PDA

View Full Version : Carrera GT drifting on mountain road.

McReis
11-25-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't know if this is a repost. If it is I'm sorry.
This is some exhuberant performance of a motoring journalist with a CGT. That sound is absolutely amazing!

http://rapidshare.de/files/7817566/Carrera_GT_Mountain_Drifting.wmv.html

drakkie
11-25-2005, 06:40 AM
our xsara has driven there too :D the road is in Austria :)

the host says something about the specifications(including a traction control which he obviously has turned off:)), compares it with the 550 spider, and tells the (in germany) famous racing driver Walter Roerhl has helped setting up the car. he also tells it handles quite well, nd that with using minimal force you can correct the rear end.

Matra et Alpine
11-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Where precisely ?

Zondaboy1
11-25-2005, 07:49 AM
pretty cool. obviously drifting in the CGT doesnt require much attention
that road looks like a fun drive

drakkie
11-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Where precisely ?

it is near the grossglockner hochalpenstrasse. i think it is called tannenstrasse or something like that. i will look it up tonight.

Matra et Alpine
11-25-2005, 08:11 AM
pretty cool. obviously drifting in the CGT doesnt require much attention
or he's an exceptionally good driver ?

Spot how he puts large wheel input in to get the back to break away, he is MAKING the car drift rather than driving it much faster and the car breaking into oversteer beyodn the limit.
Also a bit of heel and toe to maintain the balance.

Piacki_117
11-25-2005, 08:13 AM

My laguna too:) !

spi-ti-tout
11-25-2005, 08:14 AM
or he's an exceptionally good driver ?
Nedell not caring for attention for once aye :D

Piacki_117
11-25-2005, 08:34 AM
greeeeeeaaaaaaat video!!!!!! on of the greatest I've ever seen!!!!

NoOne
11-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Awesome video !!!! .... nice seeing a car being put thru its paces by the press instead of the usual "dog show" type posturing (Stig track time exempted :) )

McReis
11-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Awesome video !!!! .... nice seeing a car being put thru its paces by the press instead of the usual "dog show" type posturing (Stig track time exempted :) )

At least this guy did it with no margin for error. It's no a plain field. There are terrifying walls and cliffs there! The guy has to be sure of what he's doing.

11-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Nice, and my scanty German gave me an idea of what he said

Matra et Alpine
11-25-2005, 11:03 AM
I have the problem in that he's a Tiff-type ( and also Clarkson !! )

Showing how good a car is by getting it to drift.
That's NOT the same as taking the car to the limit and is inherently easier and safer.

Course you'd have to be suicidal lunatic to want to take that car to 100% on those roads !! Especially the corners they went over multiple times where you coudl see the dirt they dragged into the line :D

ScionDriver
11-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Good video. I love the sound of that engine. Man I want one.

Niko_Fx
11-25-2005, 11:19 AM
The CGT is absolutely amazing... and that engine... gosh, I love that sound.

Rijoh
11-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Must be awesome to climb on those moutains and suddenly hear that V10 sound from the road down under:)

netburner
11-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Sadly you can't hear much of the engine when you are inside the car and the roof is on it... Hope I can hear it when we drive it next summer to a little photo shoot :) (and when you are asking which car I'm talking about look at my avatar or search the Carrera GT thread in the hide-out :) )

ZeTurbo
11-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Great Video.
Love the sound of that engine.

magracer
11-29-2005, 11:25 AM
The guy isn't that much of a driver, he has no flow... maybe one of his drifts was spot on. Not that I could do them better...

I agree with M&A in that driving at the limit and drifting are totally different things, but, at least JC does it fluently. This guy's driving looks twitchy to say the least.

Now, the sound made the download worth it. Heavenly.

McReis
11-29-2005, 11:30 AM
The guy isn't that much of a driver, he has no flow...

God help you for having the guts of saying such a thing! How much guys do you know that could ever feel confident and brave enough to trash a car like that between walls and cliffs? On what do you base your judgements? Are you a professional driver? Do you usually drive RWD cars with more than, say, 250bhp?

Enjoy the silence!

PerfAdv
11-29-2005, 11:39 AM
The guy isn't that much of a driver, he has no flow... maybe one of his drifts was spot on. Not that I could do them better...

