PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best handling supercar ever?

carbrochuretom
01-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Personally I think this one

VVVVVVVV
VVVVVV
VVVVV
vvv
vv
v

lightweight
01-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Please define "best handling supercar"

carbrochuretom
01-07-2006, 08:10 AM
I dunno...best around a track

Street_Dreamer
01-07-2006, 08:11 AM
if the Bugatti Veyron is "just like a big elise" i'm opting for that as the best

:Exige:
01-07-2006, 08:13 AM
I'd make a guess that it's the Veyron. However, if you count the Radical SR8 as a supercar, then that is.

Matra et Alpine
01-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Please define which track

carbrochuretom
01-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Please define which track

Haha:)...take your pick...i wasnt being specific

maxxcab
01-07-2006, 08:34 AM
this has the best handling

Matra et Alpine
01-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Haha:)...take your pick...i wasnt being specific
But you kind of have to be.
knockhill or Rockingham ? BIG difference in what wins.
Road Atlanta or Monaco ??
Tight turns, undulations, off-camber turns on rises, long straights , sweepers --- all will vary which one is "ultimate" :D

Sant'Agata
01-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Use laguna Seca.

carbrochuretom
01-07-2006, 08:47 AM
But you kind of have to be.
knockhill or Rockingham ? BIG difference in what wins.
Road Atlanta or Monaco ??
Tight turns, undulations, off-camber turns on rises, long straights , sweepers --- all will vary which one is "ultimate" :D

OK then.... lets say Monaco :D

RazaBlade
01-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Carrera GT.

I dont see how this can work unless theres a consistent track and driver who can feedback and tell us which he felt handled the best. Just because its the fastest around a track doesnt necessarily mean its the best handling, sure itll count for a lot, but something with tonnes of power may get round just as quick....

01-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Don't you just love it when people try and make things more complicated than they need to be. Who's with me on the Radical SR8?
http://www.cgimotorsports.com/images/sr80121202large.jpg

01-07-2006, 09:43 AM
this has the best handling
If we're counting race cars, then an F1 car clearly has the best handling ;)

dydzi
01-07-2006, 09:47 AM
OK then.... lets say Monaco :D

that's really not the best idea... monaco is a very specific, slow track

Matra et Alpine
01-07-2006, 10:27 AM
If it's Monaco then lightweight wins every tmie - Radical it is then :D

Cotterik
01-07-2006, 10:28 AM
hahaha i love the first post in this thread

and how can any of us know, have we driven them? no. most cars are made to handle differently for different purposes so you cant realy define it.

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Best handling in a Supercar should be defined by two main criterion. One, ultimate capability which can be obtained objectively. The hard figures like max cornering G's and max braking ability. Two, subjectives like how the car feels at the limits of adhesion. The cars ability to communicate what it'll do it you accelerate mid-corner, brake and turn, turn and brake. Is the car a willing dance partner or heavy-footed and dances like a pig.

The best-handling will be, just from a physics stand-point, a mid-engined car possibly with AWD. Of course, the lighter the better. It's a supercar so F1, Touring race cars , and the Caterham types are all out.

The likely winners: Enzo, CGT, Koenigsegg, Veyron...

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 10:32 AM
If it's Monaco then lightweight wins every tmie - Radical it is then :D
This is not a supercar. Radicals are purpose built race/track cars. ;)

01-07-2006, 10:33 AM
and how can any of us know, have we driven them? no.
You could say that about pretty much everything about cars though ... and if we did, we'd get nowhere. We can find out from articles, lap times on various circuits, driver opinions and even from a specification sheet. I swear people on UCP nowadays bring out the "we haven't driven them" card because they're too lazy to have a debate :p

Matra et Alpine
01-07-2006, 10:33 AM
This is not a supercar. Radicals are purpose built race/track cars. ;)
Not really.

THey are ROAD CARS that you can setup for the track.

:D

"purpose built race/track cars" aren't road legal.

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Not really.

THey are ROAD CARS that you can setup for the track.

:D

"purpose built race/track cars" aren't road legal.
Teh Radical doesn't look street legal, so I thougt. You mean people drive Radicals on public roads in Europe? :eek:

rev440
01-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Theres a street legal radical in Japan I think. The cars amazing and probably the best handeling car.

01-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Teh Radical doesn't look street legal, so I thougt. You mean people drive Radicals on public roads in Europe? :eek:
Theres 2 Radicals in my area alone. I normally see one of them atleast once a week.

Matra et Alpine
01-07-2006, 10:56 AM
yep :)

Don't you just want to be HERE :D

in reality, nobody is going to own a Radical as a family car, but as a "fun" car for good weather.

scientific
01-07-2006, 10:58 AM
corvette z06

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 10:59 AM
I know Wikipedia is the 'what I know' encyclopedia and not always accurate. However, in this question about a popular understanding/definition it works well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar

The commonly accepted supercars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supercars

Matra et Alpine
01-07-2006, 11:03 AM
I know Wikipedia is the 'what I know' encyclopedia and not always accurate. However, in this question about a popular understanding/definition it works well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar

The commonly accepted supercars:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supercars
Proving how absolutley useless and STUPID Wiki can be at times.

They have been doing a trawl and correction on a lot of their entries recently.

Clearly they've not gotten round to this yet.

Like where is any of the ULTIMAs ?

so on what basis are you saying "it works well" ???????

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 11:05 AM
yep :)

Don't you just want to be HERE :D

in reality, nobody is going to own a Radical as a family car, but as a "fun" car for good weather.
Instead of wishing so much was different HERE...it might be good to move.:D A car that's built primarily for speed for the street seems oxymoronic.:$ So far having fun isn't against the law so you could tool around at legalish speeds and just take corners without slowing. :D

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Like where is any of the ULTIMAs ?
Ultima's kit car image. Say, the two of us weld up a spaceframe and bolt in the 20B, tri-rotor Wankel, would this be a supercar or a kit car?

so on what basis are you saying "it works well" ??????? This goes back to the
It defines what the term "supercar" means. Or rather, it spells out what people understand "supercars" to be.

