PDA

View Full Version : Period clothing

Cedric
04-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Do you think people who race historic cars should wear period racewear? I find they should, cos most of the drivers now are anachronisms, it's like a modern F1-pilot squeezed into a thoroughbred racing machine. Of course that might question the safety, but if you want safety you don't go racing an old car, instead opt for something new with well-thought safety features.
I'd find it cool to see racers dressed like they used to when you go to a historic race meeting.

henk4
05-02-2003, 09:37 AM
You go historic races to enjoy races. You would like to see these cars being driven in anger. So the people who are trying to amuse you are taking a risk. I absolutely can't blame them for wearing suitable helmets, and in old single seaters seat harnesses are not even available. You may have seen the pictures of the Dino of Nigel Corner taking off at Goodwood. He survived but barely, and will not race any more. So yes, I agree looking at Tony Smith with a big white helmet sitting in an alfa P3 is anachronistic, but otherwise we may not be able to see these cars at all. On the other hand the dress code at the Goodwood revival meeting is clearly over the top.

Cedric
05-02-2003, 09:45 AM
Nor can I blame them for wearing modern overalls and helmets. I think it'd be cool to see some dressing like they used to, in doing so you get the impression of a real timewarp. In addition, they're not only entertaining us, more themselves! What's the most fun, in the car or out?

henk4
05-02-2003, 10:26 AM
of course the drivers are having fun. Your point was however how you wanted them to look for your amusement.

Cedric
05-02-2003, 10:48 AM
I happen to live in the wrong period. If I race old cars I wear old clothing. That's just my opinion, the others can do as they wish. And even I like to see these cars race in spite of what the drivers wear.

henk4
05-02-2003, 12:51 PM
I have attended races where a driver actually died (1968 or thereabouts) and I like to see people taking any reasonable precaution to prevent that even at the expense of esthetics. If I watch a demonstration of a Spitfire plane I absolutely don't care if the pilot has a modern chute.

Cedric
05-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Motor sport used to be very dangerous. The drivers that survived are lucky, I often hear Jacky Ickx saying that. What's your point with the Spitfire?

henk4
05-03-2003, 12:59 AM
period chutes were marginal

kennyknoxville
05-07-2003, 09:04 PM
my uncle drives an 85 I-ROC. he says he just doesnt feel as connected with the car if hes not sporting hi tops, a neon track suit with matching headband and a mullet.

bikini-girl
12-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Really entertaining Forum entry. I'm a Italian and I definitely want to visit sometime soon! Nice to hear from you and what an interesting forum.

See you Later. Bye.
Jessica ;)

Rockefella
12-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Really entertaining Forum entry. I'm a Italian and I definitely want to visit sometime soon! Nice to hear from you and what an interesting forum.

See you Later. Bye.
Jessica ;)

I don't get it..

NSXType-R
12-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Such an old thread....?

kingofthering
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't get it..

I think it's Woulter/Henk's mistress.

PAY HER DAMN IT!!!!

J/K... :D :D :D