PDA

View Full Version : GT Legends

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 06:35 AM
To not go off topic any further in the Magny Cours thread, here is a new thread discussing this marvelous game. For those of you still in the unkwown check this out: http://www.gt-legends.com/

Warning 1: It's highly addictive.
Note 2: It's very advanced so a pretty good system is required.
Note 3: To get good lap times a wheel and pedals also required, but it greatly increases the fun!

A demo with two tracks, and three cars is available here:
http://www.gt-legends.com/demo_en.php

If there is sufficient interest we could start our own league and race each other online.

spi-ti-tout
11-29-2005, 06:41 AM
If there is sufficient interest we could start our own league and race each other online.
*searches for old iceTech wheel and pedals*

Coventrysucks
11-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Its on my Christmas list.

Been playing the demo with the keyboard, and it seems much easier to do than GTR.

I spend a silly ammount of time moving across the country so I don't have space to pack a wheel, which is a bit of a pain sometimes.

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Some screenshots of the first two laps of my most recent race. I'm in the white/yellow/green Lotus starting from pole. The powerful Corvette rumbled past me in the first few meters so I had to go chase him.

Clivey
11-29-2005, 06:52 AM
The screenshots look awesome, anybody upto reviewing the game? Realistic handling? Selection of cars? etc.

I would have tried the demo when I got home from college but 1.My girlfriend's coming round and 2. It'd mean leaving my room and going downstairs to use the Windows comp (shock, horror)!!! lol

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 06:55 AM
screw it, im getting an 18% bonus from work, might aswell spend it wisely

current best at the GP track in the lotus:

i wanna be the first one under 1.33.000 :)

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 06:58 AM
The screenshots look awesome, anybody upto reviewing the game? Realistic handling? Selection of cars? etc.

Right now I have only played the demo, but the full game is ordered. The only car I sampled is the Lotus Elan, for sentimental reasons, and the only track is the Dijon GP track. We all remember the legendary Arnoux / Villeneuve battle and I have now found out that the track contributed to that as well. The elevation changes and not straightforward corners allow for a number of lines. Having never driven a Lotus Elan, I can't tell much about realism, but the fun factor is very high. It's not as high strung as GTR or GP Legends, but instead offers some margin for error -> powerslides etc. The full game will have over 90 cars available ranging from Minis and Cortinas to CSLs and GT40s. I can't wait to get it!

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 07:01 AM
current best at the GP track in the lotus:

i wanna be the first one under 1.33.000 :)

It's definitely possible, but today I did not get any faster than 1:33.022. Although a lap later I already got 0.2 faster first sector.

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 07:09 AM
A little review after my first impressions:
for people who dont want to spend hours and hours to be able to controll a car in a game (like GTR and GPL), this game offers alot of fun. You can be reasonably fast if you are a mediocre driver, and because of this, overtaking and racing becomes more fun (outbraking in GTR is very hard due to the realism of the brakes and track grip)

so for anybody who wants to see how fast he is compared to the No1 Driver of the UCP racing team, give it a go ;)

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 07:28 AM
1:32.456

drakkie
11-29-2005, 07:37 AM
i might as well re-install the demo again :D no money to get the full version though :(

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 07:39 AM
By the time the likes of the Pantera, Healey and GT40 are in your hands the brkaing becomes a little more "serious". THe 906 really needs a clutch to get the downchange right :(

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Roy just went out and bought it.

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 08:06 AM
great. ( 'cept how he'll embarrass me in classics as well as modern :D )

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 08:18 AM
great. ( 'cept how he'll embarrass me in classics as well as modern :D )

Do you think you can set up a server to host this ?

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 08:20 AM
the attempt on GTR failed, but I'll talk to Roy and we'll see. Catch up on MSN when we can all discuss .......

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 08:23 AM
the attempt on GTR failed, but I'll talk to Roy and we'll see. Catch up on MSN when we can all discuss .......

That sounds like a plan. First I need to get the full game though.

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 08:59 AM
my first race :)

Expert Mode
all mini's
Mondello Park Short

Placed second with a descent 40.738 (pole was 40.721), but i couldnt be bothered to go for pole, since i just wanted to get some screens to show wouter :)

Picture 1
the field, me in the little orange mini

Picture 2
Awesome clutch controll if i may say so, look at the lightning quick start!

Picture 3
A nice picture with a view of the field (all behind me muhahaha!)

Picture 4
They all want to be like Agent Orange

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 09:02 AM
we continu the race with a little mistake done by myself

picture 5
thats not the way to take that corner!

Picture 6
Oh oh, a rare sight, someone outbraking me!

Picture 7
better go for it now, only 1 lap left!

Picture 8
Pure perfection ;)

first race, first win :D

btw, the screens look crappy compared to the game

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 09:03 AM
how do you take screen shots in GTL ?
I'll post some of the Pantera and GT40 drifting :D

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 09:04 AM
how do you take screen shots in GTL ?
I'll post some of the Pantera and GT40 drifting :D

just like in GTR :rolleyes:

press f12, and look in the GTL main folder

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 09:19 AM
just like in GTR :rolleyes:

press f12, and look in the GTL main folder

Or pause the replay, go to full screen and hit the print-screen button. That gives a better result than the F12 option.

