PDA

View Full Version : Beginner (me) just bough Revell Enzo Kit

6speed
12-06-2005, 12:57 PM
I bought this 1/24 scale Revell Kit today, and it looks pretty hard. I was thinking of painting the car black, with black interior, red calipers, and red cam covers. If all you guys that are good with models can give me some tips. First of all, how do I paint the body? Do I need to buy primer? And how many layers of black paint do I need? And how do I recreate the look of CF on the underbody (the underbody is plastic, as is the rest of the car). I hope you guys can give me some help. Also, I know that If I slightly burn the tips of the mufflers with a lighter, I can recreate the effect of exhaust burn. I wanna make this car look as real as possible.

henk4
12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
You may need primer, because I suppose the plastic is red. buy some automotive paints, a dark/grey primer and a can of black spray paint.
Spray 2 coats of primer, sand lightly and then 2 or 3 layers of black, first layer just a mist, second a little bit more and the 3rd a full/wet layer.
If the paint looks like orange peel, sand (fine paper) and polish, until you get a smooth surface.

That should be enough for a starter.:D

Carbon fibre is available a decal sheets. Check the website of Scale Motor Sports

jaromull
12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
I usually used Tamiya gloss spray bottles for car kits. Their gloss finish is the best I was ever able to atain. Use them in more thin layers finishing with one thicker. This last layer must be treated like a real car to be really gloss, i.e. use, say Tamyia Compound for rubbing down and smoothing and finish it by polishing with something very fine, you can even use the toothpaste without any granules and whiteing agents, of course. Do not use anything for a real car polishing at this stage. It is too sharp for polishing modelling paints ! You could better to try the procedure on something else before switching to your Enzo.

henk4
12-06-2005, 02:33 PM
if you are a beginner, you will be scared off by the prices of Tamiya spray paints, that's why I suggested automotive paint.

For polishing you can buy the "final detail" cornubia wax, it is not available in Europe any more.

Esperante
12-06-2005, 04:16 PM
You may need primer, because I suppose the plastic is red.
Nah, this sucker's white. Like 99% of all Revells.

I have little good to say about this model. I built it about a year ago and encountered numerous faults with the design of the parts. The hood fits terribly (but, so I've heard, neither do the Tamiyas). If you're going to paint it go Tamiya Spray. SUre, 5 or 6 bucks is a bit pricey but the quality of the coat is excellent every time (save the mica/metallic colours, but with work they're fabulous), and little experience with spraying is necessary with Tamiya paints.

You will only recreate exhaust burn on the tail-pipes with a lighter if the pipes were metal, which they aren't. If you tried burning the plastic pipes on this kit you'd probably just char and or melt the plastic.

You picked on helluva toughie for your first. :D

carsnut
12-06-2005, 05:30 PM
6Speed - a revell enzo is a pretty tough first car. good luck

one of the problems is that when you install the car onto the body, the front rear overhang is too close.

Anyways, I worked on the revell enzo before, so if you encounter any sort of problems or have a question, don't hesitate to ask me and/or the other guys here at UCP kits corner

caddyshack
02-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I primered mine, then sanded with 2000. Sprayed it with Italian Red enamel. Sanded lightly with 3000. Sprayed it again, and that's where I'm at. Going to light sand again and give it another coat. Hopefully that will take care of some orange peel. This is the first "level 3" I've worked on. Definitley more of a challange.

I couldn't upload the picture, said the file was too big, but I'll try to get another.

caddyshack
02-10-2006, 05:17 PM
One more light sanding with 3000 grit and another coat.

caddyshack
02-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Still working on my photography skills!:confused: