PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Cars Tango T600

6'bore
11-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Commuter Cars is now accepting orders and deposits for the Tango Ultra-Narrow Electric Car. The first model available is the $85,000 Tango T600. The $39,900 Tango T200 and the $18,700 T100 will follow in 2006 and 2007, respectively.

The Tango T600 is a luxury, high performance vehicle with a carbon fiber body, race-tuned suspension, Connolly leather interior, and a 400-watt stereo. With 1,000 ft-lbs of torque from dual electric motors driving the rear wheels, the T600 can reach 60 MPH in 4 seconds and a top speed of 150 MPH. The patented ballast system “glues” the car to the road and provides the 39” wide vehicle with the highest stability rating available. Tangos seat two 6’6” people in tandem protected by a racecar roll cage.

Founder and CEO Rick Woodbury welcomed this announcement saying, “The decision to start accepting orders is a significant step in the company’s history and we are grateful for our initial customers who have already placed orders.”

Designed as the ultimate commuter vehicle, the Tango, narrower than many motorbikes, can cut through heavy traffic, and due to its small size can park virtually anywhere, even perpendicularly to the curb. The zero-pollution Tango provides 60-80 miles of range between charges with standard lead-acid batteries and can recharge from any 110v or 220v supply. As an electric vehicle, the Tango can access carpool and HOV lanes and in the UK is exempt from the $8 London entry fee and parks for free.

In the U.S. the Tango T600 will be supplied as a kit car requiring less than a day of assembly. In the U.K. and Europe Tangos will be available fully assembled.

A fully refundable $10,000 deposit is required to place a T600 order. Deposits are held in a third party escrow company and can be retrieved at any time. Initial customer deliveries are planned to commence early in 2005.

The Tango T200 and T100 may be pre-ordered with deposits of $1,000 and $500, respectively.

Founded in 2001, Commuter Cars (based in Spokane, WA) developed the Ultra Narrow Tango after its founders experienced Los Angeles traffic.

---- Specifications ----

Price
$85,000

Production
--

Engine
twin electric

Weight
--

Aspiration
--

Torque
1000 lb-ft

HP
--

HP/Weight
--

HP/Liter
--

1/4 mile
--

0-60 mph
4 seconds

Top Speed
150 mph

6'bore
11-30-2005, 01:57 PM
Tango T600 2

11-30-2005, 02:17 PM
i hope thats a chop...

EDIT: I understand that its real, im just pointing out how, well silly it looks

6'bore
11-30-2005, 02:18 PM
i hope thats a chop...

Commuter Cars is now accepting orders and deposits for the Tango Ultra-Narrow Electric Car. The first model available is the $85,000 Tango T600. The $39,900 Tango T200 and the $18,700 T100 will follow in 2006 and 2007, respectively.

Read before you post please. :rolleyes:

jaromull
11-30-2005, 02:19 PM
A pretty nice idea, but still it lookes like having been squeezed between two trucks.

yalim10
11-30-2005, 02:22 PM
What kind of an engine does it have? Smaller than a golf cart and 150mph huh? People would die in it pretty easy...

11-30-2005, 02:24 PM
What kind of an engine does it have? Smaller than a golf cart and 150mph huh? People would die in it pretty easy...
0-60 in 4 secs! wow! now i really dont believe this is real!

jaromull
11-30-2005, 02:31 PM
0-60 in 4 secs! wow! now i really dont believe this is real!
Why ? Electric engines have many advantages in comparison with those ordinary combustion ones ! Their torque has not anything in common with the revvs, e.g. There is not any output waste for gearbox and things like that. So why not ?

Vindesh17
11-30-2005, 05:28 PM
this is a way to die while being environmentally friendly and a speed demon at the same time.

Egg Nog
11-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Awesome, what a sleeper.

Clivey
11-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Awesome, what a sleeper.

So much so that you'd be embarrassed to drive one...

...two things though: 1. That thing aint gonna be stable; 2. If you had an accident in that...you'd come out in a small, environmentally friendly matchbox.

