PDA

View Full Version : most expensive cars to own?

QuattroMan
12-16-2005, 09:01 AM
The full cost of ownership for any automobile can be eye popping. The figures for expensive luxury models are especially high because vehicle depreciation — the loss of resale value as a car, truck, van or sport utility vehicle ages — is the biggest single car ownership cost, said Michael Calkins, manager of approved auto repair for the AAA National Office. For a vehicle with a higher initial purchase price, the loss adds up to a greater monetary amount than it does for a low-cost car that began its life with little to lose.

Costly cars to own

• Mercedes-Benz CL-Class
• Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
• Porsche 911
• Mercedes-Benz S-Class
• BMW 7 Series
• Mercedes-Benz G-Class
• Jaguar XK
• Land Rover Range Rover HSE
• Acura NSX
• Dodge Viper SRT10

:Exige:
12-16-2005, 09:33 AM
And how much do I bet that there was an Audi in that list but you "forgot" to put it in ;)

Matt
12-16-2005, 10:00 AM
And how much do I bet that there was an Audi in that list but you "forgot" to put it in ;)

Nope, that's the full list.

RazaBlade
12-16-2005, 10:59 AM
I thought....depreciation-wise, 911's were supposed to be pretty good, holding about 2/3 of their value after 3 years (or along those lines). My info might well be out of date though.

Matra et Alpine
12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I thought....depreciation-wise, 911's were supposed to be pretty good, holding about 2/3 of their value after 3 years (or along those lines). My info might well be out of date though.
It depends, some do really well and some jstu suck.
Usually because the "performance" special version is replaced by a new "performance" version. Thus depleting the vlaue of the older one.
Here's a not so great example....
http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_car/valuation.aspx?deriv=22352&model=679&plate=70&pay=false&buyorsell=sell losing £50K !!
Versus the 4 Tiptronic "only" losing £17K over the 3 years.
http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/used_car/valuation.aspx?deriv=22331&model=679&plate=70&pay=false&buyorsell=sell
You can also play with this and find comparative figures for all the variants you like. Not as easy as having a "black book", but at least I dont' ahve to type it all out :D

QuattroMan
12-16-2005, 11:26 AM
i love to see it but it was not on this list,just to see what A8L would been.

kingofthering
12-16-2005, 02:32 PM
The full cost of ownership for any automobile can be eye popping. The figures for expensive luxury models are especially high because vehicle depreciation — the loss of resale value as a car, truck, van or sport utility vehicle ages — is the biggest single car ownership cost, said Michael Calkins, manager of approved auto repair for the AAA National Office. For a vehicle with a higher initial purchase price, the loss adds up to a greater monetary amount than it does for a low-cost car that began its life with little to lose.

Costly cars to own

• Mercedes-Benz CL-Class
• Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
• Porsche 911
• Mercedes-Benz S-Class
• BMW 7 Series
• Mercedes-Benz G-Class
• Jaguar XK
• Land Rover Range Rover HSE
• Acura NSX
• Dodge Viper SRT10
any car made in gemany is expensive to maintain.

Matra et Alpine
12-16-2005, 02:55 PM
VW ? http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/fleet/cost_of_ownership/whole_life_costs

Which cars are you using to decide ?
The 10s of thousands of Mercs driven by Taxi drivers all over Europe ? ( You ever known a taxi driver to chose an EXPESIVE to maintain car ?? )

I think your getting biased information based on cars sold in your market, parts costs in your market ( tho M-B are never cheap :) ) and 'proper' servicing costs. Have you looked wider in reaching the conclusion or did you want to refine your comment with region ?

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pricing.aspx?modelid=11352&src=vip US-based $1500-$2K per annum service.
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pricing.aspx?year=2005&make=Buick&model=Park%20Avenue&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=1&sub=-1 Buick "thingy" at $1500-$1600 ?
Not really a BIG difference - tho I admit it's only two sample points, but I'm trygin to second guess the cars that you were using in your analysis.

QuattroMan
12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
sorry matra beat me to it,:) German cars are well worth it.

coolieman1220
12-16-2005, 05:58 PM
german cars are great...until their warranty is up.

Cyco
12-17-2005, 05:54 AM
I was looking at a V12 powered italian with a bull on the bonnet earlier this week:

AU$600,000 + on roads new
Insurance ~AU$14,000 1st year (under 30)
Depreiation ~$150,000 in the 1st 2 years

Including servicing, but not fuel ~AU$200,000 in the 1st two years.

Matra et Alpine
12-17-2005, 05:59 AM
I was looking at a V12 powered italian with a bull on the bonnet earlier this week:

AU$600,000 + on roads new
Insurance ~AU$14,000 1st year (under 30)
Depreiation ~$150,000 in the 1st 2 years

Including servicing, but not fuel ~AU$200,000 in the 1st two years.
WHich is "only" 33%.

You want to go check out some other cars, 33 is not too bad :(

Go look up a stock Ford, they'll typically run 25% depreciation in year one and another 10-15 in year two. You're lucky to end year 2 at 50% !! And that is ONLY CAPTIAL VALUE, never mind the servicing costs and insurance

Looking at deperciation as a $$$ figure will always scare. The thread IS about "expensive to own" though so whether it's good value for a rich isn't allowed to enter it :D
But if you cafford the car you can afford the percentage drop in value - just liek the Ford/Holden

henk4
12-17-2005, 06:09 AM
If you keep cars long enough the overall depreciation will be more or less the same. Only if you plan to buy a new car every two or three years, you may want to look at the depreciation curve. One should also take into consideration that depreciation on a German car may be less, but you of by paying 10-20% more for the car, so you have to take that into account as for instance loss of interest.

Matra et Alpine
12-17-2005, 06:26 AM
Only if you plan to buy a new car every two or three years, you may want to look at the depreciation curve. One should also take into consideration that depreciation on a German car may be less,
point.

MINI is prime example in the UK right now for one year old depreciation.....

It is £400 !!

Yep, it costs you ONLY 400 pounds MORE to buy a BRAND NEW Mini rather than a one year old. Now THAT is sweet. Course once you're in to second year it starts to move towards the norm for cars that size :D

henk4
12-17-2005, 06:53 AM
point.

MINI is prime example in the UK right now for one year old depreciation.....

It is £400 !!

Yep, it costs you ONLY 400 pounds MORE to buy a BRAND NEW Mini rather than a one year old. Now THAT is sweet. Course once you're in to second year it starts to move towards the norm for cars that size :D

but look what you pay for a new Mini in the first place. Same, and even worse probably for a BMW 1-series...

Quiggs
12-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Used Minis here are often seen selling for more than original list price. At least for the first 2 years or so. VW R32's are also selling for roughly what they were new.

P3RG4R3C
12-18-2005, 03:37 AM
Which cars are you using to decide ?
The 10s of thousands of Mercs driven by Taxi drivers all over Europe ? ( You ever known a taxi driver to chose an EXPESIVE to maintain car ?? )

Here, here. :D First pic.

Image taken by Piacki. (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=447276&postcount=16)