PDA

View Full Version : Pass the butter. This is interesting

Zytek_Fan
12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Pass the Butter!

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW…the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end… it gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only, because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine…

It is very high in trans fatty acids.

It has triple the risk of coronary heart disease.

It increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol.)

Margarine increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Margarine lowers the quality of breast milk.

Margarine decreases immune response.

Margarine decreases insulin response.

And here’s the most disturbing fact… HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC…

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance.)

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

h00t_h00t
12-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Source?

PBB
Never eaten margarine voluntarily, it has that sticky slimy filmy texture that reminds me of water-resistant electrolytic grease. :icky:

car_fiend
wow... that's come crazy stuff man. glad i've never had margarine.

Source? yeah. what he said.

h00t_h00t
12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm very interested, I've only ever eaten Marge.

Zytek_Fan
12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
It was compiled mainly from a Harvard Medical School study

Quiggs
12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
You ever notice if you get condensation in a tub of margarine, it'll just sit there and look at you? It doesn't absorb into the margarine or anything. That's not normal... I don't eat margarine.

PerfAdv
12-02-2005, 05:30 PM
I started to avoid any hydrogenated products a few years ago. Check and you'll see how prevalent it is. It's used to extend shelf life, not yours. :)

I switched to a non-hydorgenated canola spread but I'll research to see if it is essentially a dolled up margerine.

Good posting, thankx.

clutch-monkey
12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
margarine looks like petroleum jelly before it is coloured. and a week after i visited the factory, the soles of my shoes rotted off.

Matra et Alpine
12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
HOw old is that data ?
Trans fatty acids are way below half of what they used to be.
Don't know what YOU guys get but the predominant content of margarine is vegetable oil usually from soya bean !!
Cholesterol can be actively LOWERED eating the latest gen margarines.

I think you've maybe got a whipped up list by someone with an agenda there :D

Matra et Alpine
12-02-2005, 05:34 PM
You ever notice if you get condensation in a tub of margarine, it'll just sit there and look at you? It doesn't absorb into the margarine or anything. That's not normal... I don't eat margarine.
WAter and oils' don't mix :D
You ever see a block of butter dissolve into a jar of water ?
No ? Funny that eh :D

h00t_h00t
12-02-2005, 05:41 PM
I just can't win

*goes back to eating dry bread*

Quiggs
12-02-2005, 05:54 PM
WAter and oils' don't mix :D
You ever see a block of butter dissolve into a jar of water ?
No ? Funny that eh :D
No, I'm not crazy enough to try to mix butter and water.:)

Zytek_Fan
12-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I found it on google

The_Canuck
12-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC…

and water is one molecule away from being a very combustable gas...

Zytek_Fan
12-02-2005, 06:17 PM
margarine looks like petroleum jelly before it is coloured. and a week after i visited the factory, the soles of my shoes rotted off.
Really?

clutch-monkey
12-02-2005, 06:20 PM
yeah, its pretty disgusting looking stuff before they colour it. and the chemicals they use that were present on the floor pretty much rotted my shoes.
i won't even start on chiko rolls.

SLY-PSI
12-02-2005, 06:55 PM
I knew there was something fishy going on with that stuff....

Lol chicko rolls, anything that comes from a bainmarie is suspicious to me...

Matra et Alpine
12-02-2005, 06:56 PM
yeah, its pretty disgusting looking stuff before they colour it. and the chemicals they use that were present on the floor pretty much rotted my shoes.
i won't even start on chiko rolls.
ANY oils will take out synthetic soles.
Why do you think guys in workshops wear work boots ??

This is one of those interesting but irrelevant facts on margarine. It doesn't mean it hurts you. After all if I drop my newspaper in a puddle of water it's ruined, doesn't mean water damages ME :D

Zytek_Fan
12-02-2005, 07:14 PM
I think it is another one of those things stating unnatural things are bad for you

Matra et Alpine
12-02-2005, 07:27 PM
I think it is another one of those things stating unnatural things are bad for you
Deadly Nightshade is a natural plant.
Cynide is "natural".
Being trampled by a herd of stampeding elephants is "natural".

Plasma is "man made" from blood.
Insulin is "man made" using genetic engineering molecular biology techniques.

Life's never that simple :D

NSXType-R
12-02-2005, 08:55 PM
I never liked margarine. I'm pretty interested in cooking and I know the good stuff from the bad stuff. :D You can try cooking margarine the same way as butter but it will never come up with the same flavor. :rolleyes:

Zytek_Fan
12-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I always use butter for cooking because it makes things taste better :D

my porsche
12-02-2005, 11:00 PM
I never liked margarine. I'm pretty interested in cooking and I know the good stuff from the bad stuff. :D You can try cooking margarine the same way as butter but it will never come up with the same flavor. :rolleyes:
probably becuase it scorches too easily, same with low fat butter, i tried it once, and flour/sugar/ any dry additive wont blend properly reuslting in a lumpy sauce or since i tried it also with bananas foster, a big mess of melted brown sugar with what is essentially clarified butter on top, yuck, so basically the lesson is, full fat butter

Tourbillon
12-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Wow. Interesting.

