PDA

View Full Version : For the non-gamers Delta S4 rally car

MrKipling
12-12-2005, 02:15 PM
I was doing some research for work today (I love my job) on the Delta S4 rally car and i found a couple of facts you guys will probably enjoy:

It did 0-60mph in 2.3s. On Gravel.

When it was being raced in the 'WRC' it lapped Estoril at a demo quick enough to qualify 6th at that year's GP.

I'm sure you'll all agree: Holy. Crap.

Suka
12-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Wasn't the roll cage of the Intergrale Rally car filled with nitros oxide (in secret)?? Or so i've heard. Thats why it went up in flames so quickly, or am i thinking of another car.

MrKipling
12-12-2005, 03:01 PM
No it is the right car, but somewhat more worryingly the 'fire extinguisher system' was filled with N2O. A double hit!

:Exige:
12-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Lol - sssshh guys, you'll give them ricers some ideas ;) I love Lancia race cars, with a passion. Beta Montecarlo is my favourite (if i haven't got my names mixed up).
http://www.cabrionews.de/ontour/01/maranello/belanck.jpg

pimento
12-13-2005, 06:16 AM
037. Based loosely on the Monte Carlo, I think.

McReis
12-13-2005, 06:17 AM
No it is the right car, but somewhat more worryingly the 'fire extinguisher system' was filled with N2O. A double hit!

I believe that's a made up story. The car was totally made in fiberglass and the fuel tanks were under the seats. That's a powerful enough explosive.

Wouter Melissen
12-13-2005, 06:43 AM
037. Based loosely on the Monte Carlo, I think.

Beta Monte Carlo:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=1104

NuclearCrap
12-13-2005, 07:46 AM
Wow......I only knew a few Lancia rally cars, they're.........holy crap. :D Greatest rally cars ever. Period.

MrKipling
12-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Yeah, but an explosion doesn't leave a roll cage and nothing else. Aside from that, no matter how heavy an impact, a racing car shouldn't 'explode' in the Hollywood sense of the word - the extinguisher system should fire automatically and, in the 80's, it probably would have been a Halon 'Fire Eater' kit. If they had extinguishant in that car, I'll drink a bottle of it!

McReis
12-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Yeah, but an explosion doesn't leave a roll cage and nothing else. Aside from that, no matter how heavy an impact, a racing car shouldn't 'explode' in the Hollywood sense of the word - the extinguisher system should fire automatically and, in the 80's, it probably would have been a Halon 'Fire Eater' kit. If they had extinguishant in that car, I'll drink a bottle of it!

If a tank full of racing gas really blows inside a fiberglass car, believe me, there is no extinguishant that can stop the car from burning it's bones.

Remember that fiberglass burns in a way very similar to a string of nylon. Now try to set fire on a string of nylon and watch it dissapear. Scary isn't it? ;)

MrKipling
12-13-2005, 08:26 AM
But you don't have 'a tank full of racing gas', you have a foam-filled bag that CANNOT explode and Halon consumes oxygen (hence the fact that it's now illegal in motor sport - I can check my Blue Book and give you a reg number if you like!) - fairly crucial for a fire. The other thing is, fires that are the result of an accident nearly always start in the engine bay where there are lots of extinguisher nozels. It would never reach the cabin in normal circumstances.

Like I said, If they had extinguishant in that car, I'll drink a bottle of it.

Mustang
12-13-2005, 09:34 AM
hokay then mr i know it all... you really thing that your blue book to 2005 STANDARDS! will show the standards that the 1980's Group B cars were made to, i know a guy on another forum who races in british rallying now who used to work on the old quattro rally cars and they used to do all sorts of things...

oh and here is a pic of my engine bay lol 2005 standards and only 2 little nozzles, if i had a big crash into toivonen fire there is no way it owuld of stopped it

MrKipling
12-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Sorry, you appear to have not bothered to make a point.

As for the Blue Book, I was refering to Halon being made illegal. Now piss off, you obnoxious child.

Mustang
12-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Erm.... Yes...

