PDA

View Full Version : favourite everyday car

steven flanagan
04-30-2003, 12:32 AM
My pick would have to be the Holden VY SS

Ghost
05-02-2003, 09:11 AM
1994 Ford Ranger with an extended cab two wheel drive, 4.0 Liter V-6, 5-speed manuel transmission and a cap on the back!

Kossy
05-03-2003, 02:52 AM
Holden Commodore VXII SS
Holden Monaro

steven flanagan
05-06-2003, 01:53 AM
I'm gong to change my fave car. The 1967 Shelby Cobra GT500.

Kossy
05-06-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by steven flanagan
I'm gong to change my fave car. The 1967 Shelby Cobra GT500. You consider that an everday car?

Rob
05-06-2003, 09:43 AM
The Audi RS6 station is realy my favourite, it's fast, it looks good, and it sounds great, it's just the perfect everyday car

Hell_Unleashed
05-06-2003, 10:29 AM
The New Merc E 500... BMW 530i... or even the 3-series cabriolet...
Actually... I don't know man... Too many nice cars around!!
I wouldn't mind driving around in a heavily customized Honda Accord 2001 either... That'll be pretty cool actually. :D

kinan.f
05-07-2003, 03:19 AM
It would be difficult to choose an every day car as there is a long list of adequate cars to drive.The most important is a car that is Powerful,not too thirsty,comfortable,stylish,fast,and unique...
These factors may be available in 1000 cars & even more....
The Audi RS4 has it all especially that it is an AWD car.....

Nash
05-07-2003, 02:19 PM
The Almighty BMW M5.

Meluion
05-07-2003, 02:56 PM
I would still go for the FIAT panda; small, lightweight, low-fuel-consumption. :)

Hakk
05-08-2003, 01:01 AM
Only one is the best road-everyday car...

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition

fpv_gtho
05-12-2003, 02:44 AM
a friggin makinen evo 6 isnt a bloody everyday car

modena
02-19-2004, 04:36 PM
the bmw 760 has a bunch of power is spacious and comfotable :cool:

crisis
02-19-2004, 05:02 PM
This thread , you would have thought , contained enough qulifiers , ie "favourite everyday" to enable some reasonable input. Yet we have such estoteria as BMW M5s, Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition ( which by the way of the reviews Ive read, is rather harsh for normal street driving ) and various others. Its ok to have favourites, but by spitting out things like Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makinen Edition or BMW M5 or any other car to every question because it is your favourite car runs the risk of being dismissed as merely a fan boy. Im beginning to like that term.

tylerwj1234
02-19-2004, 06:02 PM
I'm gong to change my fave car. The 1967 Shelby Cobra GT500.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YAAAAAAAAAAAA that car is sweet. the 1 from gone in 60 seconds is tight!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

sandwich
02-19-2004, 08:16 PM
well what should an everyday car have?

two doors? four?
hardtop?
fwd rwd awd?
turbo?
4 banger? 8 cyllinder?
wagon? hatchback?
performance? comfort?
snow? rain? sun all the time?

everyday in california is a lot different than every day in montreal...

i know i'm starting to sound like a groupie, but for overall usefulness, evo's and wrx's are looking better and better. AWD is great for inclement weather...four bangers use less gas, generally, turbo for power, hardtop for cold weather, and a full trunk for storing dead bodies. Somebody made the point of harsh rides...but it's a compromise...do you want an everyday car to enjoy cruising, or that you can fly around corners with on your way to the grocery store? I know I want the latter (even though the grocery store is literally across the street....)

I like the mazda six also, and most audi's are nice, but they don't have the performance of the evowrx, but many cost just as much or more....

that being said, i drive my civic everyday, it does over 30 mpg city, holds four(sometimes five) and almost seems sporty with the manual tranny. it's a fine car, but not showy...and not go-ey.

edit: i don't think convertible is a good option because it sucks when it's cold, and ain't so great in the rain. Not impossible though. I say no rwd because of driving in the snow. I say 4 doors for 4 homies, and a turbo 4 (although I'd prefer a turbo six) for it's economy and power. I would prefer a hatchback, i love the way they look, but nobody in the US makes a good hatch right now. HMMMMMMMMMMM maybe an Z3 coupe/hatch....still would suck in the snow

KnifeEdge_2K1
02-20-2004, 11:00 PM
I'm currently in love/lust with the Lancer Evolution VIII and the WRX STi but I aint concieted enough to think they would be regular everyday drivers. Most people would consider the ride harsh on their asses so that effectively rules out my 2 fav cars right now :'( *cries* lol

Newayz I've always liked the civic (any of em Si, Type R, even hybrid) they give good gas millage have decent power and handling and comfortable ride (plus they look sporty :D)

even then civic is not perfect as no car is ... all FFs suffer from understeer and torque steer to a certain degree, if i could make the perfect everyday car it would be all wheel drive with active difs (just like evo and sti ^^) which would make driving in snow and rain a helluva lot easier and would definetly need a V-6 if the engine is N/A, otherwise a turbo 4 cyl would do. all wheel disc brakes are a must, comfortable yet reliable suspension, roomy interior yet compact exterior, all this and it must be enjoyable to drive + <20 000 dollars

so to sum it up ... itll never happen

Quiggs
02-20-2004, 11:26 PM
a friggin makinen evo 6 isnt a bloody everyday car
It might be if you're Tommi Makinen... :p

jelLO
02-20-2004, 11:48 PM
MX-5 Miata....best everyday day ever...

well what should an everyday car have?

two doors? four?
hardtop?
fwd rwd awd?
turbo?
4 banger? 8 cyllinder?
wagon? hatchback?
performance? comfort?
snow? rain? sun all the time?

everyday in california is a lot different than every day in montreal...

i know i'm starting to sound like a groupie, but for overall usefulness, evo's and wrx's are looking better and better. AWD is great for inclement weather...four bangers use less gas, generally, turbo for power, hardtop for cold weather, and a full trunk for storing dead bodies. Somebody made the point of harsh rides...but it's a compromise...do you want an everyday car to enjoy cruising, or that you can fly around corners with on your way to the grocery store? I know I want the latter (even though the grocery store is literally across the street....)