01-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Actually I was wondering what one of the new 390bhp Radical V8s would be like in the Ultima. I know of people who have put Lexus V8s producing over 1000bhp in their for endurances and of course the most commonly used Chevy small-block V8 ... the record-breaking car uses a 640bhp version but they say the car can handle 720bhp before dieing :D

Matra et Alpine
01-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Ultima's kit car image. Say, the two of us weld up a spaceframe and bolt in the 20B, tri-rotor Wankel, would this be a supercar or a kit car?
BUT it is NOT a "kit car".

American's get confused because of your restrictive car rules to protect American car makers :) So it gets shipped in 2 bits so it isnt' a "real car" for the American market :)

You describe yourself what a kit car is.
If "we" weld it up then "we" bought a kit.
I'm struggling to see why the concept of what IS a "kit " and isnt' is so hard other than the Americna market letft it's great kit builders behind as PR spending convinced that the big 3 coudl produce th ebest cars for everythign :D

It defines what the term "supercar" means. Or rather, it spells out what people understand "supercars" to be.
First it accepts it's not accurate and then has a feeble list with MANY missing :D

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 12:05 PM
BUT it is NOT a "kit car".

American's get confused because of your restrictive car rules to protect American car makers :) So it gets shipped in 2 bits so it isnt' a "real car" for the American market :)
I don't think the Ultimas are "kit cars" anymore, but it's the image that's leftover.:( I don't quite see Ultima as a supercar in the same sense as a CGT or Veyron tho, and this is why I brought up the "kit car" comment.

You describe yourself what a kit car is.
If "we" weld it up then "we" bought a kit.
I'm struggling to see why the concept of what IS a "kit " and isnt' is so hard other than the Americna market letft it's great kit builders behind as PR spending convinced that the big 3 coudl produce th ebest cars for everythign :D
My personal definition of "kit" is a chassis builder who's incapable of building own engines. "Kit car" companies build chassis and installs customers engine of choice. If a smaller company has an arrangement with an engine builder and solely use their engines, then it's not a "kit-type" arrangement.

First it accepts it's not accurate and then has a feeble list with MANY missing :D
Definitions of colloquial terms is not an exact science. :D WIKI could be better managed though.

Vindesh17
01-07-2006, 12:25 PM
corvette z06

what kind of weed are you smoking to say that, and if you do can I have some? :D

Matra et Alpine
01-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't think the Ultimas are "kit cars" anymore, but it's the image that's leftover.:( I don't quite see Ultima as a supercar in the same sense as a CGT or Veyron tho, and this is why I brought up the "kit car" comment.
yeah, some even think Lotus are kits because of the 7 and Elan :D
SO your definition of "supercar" has to have opulence ?? How much ??? :)

My personal definition of "kit" is a chassis builder who's incapable of building own engines.
So All those Fords with Mazda engines are "kits" ?
And everyone running the PSA diesels too ??
Incapable and chosing not to are different things. What's the point of building your own if you can buy it in just as good ?

carbrochuretom
01-07-2006, 12:40 PM
hahaha i love the first post in this thread

and how can any of us know, have we driven them? no. most cars are made to handle differently for different purposes so you cant realy define it.
Well Im sure most of us will have watched enough Motor programmes to know what the best handling supercars are.

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 12:46 PM
yeah, some even think Lotus are kits because of the 7 and Elan :D
SO your definition of "supercar" has to have opulence ?? How much ??? :)
Not just mine but by the "popular" definition. Supercars are supposed to be exclusive, even pricewise.

So All those Fords with Mazda engines are "kits" ?
And everyone running the PSA diesels too ??
Incapable and chosing not to are different things. What's the point of building your own if you can buy it in just as good ?
Ford is clearly capable of making their own engines. However, having a large stake in Mazda, why not use their engines also. Fewer recalls too. :D

aNOBLEman
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM

We can get them in the US now as well. They are classified as "kit-cars" though, no surprise there though. In R&T they only talk about the SR3 so I don't know if we can get the SR8's or not.You can get the SR3 with 275hp so either car is plenty fast. :D

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Supercar -A Definition

"First of all, looks. A supercar has to be visually arresting, needs to attract attention when standing still, in a parking lot or at the side of the road. A car enthusiast will walk over to it, peer round it, check its lines are as dramatic in the metal as they were when he drooled over them in his regular motoring magazine. But a true supercar will also catch the eye of those who have little interst in great feats of motor engineering. On the move, the real test of a car's visual appeal is whether it attracts attention from drivers travelling in the opposite direction on a motorway. If their eyes are drawn across six carriageways to your vehicle (or if they hang out the window to take pictures), you're in a supercar.

It needs to sound the part too; indeed, the fact that the noise comes from the engine bay rather than a drainpipe underneath its rear bumper raises your car above the hot hatch throng. Even in this era of muted exhaust notes, a supercar should breathe menace(or fire) be it a throbbing six-cylinder, grumbling eight or tem, or a buzzing twelve.

Finally, it should be fast - very fast ..................." - Classic Cars Magazine
As seen on: http://www.dragonmotorcars.com/
A "kit car" company that wants to stretch the definition.

scientific
01-09-2006, 12:46 PM
what kind of weed are you smoking to say that, and if you do can I have some? :D

WORD it's that supadupa ish u know..i smoke it to keep my car dreams alive:D

kingofthering
01-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Audi A3.. hahaha no, it's the Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren

01-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren
Would you like the impossible task of backing that up? ;)