PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Turbo'd M3 in my shop today.

Newbomb Turk
01-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I own a small detail shop and a buddy just bought this so i buffed it out for him. Thought i'd post some pics.

1998 3.2 L 18,000 miles on motor, 57,000 on 1995 body
- Stage 1 Generation 2 Turbo kit 400 HSP at 10 PSI
- Full electronic GREDDY system
- Front mount intercooler/ with additional fuel injection
- Clutchmaster Stage 5 Kevlair clutch/lightweight fly-wheel
- 3 inch exhaust motor out
- Wheels and tires, 19 inch symbolics SL-15 265 in rear 235 in front
- Rear of car widened to fit larger tires {didn't like wide body kits so had professional autobody work done by head of RAY CATINA}

Newbomb Turk
01-07-2006, 04:06 PM
More.........

F1_Master
01-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Looks somewhat like my bud's ol' E36 before the accident.

You did some fantastic work.:cool:

Newbomb Turk
01-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Engine.........

mclaren_crazy
01-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Good call on not using a wide body, that would start to make it look ricey. Now it jsut looks like one mean german ass kicking machine

NSXType-R
01-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Wow, that looks great.

coolieman1220
01-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I LOVE M3's and this one is great!!

Quiggs
01-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I like it all except for the wheels. Even the hood doesn't bother me that much.

You should come wax my car.

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I own a small detail shop and a buddy just bought this so i buffed it out for him.
This one shop once talked my father into having his car detailed and they buffed it out. Less than a year later a strip started to appear along the centerline of the hood and roof. What the guy did is take off so much paint that in the portions that got buffed from both sides, the paint got worn to the primer! We had to repaint the car.

What's the fascination with rubbing layers of paint off nice cars? Since then we don't let anyone near our cars, for buffing.

Quiggs
01-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Buffing a car correctly brings back the showroom shine that years of dirt/snow/ice/sun take away. It sounds like someone who had no idea what they were doing did your dad's car.

PerfAdv
01-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Sure, I'm sure the guy who ruined my father's car didn't know but how can anyone be sure how much dull/oxidized paint is coming off. In cars with clearcoats isn't a good cleaner-wax like Zymols enough? The problem is those high speed polishers the pros use. The cheaper electric powered orbital polishers might take more work but don't take off layers of paint.

QBridge
01-07-2006, 09:15 PM
The rims I think are too chromie. The front bumper makes the car look like a snow plow. I would also maybe get an OEM spec M3 hood from the newer M3s out now but mayde out of something light weight - don't know the model number, EWhatever.
The car looks good even though blue is not my favorite color. What is up with this blue color thing going on these days?

How many miles on it? How much would you sell it for? These new BMWs are shit except the M3 and M5 - yes I said it.

Guest2
01-07-2006, 09:37 PM
How many miles on it? How much would you sell it for? These new BMWs are shit except the M3 and M5 - yes I said it.

58,000 miles on the 1995 body and 18,000 miles on the 1998 engine.

Won't sell it for a good long time. Just had it shipped and delivered after some serious **** ups by the towing company. Newbomb Turk saved my ass big time. The work he did on this car is utterly amazing! If anyone is in the Minneapolis area be sure and contact him for all your body detailing.

Quiggs
01-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Have your intercooler and piping anodized black for the ultimate in stealth. And get LM's. Or CH's. Then you'll be true ballin' yo.

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/images/WheelModels/bbs_lm.png
LM

http://www.1010tires.com/images/wheels/bbs-ch.jpg
CH

Guest2
01-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the great compliments but I think this thread to me is more about the great work Newbomb Turk did to get it looking this good. It was in bad shape after being shipped from NJ. It appeared to be covered in what I first thought was grease or some other type of oil. He may be able to explain it better, but his clean up work is incredible.

Vindesh17
01-07-2006, 10:07 PM
nice car, if I modded my car, it would be along the same line as yours, not overdone.

coolieman1220
01-07-2006, 11:08 PM
my uncle has an auto body shop and well buffing it is hard becuase you have to do it right. to fast you'll burn the paint. to slow won't do nuttin. and u gotta have the right touch.

Newbomb Turk
01-08-2006, 01:11 AM
This one shop once talked my father into having his car detailed and they buffed it out. Less than a year later a strip started to appear along the centerline of the hood and roof. What the guy did is take off so much paint that in the portions that got buffed from both sides, the paint got worn to the primer! We had to repaint the car.

What's the fascination with rubbing layers of paint off nice cars? Since then we don't let anyone near our cars, for buffing.

WTF does that have to do with me? 1 person doesn't know what they're doing and than means none of us do? I've been doing this for years and done some very high end big $$$ cars and haven't had a complaint.

PerfAdv
01-08-2006, 06:05 PM
WTF does that have to do with me? 1 person doesn't know what they're doing and than means none of us do? I've been doing this for years and done some very high end big $$$ cars and haven't had a complaint.
Don't take it as a personal attack my comment is about the dangers of buffing in general. The topic came up and I shared something that I experienced first hand. It's good that you're confident in your ability but how is someone to know who's capable or not. Like one of posts above states, it's a fine art and those who don't know either take off too little with no benefit or burn off too much paint.

Another issue is swirl marks. I've seen so many, especially high end cars with swirl marks. An unsuspecting customer hands over their keys for a full detailing and they end up with car that looks like its been done with abrasive scotch brite pads.

Since a lot of people are in this business obviously there isn't an epidemic of ruined paint jobs. However, having had a bad experience I see it as kinda like playing Russian roulette. It's hit or miss, but a chance I'm not willing to take.

Being in this field of work, what are your recommendations in being assured of finding a good shop. And not walking into a shop where they'll have the new guy practice in perfecting his skills. :D

Guest2
01-08-2006, 11:24 PM
I speak very highly for Newbomb Turk. My car had some scratches in the paint after attempting to remove the grease my self. After he finished the wax job I would say about 90% of the scratches disapeared. There are a lot of idiots out there, but I will swear by Newbomb Turk's work.

Newbomb Turk
01-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Don't take it as a personal attack my comment is about the dangers of buffing in general. The topic came up and I shared something that I experienced first hand. It's good that you're confident in your ability but how is someone to know who's capable or not. Like one of posts above states, it's a fine art and those who don't know either take off too little with no benefit or burn off too much paint.

Another issue is swirl marks. I've seen so many, especially high end cars with swirl marks. An unsuspecting customer hands over their keys for a full detailing and they end up with car that looks like its been done with abrasive scotch brite pads.

Since a lot of people are in this business obviously there isn't an epidemic of ruined paint jobs. However, having had a bad experience I see it as kinda like playing Russian roulette. It's hit or miss, but a chance I'm not willing to take.

Being in this field of work, what are your recommendations in being assured of finding a good shop. And not walking into a shop where they'll have the new guy practice in perfecting his skills. :D

Ask for refferals. That's about the best you can do. Maybe take a look at the type of cars they're doing. The higher end the more likely they do quality work. Ask ALOTTA questions. Especially about the products the use.