PDA

View Full Version : more what should I buy crap....

sandwich
02-26-2004, 11:52 AM
I've got another question for you guys...

There's a couple of fresh options on ebay, and my car-dar has caught a few blips that look really cool.

There's a couple AMC eagle sx-4s, all in good shape from fairly reputable sellers...the possibility for a v8 swap takes my breath away, but i have heard that you can't modify the mounting positions of the shocks more than a few inches, which means a jaguar IRS swap would be out....not to mention all the work.

I've got a few lines on Audi Coupe quattros....beautiful cars, but german replacement prices and not too powerful stock. Great sound and ability to modify, plus rare and often lusted after.

mitsu eclipse gsx, heavily modified, 95-98...most expensive though, surprisingly. I know they can be tuned up, but I hate four cyllinders, and not big on the whole rice-style.

There's also a 3000gt vr4 with a blown tranny...real cheap, and if i could get a new tranny would make for a sweet car...but I would need to lose some serious weight...how can you drop 1000lbs from a car?

OR....keep my civic and get a bike...there's a kawasaki from 1977 converted to modern suspension and a turbocharger....could be a pretty mean ride.
Or, a benelli 750 sei, which is a six cyllinder cruiser from the seventies...also a pretty sweet bike.

everything is around 5g, and just about all of them require some work of some sort....any ideas? I just want to hear some input..

Niko_Fx
02-26-2004, 12:16 PM
I've got another question for you guys...

There's a couple of fresh options on ebay, and my car-dar has caught a few blips that look really cool.

There's a couple AMC eagle sx-4s, all in good shape from fairly reputable sellers...the possibility for a v8 swap takes my breath away, but i have heard that you can't modify the mounting positions of the shocks more than a few inches, which means a jaguar IRS swap would be out....not to mention all the work.

I've got a few lines on Audi Coupe quattros....beautiful cars, but german replacement prices and not too powerful stock. Great sound and ability to modify, plus rare and often lusted after.

mitsu eclipse gsx, heavily modified, 95-98...most expensive though, surprisingly. I know they can be tuned up, but I hate four cyllinders, and not big on the whole rice-style.

There's also a 3000gt vr4 with a blown tranny...real cheap, and if i could get a new tranny would make for a sweet car...but I would need to lose some serious weight...how can you drop 1000lbs from a car?

OR....keep my civic and get a bike...there's a kawasaki from 1977 converted to modern suspension and a turbocharger....could be a pretty mean ride.
Or, a benelli 750 sei, which is a six cyllinder cruiser from the seventies...also a pretty sweet bike.

everything is around 5g, and just about all of them require some work of some sort....any ideas? I just want to hear some input..

Well, dropping 1000lbs from a 3000gt vr4 sounds impossible, you would have to put everything including doors, hoods etc into carbon fiber change seats, drop the sound sistems, electric windows etc and after all that I don't believe it wouldn't be even close to 1000lbd and also very expensive. The tranny sounds expensive too.

The bike is dangerous.... Even for a safe driver...

sandwich
02-26-2004, 02:11 PM
i probably should be working

sandwich
02-26-2004, 02:13 PM
i probably should be working

1 2 3 4 5

Matra et Alpine
02-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Don't go near the Benelli 6 unless you're only going to take it out on dry days.
Friend had one here in Scotland and we used to take bets on how many cylinders it would run on. It was the only bike that as you revved it would change from 2 to 6 then 3 then 5 then 1 then 6 cylinders.
Terrible Italian electrics !!
Watch out for torbo'ed bikes they wheelie SOOO quickly that owneres usually end up dumping on their back at least once in their ownership.
Don't know about US bike prices, but get a new GSX-R 1000 for 7000 GBP. That used to be $10K, guess exchange rate hurts you just now. But, you should be able to get 2 year old Gixxers for that price. That way you've a bike designed to provide power, speed, braking and handling rather than modified !
You know you'll never go wrong with a Honda, VFR is a great bike ( not the VTEC 800 it's expensive to maintain ) looks like a tourer, handles like a sportsbike and is VERY easy to ride fast.
The benefit of a bike is that you get to chose in the morning the best way to travel that day. I've seen me leave 2 hours early and go to work via the highlands of Scotland :) and then not get back until midnight with a BIG smile on my face.
Then when it's raining or cold, take the car :(

sandwich
02-26-2004, 06:02 PM
thanks for the advice, i know nothing about benelli's but i've read up a little bit, seemed to be a decent bike, but i've heard some horror stories about the italians...
the kawa i just spotted on ebay and thought it would be really fun. I love naked bikes more than anything, the duke monster is one of my all-time favorites. I just thought that kz would be somewhat unique, the guy who owns it took the whole thing down and it's ready to be rebuilt. He's got a new fork and shocks and brakes and swingarm on the thing, it looks like a great bike, not sure about the orange and rootbeer though. Here's more info kz 1000 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2462124899&category=6710) . I'd have to pay shipping though, and at 4600 I'd be in monster 600 or even 750 territory. I just really like the way that bike looks for some reason.

Spastik_Roach
02-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Take a Audi Quattro. Not too powerful maybe but pretty light and legendary for its rallying. Plus if you keep it mint in about 15 years it'll be worth heaps.

Matra et Alpine
02-28-2004, 04:23 AM
Take a Audi Quattro. Not too powerful maybe but pretty light and legendary for its rallying. Plus if you keep it mint in about 15 years it'll be worth heaps.
Ah the wonders of advertising and 'image'.

The original Quattro's took rallying by storm because they were the first manufacturer to really take 4WD seriously.

As everyone else jumped on, Audi got serious competition and had to completely redevelop the chassis and bodyshell with special lshort and light bodies. The most successful Quattros did NOT use standard suspension. The struts were specials built by MBB ( aircraft company ) in exotic alloys and were $5k EACH, The shells were built in Ingolstadt and major repairs needed 'return to factry' for the 80. Brother got 'stung' a couple of times :(

The Quattro rally cars did NOT have a lot in common with the road-going cars.
The do NOT do well in GroupN ( A ) where modifications are limited.
Reason ? - they're big and heavy :(

Don't let that put anyone off though. They're still bloody fast, just not in the same place as Lotus, TVR, Alfa - are all European fast cars expensive for spares in the US ?

sandwich
02-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Lotus, TVR, Alfa - are all European fast cars expensive for spares in the US ?

generally....we don't really see lotus TVR OR Alfa, unless it's a spyder, elan, or the very very occasional TVR...i can't even think of the name of the model. I guess there just isn't a huge market for eurpoean cars here, it's mostly american and asian, I think. (along with german)

So would a UR-Q make for a good car? I'm honestly probably not going to get to rally with it, but the possibility of doing it is very cool. I'd consider engine swaps too, like an AAN. I guess my real desire is to turn it into a replica of the S1, and yes I know that's impossible, but you could get the same HP and outward appearance, along with reasonable chassis improvements...just to make a fun car.

What did you think of that bike?

Spastik_Roach
02-28-2004, 01:51 PM
I need a new t-shirt. I got sucked in by Audi marketing :D