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Here is the real car:

6speed
11-29-2005, 09:38 AM
That games grafix look terrible.

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 09:40 AM

It looks much better when you are actually playing it and the sound is unbelievably cool. See for youreself:

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 09:52 AM
The snapshots posted are only 800x600.
The game goes out to 1600x1200x32 at 120Hz refresh and full anti-aliasing.

Sadly the grab only seems to pull the 24 bit colour depth :(
Also it uses jpeg compression to reduce the image size to approx 200Kb.
So even my attached 1600x1200 ones show artefacts that aren't there :(

It's always worth being careful before making comparisons.
Manufacturers will produce images BETTER than real life in their sales literature and released "grabs" for reviews :(

Those are all worse than on screen :D

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 10:08 AM
It looks much better when you are actually playing it and the sound is unbelievably cool. See for youreself:
you will wet yourself once you hear the GT40 and the 906 :D

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 10:14 AM
the grabs suck, i had to resize them, but the graphics are stunning in the game.

btw, the darn ai stepped up a notch, cant even get close on anderstorp!

spi-ti-tout
11-29-2005, 10:17 AM
THe 906 really needs a clutch to get the downchange right :(
It doesn't have one at all or is it crappy?

Here is the real car
I think they got the colour a bit off in the game, notice it's more reddish-orange than orange-orange in real life.

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 10:27 AM
It doesn't have one at all or is it crappy?
It has but rear engine you want to blip the throttle, feather the clutch on downchange and get the weight retained over the rears on entering a corner. The automatic clutch works fine but there is only one down-change point. I used to have a second set of pedals on gameport (pre XP :( ) and used one of the pedals as a clutch in other games. We'll see.

I think they got the colour a bit off in the game, notice it's more reddish-orange than orange-orange in real life.
Well it depends on whether the picture was taken with Agfa film or Kodak as Agfa is more redish hue to it.
Welcome to the world of PANTONE :D Is your screen set up with a spread spectrum colour match ?? No ? Well it's dangerous to assume hues - especially as the colour was reduced from 32 to 24 bit AND jpeg compression affecst colour too :D

dimlight
11-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Is that like one of those undergroudn racing games, looks great and never heard of it :confused:

PerfAdv
11-29-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm downloading the Demo but I only have 256MB RAM so I don't think it's going to run, well. :(

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Is that like one of those undergroudn racing games, looks great and never heard of it :confused:

welcome to the world of Sim racing ;)

most sim racing games remain unheard of, since they are to hard for the mayority of the crowd, and being snowed over by NFS and consorts.

VtecMini
11-29-2005, 10:53 AM
How does it compare to say, Live for speed?

Pando
11-29-2005, 10:56 AM
I've been trying to resist this game for a long time since I really don't use the computer for playing. What kind of wheels are you guys using and how much do they go for? I pretty much know the general price fork but are the differences as big as on consoles, where only the most expensive ones(+100€) were decent and the only options worth considering?

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm on an old MS FF wheel I fell in love with YEARS ago, nice pedals, nice feel. So much so that when XP support for gameport was dubious I picked ANOTHER one up - this time USB - on eBay for $40 so I've plenty of spare parts just in case too :D
Always fancied an ACT wheel but they've gone quiet and not sure of their stability as a company. Used an ECCE (sp?) wheel once which was superb, but no FF, AND it had cost as much as my PC !!!!

As a bit of fun, here's a vid clip of me braking for Variante Della Roggia at Monza in the 906. Sorry for quality, just used cheap digi cam video pointed at screen ( you can see the red dot from the auto-focus !! ). Dont' knwo how to get vide out of replays --- Roy/Wouter ???? You'll notice how much this little beast pitches under breaking,

Suka
11-29-2005, 11:12 AM
The snapshots posted are only 800x600.
The game goes out to 1600x1200x32 at 120Hz refresh and full anti-aliasing.
The first picture here, at Donnington. I have stood in that exact spot where the car is on the curb. Just an interesting fact for everyone. I only noticed it was Donnington because i recognise the blue building in the background (how sad is that? lol).

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 11:12 AM
I've been trying to resist this game for a long time since I really don't use the computer for playing. What kind of wheels are you guys using and how much do they go for? I pretty much know the general price fork but are the differences as big as on consoles, where only the most expensive ones(+100€) were decent and the only options worth considering?

I just ordered a new wheel, the Logitech MOMO, which is top of the line and retails at around 100 euros. You can easily make do with a 50 euro wheel, but I got to get the best so I can only blame myself for not matching Roy's speeds!

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
i got a program to grab video's from your game, you do need a good pc though, otherwise framerates will suck!

www.fraps.com for a trial version, and otherwise, i got a retail version for you ;)

spi-ti-tout
11-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Downloading GT Legends trial now

an hour left to go!

Cya in the morning :D

Pando
11-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Hmm, I'll have to see if I have any money left after the holidays. Do you reckon it'll run on 256mb of ram? (updating that is also on my to-do list) I don't really care about the graphics, textures and effects etc as long as it runs smoothly.

PerfAdv
11-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Hmm, I'll have to see if I have any money left after the holidays. Do you reckon it'll run on 256mb of ram? (updating that is also on my to-do list) I don't really care about the graphics, textures and effects etc as long as it runs smoothly.
That's what I was wondering as I have only 256 as well. I haven't installed it yet am hoping 256 might be enough if you can run it in a smaller window.

