PDA

View Full Version : New Holden V8

Mr. Jinx
11-18-2005, 04:22 PM
If you're about to buy a new Holden Commodore SS or V8-powered Calais or Statesman, be warned: Holden is only weeks away from replacing its 5.7-litre engine in favour of a 6.0-litre V8 claimed to deliver a class-leading 264kW of power.
The new engine, codenamed L76, will arrive next month in preparation for stricter emissions regulations that come into force for all new cars sold from January 1 next year.

Drive understands the existing 5.7-litre V8 engine, codenamed LS1 but also known as the Gen III, does not meet the new Euro 3 emissions regulations.
Holden is yet to confirm the L76 for the Commodore. However, Drive sources suggest it will be phased in from late December so Holden dealerships have the new models when the new regulations come into effect.
Significantly, it is not the same 6.0-litre engine fitted to the HSV range. Holden's performance-car division has the 6.0-litre V8 that's used in the latest Corvette. The Holden 6.0-litre (the L76) is an engine primarily designed for truck use, according to Drive sources.
The engine switch also explains why Holden has crammed so much equipment into the Commodore SSZ limited-edition model, with extras such as bigger brakes, leather trim, Bluetooth phone connection - and only a $49,990 price tag. With the arrival of the 6.0-litre Commodore SS, Holden can ramp the price back up to its usual $51,000-plus.
The flagship of General Motors V8 range, the 297kW LS2, will be kept exclusively for the performance HSV models, providing more incentive for buyers to upgrade to the flagship of Holden's performance line-up.

For the number crunchers, the L76's claimed 264kW is 5 per cent more than the 250kW currently squeezed from the 5.7-litre. More importantly for owners, particularly those looking to tow, is the increased engine capacity also has the potential to quell one of the bugbears of the outgoing LS1; lacklustre middle-rev-range performance.
Such output improvements from the new 6.0-litre are also expected to deliver spin-off benefits in fuel consumption, which is crucial as high fuel prices continue to cause headaches for motorists.

The L76 is also expected to appear in other locally made Holden derivatives, such as the Statesman, Caprice and Calais.

As Drive went to press, it was unclear about the future of the V8-powered Adventra four-wheel-drive, which has been a flop since going on sale in late 2003.

Engineering the 6.0-litre L76 for the low-volume Adventra appears to make little sense, given the costs involved.

The arrival of the new L76 V8 engine gives Holden a perfect chance to address one of the major issues of the existing V8 - the clunky four-speed automatic transmission.

Now that rival Ford is offering a world-class six-speed automatic transmission on some models, Holden is under increasing pressure to respond.

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=10684&vf=7&bg=27&pp=0

http://img.drive.com.au/drive_images/Editorial/images/18l76.jpg (javascript:void 0)

Holden is set to fit an all-new V8 engine to its Commodore range by the end of December. Codenamed L76, the all engine displaces 6.0 litres and is also referred to as the Gen IV. (Click on the image above for a larger view).
The fourth generation ”small-block” V8 was initially designed for use in various large off-roaders in the United States, including the Chevrolet

Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade.
As well as providing more power and torque than Holden’s outgoung 5.7-litre LS1/Gen III V8 engine – which was also sourced from the US but can’t be made to meet new emissions regulations coming into effect in Australia in January, 2006 – the new 6.0-litre engine will include displacement on demand technology. The so-called DOD can shut down up to four cylinders when maximum output is not needed to improve fuel economy.

