PDA

View Full Version : I had a bit of an accident...

Egg Nog
02-23-2004, 01:00 AM
I forgot to tell you guys earlier, but about a week ago I had a small accident in the 914. :(

Coming up the highway doing about 65km/h, I was angled right into the sun, and it was pretty much blinding. Anyway, I reduced my speed to compensate for everything, but unfortunately, the guy ahead of me slammed on his brakes. I wasn't tailgating him in any way, but I didn't see him until it was too late because of the sun. I rear-ended the guy ahead of me, in his late-eighties Cavalier :( :eek:

Anyway, now I'm giving the body shop around $3000 to get it ship-shape again. Luckily for me nobody was hurt - the difference in speed was relatively little, and it was only a bit of a jolt for both of us. Also, lucky for my insurance, there was zero damage to his car. As in, nothing at all. Zip. Nada.

I suppose it just goes to show how well Karmann designed those crumple zones :)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. I'll take a few pictures if I remember to take a camera to the bodyshop next time I pay my car a visit. :(

-Shawn

Smoke
02-23-2004, 01:04 AM
ouch.Hope you get your car runnin again.To bad both cars couldn't have not been damaged....

Niko_Fx
02-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Aww that's too bad man, thank god you and the other person are ok. What car do you have?

The other day I was at a traffic light waiting for the green light and a guy in an Audi hit the lady who's car was behind mine, her car bounced and hit mine. After I was hit I felt such a hard impact that I told myself "I don't even wanna go out of the car cause I don't want to see it" I thought the car was destroyed in the back. Luckily for me when I got out my car it was perfect not even a scratch. It's amazing the way they do car these days, they absorb the hits. I did end up with pain neck but nothing else.

But hey, I hope everything comes out fine. It happens to everybody.

Egg Nog
02-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Aww that's too bad man, thank god you and the other person are ok. What car do you have?

1974 Porsche 914-4 2.0. My little baby :)

All factory options, progressive Auto-X springs, and Pacesetter Dual Exhaust. It's still very much a work in progress, so the accident only served to postpone it further, especially financially :(

Niko_Fx
02-23-2004, 06:22 PM
1974 Porsche 914-4 2.0. My little baby :)

All factory options, progressive Auto-X springs, and Pacesetter Dual Exhaust. It's still very much a work in progress, so the accident only served to postpone it further, especially financially :(

Nice car!!

I know what you mean......... It takes a lot of money to put a car the way you want it.... mine is a work in progress too, almost 3 years with it and thi
s is what I've been able to put on him. The only things you don't see are a stereo, an air intake and headers.

sandwich
02-23-2004, 06:45 PM
at least you are not le dead

Are you going to pay the 3000 to have it fixed? You could buy a parts 914 for that, and then have the bad parts fixed

Egg Nog
02-23-2004, 11:24 PM
at least you are not le dead

Are you going to pay the 3000 to have it fixed? You could buy a parts 914 for that, and then have the bad parts fixed

The thing is, it's just collision damage. The only thing damaged that could be replaced is one of the headlights, which I already scored quite a deal on. Other than that, though, not much. Also, I couldn't swap fenders or anything even if it was necessary, because it's a unibody.

Your Kelmark used a few 914 parts, didn't it?

fpv_gtho
02-24-2004, 03:51 AM
The other day I was at a traffic light waiting for the green light and a guy in an Audi hit the lady who's car was behind mine, her car bounced and hit mine. After I was hit I felt such a hard impact that I told myself "I don't even wanna go out of the car cause I don't want to see it" I thought the car was destroyed in the back. Luckily for me when I got out my car it was perfect not even a scratch. It's amazing the way they do car these days, they absorb the hits. I did end up with pain neck but nothing else

to me that sounds more like how cars used to be built, not how theyre built now.

Niko_Fx
02-24-2004, 06:49 AM
to me that sounds more like how cars used to be built, not how theyre built now.

Ok I see what you mean. Yes it sounds like and old hard/strong car but what I meant to say is that the bumbper is kind of flexible it bended when I was hit and then went back to it's normal position making my car bounce and absorbing the hit. In an old car I would have felt the hit a lot more that's why they were so dangerous, nothing would happen to the car but u were the one taking all the damage.

sandwich
02-24-2004, 06:55 AM
it uses a few. What kind of damage was done to your car?

edit....insert senseless spam: you could buy the kelmark for 3, and then drop your engine in it and finish it :D

Egg Nog
02-24-2004, 09:46 PM
edit....insert senseless spam: you could buy the kelmark for 3, and then drop your engine in it and finish it :D

And this would take me how long? :D

Seriously though, where is your car, how much are you asking, and what comes with it. I will search around for buyers for you.

sandwich
02-25-2004, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=Egg Nog]And this would take me how long? :D

QUOTE]

If you had the parts, it would'nt take too long at all. EVERYTHING is there, except the engine and one cv. All it needs is assembly, interior, and paint. The front end is already on, the rear is on just needs to be aligned...but I'll stop trying to pimp my junk on you.

And don't worry about finding buyers, the car is in NY and as far as I know you're on the other side, so shipping would be hellacious....I've had a few calls about it back home, but nobody has come to take it away....sad but not sad...I'm going to try and get a UR-Q and turn it into an S1....i need money :p

but i'm not sure you ever answered my Q...are you going to have it repaired? I still think you could find another 914 for less or equal...and then you'd have a parts car...$3000 seems like a lot to me.

Oh yeah, and if you do know/find anyone interested....let me know :-D I'm asking 4 with the engine and everything....

Egg Nog
02-25-2004, 04:31 PM
but i'm not sure you ever answered my Q...are you going to have it repaired? I still think you could find another 914 for less or equal...and then you'd have a parts car...$3000 seems like a lot to me...

It is quite a bit... however: First of all, I'm talking $3000 CAD, so that's not quite as much as you probably thought. Also, I feel somewhat of a spiritual connection with this car. As far as 914s go, it's also fairly valuable. It's got the most power that 914-4s came with, just the year before they were required to add a catalytic converter. It's got every single factory option available, as well as the extras I've put on it (which unlike modern rice-rocket modifications, actually add to the value ;)).

Anyway, repairs started about a week ago, and they should be done pretty soon. I'm getting pictures in about an hour, so I'll post them pretty soon.

Egg Nog
02-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Okay, got home and loaded some pictures up. Here you go, guys:

EDIT: As you might have noticed, my car was originally yellow, and then painted black :)

Batmobile_Turbo
02-25-2004, 10:33 PM
didn't you buy this badboy for under $1000?
i'm glad you and the other guy got out ok, and your beutiful car.