RacingManiac
11-29-2005, 12:21 PM
hmm do I want another sim...F1C 99-02 has served me really well...LFS is fun for occasional blast...

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 01:02 PM
this is awesome, the cars are sweet as hell :)

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 02:02 PM
That's what I was wondering as I have only 256 as well. I haven't installed it yet am hoping 256 might be enough if you can run it in a smaller window.

System Requirements
===================

Minimum Specifications
----------------------
Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 2000, XP Home/Pro, x64
Processor 1.3 GHz Intel Pentium III or 100% compatible
Memory 512 MB RAM
Hard Drive 300 MB free installation space
3D Accelerator DirectX 8.1 compatible graphics card with 64 MB memory
Sound Card DirectX 8.1 compatible
Input Keyboard and Mouse
DirectX Version 9.0c

Recommended Specifications
--------------------------
Operating Systems Microsoft Windows XP Home/Pro, x64
Processor 2 GHz Intel Pentium IV or 100% compatible
Memory 1 GB RAM
Hard Drive 400 MB free installation space
3D Accelerator DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card with 256 MB memory
Sound Card DirectX 9.0c compatible
Input DirectX 9.0c compatible force feedback steering wheel
DirectX Version 9.0c

11-29-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm on an old MS FF wheel I fell in love with YEARS ago, nice pedals, nice feel. So much so that when XP support for gameport was dubious I picked ANOTHER one up - this time USB - on eBay for $40 so I've plenty of spare parts just in case too :D
I used to have one, it was good, but the rubber on the wheel didn't have much grip and the cable coming out the back of the wheel broke, and as its captive cable its permanent, much more a fan of the Logitech Momo Racing ive got now

Wouter Melissen
11-29-2005, 02:25 PM
I used to have one, it was good, but the rubber on the wheel didn't have much grip and the cable coming out the back of the wheel broke, and as its captive cable its permanent, much more a fan of the Logitech Momo Racing ive got now

Did you try the game?

RacingManiac
11-29-2005, 02:37 PM
hmm, I guess I'll dl this after I got home.....looks like fun though...

11-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Did you try the game?
yes, wasn't overly keen, you'll probably prove me wrong, but still, i found that while GTR was hard (ie i couldn't find the limit until i was over it) LFS was realistic(ish) and hard, but had normal cars which would oversteer before flying off the track (letting me find the limit) but yet still fun, but GT Legends seemed easy(ish) and i just didn't enjoy it that much, i must say that if i was given the full copy of the games with all the cars/tracks i might feel differently

PS Why has nobody made a very realistic racing game with normal, un-modified low-value cars (eg Peugeot 206 or Ford Mondeo)?

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 03:11 PM
PS Why has nobody made a very realistic racing game with normal, un-modified low-value cars (eg Peugeot 206 or Ford Mondeo)?

yeah i'd love that game aswell :)

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 03:15 PM
5 minutes to lap Monza and no brakes after the fourth corner ? no thanks :D

Pando
11-29-2005, 03:38 PM
System Requirements
Crap, looks like I have to update my ram to play. This is why I don't like cpu games.. :mad:

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Crap, looks like I have to update my ram to play. This is why I don't like cpu games.. :mad:
"cpu games" ? You mean PC rather than console ??
Since when did Halo run on a PS2 ? Or Gran Turismo 3 on a PSOne ??
$20 will double your ram :D

PerfAdv
11-29-2005, 03:51 PM
DITTO...just need to update RAM. And if it is just $20, memory is getting dirt cheap!!

EDIT: How do I determine what type of memory I need? When I opened the box, all four mem slots were taken up. So, I'm guessing there's currently four sticks of 64 MB.

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 04:09 PM
bummer :( With 4 slots and it only having 64Mb in each then there's a chance youve' got some old RAM. That makes id'ing it more difficult. Is teh PC a mainstream make or can you ID the motherboard from the BIOS startup message ? That's the best way to check the memory type without having to resort to stripping it and taking one out !!
You'll be as well throwing those away and buying one decent sized one. For about $40 you can pick up 512Mb PC133 new off eBay -- http://cgi.ebay.com/Micron-512MB-PC133-SDRAM-133MHZ-512-MB-PC-133-PC-SD-RAM_W0QQitemZ6824513429QQcategoryZ14918QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
NOTE: This may NOT be compatible with yours, you need to find out which of all the options yours is, slot type, bus speed, ECC, buffering etc.

PerfAdv
11-29-2005, 04:16 PM
I can't recall now but what is that 'command' or windows which shows all the system info. Maybe mem type is there as well. Oh, I have XP

It's a DELL and I don't want to reboot just now but next time I will make note of BIOS! :)

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 04:30 PM
dxdiag and msinfo, BUT these don't tell you memory slot type, but might give enough pointer to know. As it's a DELL, it's REAL easy, look on the back there is a DELL model number. You can look it up on teh Dell supprot site.