It will also boast variable valve timing, for improved output across the rev range, and could even be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

The Gen IV line-up will also include a range of engine capacities and configurations for use in other models for sale in America. In both iron and aluminium construction, they include capacities of 4.8 litres, 5.3 litres, 6.0 litres and even a 6.2-litre flagship capable of delivering 298kW, which is 1kW more than the current HSV LS2 V8.
A recent press release issued by General Motors disclosed the following details on the new engine.
Engine: 6.0-litre all-aluminium V8
Codename: L76 or Gen IV
Power: 264kW
Transmission: Can be matched to a six-speed automatic
Features include:

Variable valve timing
Displacement On Demand on 5.3L and aluminum-block 6.0L engines
Revised cylinder block design with externally mounted knock sensors
High flow cylinder heads
Electronic throttle control
Enhanced quietness and smoothness
Improved torque for better low-rev performance
Up to 7 per cent fuel economy improvements over the outgoing Gen III
Reduced emissions to help meet new 2006 regulations
http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=10679

yay! me so happy! :D

Spastik_Roach
11-18-2005, 04:33 PM
An American truck V8? lovely..

Mr. Jinx
11-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Don't forget that the Dodge Viper ran with a truck (Ram) engine and gearbox....and that thing is an absolute beast!

mclaren_crazy
11-18-2005, 06:25 PM
actually, the Srt-10 RAm ran with a Viper engine and tranny

Mr. Jinx
11-18-2005, 07:31 PM
um, i've read in a few places that its the other way around.....
...this calls for reasearch!

pimento
11-18-2005, 10:40 PM
The Viper block did start life as a truck engine, but that was way back when it first came about. One would assume now that since the early days of a mere 400bhp from an 8 litre V-10, they've oriented it more towards to Viper. Certainly the large increases in power would suggest such a thing.

As for us getting a truck engine in the conformadores, it's a shame really. Unless they're just calling it a different engine to make the HSVs seem more exclusive, one would thing that they'd just detune the LS2 somewhat, as that would seem like a cheaper option. It would be nice however to see an HSV coupe with the LS7 in it.

SlickHolden
11-19-2005, 03:06 AM
What type of torque does this donk have?.
First Ford now Holden are going to into trucks for engine and parts.
If it comes jan2004 i would be one of the first to grab it in the VZ it would pull the IRS out lol:p

syko
11-19-2005, 08:39 AM
I wonder if this was a pre-planned move seems really sudden considering how big this is. Its been a long time since they have changed v8's at holden.

SlickHolden
11-19-2005, 01:42 PM
After reading that article you can now see it was coming, As they said they have tossed so much into the SSZ's and charge less they are tyring to get out as many Gen3's as they can here and fast.
Like VTII With the Gen3 making it's first appearance lets hope there are no issues with it first up, But they should have all fixed by VE.

Hey Hey Wait a tick now the VY going around with quad pipes might make sence a little now not only where they testing the Zeta they had the 6Lt in it they have had this engine in the VE since the start. And it's in the VY's for sure.
But will there be a Series 2 VZ ?? or just a 1.5 series update???.

And knowing Holden if that egine is 264kw it will be around 250kw for the VZ if in it. They won't change to much in power till VE.

crisis
11-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Up capacity for better fuel economy and emmisions? Sweet! Hopefully they use the VVT version.

syko
11-20-2005, 11:53 PM
here's a thought, maybe holden got this new engine just so they can compete in next years pcoty :p

SlickHolden
11-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Maybe they are tight when it comes to that arn't they:p.

Being such a new Donk from GM i wonder if holden has been one of there testers for the engine all along?

adrenaline
11-21-2005, 05:14 AM
Its only 4Kw infront of the Boss's 260..does anybody know the torque...i couldnt see it there...

anyhow..i look forward to seeing the power of the gen IV in the VE HSVs...once theyve tuned it correctly..i heard it could be around 320-330...omg!!

btw does anyody know if fpv replacing their boss290 anytime within the next few years...cos if they cant squeeze anything else from it then their gonna get ripped by the HSVs..theyll have atleast 30kw more...and truckloads of torque....

If fpv aren't going to replace the boss engine before 2008/9 then their gonna need Jesus.....

SlickHolden
11-21-2005, 06:47 AM
I wish i knew the torque also they only say it's got better mid range then the Gen3.
I think DJ got 320 and with the 6 speed auto it will go allright till the new Falcon comes out.;).

