PDA

View Full Version : Engieer drivers

Falcon500
02-27-2004, 06:11 AM
On and interesting not australia has had many engieneer driver with the likes of multible bathurst champion Larry perkins one time winner Kevin Bartlette, winner of nothing garry rodgers (long story as to why my lack of respect) and numerous other im wondering if there are any other noteworthy engieer drivers that have cropped up in other countrys (or even australia and i neglected to mention them) because i view it is a brilliant combination...only one that comes to mind was jack roush (USA) who was no where near the driver he was an engieer.

Wouter Melissen
02-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Mike Parkes. One of the rare Brits to work at Maranello, great engineer and driver. Bruce McLaren is another, although he was more a driver / team manager.

henk4
02-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Interesting. Are we talking about engineers that became drivers or is it the other way around.
I think if the second option is followed, than Australia has also produced the great Jack Brabham, New Zealand had Chris Amon, who long after retirement was still developing front suspensions for Toyota and of course John Surtees can be mentioned as well. But the most famous of all if of course Colin Chapman, who started as a racing driver in the fifties. Bob Wallace of Lamborghini fame was more of an engineer, but if old Ferruccio had decided to enter the racing world, Bob would probably have been one of his pilots.

Falcon500
02-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Well its either way i am pretty sure larry perkins i talked about was self taught before he got into motor sport and didnt become a full timedriver untill the late 80s...Garry rodgers i think got into engierring and then later unsucsessfully dabbled in raceing.
Yes jack brabbam i for got about him...his advances were mostly chassis design because i know most of his engine were built by a company called REPCO.