PDA

View Full Version : What's your dram of choice?

Wheelman
02-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Ok Gents, let's talk about our favourite alcohol. What do you guys like to drink?

Comunista
02-19-2004, 12:22 PM
have you taken of the absinthe yet, dammit? like i told you to?

Wheelman
02-19-2004, 12:23 PM
No, not yet. But check this out...There's the french bottle for $59.99, and then there's this bottle of Czeckoslovakian Absinthe for $89.99. I dunno if I told you about that. Now I don't know which to buy!

Comunista
02-19-2004, 12:27 PM
what's the proof, and whats the mg of thujone of each?

i personally like higher proof over high thujone, since at a point the alcy supercedes the stuff anyway, though there is some high-leveled thujone stuff that could mess you up nicely on a good evening.

Wheelman
02-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Ok, so it's the thujone that gives you the Absinthe essence, not the alcohol. That explains why it's traditionally cut with water, 50/50.

Comunista
02-19-2004, 12:31 PM
more or less. if you drink too much of it, the effect of being drunk'll make it pointless to drink more, in your crusade to see "green færies".

Homem de Gelo
02-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Tequila;
Caipiroskas and other drinks with vodka;
heroin.

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2004, 10:02 AM
A wee dram has to be a good whisky.

Single Malt, 40+ years old matured in Spanish Amontillado casks.

SWMBO used to work in the whisky bottling trade and Christmas specials were JUST that ..... The "Angels share" bottled locally :) :)

42 year old BUNNAHABHAIN - mangeed to make it last nearly a month :)
On the open market would have been quite a few hundred poiunds worth !!!!

Hmmm, it's just a little too early to retire with a good dram and a big fire :(

Matt
02-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Whiskey sour
Jack and Coke
Amaretto Sour

Comunista
02-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Whiskey sour
Jack and Coke
Amaretto Sour

no fuzzy navels? :p

Wheelman
02-20-2004, 11:50 AM
A wee dram has to be a good whisky.

Single Malt, 40+ years old matured in Spanish Amontillado casks.

Jesus Christ, man! You've got expensive tastes! And I thought I was bad importing a bottle of Edradour to Canada....

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Jesus Christ, man! You've got expensive tastes! And I thought I was bad importing a bottle of Edradour to Canada....
Remember I said my wife used to work in the trade :)
90% of the cost of whisky goes to the UK tax man !!
"Directors reserve" is an acceptable practise in the idustry where odd casks left in the bonded warejouses can be bought and bottled.
There's usually only a couple of barrels and they're usually half empty ( the Angels Share takes the rest ).
These are privately bottled and distributed to friends, family and 'contacts'.

But yep, I've had a few reprimands from the accountants about the drink bills at times :) :) Whisky in Sweden used to make yours eyes water. A nip was the same price as a bottle back home. It's got better in recent years, but still ranks the most expensive palce to drink :(

Wheelman
02-20-2004, 12:10 PM
You lucky bugger. I think my girlfriends father is in on one of those Angel Share things. He bought into some share of a barrel of single malt that's left in stock to age, and it's going to be bottled when it reaches 18 years. The best part is that there'll be a few bottles of it given to my girl, to be shared with her oh-so-appreciative boyfriend. I'll have to find out what distillery it's from.

How close to Edinburgh are you? I spent a month in Edinburgh a few years ago (I'll never forgive myself for not bringing home more whisky), but I was staying in Portobello.

Matt
02-20-2004, 01:36 PM
no fuzzy navels? :p

Only if it has an umbrella.

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2004, 01:55 PM
to be shared with her oh-so-appreciative boyfriend. I'll have to find out what distillery it's from.
and make sure you keep sweet with her :)

How close to Edinburgh are you? I spent a month in Edinburgh a few years ago (I'll never forgive myself for not bringing home more whisky), but I was staying in Portobello.
5 miles the other side. West of the airport.
Yep, my case is always full of 'good stuff' when I'm on business trips.
It's hard to find the really good stuff outside of Scotland.
You'll just all have to come over and take a holiday and tour the distilleries !!!!
:)

Wheelman
02-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Oh, I fully intend to. I've been to Edradour and Glenfiddich, but I'll be coming back to Scotland until I've visited them all, or at least, many many more.

