PDA

View Full Version : GM to close 9 plants says CEO.

Dino Scuderia
11-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Sad but necessary to stay afloat.

GM to Cut 30,000 Jobs, Close 9 Plants

By DEE-ANN DURBIN

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. announced plans Monday to cut 30,000 manufacturing jobs and close nine North American assembly, stamping and powertrain plants by 2008 as part of an effort to get production in line with demand.

Rick Wagoner, chairman and CEO of the world's largest automaker, announced the closures during a speech to employees from GM's Detroit headquarters before the financial markets opened.

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

eltrono
11-21-2005, 08:52 AM
GM to Cut 30,000 Jobs
!!!!:eek:
thats crazyy that is a lot of people, i feel sorry for them
i just have a question how come did all the big companies of autos are coming in bad financial situation since a couple or years? they have had really bad years but why?

Dino Scuderia
11-21-2005, 09:10 AM
GM to Cut 30,000 Jobs
!!!!:eek:
thats crazyy that is a lot of people, i feel sorry for them
i just have a question how come did all the big companies of autos are coming in bad financial situation since a couple or years? they have had really bad years but why?

It's been a long time coming, besides losing market share every year GM has too much retirement debt. Bending to the UAW all these years has in effect turned them into a giant healthcare company which costs them 6 billion dollars per year.

No amount of possible sales can dig them out of this hole.

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Producing good quality cars that match the market sold well and maximised profitability MIGHT have made a difference.

Dino Scuderia
11-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Producing good quality cars that match the market sold well and maximised profitability MIGHT have made a difference.

Agreed. They resisted too long making the effort it takes to make a mundane sedan like the Accord and Camry with equal refinement and appeal. It's now too late to regain that lost market share.

werty
11-21-2005, 09:34 AM
maybe they should stop making cars like the HHR and bring back the camaro;)

Dino Scuderia
11-21-2005, 09:39 AM

The HHR(Hopelessly Homely Retro) is selling very well actually so it isn't the problem.

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2005, 09:51 AM
The HHR(Hopelessly Homely Retro) is selling very well actually so it isn't the problem.
Selling well against which forecast ?

It was originally forecast to be 100K units a year, they dropped that to 60,000 in June !

So is selling well meaning the 60,000 forecast ? ( which is really abysmal against the oroginal plans, plans which will have determined the features and target price/profit :( )

PerfAdv
11-21-2005, 10:21 AM
The people have voted with their dollars and GM has lost. Is Toyota now the biggest auto manufacturer?

eltrono
11-21-2005, 10:30 AM
im guessing that the asians are rowing a lot economically, they ar exporting a lot of things so maybe an asian country could be the next empire like the us is right know wich it could not e omething good :s:confused:

Dino Scuderia
11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Selling well against which forecast ?

It was originally forecast to be 100K units a year, they dropped that to 60,000 in June !

So is selling well meaning the 60,000 forecast ? ( which is really abysmal against the oroginal plans, plans which will have determined the features and target price/profit :( )

They adjusted the to forecast a more 'modest' forecast which does'nt mean sales are bad or that it isn't a profit maker. I see a lot of them on the road in my travels.

werty
11-21-2005, 02:43 PM
thats is so odd, i dont see why anyone would buy it, its so lame! isnt the horsepower like 100 or so:p

Matra et Alpine
11-21-2005, 03:02 PM
They adjusted the to forecast a more 'modest' forecast which does'nt mean sales are bad or that it isn't a profit maker. I see a lot of them on the road in my travels.
The change to a lower forecast was VERY late int eh development cycle.
So when they were designing this car, planning the production, setting the produciton up they had the higher figure forecast.
SO when you THEN make 40% LESS then you seriously hurt profit.
Of course by late adjustment of forecast you neatly avoid the market claiming poor sales as the marketing bods will say how close to forecast or even exceeding it !!
Trust me, I've designed and sold a few dogs in my time. It's the way bean-counters need you to engage "business-speak" :)

Dino Scuderia
11-21-2005, 03:24 PM
The change to a lower forecast was VERY late int eh development cycle.
So when they were designing this car, planning the production, setting the produciton up they had the higher figure forecast.
SO when you THEN make 40% LESS then you seriously hurt profit.
Of course by late adjustment of forecast you neatly avoid the market claiming poor sales as the marketing bods will say how close to forecast or even exceeding it !!
Trust me, I've designed and sold a few dogs in my time. It's the way bean-counters need you to engage "business-speak" :)

I agree, it is 'business speak'. Let's find some actual sales figures and see where it stands.