CHEESE-TACULAR
11-30-2005, 06:39 PM
theres something about this car

that i like!

Lets Gekiga In
11-30-2005, 07:52 PM
...two things though: 1. That thing aint gonna be stable
Bulls***

http://www.commutercars.com/images/theater/marinaAutocross/marina_mpg.html

90ft
12-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Come on . .. you missed the best image

The drag stip.

jorismo
12-01-2005, 03:12 AM
Ok, it has the performance, all it needs now are the looks... You should get more for $85.000...

carweb
12-01-2005, 02:25 PM
I dont want to do the elk test (does it have that name in other countries?) in this car.

jorismo
12-01-2005, 02:30 PM
I dont want to do the elk test (does it have that name in other countries?) in this car.

Perhaps you could explaine what an 'elk test' should be??? :confused:

Jack_Bauer
12-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Perhaps you could explaine what an 'elk test' should be??? :confused:

A sudden, sharp direction change whilst travelling in a straight line at a steady pace (ie as if you were swerving to avoid an elk that walked out into the road!).

It's basically a test as to how likely a car is to topple over during sudden direction changes. I believe the test really gained notoriety after the first model year Mercedes A-Class attained infamy by being spectacularly BAD at this test, causing Mercedes to drastically overhaul the suspension geometry etc. :rolleyes:

SUVs/4x4s are notoriously bad at these kinds of tests too. Basically anything tall with a relatively narrow track is gonna be asking for trouble, like this particular oddity. :)

Clivey
12-02-2005, 02:23 AM
Bulls***

http://www.commutercars.com/images/theater/marinaAutocross/marina_mpg.html

I can't use that link from college so I can't even respond until later tonight...other than to say that I seriously doubt that something that tall (when compared to its width) would be stable on the motorway (the wind would batter it even worse than a Transit van) and around corners.

Clivey
12-02-2005, 02:23 AM
A sudden, sharp direction change whilst travelling in a straight line at a steady pace (ie as if you were swerving to avoid an elk that walked out into the road!).

It's basically a test as to how likely a car is to topple over during sudden direction changes. I believe the test really gained notoriety after the first model year Mercedes A-Class attained infamy by being spectacularly BAD at this test, causing Mercedes to drastically overhaul the suspension geometry etc. :rolleyes:

SUVs/4x4s are notoriously bad at these kinds of tests too. Basically anything tall with a relatively narrow track is gonna be asking for trouble, like this particular oddity. :)

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Lets Gekiga In
12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
I can't use that link from college so I can't even respond until later tonight...other than to say that I seriously doubt that something that tall (when compared to its width) would be stable on the motorway (the wind would batter it even worse than a Transit van) and around corners.
You'll be pleasantly surprised, or in for a rude awakening. Whichever you prefer. :p

Clivey
12-02-2005, 02:47 PM
You'll be pleasantly surprised, or in for a rude awakening. Whichever you prefer. :p

Pleasantly suprised, all the weight (electric motors, battery etc.) must be on the floor...like the recent GM platform but smaller. The suspension must feel like sitting on a pneumatic drill though...:p and 80 miles on a charge? The only thing that'll beat is the Ford GT!!!:D

The only other thing is the price, but then if it took off, the technology and the vehicle would become cheaper. Still wouldn't want to be seen in one though, it looks like a mobility scooter on steroids! They should try a bike with the same tech, the shape would be more appealing.

ZeTurbo
12-02-2005, 08:48 PM
people would laugh... that would be untill you smoked them!!!
Awsome little thing. If I had the means, i would most definatly BUY one!

suzq044
12-02-2005, 09:36 PM
lol @ the autorcross video.. that thing looks rediculous..its got some decent competition in the looks dept tho.. google obvio [and click the obvio USA--then click the 012 link] .. its better lookin.. dunno if it would be faster? 1600lbs+250hp midEngine+RWD+9"wide rear tires.. make up yer own mind-- i'm checkin it out @ the LA auto show.

PerfAdv
12-03-2005, 01:45 AM
If a light-assembly ran across the entire width it'd look more like a motorbike and less like a squashed car.