I agree with M&A in that driving at the limit and drifting are totally different things, but, at least JC does it fluently. This guy's driving looks twitchy to say the least.

Now, the sound made the download worth it. Heavenly.
The driver is showing how controllable the CGT is, by producing different angles of slip. This is so the car can be pointed in the correct direction. It does look like he's overdoing the drifting but it is a demo of the car so maybe that's what a lot of people would want to see. Instead of a Porsche INC. video with the car cruising effortlessly.

PBB
11-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Great video! It's really distracting to listen to the driver talk in German though. It's easy to ignore what JC says because I can understand that most of it is rubbish. :p Listening to that CGT driver makes me want to learn German.

magracer
11-29-2005, 07:16 PM
God help you for having the guts of saying such a thing! How much guys do you know that could ever feel confident and brave enough to trash a car like that between walls and cliffs? On what do you base your judgements? Are you a professional driver? Do you usually drive RWD cars with more than, say, 250bhp?

Enjoy the silence!

If you had read two sentences later, I said "Not that I could do them better...". Furthermore, every one is entitled to their opinion and I'm guessing that includes me.. does it? If you think the guy drives like god and should be beating Alonso in F1, Loeb in WRC AND Rossi in MotoGP, good for you! :cool:

Watch the Elise at Bathurst video (in this sub-forum), that's driving!!! The guy in the CGT is drifting (not even, "power oversteering") and I rate that lower. Again, MY OPINION.

Finally, about being confident and brave enough, consider this guy doesn´t own the car, nor is he paying for damage if he inflicts some... hell, I could be confident and brave enough any day of the week if I was in his place!

Now I'll sit in the corner and enjoy the silence! :cool:

Edit: To see more real driving Google this video: 2005_gemenos_castellana.wmv

my porsche
11-29-2005, 07:42 PM
a few points with the video:

he said top speed is 220, its 205...
what did he say about small children near the end?

other than that it was a pretty good video, although him trying to drift around every damn corner got old

McReis
11-30-2005, 05:23 AM
Now I'll sit in the corner and enjoy the silence! :cool:

Good, because your arguments are a complete nonsense. But we don't need to keep this up. We'll agree in something else one of this days. :cool:

MrKipling
11-30-2005, 05:46 AM
You can always tell someone who hasn't had much experience with driving powerful cars. And I am certainly not talking about that video.

Having said that, he is driving like a bit of a hooligan - listen to the tires. It should be a smooth, consistent squeal - on most of his entries he's a bit 'all over the shop' and he hasn't got enough angle for it to be really classed as 'drifting', he just sliding the car about.

Having said that, this is probably the first time he's driven that car so fair play and some of the slides are very, very sweet.

Also, all that crap about Journos not having to care about the car they're in is bollocks. Or crap. There's only one person who can really do what he likes and that's Jeremy Clarkson. I've tested quite a few cars (see avitar) and believe me, I don't sleep the night before if it's a particularly tough car.

MrKipling
11-30-2005, 05:49 AM
He's going very slowly too.

MrKipling
11-30-2005, 05:53 AM
His hairpin lines are appalling too

McReis
11-30-2005, 05:55 AM
I agree with most of your words. Please avoid making 3 posts in a row. If you want to ad something to what you just said, edit the previous post. Thanks! ;)

Matra et Alpine
11-30-2005, 06:13 AM
MrK, he is almost certainly a VERY capable driver.
Otherwise you'd not control a CGT like that.
He is putting on a SHOW for the cameras.
Judging him based on that is like judging Tiff Needell based on him chucking cars around. You do that for show not for go :D
"first time driven" ?? YOU SERIOUS ????
ah well it brought a smile to my day :D

McReis
11-30-2005, 06:16 AM
It sure doesn't seem like the first time he is driving it...

MrKipling
11-30-2005, 07:05 AM
Yeah I am serious. Sliding a car around when you're only doing 20mph is really not that impressive in a supercar - if it can be stable through the S-bend following the straight at the 'Ring doing 190mph, imagine how easy it would be at running pace!

Drifting aside, his line through hairpins looks like a computer game line - it's just wrong.

