PDA

View Full Version : Which supercar is the safest at high speed crashing?

werty
02-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know or think they know what supercar is the most safe to be in when crashing at speeds over...lets say 190mph and up?

My quess would be either the Porsche GT, McClaren F1, or the Ferrari Enzo
and i only said those because of the amount of carbon fiber used in them
but i could be wrong

Doza
02-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know or think they know what supercar is the most safe to be in when crashing at speeds over...lets say 190mph and up?

My quess would be either the Porsche GT, McClaren F1, or the Ferrari Enzo
and i only said those because of the amount of carbon fiber used in them
but i could be wrong
Over that speed, you're dead no matter what. And Volvo hasn't made a supercar yet.

byronleehk
02-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Doza is right. At that speed you're dead meat anyways! Why do you think there are still fatal accidents in motorsports? :( Race cars are designed to go fast and be as safe as possible at the same time...but still...

werty
02-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Doza is right. At that speed you're dead meat anyways! Why do you think there are still fatal accidents in motorsports? :( Race cars are designed to go fast and be as safe as possible at the same time...but still...

i know what your thinking, but most supercars are designed to withstand crashes at their top speeds
i read in a Car and Driver magazine that the carbon fiber of the McClaren F1 and its "superior design" saved the driver when he hit the wall head on at over 200mph when he suddenly lost control of the vehicle
i just wanted to know if anyone knew if their is supercar that is safer than most others for high speeds

Doza
02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
i know what your thinking, but most supercars are designed to withstand crashes at their top speeds
i read in a Car and Driver magazine that the carbon fiber of the McClaren F1 and its "superior design" saved the driver when he hit the wall head on at over 200mph when he suddenly lost control of the vehicle
i just wanted to know if anyone knew if their is supercar that is safer than most others for high speeds
http://poseur.4x4.org/dominator.jpg
Kenworth Pilgrimage Super Dominator
(http://poseur.4x4.org/futuresuv.html)

- The ultimate SUV- Adds extra high roof/cathedral ceilings, power expandable sides, full lavatory, four cell-phones, white leather interior with lambswool carpets, TV/VCR/Nintendo 64, Sony DSS satellite, beer cooler (go ahead, drive drunk, nothing's gonna kill you in this thing!), and a permanent cellular link to the internet.

Niko_Fx
02-24-2004, 06:18 PM

Maybe if you get a giant airbag and put some wheels on it you can resist 300mph + ;)

Just kidding, I have no idea, Wish I could help you.

Batmobile_Turbo
02-24-2004, 06:21 PM
the SLR McLaren crahed into a VW golf and totaled it, but the SLR hadn't even barely a scratch.

werty
02-24-2004, 06:32 PM
the SLR McLaren crahed into a VW golf and totaled it, but the SLR hadn't even barely a scratch.

do you have a pic of it?

bum-man
02-24-2004, 06:50 PM
here you go
http://speed.supercars.net/boardpics/2003-10-19/1708619-Peloton25a.jpg
my pic would be the SLR mclaren or the mclaren F1
SLR mclaren because it has Mercedes DNA and it probably has the strongest of monocoques out of all the supercars.
the Mclaren F1 is said to be able to be in a 35mph accident and still drive away.

Egg Nog
02-24-2004, 08:57 PM
This really depends on the car, and the type of accident.

The McLaren crash was at 300km/h, but it was actually a rear-end collision. The F1's ingenious oversized integrated muffler chamber and crumple zone was largely to thank for the safety of the driver. I don't know if I'd be so trustful about a head-on at 250+ ;)

Anyway, lately I've heard great things safety-wise about both the Pagani Zonda and especially the Koenigsegg CC. I'd feel pretty safe in the SLR, though. Carbon fibre and its hideously overweight :D

Spastik_Roach
02-24-2004, 11:38 PM
This really depends on the car, and the type of accident. The McLaren crash was at 300km/h, but it was actually a rear-end collision. The F1's ingenious oversized integrated muffler chamber and crumple zone was largely to thank for the safety of the driver. I don't know if I'd be so trustful about a head-on at 250+ ;)
Anyway, lately I've heard great things safety-wise about both the Pagani Zonda and especially the Koenigsegg CC. I'd feel pretty safe in the SLR, though. Carbon fibre and its hideously overweight :D

Naturally. Anything the Swedes make must be able to hit an elk at any speed and be able to withstand it. But what about the poor old elk?

How about a Renault supercar? That must be safe. Pretty much every single Renault has got a 5 star in crash testing.

Chinky_boi
02-24-2004, 11:42 PM
really???? where you get that? because the slr mclaren is not out yet isnt it?? i thought only 1 is built so far

SL500
02-25-2004, 02:32 AM
Zonda and SLR-for the carbon fibre body

henk4
02-25-2004, 05:15 AM
the one with the best driver at the wheel. :D

Matra et Alpine
02-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Zonda and SLR-for the carbon fibre body
It's not correct to assume that C/F means stronger.
To a designer it means lighter.
It takes less weight to make a monocoque of equal strength in C/F over other materials.
So this thread is irrelevant as none of us know what design limits the team had in coming up with the structure shape, defomrable zones and materials.
I would uspect that they will all probably behave equally well as the design brief is probably common and known among the top designers :)

SL500
02-25-2004, 08:49 AM
yes,thanks for infos
they use the carbon fibre body for its weight

NAZCA C2
02-25-2004, 03:55 PM
The Mclaren F1 is probably pretty crashworthy at high speeds due to its full carbon fiber chasis.

crisis
02-25-2004, 04:56 PM
While it is an interesting hypothetical, I would be more interested in which supercar is the best at avoiding crashing at high speeds.

Matra et Alpine
02-25-2004, 06:23 PM
While it is an interesting hypothetical, I would be more interested in which supercar is the best at avoiding crashing at high speeds.
THe one owned by the best driver :)

werty
02-25-2004, 06:31 PM

that does sound more interesting, but would you rate it on cars with or without stabitly control chips, or rate them according to stability when the microchip is on or off

crisis
02-25-2004, 10:42 PM
that does sound more interesting, but would you rate it on cars with or without stabitly control chips, or rate them according to stability when the microchip is on or off
As Matra stated, the driver would be the overiding factor. I was actually, as usual, only being half serious, but if pushed I would rather rely on ability, common sense, unaided handling characteristics (no traction, yaw, stability control) and f*cking good brakes.

SL500
02-26-2004, 02:03 AM
Nice avatar crisis
2001 the space odise

henk4
02-26-2004, 11:58 AM
THe one owned by the best driver :)

Sometimes I like to quoted (see comment no.14), but it was on the previous page so no sweat. ;)

Deckard
02-26-2004, 02:15 PM
It's not correct to assume that C/F means stronger.
To a designer it means lighter.
It takes less weight to make a monocoque of equal strength in C/F over other materials.
So this thread is irrelevant as none of us know what design limits the team had in coming up with the structure shape, defomrable zones and materials.
I would uspect that they will all probably behave equally well as the design brief is probably common and known among the top designers :)

Quite correct. Whilst C/F will help in crumpling and absorbing the impact. Having a head on collinsion at something like 200mph will always be fatal due to the sudden reduction in speed. The G forces on the brain and neck will be too severe for anyone to survive.