PDA

View Full Version : Newbin' it up

Zondaboy1
12-16-2005, 01:48 PM
yhea im kinda new to modeling so i;ve taken it slow. i've started out with some Testor's kits like the Saleen S7 and Boss 302 (hot rod mag) the S7 was pre painted as the Boss 302 was. i applied the sticker decals on them both. i want to purchase an enzo/360 model but that would need real decals, soaked in water and all that
i wanted to know how to do that and one more thing
the S7 model needs the vents painted and thats it, i will choose testor's flat black paint. do i need thinner? do i need finish? i am painting ontop of prepainted metallic red/orange on a metal body.
on the boss 302 the black is chipped, the silver on the doors and all that is messed up and the white stripes paint coat was way way way to thin. i'm not sure what kind of paint it is but i'll be selecting silver, flat black and flat white
and some scratches on my 1/18 models have pissed me off so i'm going to touch them up too
do i need thiner? i have the colors. do i need finish?
what sized brush should i get? what are some tips like should i mix the paint
dilute it with water, concentrate it?? i am planning to get into modeling and i need some n00b tips to get me started,

any help will be thanked

thanks

anyone who has tips email me at (pm me for email)
as well as posting here cuz i get the stuff tommorrow but wont be on till next week i think

NuclearCrap
12-16-2005, 04:58 PM
You need sandpapers that's for sure, I would recommend re-painting the body. Get Tamiya sandpapers, anything finer than the medium set. Then sand the body, maybe if you want to apply primer too, then use the finest sandpaper you have, like the P1200, and sand the primer, then you spray it, use the polishing compound to polish it.

carsnut
12-17-2005, 12:06 AM
For an Enzo or 360 model, the only "real" models where you need to soak the decals in water are the Revell and Tamiya Enzo/360 kits. The Tamiya kits are superior, but can cost twice as much as the Revell. Besides, the Revell is easier to find.

It's best you use thinner(what type of paint are you using?). The only thinner I use is testors enamel thinner because the testors paint leaves a great finish and I use testors for that reason only since they make a thinner just for their enamels. Besides, the Testors paint isn't too expensive and can usually be found at any nearby hobby store(or shop, in the US at least)

Zondaboy1
12-17-2005, 06:27 AM
yhea i'm in the US theres an ok
i'll be using some flat testor's paint and some metallic colors
whats primer? is that the greyish whiteish gooey stuff?
will i need polish for the Enzo/360 model?
they have the Revell stuff at the shop near me but no tamiya
i've done there F50 kit before and umm that kinda.....drowned in paint....
what are some tips for sanding it down?
i might sand the boss but i wont sand the S7 because that has a nice finish
what size brushes do i need
BTW, i'll be touching up a 1:62 Auto Art Murcielago too