McReis
12-13-2005, 09:51 AM
with the intensity of vattinens fire there is no way it owuld of stopped it

Do you mean Toivonen or Vatanen?

To both of you and as a moderator, I would like to disencourage childish posts (Mustang's last) or offensive words (from Mr. Kipling's last). That usually only leads to an escalade of bad posts that often lead to a bad end. So lets keep this discussion like it is, since obviously I won't agree with Mr. Kipling's point of view and neither does Mustang, but we also don't need to force him to see things as we do. I don't believe those "nitrous" stuff as Mr. Kipling doesn't believe that a tank inside a fiberglass car would explode.
So what?

Please, Mustang, make your posts with correct english, otherwise I can't get your ideas...

MrKipling
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Henri Toivonen was driving.

I'm done now, McR

RacingManiac
12-13-2005, 09:56 AM
I think the story was actually about the Magnesium Tube framed Porsche 917LH from 71. The Tube frame were welded then pressurized with nitrogen gas, then a pressure gauge was placed at the cockpit to monitor the pressure. As magnesium frame were very light and rigid "enough". But they have poor crack propagation property, and as a result any crack will likely result in catastrophic failure really quickly. So the idea is that as soon as the pressure drops, the driver has to bail out as the frame is cracking....

Mustang
12-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Do you mean Toivonen or Vatanen?

*magic pixie dust*

To both of you and as a moderator, I would like to disencourage childish posts (Mustang's last) or offensive words (from Mr. Kipling's last). That usually only leads to an escalade of bad posts that often lead to a bad end. So lets keep this discussion like it is, since obviously I won't agree with Mr. Kipling's point of view and neither does Mustang, but we also don't need to force him to see things as we do. I don't believe those "nitrous" stuff as Mr. Kipling doesn't believe that a tank inside a fiberglass car would explode.
So what?

Please, Mustang, make your posts with correct english, otherwise I can't get your ideas...

Ill keep my posts alrite... you know me :) just there wasnt really anyhting atall in his post that made any sense

McReis
12-13-2005, 10:12 AM
just there wasnt really anyhting atall in his post that made any sense

And if something in yours did, I really couldn't get it because of your way of writting. What a mess! And your the brit here!:rolleyes:

Mustang
12-13-2005, 10:36 AM
And if something in yours did, I really couldn't get it because of your way of writting. What a mess! And your the brit here!:rolleyes:

i have lazy finger syndrome

MrKipling
12-13-2005, 11:11 AM
or brain.

Ferrer
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
I read somewhere that it was Group A Deltas the ones filled with nitrous oxide rollcages, don't know if it's true.

Mustang
12-13-2005, 01:22 PM
or brain.

Oh look another top class whitty remark ...

Matra et Alpine
12-13-2005, 01:25 PM
I read somewhere that it was Group A Deltas the ones filled with nitrous oxide rollcages, don't know if it's true.
Never heard of that and WHY would you fill with Nitrous ?
I'm betting htis is a confusion with Nitrogen !!
There are lighter and safer gasses :D

Ferrer
12-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Alright I have found it, it's in the Car May 2004 issue, in the 100 coolest car feature. Number 18 is the Lancia Delta Integrale, they wrote:

"To gain the edge the Lancia team filled the roll cages with nitrous oxide. the potential consequences of rolling the car were unthinkable."

Wouter Melissen
12-13-2005, 02:19 PM
or brain.

If you have nothing to contribute, don't post. You were already warned for your childish remarks.

i have lazy finger syndrome

Lazy finger syndrom must only affect your typing and not your hitting the 'Reply' button. If you turned these around, we'll all be happy.

This is the last off-topic post in this thread.

ZeTurbo
12-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Alright I have found it, it's in the Car May 2004 issue, in the 100 coolest car feature. Number 18 is the Lancia Delta Integrale, they wrote:

"To gain the edge the Lancia team filled the roll cages with nitrous oxide. the potential consequences of rolling the car were unthinkable."
geee, were the advantages of such thing THAT great to justify the use?

Evil Ewok
12-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Ah, the sweet smell of UCP sarcasm and debate. Have to love it.