Matra et Alpine
02-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Ok Gents, let's talk about our favourite alcohol. What do you guys like to drink?"Aggravation" - introduced to me by colleague in his bar in Atlanta.....
Tall glass, filled with ice (cubes)
One shot of whisky ( doesn't need to be expensive stuff :)
One shot of kahlua
Fill the glass with milk ( not full-skimmed ! )
By the third one, your legs have a life of their own :)
Best of all - - next morning ..... no hangover, no upset stomachs, no memory

Wheelman
02-20-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm not gonna lie to you, that sounds absolutely horrid. But that's just me, I can't really drink mixed drinks. Too sweet. I'd just as soon forego the milk and Kaluha, and have the whiskey with a little ice if it's Canadian, or neat if it's Scottish.

Comunista
02-21-2004, 12:02 AM
"Aggravation" - introduced to me by colleague in his bar in Atlanta.....
One shot of kahlua

that sounds damn delicious.

usually i dont sully myself w/ mixed drinks, but they can be fun and delicious, and when im not focusing on intaking alcohol but just trying to drink socially, mixed drinks are often a desireable route to go (if im not in the mood for a beer, which ill say right now im not very picky about)

Evo Rob
02-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Pernod and Redbull awsome stuff

Wouter Melissen
02-21-2004, 02:09 AM
"Aggravation" - introduced to me by colleague in his bar in Atlanta.....
One shot of kahlua

That almost sounds like the White Russian The Dude drinks in 'The Big Lebowski'.

Falcon500
02-21-2004, 03:06 AM
my faveorite drink would have to be Black Douglas Scotch its a good compramise between other such top drops like Johnnie walker and Chivas Reagal (i love my scotch and gos down great with lemoade) other then that i drink Beer if its a heavy its either a Tooheys New or Victoria Bitter and if i really must buy light beer (heaven forbid) its Cascade premium.
Last party i went to i was drinking the walking Johnnie and lemonade and when my drink got half full a mate tipped some of his tooheys new in there and another mate tipped some of her vodka cruiser lime flavor in it i rember the first thing i said after the taste "ahhh jesus that tastes like shit"...like an ass i skulled because my mates told me too :rolleyes:

Matra et Alpine
02-21-2004, 05:50 AM
that sounds damn delicious.
It's worth a try.
As a malt drinker, it's approaching sacriligious, but with the extortionate prices charged in hotels and bars in the US for run-of-the-mill whisky it keeps my expenses tab down :)
Gerry and I had a quest to teach the Aggravation across America.
So we have one in every hotel and bar we are ever in and teach the bartender how to make it. The biggest problem in US bars is finding the milk !
I've had one guy go down to the 7-11 so he could try it :) :)

Matra et Alpine
02-21-2004, 06:06 AM
my faveorite drink would have to be Black Douglas Scotch
Not one I've heard - may be an export-only malt or blend.
Can you tell me which boittler and distilliery it's from ?
Is it maybe Black Bottle - which is a nice blend from the numerous Islay distilliries - the home of some of the best malts :)

its a good compramise between other such top drops like Johnnie walker and Chivas Reagal
Man, I've just gone through a box of tissues.
I'm sobbing at the thought that the best of the whiskies you can get are JW and CR - they're marketing is great and whisky mediocre :( REMEMBER, there is NO such thing as a BAD whisky :)

(i love my scotch and gos down great with lemoade)
LEMONADE ! LEMONADE !! och man I need to go get another box of tissues. The tears are fair running doon ma cheeks.
Water, man, water, dinnae be pitting ither rrrubbish intae guid whisky !!