Zytek_Fan
11-29-2005, 04:38 PM
I might get it after I get a faster computer, FIA GTR and the Proximus Spa 24h FIA GTR exspansion

PerfAdv
11-29-2005, 04:48 PM
dxdiag and msinfo, BUT these don't tell you memory slot type, but might give enough pointer to know. As it's a DELL, it's REAL easy, look on the back there is a DELL model number. You can look it up on teh Dell supprot site.
msinfo32 on the XP but you're right it doesn't show type. The Dell site has the memory but its $349 for 512 MB. Sillyness, they sell barebones system for less.

This is what I need. There are 400 MHz and 500 MHz FSB variations. I think I'll need to get back to Dell with a serial tag #

DELL - 512 MB Module for a Dell Dimension 8200 Series (400 MHz FSB) System
512 MB RDRAM, PC800, ECC, Unbuffered
Dell Part #: A0276519, Manufacturer Part #: D1T483
Usually Ships: Within 24 Hours
Condition: New $349.99

DELL - 512 MB Module for a Dell Dimension 8200 Series (533 MHz FSB) System
512 MB RDRAM, PC800, ECC, Unbuffered
Dell Part #: A0285710, Manufacturer Part #: D1T483
Usually Ships: Within 24 Hours
Condition: New $349.99

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 04:59 PM
huh ? You should check that, 64Mb of PC800 is very VERY unusual.

You can get 512Mb PC800 for $150-$180. still alot though :(

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 05:01 PM
i've made something so awesome, that im gonna make a new thread for it in a couple of minutes :)

Matra et Alpine
11-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Found a cheat ?
THe only one out there currently is so tedious it's annoying :(

Roy Visser
11-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Found a cheat ?
THe only one out there currently is so tedious it's annoying :(

i know which one you are talking about, wouter is getting the game so he has a point of racing the AI. I got the game just because i love to race for laptimes and online. I might do the career mode, but only when i have 4 weeks off of work in a month. For now, im just using the "cheat" to get to the good cars (in other words, the RSR :))

i made a movie comparing GTR vs GTL, quite big file though, but should be worth it :)

PerfAdv
11-29-2005, 05:21 PM
huh ? You should check that, 64Mb of PC800 is very VERY unusual.

You can get 512Mb PC800 for $150-$180. still alot though :(
Sorry my mistake. The two on the right are not memory, I don't know what/why they are in the slots? :confused:

RDRAM is expensive. Best I saw was Samsung brand for $190. :(

Wouter Melissen
11-30-2005, 04:39 AM
Gave it a shot against the Corvettes on the faster short Dijon track. I did manage to catch up and pass them, but a mistake in the final lap saw me drop back to fourth.

Roy Visser
11-30-2005, 08:30 AM
A video of my first online experience, a hefty battle versus a Porsche 906. After a couple of laps of chasing, i managed to pass him. Then a thing seen in many online races, the other person tries to take the corners the same way as the person who just overtook him, and misjudges the corner :)
Porsche 911 RSR vs Porsche 906 (http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1DUW8DONCD7P630KEZZ105XUAG)

My second online experience was thougher though, not being able to choose my beloved porsche, i went for a Ferrari 275. Which got absolutly dominated by this annoying little elan!
Ferrari 275GTB/C vs a little elan (http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1D9Q7GB69L7W1208UEP8LKL3KF)

henk4
11-30-2005, 08:39 AM
My second online experience was thougher though, not being able to choose my beloved porsche, i went for a Ferrari 275. Which got absolutly dominated by this annoying little elan!

just like in the real world...

Pando
11-30-2005, 08:57 AM
"cpu games" ? You mean PC rather than console ??
Since when did Halo run on a PS2 ? Or Gran Turismo 3 on a PSOne ??
$20 will double your ram :D
Yeah, I prefer console games. When I buy a console I know I will be able to play the newest and best games for that platform for years to come. Consoles are made for playing, and they usually do that pretty well. I dont have to worry about drivers, and updates and having loads of problems with the games. If it's for the console, it'll work. About different platforms, the Xbox was an excellent option for the last ~3 years since 80% of the console games worth playing was released to that (exceptions, God of War, Tekken, GT4 and various games for the Game Cube) and it also had a superior multiplayer with Xbox Live(also more complicated on computers). The quality of the games is a whole other story and the fact that some games just aren't made for consoles. The first Playstation was released in Japan in 1994 and they were still making new games to it well over 5 years later. If you buy a computer now you cant play the top games next year. Also since I'm using a laptop, it costs me €99 to double my ram and almost €150 for one giga. :(

Matra et Alpine
11-30-2005, 09:37 AM
The first Playstation was released in Japan in 1994 and they were still making new games to it well over 5 years later.
Games are still being written that run on Windows 95 :D
THere is always a market for cheap-and-cheerful !

If you buy a computer now you cant play the top games next year.
That's jsut rubbish. UNLESS you buy a really REALLY cheap PC :D
GT Legends runs on the 4 year old Shuttle sitting below my desk on a 3 year old video card. No problems :D
My 8 year old copy of Star Wars runs on it too !!

