PDA

View Full Version : what's more strong ?

rt/10
04-30-2003, 04:38 AM
What's more strong

carbon-fiber or steel ?

Meluion
04-30-2003, 01:02 PM
The're both strong, but carbon-fibre is much lighter, thus having more advantages (cornering, acceleration, fuel-consumption).
But I can't really tell which one is in a relatively way stronger...

motorhead
04-30-2003, 11:20 PM
carbon fibre is 2 times stronger then steel and five times lighter but cost a million times more(LOL)

Kossy
04-30-2003, 11:21 PM
I remember hearing, I think on Top Gear that steal costs around 49c per square meter and carbon fibre costs over $6 for the same amount.

motorhead
04-30-2003, 11:22 PM
yeah perfect example, COSTLY MAN

hotflank
05-02-2003, 12:13 AM
carbon fibre is defintely stronger, and it's the best type of material to use in racing cars, but it's freaking expensive, then again, who cares

Kossy
05-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by hotflank
carbon fibre is defintely stronger, and it's the best type of material to use in racing cars, but it's freaking expensive, then again, who cares ... The people paying for it.

motorhead
05-02-2003, 04:45 AM
yeah but they have so much money

Kossy
05-03-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by motorhead
yeah but they have so much money It doesnt mean they spend their money ridiculously. Most rich people are rich because they are money smart. I dont mean frugal, but not all millionaires are into bling bling.

Kudosdude
05-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Oh dear . . .
first ask yourself what you mean by "strong", by the sound of the thread you may even be asking the wrong question.

Ask in what context. If You require this information for a reason, ask again.

fpv_gtho
05-12-2003, 03:06 AM
if uve got the same thinkness carbon fibre and steel, the steel's gunna be stronger

ewingss
05-15-2003, 04:31 PM
advantages of carbon fiber.

repairable, 90% weight reduction, no corrosive, less maintenance, higher stiffnes-to-weight.
Carbon fiber is the most sophisticated material using in aircrafts, spaceships and racing cars, because of its superior rigidity-to weight ratio.

You can find all the information in ,

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/chassis

DSM owner
05-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Saying carbon fiber is stronger than steel is much too general of a thing to say. There are many properties of a material that define it's strength.

Tensile strength is the amount of resistance to pulling a material has. Carbon fiber has a higher tensile strength than most steel alloys.

Compression strength is the opposite of tensile strength and is generally the same as tensile strength.

Shear strength is the resistance to sideways force, like from a puncture or a sheet of metal being cut by scissors. Carbon fiber is not strong at all in this area. This is why it's not good for a body material, it can get punctured easily by a flying pebble or something.

Then there's a whole lot of other things, like how fast the materials strength breaks down after a certian number of cycles, hardness, toughness, and all kinds of other properties.