Anyway funning aside, whatever you want to mix is fine.
My Dad used to take Irn Bru ( a uniquely Scottish childrens fizzzy beverage mainly made of sugar and CO2 and coloured bright orange - "made in Scotland from girders" )
He didn't get any of my good whiskies for that :)

I feel terrible for you and feel the need to educate you with some really fine whisky.......
What do you prefer, a bite, or smooth, peaty or clear, smoky or mellow ?

Falcon500
02-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Get your box of tissues ready Black Douglas is even cheaper then johnnie walker red label ($25 a bottle and is a hell of alot harsher too)
Ill go down the bottle the lid is black with the label on it.
The label has THE BLACK DOUGLAS delux 100% scotch whiskey aged and blended in scotland on the side it has the story of it which gos the black douglas is a tribute to the ledgendery Sir James Souglas Scotlands mightyest warior, and invicable sourge of northan england. He died in a fierce battle against Spanish forces, swinging his claymore and clutching a silver casket containing the heart of Robert the Bruce, King of scotland and finses how im celebrating by pissing up on this rather cheap beverage :D (well the last ones are my words)
As fior distilery its late at night and the black and gold writing is quite hard to see but the only thing i can muster from it is it sure as hellis imported.
Also rember I am but a poor parts room boy and i dont mix my CR at $50 a bottle its a damn waste to drink it anything but straight :D and some people make do without going into debt to drink 40 year old scotch as well :p
At the pub i have scotch and water, water is free and a single scotch is worth about 2 beers!
I personally like a smoother drink thats why i drink scotch rather then rum like most of my mates so what would you suggest at an affordable price yet is a very good mix? also note i dont mind anything just give us a list and ill try them all providing it is still affordable.

Wheelman
02-21-2004, 07:47 AM
REMEMBER, there is NO such thing as a BAD whisky :)

Oh really? I dare you to try Canadian Club Classic 12 year. It's a blended rye. Personally, that stuff makes me all but retch at the taste. Give it a shot before you say there's no bad whiskey.

NoOne
02-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Tequila - no lime, no salt - although served best as a body shot ... cute "shooter girl" carries test tubes of Tequila around, lick the salt off her neck pull the TT from her cleavage with your teeth and snag the lime from her mouth. Needless to say my fav drink in my pre-marital days. :D

Vodka - (Absolut, Polar Ice, Silent Sam) Ice cold, straight up.

Johnny Walker Black label for Whiskey, Crown Royal for Rye (Canadian Whiskey)

Jagermeister - Ice cold, straight or mixed ... possibly the best drink ever ... save for the next day hangovers.

I'm not much for beer, but Canadian beer has to be the best compromise between the heavy Euro "brews" and that stuff Americans call beer.

NoOne
02-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Oh really? I dare you to try Canadian Club Classic 12. It's a blended rye. Personally, that stuff makes me all but retch at the taste. Give it a shot before you say there's no bad whiskey.
Couldn't agree more, ranks up there with Screech ;)

Wheelman
02-21-2004, 08:10 AM
Tequila - no lime, no salt
Damn right! That's the way tequilla is meant to be drunk. If you need the salt and lime, then you don't actually like the taste of tequilla, and hence you probably shouldn't be drinking it. That's what I always say.

Not that I'd turn down a body shot off a shooter girls neck...;)

Vodka - (Absolut, Polar Ice, Silent Sam) Ice cold, straight up.
One of my favourites. -15 C is the perfect temperature for vodka, if you can get it that cold. But those bottles you listed are kinda pootz. I find them to have a kind of Isopropyl flavour to them, and they're pretty harsh. If you want my advice, next time you're at the L, look for a bottle of vodka called Stolichnaya. It's probably the best vodka I've ever tasted. Or, if you've got some extra cash, go for a bottle of Grey Goose vodka. I promise, try either of those and you'll scoff at Absolut and the like.

Johnny Walker Black label for Whiskey
Harsh! Do you really drink that? I'm with Matra on this one; Johnny Walker is a cause for tears. If that's really what you like, then all power to you. I find that most people drink Johnny Walker until they get the chance to actually try a good scotch. The prices of the good single malts can be intimidating, but try a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, or Glenlivet 12, if you haven't already. It's a good place to start with scotch whisky.