Prius
11-21-2005, 04:18 PM
I heard that GM's game plan it to fix up their SUV line and lay off work.

great idea.

carsnut
11-21-2005, 04:35 PM
GM cut jobs because they were losing money thanks to honda, toyota and all those other Japanese. they didn't want to pay the wage

carsnut
11-21-2005, 04:36 PM
-30,000 jobs and -9 plants. This can only mean one thing.

GM IS GONNA GO BUST IN A FEW YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad :

PerfAdv
11-21-2005, 05:24 PM
GM cut jobs because they were losing money thanks to honda, toyota and all those other Japanese. they didn't want to pay the wage
Losing money thanks to Honda and Toyota. You make it sound like they are forcing people to buy their cars. Americans choose to buy about 500,000 each of the Accord and Camry, another 300,000 Civics. Just those three models add upto more than a million cars.

The General is suffering because their product hasn't kept pace. Upto the 1950s they had the best cars. The 60s were the trasition decade and ever since then its been all down hill.

-30,000 jobs and -9 plants. This can only mean one thing.

GM IS GONNA GO BUST IN A FEW YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad :
Would you and your entire family start buying GM if it'd save them?

I saw a sticker some time ago. It was point at recently laid off auto workers. It read: "Hungry? eat your foreign car". But still Americans choose to buy foreign.

werty
11-21-2005, 06:38 PM
But still Americans choose to buy foreign.
in alot of cases it is because the Japanese cars are built better and with better materials...if they(GM) would stop wasting there money paying their workers(and by work i mean the guy who bolts doors on all day) $28/hr, maybe they could afford to make the cars out of... idno... maybe steel instead of plastic;)

still, that HHR is ugly! does anyone here like it?

Juggs
11-21-2005, 08:38 PM
word on the street is the janesville WI plant near my house is going to be one of the ones cut. they make all the SUV's here and you wouldnt believe how many are piling up in the parking lots. their running out of places to put them cuz their selling so slow

SupraMan22
11-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Where about are these plants closing? And toyota is slowley making its way over to the US if im correct. Trucks are made in California, and also here in Indiana. As for the cars I'm not sure. Making it less and less Jap. but still is its natural origin. (not arguing, just stating :) ). But since toyota was the 2nd biggest, i would assume if GM loses sales, toyota would take the spot. Eventually. And i think a test or survey was taken for satisfaction (located in a newspaper, not sure where. The paper was on my fathers desk at his dealership.). But toyota was among the top 5, actually I think it was first. Just a little crap. Sorry. lol

I hate the HHR. Seriously

QBridge
11-23-2005, 01:10 AM
GM to Cut 30,000 Jobs
!!!!
No Xbox 360 for you.

SupraMan22
11-23-2005, 09:21 PM
No Xbox 360 for you.

Since that was said, and obviously no one else has anything to say. Does anyone have a X Box 360?

Dan Flynn
11-24-2005, 12:07 AM
And to think, way back in the day, the government almost went after GM for being a monopoly. The market has a way of taking care of that.

SlickHolden
11-24-2005, 12:12 AM
GM To close there plant factory's?? I always knew they needed to cut back on the marry jane:p. To many samples from the boss's:D.

There is only one way for GM to survive this and it starts by accepting others others ways etc, They need to start building cars that attract the overseas buyers as much as NA.
They need to look deep into there subsidiary's and grab some good cars to start a new family car market.
Maybe whats good for the U.S isn't so good for GM all the time, Time they started building cars for everyone cause people are all different we don't have the same taste.;)

Holden here has suffered the GM chop. They have laid of workers and took 45% of the cars parts to overseas company's. WHY?.. Holden is strong here very strong they build plenty of cars and make money along the way as everyone does sooner or later they come second to the Toyota machine but not by a great deal but still make money. So why all the cut back? It's what GM needs.
So Holden imports cars that will not make it here in this country and will just waste money but thats what GM want. But don't they need to save money:)

pAinTrAin
11-26-2005, 10:37 AM

Rumor has it the camaro will be back in 2007 with a LS2 under the hood:D

sunk
12-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Isn't it amazing they accounted for 48% of US GDP in '51 and now.......?