Matra et Alpine
12-03-2005, 06:23 AM
probably becuase it scorches too easily, same with low fat butter, i tried it once, and flour/sugar/ any dry additive wont blend properly reuslting in a lumpy sauce or since i tried it also with bananas foster, a big mess of melted brown sugar with what is essentially clarified butter on top, yuck, so basically the lesson is, full fat butter
or at least NOT he "easy spread squirted into a tub" marg.
You need to watch temps but baked many cakes and sauces using marg yuo ahve to adjust to suit.
Dut I do MUCH prefer the taste of butter.

my porsche
12-03-2005, 07:50 AM
or at least NOT he "easy spread squirted into a tub" marg.
You need to watch temps but baked many cakes and sauces using marg yuo ahve to adjust to suit.
Dut I do MUCH prefer the taste of butter.
yeah baking you can just substitute it and adjust, but sauces and bananas foster arent baked ;)

if youd like i can tell you how to make bananas foster, its basically the best thing bananas have ever been in, its incredible

Matra et Alpine
12-03-2005, 08:37 AM
yeah baking you can just substitute it and adjust, but sauces and bananas foster arent baked ;)

if youd like i can tell you how to make bananas foster, its basically the best thing bananas have ever been in, its incredible
I've been served that in a NO restaurant.
Very spectaculr if it's the same thing - I think it is.
A caramelised sauce with bananas and flaming banana liquer and rum ?
Some story of voodoo dust :D I think when they threw cinnamon into the flames.

is it that, lovely flavours and VERY sepactcular.
If you've got a full recipe please post or send it as I'm up for doing it as my mouth is watering at the memory of the flavour :D
If tisis NOT it, then post the ercipe anyway!!!!!

Only "Stork" marg in the UK I've ever found suitable for caramelizing.

12-03-2005, 08:45 AM
and water is one molecule away from being a very combustable gas...
no, on its own you have Hydrogen, which is explosive, and Oxygen, which contains fuel for fires, and what do we do? Spray it on Naked Flames!

my porsche
12-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I've been served that in a NO restaurant.
Very spectaculr if it's the same thing - I think it is.
A caramelised sauce with bananas and flaming banana liquer and rum ?
Some story of voodoo dust :D I think when they threw cinnamon into the flames.

is it that, lovely flavours and VERY sepactcular.
If you've got a full recipe please post or send it as I'm up for doing it as my mouth is watering at the memory of the flavour :D
If tisis NOT it, then post the ercipe anyway!!!!!

Only "Stork" marg in the UK I've ever found suitable for caramelizing.
your talking about brennan's, yes? if not it was a cheap copy ;)

yeah the 'voodoo dust' is just cinnamon being thrown into the flame, it sparks orange,

ok the recipe is pretty simple, tastes great, MUST be served over ice cream and will impress your friends:

-1/2 cup of butter
-1 cup packed brown sugar
-6 Tbsp light or dark rum (i use dark it has a better flavour)
-4 ripe bananas, sliced however you like, i usualy do hlaves lengthwise and then quarter those
-1/2Tsp ground cinamon
-4 scoops vanilla ice cream

melt the butter and brown suagr and 2Tbsp rum, once its melted add bananas, simmer for a minute, pour in remaining rum, tilt pan towards flame (easier to use a kitchen torch or LONG match) this is where you sprinkle in the cinamon on the flame, then if you want more cinamon add it after the flame dies, once flames die, spoon over ice cream

voila, takes about 5 minutes and its one of my favorite things to make

Matra et Alpine
12-03-2005, 08:55 AM
your talking about brennan's, yes? if not it was a cheap copy ;)
Can't remember it was 4-5 years ago. But it was on company expenses with important folks from the telcos so it woudlnt' have been cheap :D

Thasnk for the recipe, will get bananas tomorrow :D

my porsche
12-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Can't remember it was 4-5 years ago. But it was on company expenses with important folks from the telcos so it woudlnt' have been cheap :D

Thasnk for the recipe, will get bananas tomorrow :D
yeah thats brennan's, they created it, along with pralines, oysters rockefeller and alot of the best food ever known to human kind, its about $100-150 or so a head depending on what you get, my grandparents took me there and i got two appetisers, a salad, a soup, an entree, a dessert and a coffee, thank god i didnt have to pay :p