PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else hear of the "American" Top Gear?

"Clevor" Angel
01-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I hope this isn't true first of all, second sorry if its a repost but I didn't see anything realating to "New Top Gear" or "American Top Gear".
I keep hearing that The Discovery channel is making an Americanized Top Gear. Because someone decided the real Top Gear is to "harsh" on the States. Oh Boo-hoo. These will not be like the ones we had last year where they were cut up and partly re-filmed UK episodes. We have the dubious honor of getting a completely new one. WITHOUT CLARKSON, HAMMOND AND MAY! A drag racer, a reality tv show winner and some "good-mannered" guy are the new presenters. They get a garage, sunny weather and a ready-made circuit. But they say they keep the same Stig.

Now personally, I think the show is nothing without Clarkson and gang. Aside from the cars they make the show. This is a horrible idea and I'm positive they'll get at most a pilot episode and three regulars out and it'll suck just as bad as Fifth Gear. Anyone else hear this? Comments?

blackcat77
01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I watched it on Discovery and you could tell it had been chopped up pretty badly. An American version would probably just be boring because networks and programs here are so much in the pockets of corporations that they wouldn't dare be honest.

cmcpokey
01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
completely agree... probably just end up like Test Drive on Speed... where the car companies pay to have their car diven and talked about for a half hour. no harsh comments at all.

Zytek_Fan
01-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I am sure once Discovery Channel gets enough hate mail for this stupid idea they'll change their minds :p

taz_rocks_miami
01-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Hmmm, the History Channel (latin america) has a Top Gearish show coming up. The first show is gonna feature 4 supercars ( Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and an Aston Martin). The real funny part is that the host...is a an ex-pro wrestler!!!! LOL. This should be good...as in funny!!! :eek: :D

GT F1
01-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Hmmm, the History Channel (latin america) has a Top Gearish show coming up. The first show is gonna feature 4 supercars ( Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and an Aston Martin). The real funny part is that the host...is a an ex-pro wrestler!!!! LOL. This should be good...as in funny!!! :eek: :D
Yeah, it's already out in America. The ex-pro wrestler is Goldberg, I think.

F1_Master
01-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Is that the show with

Isn't that the one with Goldberg?

Rockefella
01-04-2006, 09:22 PM
The Discovery channel should keep, 'Mythbusters', 'It takes a Thief', and 'I shouldn't be Alive', then toss everything else.

kingofthering
01-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Is that the show with

Isn't that the one with Goldberg?
that ended,and they threw out the show about drag racing vintage cars.
I liked the old top gear on discovery and despise discovery for ditching it for crap like american chopper. If i want crap like that, i would go watch MTV

scottie300z
01-04-2006, 11:02 PM
I thought the goldberg show was a temporary thing part of boy toys week. so i didnt think they threw it out, but it just ran its preplanned course.

And why would i want a car show w/ people who dont know anything about cars and a drag racer? The real top gear had great personalities that also had some car knowledge and a real passion.

Viper007
01-04-2006, 11:43 PM
one word: LAME

nota
01-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Probably a repost but there's also an 'Australian' Top Gear, or more accurately a blatant ripoff thereof. Same format, same Hot Lap, same hotlap board, same incognito hotlap driver who by some miracle of individuality they've called 'The Chip' not The Stig

Its all quite embarrasing. Instead of TG's big studio crowd there's a smattering of dribble-chin drongo onlookers and that female co-host is a real car-idiot. The main presenter does try hard although the reflections from his shaven head can sometimes blind the viewer

But overseas UCP members may be interested in downloading some of the hotlaps which feature local Oz cars they otherwise haven't seen in action. It's filmed at Sydney's decent Oran Park race circuit and features lots of oversteer for the camera

http://www.drive.com.au/DriveTV/Archive.aspx :)

Spastik_Roach
01-05-2006, 12:19 AM
The Discovery channel should keep, 'Mythbusters', 'It takes a Thief', and 'I shouldn't be Alive', then toss everything else.

And the shows with big explosions on them...

spi-ti-tout
01-05-2006, 02:21 AM
That's why you people have the internet

Stop complaining and start downloading :D

Pando
01-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Great. The test track will be a Nascar oval I assume?

01-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Great. The test track will be a Nascar oval I assume?:D aparently the flew stiggy over and he went around both left AND RIGHT!!!! corners in a CLS 55 AMG

RacingManiac
01-05-2006, 10:23 AM
They don't need an oval for that.....you can probably find Parking lot in the US that's big enough to layout a test track like the UK TG.....:rolleyes:

At anyrate the hard part to actually get right is the humor and the high production value the TG has. Knowledgable presenter and so forth are not exactly true in TG anyway.....

PerfAdv
01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
At anyrate the hard part to actually get right is the humor and the high production value the TG has. Knowledgable presenter and so forth are not exactly true in TG anyway.....
I hear Larry, Moe, and Curly are looking for work, they're funny. :rolleyes:

kingofthering
01-05-2006, 09:51 PM
That's why you people have the internet

Stop complaining and start downloading :D
Some of us have crappy internet connections that can barely support this website.

my porsche
01-06-2006, 02:52 PM
a TG without the Hamster just isnt TG

h00t_h00t
01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
You could pay any fool to eat card.