PDA

View Full Version : The AutoBahn

Niko_Fx
02-19-2004, 01:37 PM
I found this info posted on www.rapidcars.com and seemed pretty interesting.

"We've all heard it before from the police, driver's ed classes, defensive driving classes, government officials, and many more that speed kills and the way to be safe on the road is to have low speed limits. Then tell me why then is the Autobahn, at which traffic averages 120 MPH, the safest highway in the world. In fact, the autobahn goes as far as to have absolutely no speed limit through parts of it. Speed doesn't kill, bad drivers do. Why is the autobahn safer than most US highways when the average speed is twice the legal limit? There are many reasons which will be pointed out in the links below but I'll give you a basic summary. It's highly maintained and always in excellent condition. Passing is only allowed on the left and things such as cellphones and eating while driving are strictly enforced. Drunk driving is not tolerated at all and can result in losing your license forever. This page was created to educate people about the speed limit and how there should be an autobahn in the US. I didn't realize until recently just how safe the autobahn is and I would bet less than 1% of America realizes this. This will probably not be a reality as the government cares more about revenue from speeding tickets than the actual safety of its citizens on the roads. I am by no means saying that you should be going 150 mph on your local highway but if the highway system was redone correctly, we would have less accidents and fatalities while allowing drivers to reach their destinations faster and also helping out the economy."

PeeArr
02-19-2004, 09:52 PM
The no speed limit zones are getting smaller and smaller every year, however.

Comunista
02-20-2004, 12:33 AM
we would have safer roads if we had the much more stringent licensing requirements that Germany has, as well as the high costs for getting a licesnse.

i guarantee you if we had such laws as Germany there'd either be a hell of a lot fewer people on US roads, or a hell of a lot better drivers on US roads. most people dont need to know almost shit to start driving here.

NoOne
02-20-2004, 06:29 AM
This topic has been covered previously, see HERE (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1326&page=1&pp=15) for a lot of good info and opinions.

I will merge the two threads in a few days due to their relevance.