His braking is shoddy to say the least (look how much the car is squirming) and listen to the tires when he's just pushing through corners - it should be an even, consistent squeal, he's far from that which is what leads me to believe he doesn't have much experience with the car or is not that good. It's not that hard, I was drifting a Ferrari 430 first time out - if he was doing 100mph, i'd be impressed. He's competent, nothing more.

See. it's not that hard - that's me driving in those pics...

MrKipling
11-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Oh yeah, one more thing, listen to his throttle control - Bleurgh! lets drift round this bend – Bwaaaaarp bwaarp bwaaaarp bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp bwarp. Nasty.

McReis
11-30-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm glad there are so many driving experts in this forums.

Matra et Alpine
11-30-2005, 09:23 AM
MrK, will you PLEASE take it on board that he was DELIBERATELY doing that for the item ??

You are demonstrating a level of stupidity if you think he would drive that way normally. He's doing it for the show. Jsut as Clarkson gets cars sideways at every opportunity. If you want to show fast then dont' drive like that JC ! 5th Gear is best for showign it, Tiff chucks the car around liek mad and THEN drives it for a hot lap and totally different lines, braking and throttle.

Oh and on throttle control, THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO to keep an inherently stable car unstable :D

PS: when your only 2 wheel drifting you've lost time already !!

magracer
11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
You are demonstrating a level of stupidity if you think he would drive that way normally

Hmmm, this is getting hot... I'm outta here!!! :D :D :D

On a more serious note, I think we are all aware his is not driving the car 10/10ths but trying to slide it around (for show); we are precisely trying to evaluate (very very subjectively) if he is good at it or not.

Peace!!!

MrKipling
12-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Look - I appreciate that he's doing it for the camera, but he could at least make it smooth. You don't have to drive like a fool to get a car sideways - just look at the D1 drift boys or any rally driver who's playing about.

All I'm saying is that what he's doing isn't that difficult and judging by the way he's approaching what he's trying to do - he ain't that hot.

Matra et Alpine
12-01-2005, 08:41 AM
I;'m confused you KNOW he's doing it for the camer a and then you want him to do it different ?

Wonder who knows his target audience better ??? :D
( it sounds like the anti-Clarkson diatribes we here from some non-Brits. JC knows what makes TG a fun program and delivers it )

What he's doing IS difficult on open roads with 200ft drops and armco barrier 5 feet away. It DOES make a HUGE difference when there is a nice run-off area and gravel trap around :D

By talking about his "approach" I'm confused. He is deliberately making an inherently stable car unstable. Are you prehaps comparing this with drift comps where the cars are set up to drift That's an entirely different beast and not comparable :)

MrKipling
12-02-2005, 11:34 AM
hey hey hey woah hey hey woah. hey. woah. Clarkson rules.

It is possible to make a stable car unstable with progresive inputs - you just have to be good.

Matra et Alpine
12-02-2005, 03:02 PM
hey hey hey woah hey hey woah. hey. woah. Clarkson rules.

It is possible to make a stable car unstable with progresive inputs - you just have to be good.
erm, have you TRIED it on a narrow road with a BIG drop.
Good for focussing the mind, it's easy to get "progressive" and run at 99% no tracks. Definately a different matter on alpine roads, tree-lined routes and forest stages :D

To get a car to break you need to exceed the grip. To do that in a STABLE car with progressive input then you HAVE to take the car to the design limit on it's grip and THAT happens at MUCH higher speeds. That means a couple of things ...

first, you wont get break at lower safer speeds
second, when it DOES break it may go on the front OR the rear OR BOTH :D
third, when it does go you've no space left to bring it back in.
fourth, it is NEVER spectacular as break-away at 101% needs VERY quick recovery and that means barely noticable "drift"
fifth, fanboys think the movies show how fast cars handle :D So "real" handlign won't seem fast or spectacular or difficult to them :D

TVR IS KING
12-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Well then, I finally saw the movie at my friends house.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
He likes cars, but he isn't really an enthusiast...He was gasping in awe as I was.
:D it was great IMO.

MrKipling
12-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Does a barrier count? In a car that's not mine?

Or trees? trees must count.

holahola
05-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Hola Guys...the file has been deleted.

TVR IS KING
05-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Hahaha now that's a bump. I remember, I still had dial up internet when this thread was made, I remember watching it on my friends broadband. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2-juvfMG8k
That's the vid :)