwich
02-19-2004, 01:48 PM
as I said before, if I wanted a kit car, I would build my own. Sadly my father is getting another one, and I don't have time to build the one I own...Also, I am in the US...so UK cars are out...otherwise I'd have a Delta right now...

Jesus H. Christ
02-19-2004, 02:31 PM
A nice car is an '87 Buick Grand National. It's not all-wheel drive, so you may not like it, but they are pretty easy to modify, and pretty fast also. You might want to do some suspension work, but other than that, just a performance chip, blueprinting the engine and new injectors will get you going pretty fast already.

sandwich
02-19-2004, 08:22 PM
are those all turbo sixes, or did some come with 8s? Also...i looked breifly on ebay....why the hell do they not make them with manuals? I don't think i want an automatic unless it's a big f.cking lincoln...

Jesus H. Christ
02-20-2004, 02:53 PM
are those all turbo sixes, or did some come with 8s? Also...i looked breifly on ebay....why the hell do they not make them with manuals? I don't think i want an automatic unless it's a big f.cking lincoln...

They all came with turbocharged and intercooled 3.8 liter V-6s. Some people have dropped in V-8s, though. And they all came in automatic.

Egg Nog
02-20-2004, 07:18 PM
How do you fancy a circa 1980s BMW 325ix?

sandwich
02-21-2004, 08:55 AM
not too big on 80's cars, and not to big on bmw's.

Just about the only one i really like is the z3 coupe and the 850 ci in manual...

Suka
02-21-2004, 11:04 AM
Get a factory built kit car! Superb car for the money! This may not suit your taste but a new road legal single seater with formula 1 styling comes out in may for 7 grand. What kind of car do you want? I could look something out and get the price of a factory built option. Companies like GTM have got companies in the US that sell their cars for them to reach a wider market so that should cover that.

Spastik_Roach
02-25-2004, 12:39 AM
Toyota MR2? They are mid-engined, pretty sure they are RWD. A possibility at all?

fpv_gtho
02-25-2004, 02:57 AM
A nice car is an '87 Buick Grand National. It's not all-wheel drive, so you may not like it, but they are pretty easy to modify, and pretty fast also. You might want to do some suspension work, but other than that, just a performance chip, blueprinting the engine and new injectors will get you going pretty fast already.

Is it just me or do you try include the Grand National wherever you can?