Also since I'm using a laptop, it costs me €99 to double my ram and almost €150 for one giga. :(
Yep, always worth looking at cost-of-ownership when buying PC.
Most people realised that iwth Packard-Bells - cheap to buy but when you wanted to upgrade you throw everything out of the case and started filling it anew. That's just bad buying choice :) Like buying a Nintendo and hoping for a great racing sim - NOT their market !!
but hey your prices are comparable to what it actually costs you to be able to run old gen Xbox games on the 360 :D

adamfraser
11-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Well i have a PS2 and PC, and definitely prefer my PC. I dont think it is that expensive, im spending 400 quid getting new RAM (up to 1gb) 320GB H/D, 256mb Graphics, new Motherboard, and other things, new fans to keep the cooling just right. And, best thing is, you dont have to pay 30 quid+ for games, but you can get them for PC for pretty much anything, all the games i like (colin mcrae rally 2, etc) can be bought for five quid here. bargain. Id take my PC over my PS2 anyday :D

Matra et Alpine
11-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Have you guys upgrade to v.1.1 ?
Sice I did it I can't find any more than about 3 guys online at any one time :(

Roy Visser
11-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Have you guys upgrade to v.1.1 ?
Sice I did it I can't find any more than about 3 guys online at any one time :(

i did, this afternoon i found around 30 people i think. The game is still new though, nowhere near the amount of people who you can find in GTR

Pando
11-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Games are still being written that run on Windows 95 :D
THere is always a market for cheap-and-cheerful !
Yes, I know, but the point was that the PS was still concidered one of the best and most modern consoles 5 years later.

That's jsut rubbish. UNLESS you buy a really REALLY cheap PC :D
GT Legends runs on the 4 year old Shuttle sitting below my desk on a 3 year old video card. No problems :D
My 8 year old copy of Star Wars runs on it too !!Well games like Half Life 2 didn't run proper on all new computers, so go figure. Also my 15 months old laptop doesn't run the newest games as we've seen and it wasn't cheap. Even if I update the ram I doubt it'll be able to run everything smoothly. When I bought my laptop, most laptops in the same performance range but with 512 or 1G of ram was about €1500 and I got mine for 1100 which was a good deal then.

It is a fact that when it comes to gaming computers get "old" quick. That's why I use consoles for gaming and computers for everything else.

Yep, always worth looking at cost-of-ownership when buying PC.
Most people realised that iwth Packard-Bells - cheap to buy but when you wanted to upgrade you throw everything out of the case and started filling it anew. That's just bad buying choice :) Like buying a Nintendo and hoping for a great racing sim - NOT their market !!
but hey your prices are comparable to what it actually costs you to be able to run old gen Xbox games on the 360 :DEven if I use the money now to update my computer or to buy a new computer, I would still be in the same situation come next winter. :( With the Xbox 360 I most likely wont.

Matra et Alpine
11-30-2005, 10:55 AM
It is a fact that when it comes to gaming computers get "old" quick. That's why I use consoles for gaming and computers for everything else.
But we've shown that's not the case.
I think the confusion may come that games list mimimum and recommended.
Consider the minimum is the "console spec" - it lasts for years and years and years. The recommended spec lasts for a few years and the real hardcore gamers will update every one to two years to stay cutting edge. Consoles only give ONE of those options.

( Well I guess you coudl argue the PlayStation doesn't as it always has the had the issue that gamers took years to work out how best to use the hardware and could make things better as they went. That's one advantage the XBox doesn't have as nobody is allowed to play in teh hardware, MS keep them on the virtual interface :D )

Your laptop is analogous to the PSP. You dont' get much performance or upgradability and not compatbiel games :D

Roy Visser
11-30-2005, 11:03 AM
getting a bit offtopic arent we :rolleyes:

currently wouter is trying to tame the E-type :p

Wouter Melissen
11-30-2005, 11:39 AM
getting a bit offtopic arent we :rolleyes:

currently wouter is trying to tame the E-type :p

It needs a wilder style than the Elan. Power slides are great with the E-Type.

Pando
11-30-2005, 03:04 PM
But we've shown that's not the case.
But it is. :confused:

I think the confusion may come that games list mimimum and recommended.
Consider the minimum is the "console spec" - it lasts for years and years and years. The recommended spec lasts for a few years and the real hardcore gamers will update every one to two years to stay cutting edge. Consoles only give ONE of those options.I used to play computer games during the last millenium and saw what running games on minimum requirements meant in real life. I don't want that. When someone makes a new computer game they(usually) make sure the game utilizes the best equipment avaliable. A game that looks good sells better to the crowds even though the requirements are high. The console games are made for the console, THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE. They may have to tone down some graphics etc, but at least the game will run smoothly on EVERYONES console. It's the game developers' fault or ultimately the markets' since no one would accept that a new computer game looks a year old.

Your laptop is analogous to the PSP. You dont' get much performance or upgradability and not compatbiel games :DThis is just what I mean. The computer scene is the only place where a good buy becomes a laughingstock just over a year later. :( :( :(

6speed
12-01-2005, 10:25 AM
The graffix still look terrible.

6speed
12-01-2005, 10:25 AM
At least it has real cars.

Matra et Alpine
12-01-2005, 10:35 AM
The graffix still look terrible.
You said this already in post #24 and was given the reasons in posts #25 and #26.

Are you now saying you've seen it live in a game and STILL think so ??

Roy Visser
12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
You said this already in post #24 and was given the reasons in posts #25 and #26.

Are you now saying you've seen it live in a game and STILL think so ??

never mind him, he's into arcade racers

lookie lookie what i made for wouter :D

Matra et Alpine
12-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Sweet ....