I like the mazda six also, and most audi's are nice, but they don't have the performance of the evowrx, but many cost just as much or more....

that being said, i drive my civic everyday, it does over 30 mpg city, holds four(sometimes five) and almost seems sporty with the manual tranny. it's a fine car, but not showy...and not go-ey.

edit: i don't think convertible is a good option because it sucks when it's cold, and ain't so great in the rain. Not impossible though. I say no rwd because of driving in the snow. I say 4 doors for 4 homies, and a turbo 4 (although I'd prefer a turbo six) for it's economy and power. I would prefer a hatchback, i love the way they look, but nobody in the US makes a good hatch right now. HMMMMMMMMMMM maybe an Z3 coupe/hatch....still would suck in the snow

henk4
02-21-2004, 02:36 AM
An everyday car should be:

Capable of dealing with every traffic(jams) without problems or overheating
Economical
Spacy (depending on your family situation)
Confortable
Reasonably performing

in short what you need is a hydropneumaticly sprung, self levelling turbo diesel engined wagon. Currently there is only one car on the market that meets this requirement. The Citroen C5.

Ferrari F50
02-21-2004, 04:37 AM
Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG or S600 for me, with some added bit of tuning from RENNTech or Kleeman.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=428590

Matra et Alpine
02-21-2004, 06:26 AM
.....The Citroen C5.
You forgot to say competently engineered :)

After the debacle with the Picasso rear suspension I've been convinced ( yet again ) that French design houses have a "cock-ups" department who have an input into every car design to ensure at least one thing is the most stupid decision that could ever be made.

Citroen have lead the pack with inboard disk brakes where you had to take the manifold off to replace the pads.
A car which you cannot get the spare wheel out until you jack up the car - and the jack is kept - - - inside the spare wheel :)

Hey don't get me wrong, I love French cars ( own 4! ) , but realistically they are and probably always will be a liability :(

henk4
02-21-2004, 07:59 AM
You forgot to say competently engineered :)

After the debacle with the Picasso rear suspension I've been convinced ( yet again ) that French design houses have a "cock-ups" department who have an input into every car design to ensure at least one thing is the most stupid decision that could ever be made.

Citroen have lead the pack with inboard disk brakes where you had to take the manifold off to replace the pads.
A car which you cannot get the spare wheel out until you jack up the car - and the jack is kept - - - inside the spare wheel :)

Hey don't get me wrong, I love French cars ( own 4! ) , but realistically they are and probably always will be a liability :(

Never heard of the Picasso problems, but this ugly peace does not meet my definition, it's steel sprung, and the 90 BHP Hdi is the "best" performing diesel you can get. Furthermore I thought you knew that the C5 does not need a jack to get it up, the suspension will do that for you and then you put the jack under it and lower the car again. The fact that you need to remove the front bumper before you can switch a light bulb comes closer to your ideas about french engineering ;)
That's why I intend to drive my souped-up Xantia break for a while longer.

jameswithington
02-21-2004, 07:04 PM

Capable of dealing with every traffic(jams) without problems or overheating
Economical
Spacy (depending on your family situation)
Confortable
Reasonably performing

By these rules I would go for a new Mini Cooper. I don't have any kids so the relative lack of space isn't a massive problem for me. It's decent value, pretty economical, very well built and reliable, stylish, comfortable, and a really sweet handling little thing. I could be tempted by a Cooper S or Cooper S Works, but both are less economical and more expensive to start with, and the Works version has a much firmer ride.

Falcon500
02-22-2004, 04:03 AM
My 1980 datsun sunny witha rebuilt engine, tasteful mags and no back seat (really hate giveing lifts) of course me and my old man are still podering about the turbo charged engine and useing my sunny as the test mule.

SPN:DOC
02-22-2004, 04:58 AM
Renault Laguna II Privilege LX.... or a 3 series BMW... or a C-class Merc... or an Audi A4... or a Volvo s60... or a Volkswagen passat.... or a Opel vectra... :confused: :confused: Na Na the Laguna is good.. :D i like the Laguna... my dad own one by the way.. its gr8... :D

Rijoh
02-22-2004, 05:54 AM
Audi RS6/M5/CL65/Continental GT

henk4
02-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Audi RS6/M5/CL65/Continental GT

Every day traffic in the Netherlands will be very frustrating when driving one of the above cars. Of course you are aware of our fuel prices too.

Rijoh
02-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Every day traffic in the Netherlands will be very frustrating when driving one of the above cars.
True, but the traffic is frustrating in every car.

Of course you are aware of our fuel prices too.
If you got the money for one of those cars I don't think you care much about high fuel prices.

ZerK
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
MG ZT-T 260 :cool: And the Rover 220 Turbo Coupe :rolleyes:

Doza
02-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Grand Prix GTP. A nice sedan that's plenty fast, with the 3800 series engine, which has been used to the point of near perfection. Being a sedan makes it pretty practical also.

byronleehk
02-23-2004, 04:21 PM
My pick would be the Dodge SRT-4 Turbo (http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0305tur_neon/) :D