Crown Royal for Rye (Canadian Whiskey)
Aha! There you go! I don't care what anyone says, Crown Royal is just about the best blended rye whiskey you can buy. My friend and I can go all night on a 750ml bottle of Crown. Its smooth, flat taste can't be beat by any other Canadian rye. For those of you across the pond, Crown Royal bears a striking resemblance to Jameson's Irish whisky.

Wheelman
02-21-2004, 08:16 AM
It's worth a try.
As a malt drinker, it's approaching sacriligious, but with the extortionate prices charged in hotels and bars in the US for run-of-the-mill whisky it keeps my expenses tab down :)
Gerry and I had a quest to teach the Aggravation across America.
So we have one in every hotel and bar we are ever in and teach the bartender how to make it. The biggest problem in US bars is finding the milk !
I've had one guy go down to the 7-11 so he could try it :) :)

Well, if a man who enjoys 40 year old scotch says it's worth a try, who am I to turn up my nose a such a drink? I'll have to give it a shot some time.

Wheelman
02-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Couldn't agree more, ranks up there with Screech ;)

And what about those wonderous bourbons the Americans push? Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and the like. Seriously, how do the yanks drink that bilge?

Comunista
02-21-2004, 02:02 PM
johnny walker black isnt bad at all. it tastes great. sure there's a lot of better whiskey out there but frankly, its better than a lot. obviously those who are jaded to it will turn their noses up at it =P but it's still a good drink to have.

i mean cmon, cokes are a buck a 20 oz. bottle, and that's still a great drink!

-but Johnny Walker Red fails IMO.

Comunista
02-21-2004, 02:03 PM
And what about those wonderous bourbons the Americans push? Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and the like. Seriously, how do the yanks drink that bilge?

try some of the longer-aged bourbons. they're way better than the run-of-the-mill Beam. i love em.

Matra et Alpine
02-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Oh really? I dare you to try Canadian Club Classic 12 year. It's a blended rye. Personally, that stuff makes me all but retch at the taste. Give it a shot before you say there's no bad whiskey.
But that's not WHISKY.

With the E it's American, Canadian or Irish.

Only original Scottish Whisky is without the E.

So I repeat, there's no such thng as a bad whisky :)

Falcon500
02-21-2004, 06:02 PM
NoOne you were too nice refering to american beer as stuff i have another word for it and it also happens to start with S....lets just say its swill ill prefer that swampwater XXXX queanslander beer then any of that crap the americans call beer.
I had a mate who spat his tequila when we gave him a shot...his brother was even more of a classic when we gave him a shot of rum and he puked it up :D (they havent heard the end of it).
And interesting drink to try is Sambucca (sorry if i got the spelling wrong) its a licorice tasteing drink and the clear stuff can be set alight...nice drink and really warms you up. Though ive talked to a few americans over the net and they dont seem to have it there...i think its an australia only sort of thing.Also there was a spelling mistake when i was coping off the bottle it is a Whisky not whiskey...ofcourse handeiling the bottle i had to have a swig...then a gulp then a drink...and before i knew iti had an emptyblack douglas and the remains of my johnnie walker red was gone :D

Wheelman
02-21-2004, 09:10 PM
But that's not WHISKY.

With the E it's American, Canadian or Irish.

Only original Scottish Whisky is without the E.

So I repeat, there's no such thng as a bad whisky :)

Thank's for the lesson, dad! ;)

But yeah, given that, I guess you're right. Although Johnny Walker Red makes a pretty good argument against you.

cls12vg30
02-21-2004, 10:59 PM
I've always been a fan of Southern Comfort.