Evil Ewok
11-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Yea, the V10 was in the Ram 2500 and I think special order 3500's. It was an alternative to the Diesel Cummins engine in the early to mid 90's. The engine is basically an entirely different design from the engine in the viper and srt10, but it shares the same platform I guess. I want to move to aussie land :O, you all get the beast's of the ford and gm side. Gm's going topside up here, 30,000 jobs being laid off, 9 plants closed, and 4 billion in profits lost. Buh!

Mr. Jinx
11-21-2005, 11:44 PM
GM down-under isnt too flash either.....1400 jobs just got axed (or was that 4000?)

SlickHolden
11-22-2005, 12:22 AM
I want to move to Aussie land :O, you all get the beast's of the ford and GM side.
Over in the states every GM subsidiary is looked upon as GM. But here it's not the same we call them Holden;).

Cyco
11-22-2005, 04:49 AM
Anyone else want to chip in if I have a talk to see if GM would object if we brought Holden back home?

SlickHolden
11-22-2005, 05:20 AM
I'd chip in for sure:D
Lets rescue holden from the dark side:p

Blue Supra
11-22-2005, 05:26 AM
Sounds tough, torque figures should be interesting if it was made for a truck, im predicting lots of low down 1500 - 2500rpm torque.

SlickHolden
11-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Lots of burning tyres:p
Even if only up 5% on torque and mid range is better everyone will be happy:D.
Holden has been testing this engine in VT-VY's for a wile. Remember the quad Exhaust wagon on the way to the U.S;)

Blue Supra
11-22-2005, 05:35 AM
damn that car looked tough! i want one :D

if its pulling what i think it should (for being out a truck) theyll fry REAL easy!

SlickHolden
11-22-2005, 10:49 AM
That's why i think the VZ if with 6LT will be the fastest factory V8 holden has done and the VE wont come close to it.
It might be like the VN-VP they were faster then all commmodores till the VZ SV6 came out.
It might pull out some stumps lol i'd trade in my VZ SS for the 6LT VZ SS fast:p.

nota
11-24-2005, 08:34 PM
um, i've read in a few places that its the other way around.....
...this calls for reasearch!
IIRC the alloy Viper engine debuted before the iron Ram V10 :p

Both are a development of Mopar smallblock, basically a 360 with 2 pots added

nota
11-24-2005, 08:42 PM
I wonder if this was a pre-planned move seems really sudden considering how big this is. Its been a long time since they have changed v8's at holden.
Hey its only been 5 years since Holden replaced the Holden-built V8 with LS1

The old Holden V8 (1968-2000) was around for 32 years!

crisis
11-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I'd chip in for sure:D
Lets rescue holden from the dark side:p
Only if we can use their motors.;)

Cyco
11-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Just to give you guys something to chew on when wanting to buy a company this big (atempted this once before) is VERY deep pockets are needed.

Pre purchase costs run at around $50-75k/month and expect it to drag out over 6-9 months. At this point you may decide that is not a good buy.......

Also most of the guys you want to work with because they are the best at this can't (IMHO) be trusted out of your sight........

syko
11-25-2005, 05:00 AM
Hey its only been 5 years since Holden replaced the Holden-built V8 with LS1

The old Holden V8 (1968-2000) was around for 32 years!

seems way longer somehow

SlickHolden
11-25-2005, 05:34 AM
Only if we can use their motors.;)
Yeah we will need to come up with some type of deal there with them.
10% of the Profit and in return we get the engines and supply them the V6 at 20% less discount then before but get the V8's of our choice 30% cheaper then before.. Sound good??:)
And they will chip in 30% of development cost on future RWD architecture which they can use in GM's family With slight discount;).
We will also agree to let in some of the small and medium Korean bombs i mean cars:p. And 3 U.S built GM cars.
We will allow SAAB to work out of our HQ still for a small rent:D.
We can help GM with future car designs but in return get all the Gearboxes that they have cheaper then before:D

Sound tight:p

I would love to see Holden build a OHC V8 again but this time get it into production.