Right Roy, you just got yourself a commission :)

( or tell me all the steps to make a skin )

I want an Alpine in Ecurie Ecosse colours and stripe marking same as the 50s D-types. pretty, pretty, please :D Preferably with Peter Locke and a scottish flag on the drivers wing :D

Roy Visser
12-01-2005, 11:22 AM
needs alot of improvement, but you get the idea ;)

needs to go way further down, the rear style needs to be the same colour as the rest, bumpers back in chrome, etc etc ;)

Roy Visser
12-01-2005, 11:38 AM
but before i finish yours, i'll first finish my own :)

there have been versions, but i want it to be precise :)

6speed
12-01-2005, 01:06 PM
never mind him, he's into arcade racers

lookie lookie what i made for wouter :D

No, my favourite game is Gran Turismo 4. And I downloaded the game, and I still thought it terrible. The physics are alright. But as for the design of the game, it's horrible.

Matra et Alpine
12-01-2005, 01:16 PM
confirmed, arcade racer :D

What do you mean by "design" ? What graphics are you running ? So 1600x1200x32 isn't as good as GT4 ?? hmmmmmmmmmm :D

Clivey
12-02-2005, 03:14 AM
The main problem with running games on computers is that, as already touched on in this thread, not everybody's computer is the same. This means that games will very rarely run optimally, and even if they can on certain machines, specific settings are needed.

For example, when I had my old PC, I couldn't run Halo and Mechwarrior 4 at the same time because settings for the graphics card, controller etc. were different between games. It was a pain in the arse to set up between every game and even then, on Windows, crashes are inevitable...

henk4
12-02-2005, 03:16 AM
I don't think I can play minesweeper on an X-box:D

Wouter Melissen
12-02-2005, 07:04 AM
The main problem with running games on computers is that, as already touched on in this thread, not everybody's computer is the same. This means that games will very rarely run optimally, and even if they can on certain machines, specific settings are needed.

For example, when I had my old PC, I couldn't run Halo and Mechwarrior 4 at the same time because settings for the graphics card, controller etc. were different between games. It was a pain in the arse to set up between every game and even then, on Windows, crashes are inevitable...

I doubt any console is capable of running anything as custom as two games at the same time. When designing a game for a console, it's the console that decides the maximum specs of a game. A PC game can be designed on the cutting edge, but by making it compatible with older systems a large number of people can run it. Those with a state of the art system they can run a cutting edge game and those not so fortunate they can still play the game to the maximum of their own system. The XBOX 360 might be cutting edge today, but in two years time the PC will have further evolved and so will the games.

RacingManiac
12-02-2005, 08:55 AM
I tried the demo out, the Elan is fast, but very twitchy to drive, the E-type seems more forgiving.....

my lap time in the Elan is still up in the 36s.....:D

Wouter Melissen
12-02-2005, 08:58 AM
I tried the demo out, the Elan is fast, but very twitchy to drive, the E-type seems more forgiving.....

The Elan requires a clean entry, but can then be guided through on the throttle. Set the gearing to high and go through the first corner in second.

Roy Visser
12-02-2005, 09:30 AM
online mode is so much more fun in GTL compared to GTR (on public servers that is)

in GTR you are in constant battle with the car to keep it under controll, and once you lose control, you will spin of and wreck the car. Because of this constant struggle, its very hard to concentrate on a car before or behind you, without making mistakes. In GTL however, the cars are alot more forgiving, thusfor leaving more Brainspace over for choosing lines to overtake the opposition. If you want to race online alot, on public servers, GTL gives you a far better experience then GTR. Simply because its alot easier to be competetive!. IF you race in a League (like myself) GTR is very addictive due to its difficulty. So nowadays, i drive GTL for fun and just for a quick spin, and GTR if i really want to sweat my pants of. Overtaking someone in GTR gives you 10 times the satisfaction of overtaking someone in GTL ;)

Today i raced Elites, Alfa's,Cortina's in my small Abarth on Spa, and i even managed to keep them behind me. So much fun, you feel so tiny in that car :)

In an other race, i raced against 36 components (!) And managed the second place in qualify, and 3rd in the race. Very close battle between a CSL infront of me, and a Capri behind me :D

cant wait to go online with wouter ;)

with the elan, smooth is the essence ;)

6speed
12-02-2005, 10:08 AM
confirmed, arcade racer :D

What do you mean by "design" ? What graphics are you running ? So 1600x1200x32 isn't as good as GT4 ?? hmmmmmmmmmm :D

I don't mean the resolution. I mean... well, look at the cars on the sidelines. They're just boxes! And the buildings have no texture, and some of the cars you play with don't have enough detail. I look at this, then I look at even GT3, and I can't help but say, that the GRAPHICS aren't that good.

RacingManiac
12-02-2005, 10:29 AM
What diff setting do you run? In F1 Challenge I usually set my coast side relatively free since the downforce will help entry stability, but in this I find I need to set the coast value relatively high or else my back end is very nervous....

Wouter Melissen
12-02-2005, 10:39 AM
What diff setting do you run? In F1 Challenge I usually set my coast side relatively free since the downforce will help entry stability, but in this I find I need to set the coast value relatively high or else my back end is very nervous....

I changed nothing, except for longer gearing and less fuel.

Wouter Melissen
12-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't mean the resolution. I mean... well, look at the cars on the sidelines. They're just boxes! And the buildings have no texture, and some of the cars you play with don't have enough detail. I look at this, then I look at even GT3, and I can't help but say, that the GRAPHICS aren't that good.

Do you have your video settings set to low?

6speed
12-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Do you have your video settings set to low?

I have no clue. I'm no computer guy. All I know is that I don't like the game. And that's final.

Clivey
12-02-2005, 02:23 PM
I doubt any console is capable of running anything as custom as two games at the same time. When designing a game for a console, it's the console that decides the maximum specs of a game. A PC game can be designed on the cutting edge, but by making it compatible with older systems a large number of people can run it. Those with a state of the art system they can run a cutting edge game and those not so fortunate they can still play the game to the maximum of their own system. The XBOX 360 might be cutting edge today, but in two years time the PC will have further evolved and so will the games.

Sorry, I just realised you misunderstood that one...What I mean by "running at the same time" was having them installed and being able to stop playing one, take the disc out of the drive, put another game in and start playing that.

I also found to my own frustration a while ago that what you say about "older systems" still being able to run the games is simply not true...terrible things happened to my display and HDD on Windows Me when I tried to run Robot Wars: Arenas Of Destruction. (A game I later found to be appauling when I played it on another computer, it was recommended by a friend and I haven't trusted his judgement on computer games since lol)

Clivey
12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
I have no clue. I'm no computer guy. All I know is that I don't like the game. And that's final.

You say this without even trying it?

Matra et Alpine
12-02-2005, 02:54 PM

The graphics detail settings are IN THE GAME and not the PC settings :D

Wouter Melissen
12-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Woot I got my copy!

Roy Visser
12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Woot I got my copy!

YaY!!

Roy Visser
12-08-2005, 07:04 AM
DOH!

first race against wouter, and i lose!

Wouter vs Roy (http://home.tiscali.nl/royvisser/WvsR-1.WMV)

well atleast my lap was faster ;)

Edit:

now he beated me friggin 3 times in a row! Well atleast i know where the first 2 came from (my throttle from my steeringwheel only gave about 80-90 % when i pushed the paddle full, resulting in a very slow car!)

but the 3rd time it was my own faul, was paying attention to wouter driving behind me to much, resulting in lose of concentration, he overtook me, and i was to desperate to gain on him, and i span off

next time gadget!!

Roy Visser
12-08-2005, 10:04 AM
i didnt get him DOH!

Wouter vs Roy 2 (http://home.tiscali.nl/royvisser/WvsR-2.WMV)

this is gettin emberassing, i need to go in to full on race mode instead of wanting to fight!

Wouter Melissen
12-08-2005, 10:13 AM
We'll need to get the old guy in here as well. Too bad he's busy this week.

Roy Visser
12-08-2005, 10:16 AM
We'll need to get the old guy in here as well. Too bad he's busy this week.

yeah lets see if we can do some close racing while we need to keep an eye out for "traffic" aswell :rolleyes:

Roy Visser
12-08-2005, 03:20 PM
that was very annoying.

first half of the evening waiting to get online, disconnecting and searching and waiting for half of the time. then finally we got on a server, only to discover that my machine cant handle night races :(

i didnt get more then 15fps :mad:

Matra et Alpine
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Nothing to do with "computer", its' all in the game manual :D

Matra et Alpine
12-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Hey, Roy ... no Donnington vide ????? :D

Tonight sucked. Lag varied from 80ms to 4000ms !!!!! I've chcked against a few servers and the network this end seems OK - course it was an hour later :( !!!

magracer
12-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Now, that's the kind of videos I was talking about for your championship races...

Roy Visser
12-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Now, that's the kind of videos I was talking about for your championship races...

will do next race mate :)

the Post for the race will be made earlier, with an onboard cockpit lap, and maybe even introductions to the corners by myself!

and the best moments of the race will be video taped too :)

Roy Visser
12-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I've found my walhalla for this game. TC65 races, with the Mini

me and my Team UCP.com racing mate did 3 races tonight, and allthough he just got the game (my present to him, aswell as GTR) He is only around 0.100 slower. Best of all, we did very well in races with over 16 cars. Being the only mini's its pretty awesome to outrun Cortina's and Guilla's!

NuclearCrap
12-14-2005, 11:29 PM
I just ordered a new wheel, the Logitech MOMO, which is top of the line and retails at around 100 euros. You can easily make do with a 50 euro wheel, but I got to get the best so I can only blame myself for not matching Roy's speeds!

100 euros?! It's there at Best Buy for $75!!! USD!!!

ummagumma
12-28-2005, 07:14 AM
hey, I just tried this game & it is amazing...!

has anyone figured out how to unlock the cars yet?

I hope the developers do well...it's about time someone created a game with all these old classic cars

managed to qualify on pole with a lucky 40 sec lap at mondello in the mini...but spun out in the race & finished last :)

cheers

ummagumma
12-28-2005, 07:15 AM
ps how do you guys save video of the game?

thx

Roy Visser
12-28-2005, 02:25 PM
download fraps for the videos!

and you can unlock cars by winning races, there is another thing, but wont work anymore!

ummagumma
12-29-2005, 10:02 AM
ah, that's what fraps does, cool, thx! I thought it was just a util that displayed framerates in games for some reason

I was hoping to be able to drive the GT40 without spending the next month working my way through the game :cool: oh well

thx!