Comunista
02-22-2004, 12:26 AM
NoOne you were too nice refering to american beer as stuff i have another word for it and it also happens to start with S....lets just say its swill ill prefer that swampwater XXXX queanslander beer then any of that crap the americans call beer.
I had a mate who spat his tequila when we gave him a shot...his brother was even more of a classic when we gave him a shot of rum and he puked it up :D (they havent heard the end of it).
And interesting drink to try is Sambucca (sorry if i got the spelling wrong) its a licorice tasteing drink and the clear stuff can be set alight...nice drink and really warms you up. Though ive talked to a few americans over the net and they dont seem to have it there...i think its an australia only sort of thing.Also there was a spelling mistake when i was coping off the bottle it is a Whisky not whiskey...ofcourse handeiling the bottle i had to have a swig...then a gulp then a drink...and before i knew iti had an emptyblack douglas and the remains of my johnnie walker red was gone :D

dude i can set cheap rum alight. i shattered the rim of a shotglass blowing a lit shot out, it was that hot.

Falcon500
02-22-2004, 01:49 AM
dude i can set cheap rum alight. i shattered the rim of a shotglass blowing a lit shot out, it was that hot.
Yeah its easy to do that with alot of grog...try drinkingit while its alight its ok if you drink itas fast as humanly possible...sure makes your guts feelkinda funny though :eek:

Matra et Alpine
02-22-2004, 06:59 AM
interesting drink to try is Sambucca (sorry if i got the spelling wrong) its a licorice tasteing drink and the clear stuff can be set alight...nice drink and really warms you up. Though ive talked to a few americans over the net and they dont seem to have it there...i think its an australia only sort of thing.
It's an italian liqueur from elder tree, elder flower, licquorice, anise and the usual 'special family secret' ingredients.
Like whisky, there are a few different varieties avaible in Italy.
Traditionally drop a coffee bean in the glass before lighting.
I've also had it 'local' by chewing coffe bean, light the Sambuca, blow it out and drink it. GREAT :)
Saying it's an Aussie thing I think it's more accurate to say it's popular wherever Italian emigrants settle. So Scotland has it's devotees. Bound to be a source in the US too :)
Anothe one of the worlds interesting drinks!!!!

Matra et Alpine
02-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Yeah its easy to do that with alot of grog...try drinkingit while its alight its ok if you drink itas fast as humanly possible...sure makes your guts feelkinda funny though :eek:
Going back to Sambuca, I've seen taken into mouth, head back and open wide and THEN it is lit IN THE MOUTH and then drunk.
One I didn't volunteer to do !

Wheelman
02-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Sambuca, eh? An Italian friend of mine here in Toronto introduced me to it. The thing is, he doesn't just have one or two shots of the stuff and continue on with other drinks, he goes all night on Sambuca. Which, if you're not prepared for, will hurt the next day. I actually can't drink the stuff anymore, I find it far too thick and sweet, like a syrop. And the flavour is a little pungent at times. It's an aquired taste, I think.

Comunista
02-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Sambuca, eh? An Italian friend of mine here in Toronto introduced me to it. The thing is, he doesn't just have one or two shots of the stuff and continue on with other drinks, he goes all night on Sambuca. Which, if you're not prepared for, will hurt the next day. I actually can't drink the stuff anymore, I find it far too thick and sweet, like a syrop. And the flavour is a little pungent at times. It's an aquired taste, I think.

it's intersting. see, for you that's more of an acquired taste, as scotch has been for me. i really like sambuca, but then again you know what my cabinet has in it, and how 'syrup'y some of it is by your standard.

crisis
02-22-2004, 05:26 PM
My names Crisis and Im an alchoholic. Not really, oh oh denial, must be then. I am partial to a few different forms of the demon drink. Beer as a staple of course. ( nothing wrong with Cascade ). Whisky (Scotch, Irish and Bourbon) no mixers cept water or ice. ( Lemonade indeed! ). Yes we do get shit Scotch here, the stuff Jock West rejects I suppose , but its probably like the wine we export to everyone else. Love reds. Surpirses me to see how well Jacobs Creek sells in England. Serviceable drop, you understand but really only for use in emegencies. Living in South Australia we get the run of the Barossa, Clare Valley, Southern Vales and Coonawarra. Yeah thats it then Beer, wine and spirits. Damn was that pang in my back a kidney.