PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari Mythos (Tamiya) *Progress*

NuclearCrap
12-09-2005, 11:45 AM
OK I've started it. Now somebody please tell me exactly how I should use the Tamiya Polishing Compound before I do anything stupid. :rolleyes:

Dino Scuderia
12-09-2005, 12:25 PM
You don't have to....but it's best to clear coat over your color if you are going to polish to save you from burning through to the plastic, 2 or 3 coats of clear is enough. Once you are more experienced at polishing you can polish with less chance of a burn through.

Just put a little dab of polish on a tee shirt which is stretched over your finger and rub the paint in a circular motion with a fair amount of pressure. The fine grit in the polish cream needs the friction to heat the surface enough to smooth it. Rub til you feel that the polish for that round has stopped working, then move your finger to a clean spot in the shirt and repeat.

The more polish you put on the more it will cut the paint so as you get the orange peel finish removed lessen the amount of cream you rub with and it will shine the paint like glass. Do one section at a time and be careful around any edges because that is where you'll likely burn through. Don't expect perfection on this first one, but if you have the patience to master this you'll want all your models to look polished.

NuclearCrap
12-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'm working on it, wait........no...........I have to work on my goddamn science project first:mad:..............hopefully I get more time tonight.:)

NuclearCrap
12-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Orange peels are going fast.....starting to look good, pics coming soon!! :)

Btw, should I get rid of the remaining compound on the body with cold or warm water?

Dino Scuderia
12-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Orange peels are going fast.....starting to look good, pics coming soon!! :)

Btw, should I get rid of the remaining compound on the body with cold or warm water?

Great! Use warm water, but you shouldn't have any residue except for in the panel lines etc.

carsnut
12-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the tip, I'm working on it, wait........no...........I have to work on my goddamn science project first:mad:..............hopefully I get more time tonight.:)

science project...................... dude, i have a core project and like 3 tests before i'm off to winter break. hurry up and finish the science project, if you do, you'll probably have more time on the mythos, and please, don't crap up your project on purpose. just work on the mythos during lunch or recess

My tips:

1. backpack, take out anything you don't need!!!!!! you'll be able to get a bigger box and your load will be much lighter

2. some sorta box. use like the hard part of your lunch pail(if you have the ones with the freezer box bottoms), a small box(pencilboxes work fine, if a pencilbox isn't accessible, use those clear plastic food boxes and line it with paper so you don't get it dirty and it will still be usable for food when you are done, just make sure to wash it though)

3. cement, superglue or anything else you need. just make sure you take your time and using what you have, try making jigs and VITAL: make sure the box stays in one position, otherwise the glue won't be able to settle and you'll end up with crap

4. What not to do:
1. Don't bring anything sharp like hobby knives and exacto blades(you'll probably end up getting expelled or something). it's ok to bring sprue cutters, just make sure they don't rip through ur backpack(put in box) and that they aren't too sharp

2. No paint to school!!! one or a few nights before, paint all parts then. cement together at school

5. What to do:

1. be sure to do it in a place where no one will see you. if there are no low-visiblity areas on ur campus(where are you in california?? i also live in CA:D ), i recommend the tolietry, where no one will see you(just like how some peoples use their cell phones in there during recess or lunch) and of course, close the door

2. the obvious one. do as much homework as you can during class(like handouts or worksheets) and if you have to, use recess to do homework and work on the model during lunch

NuclearCrap
12-10-2005, 04:05 AM
science project......................

...............mmmmmkay. :rolleyes: I only have a biomes project that would take me a couple days. :) It's all really about drawing and photocopying. I'll never bring my model to school, accidents happen, so I'm gonna avoid if I can. Back to the subject, I finally made some progress. My Mythos sure enjoyed the shower. :D Btw, how is it? It's my first time using the polishing compound.

carsnut
12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
not too bad.....I dun't know since i've never used poilshing compound before

henk4
12-11-2005, 11:54 AM
well, just wondering whether you did some sanding before polishing (2000 grit). It will take away almost all orange peel, and the rest can be taken care of by the polishing compound. Which one did you use? The coarse or the fine one? The result looks good as far as I can see:)

carsnut
12-11-2005, 04:07 PM
does automotive polishing compound work(if there is one:confused: )?

Zondaboy1
12-16-2005, 01:58 PM
i envy your painting and polishing skills :(

NuclearCrap
12-16-2005, 04:59 PM
i envy your painting and polishing skills :(

You'll make somebody envy of your skills soon, this is like the second model I'm making in 2005. :)

Zondaboy1
02-22-2006, 03:06 PM
are you serious?
thats impressive
i have to get my hands on some more cash. i want to buy either a 360 kit or enzo kit the thing is i also want to get a 360 1/18 i think i'm going to an enzo
look for updates in 3-4 weeks