Roy Visser
12-30-2005, 03:44 PM
32 minutes of racing, with a gap around 2 seconds between me and wouter

pretty intense :D

Wouter Melissen
12-31-2005, 01:29 AM
32 minutes of racing, with a gap around 2 seconds between me and wouter

pretty intense :D

Yeah it's a shame I screwed up in the penultimate lap and missed out on the victory. That guy must have had his Cortina set up perfectly or added another gear.

ummagumma
12-31-2005, 11:10 AM
wow....I finally got the mustang & spent all night racing around Zolder...what an additive game!!

still can't keep up on pro level, so was racing intermediate...was doing 20 lap races & was a real handful trying to keep up with the Lotus Elans, Shelby cobras, GT40 & TVR's, haha. they're all faster cars, I could only catch them under braking

speaking of Zolder: Wouter, awesome avatar pic of Gilles Villeneuve & Rene Arnoux you have there...I was thinking of Gilles as I was driving down the back straight of Zolder....I think they ran it the other way around in F1 , though?

robcooper
01-01-2006, 10:06 AM
i too am getting gt legends

Wouter Melissen
01-02-2006, 02:18 AM
wow....I finally got the mustang & spent all night racing around Zolder...what an additive game!!

still can't keep up on pro level, so was racing intermediate...was doing 20 lap races & was a real handful trying to keep up with the Lotus Elans, Shelby cobras, GT40 & TVR's, haha. they're all faster cars, I could only catch them under braking

speaking of Zolder: Wouter, awesome avatar pic of Gilles Villeneuve & Rene Arnoux you have there...I was thinking of Gilles as I was driving down the back straight of Zolder....I think they ran it the other way around in F1 , though?

Yeah Zolder is a great track, although I'm still looking how to get the entry to the first two cars right consistently. I doubt they ran it the other way around in Formula 1, it might just look different because of the changes made to the track over the years. You should not be daunted by the Pro level, once you get used to it, it's pretty easy. Just invest some time and I'm sure you'll be able to keep up with Roy and me.

Radoman
01-02-2006, 05:41 AM
So, I got the demo because apparently the retail version isn't coming out in Canada for a while. So I can't use the Jag E-type, just the Vette and the Elan. I can easily kill the Vette with the Elan, it just eats up that track!

Yeah, for some reason if you choose the Jag and try to load the game, it freezes and quits back to windows :(

Matra et Alpine
01-02-2006, 10:18 AM
IF you can manage to not keep pressing the rewind button on the first 25 seconds of this clip it's got some nice GTL coverage. http://tocagames.free.fr/gt-legends/gt-legends-e3-motors-tv.wmv ( Dont' you just love French TV :D )

Roy Visser
01-02-2006, 10:37 AM
oh wait, so the clip is longer then 25 seconds :rolleyes:

Mr.Tiv
12-25-2006, 09:16 AM
I realise I am a bit behind the times here, but I just got Gt Legends. I'm not that great with computers, so I have run into a problem with the instalation.

I am hoping one of you europeans can help me out.

When i go to play it, it asks for me to: "Enter a Disk Key for the disk labeled GTL_CD1" What the hell does that mean, and where might I find the answer to this riddle?

Please, anyone who knows what the hell is going on here, help me out.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

cmcpokey
12-25-2006, 10:07 AM
I realise I am a bit behind the times here, but I just got Gt Legends. I'm not that great with computers, so I have run into a problem with the instalation.

I am hoping one of you europeans can help me out.

When i go to play it, it asks for me to: "Enter a Disk Key for the disk labeled GTL_CD1" What the hell does that mean, and where might I find the answer to this riddle?

Please, anyone who knows what the hell is going on here, help me out.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays.
Q: What is a DVD/CD key and where can I find it?

A: The DVD/CD key is needed to activate the game’s copy protection after installation. This key is printed on the game’s installation disc. When running GT Legends for the first time, you are prompted to type in this key. This is only required once to unlock the game.

Mr.Tiv
12-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Q: What is a DVD/CD key and where can I find it?

A: The DVD/CD key is needed to activate the game’s copy protection after installation. This key is printed on the game’s installation disc. When running GT Legends for the first time, you are prompted to type in this key. This is only required once to unlock the game.
I found that, but I still have no idea where the key is. Is it suposed to be on the front or the back, and if it's on the back which one of the sets of numbers/letters is it?

Roy Visser
12-25-2006, 04:33 PM
I found that, but I still have no idea where the key is. Is it suposed to be on the front or the back, and if it's on the back which one of the sets of numbers/letters is it?

the key is ON the GTlegends DVD

as in directly printed on the dvd

Jack_Bauer
12-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey, I also got GT Legends from Chris Cringle this morning. We all know the coolest people live at least a year behind the cutting edge... ;)

And yes, the DVD Key was written on the front of the disc in a big white box labelled "DVD-Key"; kinda hard to miss really. :confused:

Mr.Tiv
12-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Not in America. Mine consists of three cds. and the code is labled something about starfox or some bullshit like that.

Oh, and yeah, the cool people always live behind the curve.

Butch_bolide
04-17-2007, 08:08 AM
This is a new car for GT Legends.